Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: September 2005 Birthdays - 1

September 2005 Birthdays - 1

Hello, boys and girls!

If you have a September birthday, now would be the time to post your request!

Birthday kids, please-pretty-please-with-a-cherry-on-top visit the workshop, put your story in it, and enter the September challenge. Please?

And for your convinience, here's the directions to the whole deal.

Allie

September 2 - Jenni: I love the Silmarillion best, especially the Feanorians, but I also love LOTR and Legolas is my favourite character. The Hobbit is also wonderful, and my favourite character in that is Bilbo.

I like romantic, angsty, and sexy stories. I like Fëanor, Maedhros, Maglor, Melian, Estë, Irmo, Galadriel, Fingolfin, Finrod Felagund, and Voronwë and would love any drabbles that anyone can think up about them. Oh, and naughty is more than okay, het or slash ;)

September 16 - Dawn Felagund: Those who know me know that I don't dally much in LotR and prefer the Silmarillion and the First Age and that I love the House of Finwe, particularly those of the Feanorian variety.

Therefore, my request is for drabbles (or whatever) pertaining to Feanor's family. Only I don't want horrible angst and blood and gore and kinslaying--it's my birthday, and I want to think happy thoughts! Instead, I would like ordinary or joyful moments involving the Feanorians. You may involve any other characters that you can weasel into the tale--First Age or not--but I ask for a Feanorian at the center, and in a good mood for a change.

September 17 - Arandil: (1) Feanor. Anything about Feanor as long he is not protrayed as evil!Feanor. Angsty Feanor is fine. Fluffy Feanor, Adult-Situations Feanor, Forge-smut - whatever. Also, his two eldest sons would be cool. (Maedhros and Maglor).
(2) Legolas and Thranduil - happy father/sonness. Or either one by themselves.
(3) Elladan and/or Elrohir - either by themselves or together. No Arwen. She's worse than T.B. (aka Galadriel).
(4) An evil drabble - from an orc's perspective, or the MoS, or Sauron , or the ickle dark lord himself, Morgoth - anyone from the "other" side... Extra points if Morgoth abuses Sauron somehow. Extra EXTRA points if it somehow involves the shaving of Galadriel's head.
(5) And if anyone wants to write me a drabble where Glorfindel kicks the crap out of Arwen for stealing his horse, more power to you.

Provisions:
- no slash.

September 21 - Winterhawk: As a child of Mabon, (the Autumnal Equinox) I would dearly love a tale of the Elves of Greenwood at this time of year and if you can work in *Good* Thranduil and Legolas it would be wonderful. Mithrandir is also one of my favourite characters from LoTR. I am fairly easy to please--anything with elves from any Age would be greatly appreciated. A little humour, a little lust...but no slash.

September 29 - Tanaqui: My birthday is September 29th. Anyone with even a passing acquaintance with me knows that my favourite Middle-earth culture is Gondor. If more proof of my obsession were needed, I've recently completed an overview of the History of Gondor, as well as a biography of the Gondorians in the HASA Resources section.

Having SSP'd my efforts in Resources (go on, check out all the hard work of the Resources geeks! You know you want to....) and provided you with such rich source materal , I would like to request birthday drabbles about any moment in Gondorian history. Perhaps you can tell me what it was like for Isidur and Anárion to found this new kingdom; or what Húrin of Emyn Arnen, the steward at the time, felt when King Telemnar and his children -- and the White Tree -- died during the Great Plague; or what the ordinary people of Gondor felt when the crown passed to Eärnil after Ondoher and his sons and nephew died in battle. If Gondor isn't your cup of tea, I'd be delighted by drabbles involving interactions between your favourite culture and Gondorians. No slash, please, and I prefer book!canon to movie!canon.

September 30 - Gandalf's apprentice: Anything involving Aragorn or Gandalf the Grey finding out something about the other. It could be a conversation or event between them, or one of them interacting with another character (Aragorn hearing a story about Gandalf from Bilbo, for example). Funny, sad, whatever. Sex fine too, although I don't personally see their relationship as slash. It must be Gandalf the Grey, but it can be memories of before the war if you want to do a Fourth Age drabble.

Re: September 2005 Babies

Me! Me! Me!

*ahem*

*tries to look dignified...*

My birthday is September 29th. Anyone with even a passing acquaintance with me knows that my favourite Middle-earth culture is Gondor. If more proof of my obsession were needed, I've recently completed an overview of the History of Gondor, as well as a biography of the Gondorians in the HASA Resources section.

Having SSP'd my efforts in Resources (go on, check out all the hard work of the Resources geeks! You know you want to....) and provided you with such rich source materal , I would like to request birthday drabbles about any moment in Gondorian history. Perhaps you can tell me what it was like for Isidur and Anárion to found this new kingdom; or what Húrin of Emyn Arnen, the steward at the time, felt when King Telemnar and his children -- and the White Tree -- died during the Great Plague; or what the ordinary people of Gondor felt when the crown passed to Eärnil after Ondoher and his sons and nephew died in battle. If Gondor isn't your cup of tea, I'd be delighted by drabbles involving interactions between your favourite culture and Gondorians. No slash, please, and I prefer book!canon to movie!canon.

Thank you!

Cheers, Liz/Tanaqui

PS: I created a story and put it in the workshop Edit and entered the story in the challenge. Thanks for setting it all up, Allie!

Ah, so you're the one Barbara was talking about when she said someone was chomping at the bit...

Allie

PS- I officially you for putting your story in all the right places!

PPS- *frown* If the muse doesn't strike for Gondorian history, I've got quite the challenge: how can I conjure up a reasonable situation where a Gondorian and a Feanorian meet...?

NO!! BACK, FOUL BEAST, BACK I SAY!!

RUN AWAAAAAYYYYY!!!

Ah, so you're the one Barbara was talking about when she said someone was chomping at the bit...

I thought Liz showed great restraint - she waited nearly 45 minutes after you created the thread to post!

PPS- *frown* If the muse doesn't strike for Gondorian history, I've got quite the challenge: how can I conjure up a reasonable situation where a Gondorian and a Feanorian meet...?

How about Maglor at the seashore?

- Barbara

PS- I officially you for putting your story in all the right places!

But I just wanted to be able to demonstrate to everyone else how to set up a story and put it in all the right places.... *tries to look innocent*

Well, you know, the Seeing Stones were made by Feanor, and one of them looks directly back to the Undying Lands with straight sight....

Cheers, Liz

I would like to request birthday drabbles about any moment in Gondorian history.

And you accused me of requesting too broad a field for drabbles!  Because my life is in chaos recently and my muses uncooperative, I'm glad you've given me plenty of time to think.  Hmmmm....

Gwynnyd

And you accused me of requesting too broad a field for drabbles! Because my life is in chaos recently and my muses uncooperative, I'm glad you've given me plenty of time to think. Hmmmm....

But I gave you lots of source material. And "Gondorian History" does include 2957-2980, when a certain scruffy ranger and future king was footling around under an assumed name in Gondor....

Cheers, Liz

Felak's B-Day Request

My birthday is 16 September. Those who know me know that I don't dally much in LotR and prefer the Silmarillion and the First Age and that I love the House of Finwe, particularly those of the Feanorian variety.

Therefore, my request is for drabbles (or whatever) pertaining to Feanor's family. Only I don't want horrible angst and blood and gore and kinslaying--it's my birthday, and I want to think happy thoughts! Instead, I would like ordinary or joyful moments involving the Feanorians. You may involve any other characters that you can weasel into the tale--First Age or not--but I ask for a Feanorian at the center, and in a good mood for a change.

Thanks to all. Best regards and happy writing

Dawn Felagund

For Dawn Felagund, 16 September

Dawn Felagund wrote: my request is for drabbles (or whatever) pertaining to Feanor's family. Only I don't want horrible angst and blood and gore and kinslaying--it's my birthday, and I want to think happy thoughts! Instead, I would like ordinary or joyful moments involving the Feanorians. You may involve any other characters that you can weasel into the tale--First Age or not--but I ask for a Feanorian at the center, and in a good mood for a change.

Hi Dawn

Well, I totally surprised myself by not only thinking up a potential post-Valinor happy Feanorian moment, but finding the idea took me by the throat and demanded to be written now (and I am so not a writer of First Age and especially Feanorian stuff... ) !

Maglor and I wish you a very happy early birthday.

Harmony

Elrond looked up from fingers drawing melodies out of his harp like ripples on a stream. Birdsong trills were skylarking from the flute into which his brother breathed life.

Their gazes met. Then Elros glanced over to where another leant against a tree, his rich voice rolling out over the forest, telling of other woods he might wander no more. With unspoken signal, the brethren stilled their music.

After a moment Maglor, too, faltered. He turned, frowning. “Why--?”

Elros smiled. “We would rather hear you without the distraction of trying not to mar your performance with our own fumblings.”

Great was the sorrow of Eärendil and Elwing for the ruin of the havens of Sirion, and the captivity of their sons, and they feared that they would be slain; but it was not so. For Maglor took pity upon Elros and Elrond, and he cherished them, and love grew after between them, as little might be thought….

The Silmarillion, Quenta Silmarillion, Ch 24, Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath

Cheers, Liz

Re: For Dawn Felagund, 16 September

That's very nice work, Liz; and a lovely treatment of my favorite plot twist in the Silm, i.e. Maglor's fostering the kids he and his brethren orphaned .

Raksha

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last year, I gave options and it worked out well. So I will do the same this year.

-Feanor. Anything about Feanor as long he is not protrayed as evil!Feanor. Angsty Feanor is fine. Fluffy Feanor, Adult-Situations Feanor, Forge-smut - whatever. Also, his two eldest sons would be cool. (Maedhros and Maglor)

- Legolas and Thranduil - happy father/sonness. Or either one by themselves.

- Elladan and/or Elrohir - either by themselves or together. No Arwen. She's worse than T.B. (aka Galadriel)

-An evil drabble - from an orc's perspective, or the MoS, or Sauron , or the ickle dark lord himself, Morgoth - anyone from the "other" side... Extra points if Morgoth abuses Sauron somehow. Extra EXTRA points if it somehow involves the shaving of Galadriel's head.

-And if anyone wants to write me a drabble where Glorfindel kicks the crap out of Arwen for stealing his horse, more power to you.

Provisions:
- no slash.

Have fun. Be crazy!!
-Arandil

Birthday: September 30. Request: anything involving Aragorn or Gandalf the Grey finding out something about the other. It could be a conversation or event between them, or one of them interacting with another character (Aragorn hearing a story about Gandalf from Bilbo, for example). Funny, sad, whatever. Sex fine too, although I don't personally see their relationship as slash. It must be Gandalf the Grey, but it can be memories of before the war if you want to do a Fourth Age drabble.

I hope you find some food for your muse!

Happy writing,
Gandalfs apprentice

Hi, Liz,

What a wonderfully unexpected surprise! Here, I came over to see what insanity perverseness drabbles Arandil was requesting and found that I already have a birthday drabble. Thank you so very much!

I love that Maglor (and Maedhros ;)) fostered the sons of Earendil. It, to me, demonstrates that despite their evil deeds they are, in their hearts, not evil. I am also currently fending off a sizeable nuzgul that begs me to consider how Maglor might have influenced Elrond's outlooks in the Third Age and how he remembered his foster father.

Thank you again and best regards to you,

Dawn Felagund

Jenni's B-Day Request!

Jenni's birthday is 2 September, and I am posting this on her behalf, as she has an ailing comp and Internet at the moment, and we wanted to make sure that she got her request in before her birthday on Friday.

Jenni likes romantic, angsty, and sexy stories. She likes Fëanor, Maedhros, Maglor, Melian, Estë, Irmo, Galadriel, Fingolfin, Finrod Felagund, and Voronwë and would love any drabbles that anyone can think up about them. Oh, and naughty is more than okay, het or slash ;)

In case you all haven't noticed, September is the month of the Feanor fangurl!

Best regards,

Dawn Felagund

Birthday drabble for Arandil

What Feanor Didn’t Get

“Do you have it?” the boy asked as his brother joined him in the bushes outside their father’s house.

Grinning, his twin held up the trophy. “She didn’t stir! Fast asleep!”

Braced, ready to fly, they lapsed into expectant silence, waiting for movement in the guest bedroom. And the signal came: a drawn-out shriek of outrage and fury and a string of Quenyan curses. “Where are they?” their grandmother shouted. “They will never sit down again!”

Satisfied smiles bloomed on twin faces. Clutching a thick lock of golden tresses, Elrohir said, “It’s worth it.” And they sped into the woods.

Note: This is as close as I could get to shaving Galadriel's head. A highly satisfying thought. I couldn't find a birthday drabble story for you, so I'm posting it here.

Hi Dawn (and Raksha)

So glad you liked the drabble. I had a lot of fun writing it, and must thank Barbara and Marta especially for the suggestions for improving the first draft.

I see you haven't yet got a story up in the Birthday Cards workshop (although well done to GA for getting a story sorted out!). The Instructions for Birthday Drabbling expain what to do. If you (and anyone else) put a story in there, I'd be happy to add my drabble to it.

Cheers, Liz
(who is so tempted by Arandil's request for Glorfindel getting stroppy about Arwen stealing his horse....)

OT: month of the Feanor fangurl... hm....

*strokes chin evil-villain-style*

Hm....

*murmurs to self thoughtfully*

Hm...........

I think, therefore I do.

Allie

What Feanor Didn’t Get

YAY!!! Thank you. That was a great way to include the twins AND a reference to Feanor.

I added a story to the workshop, so other people can put drabbles in there now? (Not sure how that works).

to see what insanity perverseness drabbles Arandil was requesting

Me? Insane? Perverse? You must be referring to my muse. *pushes Feanor forward* Here you go.

In case you all haven't noticed, September is the month of the Feanor fangurl!

Ok, who remembers International Legolas Month (June 2004). That was started because a bunch of June birthday drabble requests were for Legolas. And it spawned the International Legolas Month Song Parody Palooza Challenge. I say we go for it. IFMSPP - who's up for it? Dawn's already done "Blame Feanor" and "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Fëanor" from Vistula (with the He is HOT!) line.

We'd only need three more! C'mon! It's time for another Parody Palooza!!!!

Arandil:

So glad you liked the drabble. I added it to your birthday drabble story in the workshop--may you have many more!

This drabble was something of a milestone for me: it's the first story I've written that didn't have Aragorn in it. Now I face the challenge of all the First Age drabble requests from the other September babies! I hope my muse is inspired.

G.A. 

Hi, Liz,

I have added a story to the workshop. Thanks again for the lovely drabble

Dawn Felagund

Hi Dawn

I have added a story to the workshop.

And I have added my drabble.

Thanks again for the lovely drabble

You're very welcome! I really enjoyed writing it and being taken out of my "comfort zone". (Which I can see is going to happen a lot this month with all these Feanorian requests....)

Cheers, Liz

Hi admins,

Did you notice Jenni's birthday drabble request over here?

Another day, another September birthday, another Jenni, another Fëanor fan...

- Barbara

P.S. I'll leave the reply to you, just wanted to give you all a heads-up....

Edit: Sorry, the link isn't working... *scratches head* Well, the post is in the "other" HASA Birthday Cards discussion....

Edit 2: The link works now (thanks, Liz!)...

Hey, Barbara,

Thanks for the heads-up, but it's the same Jenni! Her author name is digdigil, which is what I know her by on LJ, so I put both names down on the request thread... Serves me right for assuming! I'll change the first post to read just Jenni.

Dawn posted her request for her here a few days ago, and I guess she didn't know that.

Thanks,
Allie

Ah, good! Thanks, Allie!

- Barbara

And if anyone wants to write me a drabble where Glorfindel kicks the crap out of Arwen for stealing his horse, more power to you.

Arandil, I hope you like this!

Jay

Glorfindel's Revenge

Handing Frodo to her father – the unfortunate hobbit looked half dead, successfully distracting Elrond – Arwen dismounted, and handed Asfaloth to the grooms. 

Stepping back, she felt an unyielding body behind her.  "Just where do you think you are going?"  a low voice growled.

Heart sinking, Arwen turned to face her accuser.  "Glorfindel!  Thank you for letting me borrow Asfaloth.  He is much faster than my own horse!"

His expression darkened.  "You did not 'borrow' him.  You stole him – again.   I warned you before – your brothers and I will tell Aragorn  every embarrassing tale of your childhood!"

She paled.  "Glorfindel, no!"

Jay, you are officially my hero for the month of September. Revenge, indeed! And thanks (and happy birthday) to Arandil for suggesting the idea. It needed to be written!

We'd only need three more! C'mon! It's time for another Parody Palooza!!!!

*Vistula tentatively raises hand*

Ummmm....I seem to have managed to write a second Feanor filk (and it IS all Feanor's fault!)...does that count for two?

LOL!

Vistula
The possessed!

Drabble for Tanaqui's birthday

Tanaqui: I would like to request birthday drabbles about any moment in Gondorian history.

Well, Liz... guess I'm off by a few years... and maybe someday you'll be able to figure out just exactly how many years.... but here is Isildur the (pre-)King of Gondor (complete with footnotes ):
Edit: There are three sequels to this drabble, Luminosity, Cold Comfort, and Moon Shadow.

Moon Devotion

'Tis folly, under Isil's full glare, to hazard a foray to defy Nimloth's fiery doom! But urgency prevails, and the moon is shrouded...

I flee into the market-square, concealing the bloodied fruit under my cloak -- only to find throngs of festival-mantled revelers milling about, gathered to witness the moon's creeping blush. They gasp, delighted, as Isil abruptly parts clouds to flaunt the glory of his copper patina.

Sauron's arrogant guards dog my heels... But, unbidden, the citizens of Armenelos casually arrange themselves athwart my pursuers' path. I melt away unrecognized....

Should I survive, I will build monuments to Isil's abetting.

"And Sauron urged the King to cut down the White Tree, Nimloth the Fair, that grew in his courts ...

... when Amandil heard rumour of the evil purpose of Sauron he was grieved to the heart, knowing that in the end Sauron would surely have his will. Then he spoke to Elendil and the sons of Elendil, recalling the tale of the Trees of Valinor; and Isildur said no word, but went out by night and did a deed for which he was afterwards renowned. For he passed alone in disguise to Armenelos and to the courts of the King ... and he came to the place of the Tree, which was forbidden to all by the orders of Sauron, and the Tree was watched day and night by guards in his service. At that time Nimloth was dark and bore no bloom, for it was late in the autumn, and its winter was nigh; and Isildur passed through the guards and took from the Tree a fruit that hung upon it, and turned to go. But the guard was aroused, and he was assailed, and fought his way out, receiving many wounds; and he escaped, and because he was disguised it was not discovered who had laid hands on the Tree."

The Silmarillion, Akallabêth

"An eclipse of the Moon (or lunar eclipse) can only occur at Full Moon, and only if the Moon passes through some portion of the Earth's shadow."

www.mreclipse.com/Special/LEprimer.html

Re: Drabble for Tanaqui's birthday

*squeeee*

This is so beautiful, Barbara. The blood-drenched eclipsed moon is such a powerful metaphor, and I love the hint that the citizens of Armenolos are passively resisting Sauron through their subtle obstruction.

Well, Liz... guess I'm off by a few years...

As it's one of my favourite moments from the Silm, I guess I can forgive you for straying into Gondorian pre-history.

and maybe someday you'll be able to figure out just exactly how many years....

If only.... unless there is a secret cache of Tolkien papers somewhere with a full Second Age Tale of Years...

(complete with footnotes ):

Ah, my little geeky heart soars! Where would we be without the footnotes?

Thank you again, Barbara, for such a wonderful present.

Cheers, Liz
*grinning happily*

Re: Drabble for Tanaqui's birthday

Hi Liz!

This is so beautiful, Barbara. The blood-drenched eclipsed moon is such a powerful metaphor, and I love the hint that the citizens of Armenolos are passively resisting Sauron through their subtle obstruction.

Ah, I'm so glad you like it, Liz! I knew that you would appreciate the imagery all too well, and I was hoping you'd like the passive resistance....

Happy (early) birthday!

- Barbara

Re: September 2005 Babies - Four Birthday Birds with one Drabble

Well, as touchy as the muse has been lately, and considering my penchant for Feanor is spotty at best, I'm hoping the Feanor Birthday fangurls are willing to share a drabble.

It's a sexy one, so I'm hoping that'll make it up to all of you!!

Happy Birthday to Jenni, Dawn, Arandil and a VERY late wish for Allie (see...I didn't forget)!! And just remember, the "I" in this drabble can be subjective.

I hope you all enjoy!!

Cheers,
Vistula

~~~~

No Finer Craft Than This

Alive with passion’s fire he comes in to me. Burnished by the flames that obsess him, he possesses me and I him. Flesh, burning with desire, blazes trails of ecstasy from breasts to belly and loins. Enveloped by his spirit, his body fills mine completely.

Enraptured I rise and fall stroked between hammer and anvil, to be recreated in his embrace. Swelling, surging, ebbing in the press of his hard flesh, he lifts me up. With all the skills of his heart and hands, he brings me crying to completion.

Together we create a jewel that, alone, he cannot match.

For Jenni, 2 September

Jenni said I like romantic, angsty, and sexy stories. I like Fëanor, Maedhros, Maglor, Melian, Estë, Irmo, Galadriel, Fingolfin, Finrod Felagund, and Voronwë and would love any drabbles that anyone can think up about them. Oh, and naughty is more than okay, het or slash ;)

I hope this is sexy. It's definitely naughty and perhaps has a hint of slash as well as het. It involves both Maedhros and Maglor. And I'm sure you KNOW who "she" is....

Sweet-tongued sons of Fëanor

Her eyes gaze up into Maglor’s. Poised above her, his fingertips caress her until she stiffens. He reads the message in her eyes as Maedhros’s tongue slowly swirls against her.

“Nay, my brother,” Maglor protests. “This doth not please the lady.”

Maedhros lifts his copper head and directs an enquiring look at her. She blushes.

“Give me your hand,” Maglor orders. He leans forward and touches his tongue to the tip of Maedhros’s finger. She sees understanding awaken in Maedhros’s eyes.

Maedhros bends back to his task. This time, there is no complaint for Maglor to read on her face.

Maedhros and Maglor (and I) wish you a very happy birthday , Jenni!

Cheers, Liz

Happy Birday, Arandil!

September 17 - Arandil:
(4) An evil drabble - from an orc's perspective, or the MoS, or Sauron , or the ickle dark lord himself, Morgoth - anyone from the "other" side... Extra points if Morgoth abuses Sauron somehow. Extra EXTRA points if it somehow involves the shaving of Galadriel's head.

Hi Arandil!

I wrote this drabble a couple days ago for the Silmarils are an Elf's Best Friend challenge, but now I realize it would make a good "evil" gift for your birthday...

Here 'tis: Claws! Hope you enjoy it!

And Happy Birthday!

- Barbara, who is getting altogether too comfortable channeling the dark side....

For Tanaqui!

A double-drabble, based on an idea that keeps quietly threatening to grow into a full-fledged story. Eventually. As always, xxxfingers for link. Mature, just in case, for violence.

Happy birthday!

Vermin

Rat-like, we scurry beneath the floorboards.
Scant moments later, the echoing of heavy booted feet above our heads. As one, we hold our breath.
“You, tavern-keeper! Where are they?” The ruthless voice of a man who was once my friend.
“Where are who?” The tavern-keeper (I do not even know his name) is calm, unruffled, though there are sounds of crockery being broken, tables being overturned.
“You are sheltering those who would see Castamir our King deposed. Tell us where they are, and perhaps he will show mercy.”
The tavern-keeper laughs, but makes no reply, and I wince at the unmistakable sound of hard flesh against flesh.
Still no reply.
And again. And again. Endlessly.
Part of me wants to burst out of hiding, so that it will stop, but another part of me is terrified that the tavern-keeper will betray us. I feel my brother trembling beside me.
“He’s not going talk. Burn it. That should bring the vermin out into the open.”
A hand touches my shoulder, and I nearly scream.
Turning, I see a young, earnest face lit by candle. “This way,” he hisses.
Smoke filters through the floor overhead.
We follow, as the Gilded Lion burns.

note The building is made of stone, so it didn't burn to the ground, obviously. Else it wouldn't still be around in 3017 .
Just really messed up the inside.

Birthday Drabble for Dawn Felagund

Another Prometheus

The teacher gazed at the intent faces of the young men and women before him.

"The loremasters claim there is only one possible interpretation of the myth of Fëanor. I disagree. Both his glory and his disgrace come from the will to master fate and find freedom from the tyranny of the elements. He strove for knowledge and skill for all. No longer would power be only the province of the gods. For this ungodly pride he lost his life.

"Those who seek to better the lot of our fellow men honor him as the greatest of friends. Praise him!"

--Gandalfs apprentice

PS: I added it to your birthday drabble story. Enjoy! 

Re: For Tanaqui!

*squee*

Oh EdorasLass, what a lovely surprise to sign on and find this waiting for me.

It's a terrrific drabble. I love the way you help us visualise the scene above so vividly, even though the POV character can't see it. You convey so well the mixed emotions and confusion of a civil war that pits friend against friend.

However, I think my favourite line is Part of me wants to burst out of hiding, so that it will stop, but another part of me is terrified that the tavern-keeper will betray us. That sums up perfectly the difficult decisions that must be made by noble men in wartime, and the constant fears of all conspirators.

I also found the Pub Guide well done and very funny - especially the report from 1445.

Thank you again for writing such a great drabble for my birthday. If you'd like to post it in my story in the workshop, I'd be thrilled.

Cheers, Liz

(PS: of course I wouldn't be me if I didn't have one quibble. Did you perhaps mean "deposed" rather than "disposed"?)

Re: Birthday Drabble for Dawn Felagund

Hi Gandalfs Apprentice

Your drabble wasn't for me, but I wanted to let you know how much I liked it. It's a great re-interpretation of a history that was, of course, told by members of the younger branches of Finwe's house rather than by the Feanorians, and slanted to their agenda. And I always felt the Valar had a lot to answer for....

Cheers, Liz
(enjoying other people's birthday presents as well!)

Thanks, Liz!
I love the way you help us visualise the scene above so vividly, even though the POV character can't see it.

Whew --I'm so glad that worked! It's a challenge to convey what's going on and reactions to that if no-one can see what's going on.

That sums up perfectly the difficult decisions that must be made by noble men in wartime, and the constant fears of all conspirators.
Thank you! For some reason I'm particularly drawn to the idea that there were conspirators against Castamir, probably from the moment he was put on the throne.

Yep, I'll put it in the workshop, and yep, I meant "deposed" -- both of those things result from it being four in the a.m. when I was writing, because the Nuzgul wouldn't hush up and let me sleep! I swear, those pushy creatures......

Glad you liked it!

Hi Liz
So glad you liked my drabble for Dawn. When I first learned Feanor's whole story, I definitely sympathized with him and not the holier-than-thou other side(s). And it struck me that he was really rather like Prometheus, who has always been a hero of mine. So I was glad to have this opportunity to express that. It's part of my humanist revolt against Tolkien theology. Apologies to the canon fanatics.
Gandalfs apprentice (Amy)

An interesting prospective. Prometheus was a hero of mine, too. But I don't recall Feanor wanting to share the Silmarils with Elf-kind, or man-kind; or anyone other than himself and possibly his father and sons. Wasn't it the Valar who wanted to use the Silmarils for the benefit of all, after the light of the Two Trees was destroyed by Melkor and Ungoliant?

I do think that the Valar did make many mistakes, and were far from perfect. They didn't like to clean up their messes. They sat complacently in Valinor while Morgoth and Sauron tormented Men and Elves in Middle-earth. Earendil and Elwing had to give up their mortal lives and children to get the Valar's attention and help for Middle-earth. But I don't disagree with the Valar's wish to use the Silmarils to replace the light. If anything, it strikes me as an artistic dispute - the right of the artist to his own work versus the need of the common good, the need of the many.

RAKSHA

Hi, Raksha
Of course, the parallel between between Prometheus and Feanor is far from exact. Prometheus is the nobler and much more conscious of his acts. But it seems to me that there is more than a small element of Feanor being considered "guilty" for wanting to create, and that this was seen as usurping a power from the gods. Besides, as Liz pointed out, the history was written by the other side, so maybe they didn't tell the whole truth about Feanor's motives, which perhaps they did not understand. Anyway, I offer the drabble in the spirit of interesting reinterpretations of Tolkien mythology. That Tolkien has succeeded in inventing a body of legends that is subject to different understandings, as the real mythologies are, is IMO one of his greatest achievements as an artist. That's why I can enjoy his stuff while violently disagreeing with his world view.

On the Valar and the light: wasn't Middle Earth dark until the sun and the moon came? A case can be made that the death of the trees was a step forward for M.E. therefore. Not too much thought for the second born in Valimar, I guess. I don't much like the Valar as a whole. Sorry.

G.A.

PS to Dawn: I hope you are at least enjoying the discussion, which began to honor your birthday!

Re: Jenni's B-Day Request!

I found this message in the other birthday forum. Maybe Jenni's other requests will inspire more writers. I'm still waiting for my muse to speak.

This is Jenni. I'm not sure if I'm in the right place, but my birthday is tomorrow and I just wanted to place my request for a birthday drabble. I love the Silmarillion best, especially the Feanorians, but I also love LOTR and Legolas is my favourite character. The Hobbit is also wonderful, and my favourite character in that is Bilbo.

Re: Jenni's B-Day Request!

Hi GA

I found this message in the other birthday forum.

Thanks for noticing this!

According to this post further up the thread by Meril, this is the same Jenni whose request was previously posted over here by Dawn Felagund, and it's already been included in the top post of the thread.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

Cheers, Liz
(who is pondering how Aragorn might surprise Gandalf for you...)

Hi EdorasLass

Whew --I'm so glad that worked!

Oh yes, most definitely.

For some reason I'm particularly drawn to the idea that there were conspirators against Castamir, probably from the moment he was put on the throne.

I'm sure there were! IIRC, Castamir upset a lot of people almost immediately by wanting to move the capital to Pelargir, even before he got around to being cruel.... I would love to see you write a longer story about the kinslaying and the conspitaors.

Glad you liked it!

Very much! Thanks again!

Cheers, Liz

I'm sure there were! IIRC, Castamir upset a lot of people almost immediately by wanting to move the capital to Pelargir, even before he got around to being cruel.... I would love to see you write a longer story about the kinslaying and the conspitaors.

It'll be a while, because I'll have to get learn'd about that whole time period. Plus I keep getting sidetracked from my current WiP by other small-ish Nuzgul. But I think it will get done eventually. Right now, it seems to be content to simmer.

Thanks!

Vistula,

Oh, my....

::thunk::

Wow. Thank you. I was trying to save it for my birthday but caved. And I am glad I did. Now I can read it every day leading up to my birthday

You know, I think you'd make a good Feanatic ;)

Dawn Felagund, just one of the legion of Feanatics

Gandalf's apprentice,

I thank you so much! How wonderful! A birthday drabble that makes me feel not evil about my love for Feanor

Truly incredible. Thank you again

Dawn Felagund

Hi Amy, again

I just read further down and discovered that--like so many times before--Feanor has sparked discussion.

When I first learned Feanor's whole story, I definitely sympathized with him and not the holier-than-thou other side(s). And it struck me that he was really rather like Prometheus, who has always been a hero of mine. So I was glad to have this opportunity to express that. It's part of my humanist revolt against Tolkien theology. Apologies to the canon fanatics.

I can't make much of a claim as a canatic, but I know plenty of canatics who would agree with you.

Key, for me, as you have noted in later posts, is that The Silmarillion is supposed to be a historical work, written by witnesses to the times, not simply a story written by an omniscient, omnipresent narrator. Parts of The Sil are said to be written by Rumil (the original one, not the guy from Lothlorien), who was a Noldo and remained in Valinor during the revolt as a subject of Finarfin, which implies, to me, great loyalty to the Valar and certainly loyalty to one of Feanor's half-brothers, who may not have regarded Feanor kindly at that point.

Most of the story is written by Pengolodh, who was born in Middle-earth and was a subject of Turgon. There is a footnote in HoMe somewhere (and I am at work, without my books, to give an exact citation, but I will find it if anyone is curious) that said that--after his wife's death on the Ice--Turgon hated the Feanorians. So I doubt he'd smile upon a scholar of his court writing good things about them.

That also leaves a big gap between the Feanorians fleeing Valinor and the arrival of Fingolfin and Finrod's people, at least 25 years later, where there was no scholar present to record the history, and so we must question the sources who tell of the burning of the ships, Feanor's death, and Maedhros' capture (and his brothers' subsequent inaction on his behalf). Not to say that these things didn't happen, but are we accurate in our understanding of exactly how/why they happened? Or of character motivations at the time?

Just a thought One of the things that fascinates me the most about The Sil is the ability to interpret it as history, which allows for many different interpretations of the same facts.

That 100 words should inspire so much chatter!

Dawn Felagund, who is also uneasy about the Valar ;)

Dawn:

You are a much more accomplished Sil scholar than I am, so I find your observations all the more interesting. I'm not much of an Elf chick (considering Elves by themselves), but rather interested in the Edain and their intersection with the magical races of M.E. Lately my writing projects have been long without an update, not only for lack of time, but because I'm rethinking some noncanon reinterpretations. This discussion is food for thought!

Amy (G.A.) 

September 21 - Winterhawk  As a child of Mabon, (the Autumnal Equinox) I would dearly love a tale of the Elves of Greenwood at this time of year and if you can work in *Good* Thranduil and Legolas it would be wonderful.  Mithrandir is also one of my favourite characters from LoTR.  I am fairly easy to please--anything with elves from any Age would be greatly appreciated.  A little humour, a little lust...but no slash.

New thread!

This is post #51!

Please continue drabbling in the next thread.

Allie

Re: For Jenni, 2 September

Thank you very much, Liz, for the sexy, wonderful drabble!  I only found my way into this part of the site today!  (Sept. 16th!!!)  Thank you!

Cheers,

Jenni/Digdigil

Vistula - this is marvelous.  I hope you included it in the Exciting Drabble Challenge. 

I did a fire-oriented erotic drabble recently (as yet not posted), but this one's smokin'!!!  And where there's smoke, there's the Spirit of Fire, right?!

RAKSHA, fanning self furiously. 

"No Finer Craft Than This Alive with passion's fire he comes in to me. Burnished by the flames that obsess him, he possesses me and I him. Flesh, burning with desire, blazes trails of ecstasy from breasts to belly and loins. Enveloped by his spirit, his body fills mine completely. Enraptured I rise and fall stroked between hammer and anvil, to be recreated in his embrace. Swelling, surging, ebbing in the press of his hard flesh, he lifts me up. With all the skills of his heart and hands, he brings me crying to completion. Together we create a jewel that, alone, he cannot match."

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum