Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: August 2005 Birthdays - 1

August 2005 Birthdays - 1

Greetings!

August is nearly upon us, and so it's nearly time to get out our quills and parchment and write in celebration of August's birthday boys and girls. Click here to go to the challenge.

If your birthday is in August, we want to cheer it up with a birthday drabble or two (don't be shy!) Just post below when your birthday is and any requests you have so that other members may write you drabbles. If you're not sure what sort of drabble you'd like, you can always just post a favourite character or two and look forward to a surprise.

After posting here, don't forget to create a new story and add it to the HASA Birthday Cards workshop so that others can add their drabbles to it. You'll also want to enter it in the August Birthday Challenge

For you wonderful birthday drabble writers, don't forget to add your drabble to the recipient's story in the HASA Birthday Cards workshop.

If you need more detailed instructions, try Meril's Instructions for Birthday Drabbling. It explains every step of the process.

August Birthday (& Other Celebratory) Requests

Jay of Lasgalen - It's not my birthday (that's in January) but can I make a different request? We have just celebrated our Silver wedding anniversary (25 years!) - would someone write a drabble featuring any two wedded elves? Elrond/Celebrian, Thranduil/Legolas's mother, any one you like, canon or OC. Romance or smut would be fine - slash between bonded elves is also OK.

August 13th - Elvenesse - My birthday is on the 13th, so only six days away. I'm quite fond of Celeborn at the moment, so anything about him during any stage of his life would be welcome! Apart from that I'm not fussy: I like elves very much, as well as the Dunedain, Rohirrim and Gondorians. I don't mind smut in any form, and depressing stuff is good too. I'm tempted to list every single character I like, but instead I'll shut up now.

August 17th - Mallondwen - Hi, my birthday is August 17th, and I'll be 19 years old. Though my request is a bit late, I would love to have a drabble for my birthday - even if it's late. I'm partial to Legolas (young Legolas is my favorite) but Aragorn or other members of the Fellowship are welcome also. If possible include horses or other animals or birds - the more exotic the better! (No slash please.)

August 19th - Eruwestial - My birthday is August 19th and I'm a big Legolas fan. However, it seems his partner gets ignored rather often, so I'd like to ask for Gimli or Gimli and Legolas Drabbles if I may. NO het content please, but slash is very welcome.

August 19th - Kiana (via Lady Aranel) - My daughter Kiana (who is quite elf-like herself) will be 11 years old on August 19th. She asked me if anyone might write her a 'story' (drabble) about Legolas when he was 11 years old. And she wouldn't mind if she was included in the 'story'. Please keep interactions age appropriate. She is a petite blonde, blue eyed with a slight point to her ears and identifies which makes her indentify with Legolas a lot. :-)...I will compile the drabbles on one print out and give them to her in her birthday card. I will be sure to let everyone that contributes know how they were recieved!

Elemmíre
(your new birthday cards assistant)

Re: August 2005 Babies

My birthday is August 19th and I'm a big Legolas fan. However, it seems his partner gets ignored rather often, so I'd like to ask for Gimli or Gimli and Legolas Drabbles if I may. NO het content please, but slash is very welcome.

Thanks SO much, I really enjoyed the ones I was gifted with last year!

Eruwestial

The Naughty Little Elf

It's not my birthday (that's in January) but can I make a different request? We have just celebrated our Silver wedding anniversary (25 years!) - would someone write a drabble featuring any two wedded elves? Elrond/Celebrian, Thranduil/Legolas's mother, any one you like, canon or OC. Romance or smut would be fine - slash between bonded elves is also OK.

Thanks!

Jay

For Jay of Lasgalen - Silver wedding anniversay

Jay of Lasgalen wrote: We have just celebrated our Silver wedding anniversary (25 years!) - would someone write a drabble featuring any two wedded elves?

Hi Jay – many congratulations on your Silver wedding anniversary! I know a long marriage has its downs as well as it ups, and that it takes a lot of hard work as well as love. So I give you a snapshot of what must have been one of the trickiest and yet most enduring elven marriages in Middle-earth.

Long years numberless as the wings of trees

Sometimes her actions grieved me, as no doubt mine grieved her. The love of craft, of works of skill, of power over Arda, that marred her father’s kin, ran strong in her.

I sorrowed at her friendship with dwarves, who ever brought ill-fortune to my people. I mourned when she turned to the Mirror – treacherous guide! – rather than let futures unfold unheralded. I feared when she took the ring: power to make our land fair, yet I would let things grow as they pleased.

Many times we lived apart.

Yet always reunited. Always my radiant-garlanded maiden. Always I loved her.

Congratulations again, and here's wishing you another 25 happy years together!

Cheers, Liz

Re: For Jay of Lasgalen - Silver wedding anniversay

Thank you, Liz! 

This is exactly as I see Celeborn and Galadriel  - not always in agreement (the way Gimli was greeted after they learned of Gandalf's fall) but they still love one another.  There are ups and downs, but companionship overcomes the difficulties.  I often wondered how they endured the separation after the war of the ring before Celeborn sailed.

Thank you for your congratulations, and the drabble!

Jay

Hi Jay,

We have just celebrated our Silver wedding anniversary (25 years!) - would someone write a drabble featurning any two wedded elves?

Happy 25th anniversary. That's quite an achievement.

Here's two elves. They're not married yet, but we all know they will be soon enough.

True Silver

I remember our first meeting, Artanis. You rivaled even Melian's beauty! It seemed the One had captured Elbereth's fires in your radiant garland. But then I saw the jewel-studded mithril clasp, and I scowled. Cold metal should not constrain hair that longs to dance in the evening breeze.

Months later, you threw the band aside and asked for a lock of my hair with which to bind your braid. You would leave delved and forged rocks to the Naugrim, and adorn yourself with beauty worth having. That made me smile. Perhaps you are not so like your kin after all.

Note: According to the index of the Silmarillion, the name Galadriel means "maiden crowned with a radiant garland".

Re: August 2005 Babies - Early for Eruwestial

Happy early birthday, My Precious!!!

You wanted the Elf's other half, but what is one without the other!

Cheers,

Vistula

~~~~~
My Autumn

“Elf!”

He grunts a harsh bark, to shake me from my reverie but still I dream. They are gentle visions filled with forest pathways touched by autumn’s hand. Red. Gold. Tawny brown. The color of leaves. The color of the softness that wreaths his face.

Like the trees of my mind’s eye, he also bears the caress of time. Age crinkles at the corners of his laughing eyes, whispers a dusting of snow upon his temples, drags a creaking heaviness from his steps.

Untouched by time, I share his fading.

Yes, he’s my autumn, too soon to fall into winter.

Thank you, Marta!

I like Celeborn's thoughts on Galadriel here - especially this image: ' hair that longs to dance in the evening breeze.' 

I like the distinction between jewels, and 'beauty worth having'.  Very nice!

Jay

Re: Jay of Lasgalen and anniversary

It's not my birthday (that's in January) but can I make a different request? We have just celebrated our Silver wedding anniversary (25 years!) - would someone write a drabble featuring any two wedded elves? Elrond/Celebrian, Thranduil/Legolas's mother, any one you like, canon or OC. Romance or smut would be fine - slash between bonded elves is also OK.

Thanks!

Jay

BONDED

I do not remember the first day I saw you.
I do not remember not knowing you.
I do not know the first day I touched you but I touched still and you liked it still.
I remember the first day I kissed you and I do not need to remember what it is like to want you. I want you now.
Celebrian you left what seems a moment ago and an eternity but I care not. Twenty-five years or twenty-five centuries or twenty-five thousands, I will travel oceans of time to meet you in Valinor and be whole again.

Ranger1

Greetings all!

My birthday is on the 13th, so only six days away. I'm quite fond of Celeborn at the moment, so anything about him during any stage of his life would be welcome! Apart from that I'm not fussy: I like elves very much, as well as the Dunedain, Rohirrim and Gondorians. I don't mind smut in any form, and depressing stuff is good too. I'm tempted to list every single character I like, but instead I'll shut up now.

Re: Jay of Lasgalen and anniversary

Ranger, that is so beautiful - thank you!

Elrond's loss and longing for his wife is vividly described here.  I worked out that they were together for nearly twenty-five centuries - that's a lot of memories.

Thank you for this lovely anniversary drabble.

Jay

For Eruwestial, August 19th

Eruwestial said My birthday is August 19th and I'm a big Legolas fan. However, it seems his partner gets ignored rather often, so I'd like to ask for Gimli or Gimli and Legolas Drabbles if I may. NO het content please, but slash is very welcome.

Here are several intertwined moments from Gimli's story (leaving Rivendell, entering the Paths of the Dead, and telling the story of the journey to Merry and Pippin in Minas Tirith). Many thanks to Marta for her initial suggestion for a topic for this drabble.

A thing unheard of

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.

How lightly I spoke, and scorned Master Elrond’s reply. We of Durin’s line have been steadfast through the long Ages: to our kin, repaying the insults of the Orcs; to our fathers, ousting the Worm to reclaim our home; to all Free Folk of Middle-earth, wielding our axes in many a battle.

Now the road before me darkens. The others have passed the Door. My heart quakes.

We swore no oaths, yet I find there is a bond stronger than the most solemn vow.

Friendship.

I plunge across the threshold.

Happy Birthday, Eruwestial!

Cheers, Liz

For Elvenesse

I'm afraid Celeborn wouldn't talk to me, so here is a double drabble about the Rohirrim.

Set in Edoras, 3019.

For Rohan

Lord Éomer summoned us at midnight.  Scouts had warned of an orc host descending the East Wall; orcs pledged to Saruman and Mordor.  That which we most feared had come to pass.

He spoke passionately:  "I do not command you to ride with me – I ask that you do so.  We will ride without King Théoden's leave – but we ride for Rohan.  Will you join me?"

Would I join him?  I had eyes to see, and ears to hear.  I had seen the shadow that had fallen upon King Théoden – and I had heard the evil whispers of Gríma.  I had seen the shadow that had slowly crept across the land of Rohan.  Around me, my companions brandished their swords, cheering and pledging allegiance – allegiance to Éomer, not Théoden.

Another rider, Gárulf, glared at me.  He was both a companion and a friend. "Well?  Do you ride or not?"  he demanded.  I nodded, but this decision was not mine alone.  I looked to my other companion, my horse. 

"Well, Arod?  What say you?  Do we ride for glory?"  With a snort, he agreed.  So with high hearts and high hope, the éored of Éomer rode into the night. 

For Rohan.

Happy birthday, Kate!

Jay

Kiana ~ Age 11 ~August 19

My daughter Kiana (who is quite elf-like herself) will be 11 years
old on August 19th. She asked me if anyone might write her a 'story' (drabble) about Legolas when he was 11 years old. And she wouldn't mind if she was included in the 'story'. Please keep interactions age appropriate. She is a petite blonde, blue eyed with a slight point to her ears and identifies which makes her indentify with Legolas a lot. :-)

(He had been replaced for a brief time by the yellow power ranger,
but it seems Legolas made his way back into her afections somehow. Perhaps it has > something to do with beginning horseback riding lessons. Whatever did it, I'm certainly grateful! LOL)

I will compile the drabbles on one print out and give them to her in
her birthday card. I will be sure to let everyone that contributes know
how they were recieved!

Many Thanks,

~ Lady Aranel~

For Kiana's 11th birthday, August 19

Hey Trish - I'm really pleased to hear Legolas is back in favour with Kiana (I hope that means your muse is talking to you too. )

Here's my offering for Kiana: I hope she has a great birthday.

Curiosity

His fingertips, running over the rough skin, find patterns like the ripples on a stream, or sunlight playing through leaves on rabbit-cropped grass. He leans nearer and sniffs the faint scent that reminds him of half-ripened plums. His eyes drink in the colours of bulrush head, flittermouse fur, chestnut shell.

His nurse’s voice brings him back to the wider world. Reluctantly, Legolas steps away from the tree.

At his feet, he notices a pale canopy: its edges are curling up, as dusk falls, to reveal dark ridges.

He stoops, but his nurse calls again, closer.

Tomorrow, early, he promises himself.

Cheers, Liz

Hi Elvenesse,

I'm quite fond of Celeborn at the moment, so anything about him during any stage of his life would be welcome!

Hope this suits. :-)

Choices
She certainly had her pick. Thranduil always doted on her, and he would have made a good husband. And if she did not desire the mantle of rule, many others looked on her with favour when she danced beneath the golden eaves.

But she chose a ring-bearer.

Her mother's blood runs thick in her veins, it seems. So like the Noldor to quest after power and forged things! Will Vilya's sapphire aura blind her to the gleam of dew on golden bark at dawn?

Yet she has made her choice. I will make mine: I shall ever be her father.

(Note: I drew a lot of inspiration for this from Bejai's "Sapphire Aurae". It should stand on its own, though.)

Re: Kiana ~ Age 11 ~August 19

I hope Kiana enjoys this! I'm sure she can relate to having her mind drift off in class...

ANTICIPATION

The steady drone of his tutor's voice washed over Legolas. He made a futile attempt to pay attention, as he knew he would incur the wrath of his father if he fell behind in his studies. Hs mind, however, was elsewhere- namely, archery lessons right after this. One day, he would be a magnificent warrior, and go out and slay spiders, just like his brothers. They would all cheer for him- Legolas the Brave, they'd say, savior of Mirkwood!

The tutor cleared his throat, and Legolas snapped out of his daydreams, trying to pay attention. Just a few more minutes…

For Elvenesse, 13 August

Edit: I changed the rating to "mature content", even though I wouldn't normally consider this drabble required the warning, because it's currently surrounded by lots of drabbles aimed at at a younger audience, so it's definitely "more mature" and could catch people by surprise.

Elvenesse said I'm quite fond of Celeborn at the moment, so anything about him during any stage of his life would be welcome! Apart from that I'm not fussy: I like elves very much, as well as the Dunedain, Rohirrim and Gondorians. I don't mind smut in any form, and depressing stuff is good too. I'm tempted to list every single character I like, but instead I'll shut up now.

Sorry this is a day late: Celeborn was being very reticent with me until he surprised me earlier today by suddenly starting to talk dirty! So here you have Celeborn, smut, Galadriel's gift to Gimli, and a disgruntled Feanor, all in one small package.... Hope it suits.

Name my desire

Silken strands whisper across my skin, following the trail of her lips. I run my fingers through her radiant tresses. Will I notice the loss of three severed hairs? Should I care?

She always shared her kin’s fondness for craftsmanship of any race, but strange she should honour the dwarf so. What would the shade of her proud uncle, thrice refused, make of her gift?

As lips and curls continue to tease me, I cease to ponder requests granted or denied. My love’s locks have only ever blessed me this way. Fitting reward for the pleasure my skill brings her.

Happy (belated) birthday!

Cheers, Liz

Happy birthday, Kiana!

Hey, Trish!

Kiana's request prompted my silly!drabble!muse out from his cave, and I wrote a sequel to a previous drabble. For your convinience and enjoyment, I include both here. The second drabble is Kiana's "official" birthday present.

Biased Bedtime Stories

"And the great King Elrond said, ‘You have done me great injury, spider-spawn, and now I must put you in your place.’"

"Where were we when this happened? You would never—"

"Hush up, Arwen! It’s my turn! So the great King sent his praised Captains, Elrohir the Orc-Slayer and Elladan the Goblin-Crusher, forth from his realm to give the ugly Prince of Mirkwood his doom. On reaching Moria, Captain Elrohir said, ‘How fitting: a spider fed to the dwarves.’ And—"

"Elrohir! Your sister is hearing this!"

"Sorry, Nana. How about Orcs?"

Celebrían groaned. Will they ever respect Mirkwood?

Biased Bedtime Stories, Part the Second

And the hardy warrior-king Thranduil decreed that his bravest scout, Legolas of the Great Aim, would wreak Greenwood’s vengeance on their enemies: Elrohir and Elladan, whose evil orc armies spread far. He—

“Where am I, Legolas?”

“I was just getting there. Legolas and his fearless sister, Ithiliel of the Keen Eyes, made the long journey to Imladris together, bringing a legion of spiders, for the spiders had great hatred of the Elven Lords of Orcs—

“Legolas!”

“Don’t worry, Nana: these are our pet spiders. They won’t eat us, only the twins.”

His mother groaned. Will they ever respect Imladris?

Author’s Note: According to this website, Kiana means “moon goddess”. Ithiliel means “moon daughter” in Sindarin.

Happy birthday, sweetie!

Allie

Re: Happy birthday, Kiana!

Author's Note:  Kiana means "moon goddess". Ithiliel means "moon daughter" in Sindarin.

Ah, yes - it's true. And funny enough, in my fictional universe, Legolas' mother is Ithilwen = Moon Maid (so if there was a daughter, Ithiliel would be a perfect name).

thank you for such a delightful drabble. Kiana is going to be so surprised!

~Lady Aranel~

Thanks for all the wonderful drabbles!

~Lady A~

Hi, my birthday is August 17th, and I'll be 19 years old. Though my request is a bit late, I would love to have a drabble for my birthday - even if it's late. I'm partial to Legolas (young Legolas is my favorite) but Aragorn or other members of the Fellowship are welcome also. If possible include horses or other animals or birds - the more exotic the better!  (No slash please.) 

Thanks! 

~ Mallondwen 

Meril, I love your "Biased Birthday Stories!" Very cute and funny.

RAKSHA THE DEMON, who's fresh out of inspiration for kid-Legolas, but hopes that Kiana will have a wonderful birthday.

Thanks, Raksha! I enjoyed writing them.

Allie

Re: Kiana ~ Age 11 ~August 19

Whew! Just under the wire!

Happy Birthday, Kiana! I hope your day is a wonderful one filled with many happy surprises.

Hope Kiana (and mom) don't mind naughty Elflings.

Cheers!
Vistula

~~~~

Joined in Mischief

“Shhhhhh! Wait here Kiana. Remember the signal?”

The petite girl nodded, pulling her pipes from a pocket. She scrunched down just outside the pantry door.

“You sure?”

“Yes Leg’las…” she grumbled, “go! Before they find us.”

Girls! he thought, slipping inside the dark niche.

Boys!

The Elfling followed his nose, seeking the object of their mission – berry tarts, fresh made and set aside for dinner. As he tucked two into his pocket, the pipes trilled a warning.

He slipped out quickly, and grabbed his co-conspirator’s arm. As they ran, he carefully divided the spoils. Joined in mischief the two ate.

Re: August 2005 Babies - For Eruwestial

Happy Birthday Eruwestial, my Precious.

You wanted Gimli and Legolas, and how could I refuse when you beg so nicely.

As a fair warning to others, this is slash content (though only a strong PG-13 IMO), so if it's not your cuppa tea...please scroll no farther.

Cheers!

Vistula

~~~~

Reborn in Love

Bowstring muscles slide under time callused fingers. Glistening, his sweat eases the passage as they draw pleasured humming from parted lips. Enthralled by his lover’s touch, the Elf gasps…arches…weeps, his senses held captive by a depth of hoarded secrets that belong now to him alone.

He is consumed and consumes in turn, is captive to this Dwarven craft. But he cannot care. Lying together as one, he is the flame that merges with coarse metal in the forge to bring forth majesty.

Passion’s peak is steel in his belly, sharp…painful…mortal suffering.

In love, he is reborn.

Oh, Vistula, I do like this. "..captive to this Dwarven craft" is great, and so is the image of the flame and the metal.

Tiny question - should it be "coarse" metal rather than "course"? Or is the latter a phrase in metalworking I didn't know? (perfectly possible)?

Lucky Eruwestial :-)

Thank you Marta! It definitely stands on its own. I don't think I've read Celebrian choosing Elrond after he received Vilya. It's interesting to think she could have married Thranduil! Celeborn's voice comes through so strongly.

Re: For Elvenesse, 13 August

I'd never considered Celeborn being bothered by Galadriel's gift to Gimli. But then again he's too sure of himself to really be troubled, and it's so true he has what no other ever will - and I love that finger up to Fëanor. That's a really hot drabble - thank you Liz!

Tiny question - should it be "coarse" metal rather than "course"? Or is the latter a phrase in metalworking I didn't know? (perfectly possible)?

Ack!

That's what I get for doing the final read through and posting at 4:30am. You are indeed correct...and now, so is the drabble. LOL!

I'm glad you liked it and I hope you're having a great day!

Cheers,

Vistula
The shamefaced!

A mega-mega-drabble for Kiana

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KIANA! With apologies to Allie-Meril, from whom I stole the Sindarin name Ithiliel (because I couldn't find anything else that meant "moon-child")

Yes, it's a bit big. Actually it's one thousand words too long for a true drabble; but it did start out as a drabble, and it's 1100 words as counted by MS Works. If anyone objects, I'll remove it from this forum; after Kiana has a chance to see it.

Moonlight And Laughter

“Please, Father; tell me more.” Legolas pleaded. It was too early to sleep; and he never tired of his father’s magical voice.

The candles in the bedchamber silvered his father’s long hair as the King resumed his seat. Somewhere beyond the closed gates, Legolas heard an owl hoot out its nightly cry.

“Very well.” Thranduil smiled and took up the tale anew. “Your Grandfather and I faced the fiercest of foes, mighty trolls, goblins and hungry wargs. This company was led by a terrible troll of the Olog-Hai, riding on a young dragon. All around us the other Eldar and the Edain were hard-pressed, we fought unaided as we battled before Barad-dûr. We feared that we would not survive that evil morning, that the Last Alliance would fail and go down to doom in the sunless depths of Mordor.”

Legolas was a great boy of eleven years, yet he could not help but shiver just a little at the mention of their Enemy. His father’s eyes glinted as he continued the story and spoke of Grandfather’s fall and the deaths of more than half of their people. “Yet hearken to my words, my son” he said, taking Legolas’ hand and warming it in his strong, warm grip. “And tell the tale to your children one day. Though my father fell during that bitter war, so did Sauron, and Barad-dur crashed broken to the ground. He can be defeated again. We will live to see it done, and laugh!” His father grinned, inviting Legolas to laugh too. And all was well in the shadowed chamber within the King‘s caverns.

~~~

“Please, don’t stop, tell me more” Cynwen entreated. Legolas looked fondly at this special child, now just turned eleven years. The daughter of Faramir and Eowyn had somehow planted herself firmly in his heart before she could walk, ceasing baby tears when he lifted her, cooing at his songs. As she grew, he called the little girl his moon-child, for she had a quiet, almost Elven stillness and a silvery laugh that charmed him. Though young, Cynwen was wise beyond her years, and her small hands could already gentle a frightened horse.

Now she met his gaze earnestly, her blue eyes gentle but insistent. “What happened to the dragon,” she asked; “Did your father slay the troll?”

“My grandfather slew the troll with his last sword-thrust, before the dragon fell upon him. Our warriors, who had been first to charge into the battle were soon overwhelmed. My father had taken a wound in his leg, and could barely stand, when the dragon turned its dreadful gaze upon him.”

Cynwen took a sharp breath. At that moment, the moon emerged from behind the clouds to cast its pale light over her face. Legolas realized with a pang that Cynwen would soon have no need of stories to soothe her into sleep. She would grow up, and walk more with young Men and less with Elves. Yet this girl had, like her father, a love of lore, and a special joy in all things Elven that came perhaps from Legolas himself. May you always find joy in stories, my Ithiliel, and may your story have naught but happy endings, he willed.

“My father found it hard to move, and was angered that he could not slay the beast that killed Oropher. But then, he heard a voice that bade him turn his head. Weary, and lacking other choices, he turned his head; and the mithril noseguard on his helmet shone bright and blinded the dragon. The dragon rose up in wrath. Then there came a flurry of spears and arrows, striking the foul beast in its chest and underbelly. It must have dropped some scales from its skin, for the dragon fell down even as it belched out flame.”

“Was it dead?” She asked, her eyes shining in the glow of moon and candles.

“Not quite. My father half-crawled to the dragon, and plunged his sword into its mouth. At the same time, a spear shot through the dragon’s eye. At last, it perished.”

“Your father was brave, Legolas.”

“As is yours, little one, and your mother too. My father looked up to see the dragon dead, but many elves fallen as well. Then he saw the one who had helped him kill the beast. It was a young Man with golden hair, weeping over the body of a great grey horse. About him lay other horses and men, dead, most of them burned by the dragon’s dying flame. My father went to him and thanked him. Then the boy, for he was not much older than you, Ithil-iel, retrieved his spear and strode off to find what was left of his company. My father had no time to learn his name . But he never forgot the strength of Men, and how it saved his life”

“Was the man of the Éothéod?” Cynwen asked eagerly.

“I am not certain. But he could have been kin to your mother and uncle, through many fathers.”

“The dragon killed the horses?”

“Not all of them. Many Men, and Elves and dwarves fell during the Last Alliance. But it was still a victory, greater yet perhaps because it was so dearly bought.”

Cynwen’s eyes were huge now in her small, pretty face. Time to end the tale; for she was tired, after a day spent riding to his wood with her folk, and then exploring the trees at his side..

“Yes, our peoples suffered loss. But sometimes it is worth it, to throw down a great evil. My father told me, when I was as small as you are now, that we would see Sauron defeated, and laugh. I did not fully understand him then. But your mother and father, who lost so much, had to take up the same fight. And this time, Sauron perished from the world. As long as there are those to fight it, evil must perish.”

“You fought the Enemy too, Legolas” Cynwen said very softly, sleep stealing up on her like a cloud over the new moon. “You are as valiant as my father, my mother, and even Uncle Boromir.” She smiled, content now to close her eyes.

“Perhaps”. The elf replied. He saw the child slip sweetly into sleep. He wished that Boromir could have lived to see Cynwen of Ithilien. Silently, he laughed, for the sake of Boromir, and Oropher and all those who had died so this child, and others, could live free of Shadow. And all was well in the moonlit halls of Legolas’ woodland realm.

Re: A mega-mega-drabble for Kiana

Oh my! it's wonderful. She has already gone to bed, but we will read it first thing in the morning. Thank you so much. She will love it, as do I! If you have to move it, please let me know where you repost it. Lovely!

~Lady Aranel~

Ah, Raksha! I thought you were all out of inspiration for Legolas...! This is a wonderful mega-mega-drabble: I'm so glad it got away from you!

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Liz

Thanx, Lady A.  And I hope Kiana had an excellent birthday.  So far, no requests to move the behemoth; and it will eventually join my other drabbles and ficlets on SoA..

RAKSHA

I'm glad you liked the piece, Liz; and thanx for commenting.  I was out of inspiration for Legolas; he's not an easy character for me to write.  Then, between reading Allie's absolutely fantastic drabble with the double-storytelling and having a very bad day on the 17th, ideas about storytelling, Thranduil and little Leggy and then adult Leggy and a certain eleven-year-old human girl began percolating, and my muse got busy fast. 

I did some poking around in the HASA Resources section; checking out the Last Alliance, Thranduil, Mirkwood, etc.  Somehow I lucked onto a line about the forebears of the Rohirrim being connected to Men of Dale, Bardings and Beornings; so I thought that there would have been some blond horsemen fighting with Elves and Men against Sauron then too.  (Yay, HASA!) The young rider who helped Thranduil and survived just walked into the story; I have no idea who he is or what happened to him.  And I came up with the troll-and-dragon combo - JRRT never specified how Oropher was killed, or by who, just that he lost 2/3rds of his force in the Last Alliance and died there himself.

RAKSHA

Raksha, I love this!  It's a lovely tale for all of us Legolas fans, never mind Kiana!  I particularly  like your Thranduil - he's everything he should be.  Thanks!

Jay

Raksha wrote: I did some poking around in the HASA Resources section; checking out the Last Alliance, Thranduil, Mirkwood, etc. Somehow I lucked onto a line about the forebears of the Rohirrim being connected to Men of Dale, Bardings and Beornings; so I thought that there would have been some blond horsemen fighting with Elves and Men against Sauron then too. (Yay, HASA!)

Ah, music to a resource geek's ears! I'm so pleased to know HASA Resources helped and inspired you! I like your mega-mega-drabble even more than I did, if that's possible.

Cheers, Liz

Thanx, Jay and Tanaqui - I so appreciate your kind words!

I haven't reread The Hobbit in years; and have no idea where my copy is. So, although Thranduil had made a strong impression on me, I had to check out various details; and the HASA Research Articles/Resource section was quite helpful. Thranduil is even more interesting than Legolas; he's a very strong personality, I see him as a pragmatist, an opportunist, someone who would be a great fighter with a never-say-die, stick-it-to-Sauron spirit, and someone who would tell stories about the Great Alliance, and other things, to his son. Legolas seems more self-effacing, but just as good a fighter; and has an adventurous spirit. And both Thranduil and Legolas make alliances beyond their own species, and are enriched by them.

RAKSHA

For Mallondwen, 17 August

Mallondwen said I'll be 19 years old. Though my request is a bit late, I would love to have a drabble for my birthday - even if it's late. I'm partial to Legolas (young Legolas is my favorite) but Aragorn or other members of the Fellowship are welcome also. If possible include horses or other animals or birds - the more exotic the better! (No slash please.)

It's late, but here is young Legolas and a brief mention of a horse.

Lessons

Not fair. Why should he apologise to Padathir in front of the whole court? He had not meant to startle the chief counsellor’s horse when he loosed the arrow. But Father had made it clear that a King’s son must take responsibility for all his actions. So Legolas stood tall, aware of everyone’s gaze upon him.

Apology given and accepted, he turned to his father.

“Since it seems you cannot be trusted with a toy bow…,” Thranduil paused. Legolas wondered what further punishment he would face. His father smiled. “It is time you learnt the proper handling of the weapon.”

Happy (belated) birthday! Hope it was a good one.

Cheers, Liz

For Mallondwen - Happy B-day

Behind Enemy Lines with Aragorn in Harad....

“Hmmm.” He held the creature in his hand. Never had he seen such an animal. Was it even an animal? He had seen it moving, out of the corner of his eye, waddling across the desert sands. Bending to touch it, he was greatly surprised. It rolled into a little ball, fitting comfortably in his hand. There was an aura of peace about it. He spoke to it in Elvish, and, lo and behold, it had unwound itself, looking into his face. He couldn’t help but smile. Intelligent eyes looked back at him. At last, he had found a friend.

Re: For Mallondwen, 17 August

Lessons is charming , Liz; little Leggy and his toy bow; then little Leggy getting a real bow...

Agape; what a great piece about Aragorn and the critter. Is it a hedgehog

RAKSHA

For Eruwestial - Sorry I'm late

Rescue Unwanted

“Stop it! Let me be! Take your hands off of me!” the Dwarf howled in anger. If it were a different time, a different place, I might have laughed. But tears were still coursing down my face. I had watched Haldir die. I could not - I would not lose another!

I had to save him. He would fight to the death – his own. Another Elf, one I did not know, took hold of his other arm. No one Elf could wrestle this Son of Aulë. ‘No Elf would want to!’ I thought miserably. ‘I have changed – for the better?’

Re: For Mallondwen, 17 August

Yes, yes, yes.

I was hoping someone would notice. Based on the African hedgehog. A little smaller than the European ones!

Agape

Hooray! Excellent not quite a drabble....

Agape

Re: For Eruwestial - Sorry I'm late

Thank you  SO MUCH, Agape! I love that scene and you've given me Legolas's most likely feelings on the matter! It was well worth the wait!

Eruwestial

A drabble for Elvenesse, from one belated birthday to another

August 13th - Elvenesse - My birthday is on the 13th, so only six days away. I'm quite fond of Celeborn at the moment, so anything about him during any stage of his life would be welcome! Apart from that I'm not fussy: I like elves very much, as well as the Dunedain, Rohirrim and Gondorians. I don't mind smut in any form, and depressing stuff is good too. I'm tempted to list every single character I like, but instead I'll shut up now.

~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~

Ok, I know you said that you like depressing stuff but I opted for a tidbit of joy since Celeborn's life has enough depressing moments. This is one of the moments in Celeborn and Galadriel's lives that I have imagined in great detail. Their reunion! I hope you like it, and Happy belated birthday!

~Mallondwen

~*~*~*~

Reunions!

~*~*~*~

Mercurial eyes swept the shore anxiously; swelling waves were all he had seen for two weeks.

His heart fluttered when he heard a gull cry. He was finally here.

Suddenly in the sunset light he saw in his mind the lithe figure of she who watched the sea, patiently awaiting him.

She smiled.

He smiled.

Surprise, my love! I am here.

Nearly running she emerged from the nearby city moments later and he swept her into his loving arms and kissed her passionately, it seemed an eternity gone by, but never again.

Finally they were really and truly home…Tol Eressëa.

Re: Thanks!

Sorry so late with responses, work is exhausting!

Tanaqui! Thank you so much, any mention of a Horse, however brief is great. They are magnificent animals and my favorite! I love the picture of Legolas head bowed in submission in front of his father, I can just see him now with his hands behind his back, scraping the dirt with his foot and purposefully letting his hair cover his face so as not to show his shame. And then lighting up brilliantly when he realizes what his father is saying. But trying hard to act all adult like by not jumping around in excitement. LoL.

Agape4Gondor, wow, that is amazing! I love Hedgehogs! They are the most interesting little critters, and they do seem to have very intelligent faces, don't they? I love the image of a desolate Ranger stumbling in the desert heat and with parched lips cracking out a smile when he meets those beady black eyes.

THANKS!!!

~Mallondwen

For Mallondwen

Here's another little gift for you, Mallondwen. It's a good deal late and a bit oversized, but I hope you enjoy it anyway. This moment between Legolas and Gimli takes place as the funeral procession for Théoden prepares to leave Minas Tirith on July 19, 3019 III.
~ ~ ~ ~

Will to Wait

'It's time.'

Gimli's gruff words pull me from my contemplation and I turn to face him from my place on the wall. The dwarf stands as if ready to challenge a troll rather than to summon a friend.  'The procession is ready to depart,' he announces, 'Aragorn sent me for you.'

I nod, but my eyes are drawn back to the river and once again I trace the silver ribbon to the point where it vanishes in the mist to the south. Behind me he grunts impatiently.

'I am coming, Gimli'

He steps forward even as I light on the grass and peers over the wall toward the distant river. 'Where are they?' he asks warily.

'The gulls?'

'Yes,' he replies curtly, still searching the air above the river as if he suspects they will haunt me all the way to Mirkwood.

'The gulls have gone, Gimli. They have returned to the Sea.'

'Then why do you still watch for them?'

'It is the Sea that calls me, Elvellon, to the land that lies beyond it. The gulls and the river only remind me of the Sea.' He looks at me askance. He still does not understand. Wearily I try again. 'I watch them because they are free to go to the Sea while I am not.' To my dismay I find that I have not kept the longing from my voice.

He looks away again, standing still as a rock gazing out over the Pelennor and the lands to the south. 'You tell me you cannot go,' he says, his voice a rough whisper. 'What hinders you?  There are yet elven ships to carry you across the Sea. The Lady herself spoke of sailing. I would not have you stay if it is hurtful to you.'

I rest my hand on his shoulder, setting my back to both river and sea and setting my will to do what I must. 'Nay, Gimli, it is not a thing beyond bearing. That day will come, but I am not yet ready to leave these lands.' I forge ahead, my voice and my resolve growing stronger as I speak. 'Did I not give you my word that I would come with you to see the wonders of the Glittering Caves of Aglarond? And I would have you keep your promise to visit Fangorn with me. We must yet return to our own homes for a time, and do we not both have hopes of returning to help Aragorn rebuild Minas Tirith?'

At last Gimli rumbles his assent and looks up at me, squinting into the sun. He is satisfied with my answer, as am I. For now.

'We should not keep Aragorn waiting,' I say, and together we make our way across the greensward toward the stables.

I do not look back.

~ ~ ~ ~ 

From:  Sauron Defeated, HoME 9, The Steward and the King, p57

It is told  in  A  that  'the  Companions  of the  Ring lived  with Gandalf  in a house in  the Citadel,  and went  to and  fro as  they wished;  but Legolas sat  most[ly] on  the walls  and looked  south towards  the sea.'  That the house  was  in  the  Citadel  was  not  repeated   in  B,   which  retained however   the  words   concerning  Legolas;   these  were   lost,  possibly unintentionally, in C. 

~ ~ ~ ~
Happy 19th Birthday again, iell nín 
Ithildin  *(

Re: For Mallondwen

Thank you Ithildin, that was awesome!!! You know how much I love that Elf, lol, what a moment too! What a great moment. Thank you.
   ~Mallondwen

New thread!

More for the August babies!

This is post #50. Mosy on over to the new thread, if ya'd be so kind.

Allie

Re: A drabble for Elvenesse, from one belated birthday to another

Sorry this is so late: I have something important coming up on Saturday, and I’m trying to avoid the evil lure of the internet at the moment!

Thank you! This is a lovely moment in their lives, and I’m always glad that they are eventually together again. I only hope that Celeborn brings his grandsons with him (if they’re not already there, that is).

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum