Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: May 2005 Birthdays - 3

May 2005 Birthdays - 3

HASA Birthday Cards workshop

Instructions for Birthday Drabbling: instructions on the new system.

May 2005 birthday challenge

May 5 - paranoidangel (Nic): I promised Erin I'd ask for Elrond and Sam, so I'd like a drabble with those two in. My birthday's on the 5th (I'm quite happy for them to be late though!)

May 6 - RiverOtter: My birthday is May 6th. After much pondering and muttering, I am requesting encounters. Tell me about a meeting between any two characters - any Age or races or place. The more unusual or obscure, the better.

May 8 - Loremaster of Anorien: My fourteenth birthday is on May 8, and I'd love a drabble about the Denethor, Finduilas, Imrahil, Boromir, and Faramir during a celebration. It would be a happier moment for the rather troubled family who suffer painful losses and mischaracterization in fanfic.

May 9th - Radbooks: I know this is late as my birthday is tomorrow, but I would like a drabble about Aragorn and I.... oh, I bet it can't be an AU. Well, then I guess that's going to have to wait and be in my dreams and I probably don't want it to only be a drabble anyway. Seriously, I would like a drabble with Aragorn and Elrond or Aragorn and Eomer

May 13 - Pippin's Lass: I'd like drabbles on the hobbits (particularly Sam & Frodo) or Faramir (anything--with Eowyn, Elessar, as a child...). I'm also *quite* fond of horses, so anything with horses in is fine by me.

May 14 - Aliana: On May 14th I'll be 20, the age at which Aragorn learned the truth about his heritage. I'd like to hear about any LotR character making a discovery--large or small, funny or serious, that's up to you. Failing that, I'll also swipe Allie's request from March and say I'd not be averse to anything Houses of Healing, either.

May 25 - Dwimordene: Did you know there's a world out there at 6:30 in the morning? I had forgotten. I dislike that I'm reminded. Ulk. To suit my mood, something about Castamir, Ornendil, and/or Eldacar. Something Kin-Strifish, which can include the arguments and tensions preceding the actual war. Post-war stuff would also be welcomed. Thanks!

May 27 - gronyats: Since I love History, I would enjoy a drabble about some interesting lore discussed between Elrond and Glorfindel.

May 30 - Starlight: I think this year I would like gapfillers or Middle-earth mysteries. Any type of gapfiller would do, set on whatever time period and the character of your choice. Anything that you have puzzled about, anything that draws your fancy, anything you wish had been expanded upon- they are all welcome!

If not, something set in Arnor would be lovely. Or, Eomer and Lothiriel. Or maybe something inspired by the Appendices?

Stories in Workshop: Dwim, paranoidangel, Aliana, RiverOtter

For Pippin's Lass May 13

May 13 - Pippin's Lass: I'd like drabbles on the hobbits (particularly Sam & Frodo) or Faramir (anything--with Eowyn, Elessar, as a child...). I'm also *quite* fond of horses, so anything with horses in is fine by me. Ohh, an excuse to play with an idea that has been nuzgulling around in my mind. Sam and Frodo it is! Hope your birthday is a happy one! Go make a story for yourself over in the Birthday Cards Workshop! I'm so sorry that I couldn't put this in your special present place. Beauty Secrets “What’s the secret, Sam?” Frodo, hands as always on the rubbed spot on the rail, leaned over the fence watching Sam at work. “The flowers here always smell sweeter and the colors are -” Frodo waved a hand. “Even the elves have no words to describe this beauty.” Sam sat back, puzzled. “Don’t rightly know, Mr. Frodo. The Gaffer never told me to do anything different here, and I can’t say that I do.” The bit of sacking that should have held pulled weeds lay nearly empty. “I love this place best.” Frodo laughed, fingering the ring chained in his pocket. Gwynnyd

For Aliana May 14

Aliana said On May 14th I'll be 20, the age at which Aragorn learned the truth about his heritage. I'd like to hear about any LotR character making a discovery--large or small, funny or serious, that's up to you. This is a very serious discovery, based on the events recounted in Battle against the Wainriders at the Morannon and Ondoher's Heirs Slain in the Battle against the Wainriders at the Morannon which are referred to in Appendix A. (Oops, I just realised you asked for a LotR character; this just about qualifies, doesn't it?) Tokens of sorrow There is a lull in the fighting: a chance to take food, gather news, plan for the next battle. No few have fallen. “We must send word to the Prince.” Minohtar rubs a weary hand across his eyes. Time later to mourn the loss of uncle and cousin. A squire readies paper and ink for the dispatch. There is challenge and response outside the tent. The leader of the Éothéod enters, bows. “Lords.” His eyes scan the company, uncertain who commands. “I bring tidings.” He can speak no more. Mute, he holds out his hands, shows the tokens. Minohtar pales. Happy Birthday! Cheers, Liz

For gronyats, May 27

gronyats said Since I love History, I would enjoy a drabble about some interesting lore discussed between Elrond and Glorfindel. This is based around events at the Battle of Fornost and in particular Glorfindel foretells the Witch-king's doom. Far off yet “You did not see where he went?” “No. Is it not enough that the North is cleansed?” “Perhaps. But always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.” Elrond glances around the gardens: a haven for three thousand years, yet founded after the fall of another great realm. “And what of your prophecy? Can you speak more?” Glorfindel shakes his head. “No. It was but a certainty that mere prowess in arms from a great champion of men would not be enough. Such evil will be vanquished only by power of some other kind.” Happy Birthday Cheers, Liz

Happy early birthday, Aliana

Another drabble in which Dwim reveals her slobbering Aragorn fangirlishness. Hope you like it! Discovery The West's laid bare. Fenced within his fortress, he casts his gaze over Rohan's plains, and all stands revealed. Shadow alone withstands him, but shadow's his own servan— A wrench. Helm's Deep looms, will not be o'erpassed, for the far-seer calls. Saruman? But, nay, 'tis no wizard, yet he knows this one from afar. Pale proof, sword and standard—he knows that spirit. Isildur. Overstrong, overproud Isildur. Fool! he laughs. Too soon. In the match of minds, he's overthrown. As the glass darkens, his enemy's farewell mocks him: Neither Isildur's strength nor pride have I, for Isildur I am not!

Re: For Pippin's Lass May 13

Beauty Secrets Hm, interesting, Gwynnyd! Nicely malevolant little twist—the secret of the flowers' unusual beauty juxtaposed with Frodo's artificially preserved youthful beauty. One hopes the flowers' secret is simply good manure or something of that sort.

Re: For Aliana May 14

Tokens of Sorrow Boy, I'd forgotten just what a bloodbath this was. It somehow makes it worse that Minohtar is next!

Late for Riverotter!

But better late than never, eh? Hope you had a good one! Sorry I couldn't find any nicer two in my head. Courier “You him?” Bill Ferny looked up suspiciously. The man standin’ in front of him was definitely out o’ Dunland. Dirty pig-humpers, every one o’ them. “Depends on who yer lookin’ for,” Ferny replied with a sneer. Fella squinted at him, looked him over like Ferny was the errand boy and not t’other way round. “Guess you’s him, alright,” he drawled. He neatly sailed a sealed parchment packet into Ferny’s lap. “Better jump to it,” the squinty fella mocked. “Man don’t like to be kept waitin'.” Ferny thought about gettin' up and showin' the narrow-eyed bugger how things were, but decided it warn’t worth the effort. On the front of the packet was the familiar white hand.

Re: For Pippin's Lass May 13

One hopes the flowers' secret is simply good manure or something of that sort. Well, no. I was thinking that Frodo was unconsciously using the Ring to enhance that little bit of his garden. Galadriel tells Frodo: "Did not Gandalf tell you that the rings give power according to the measure of each possessor? Before you could use that power you would need to become far stronger, and to train your will to the domination of others. Yet even so, as Ring-bearer and as one that has borne it on finger and seen that which is hidden, your sight is grown keener. " I thought it was a nice little conceit that Frodo had 'willed' his favorite place to stand a little prettier. Gwynnyd

Re: For Aliana May 14

Tokens of Sorrow *sniffle* That is so sad! What a horrible shock! - Barbara, who gets all emotional about these things... (but loves this corner of canon anyway...)

Squeeeeee!

Okay, all you guys -- the birthday drabbles here have been really fine the last couple of months -- but today's crop is truly extraordinary! Thank you all for gracing my day with such beauty! - Barbara, with a big smile on her face...

Re: Late for Riverotter!

Hi Edoraslass - what a terrific drabble. This made me laugh out loud! Such wonderful turns of phrase ("dirty pig-humpers" *snork*). Also congratulations on becoming Welcome Manager. Cheers, Liz

Re: For gronyats, May 27

Liz, Thank you for the wonderful B-day gift. It seems very interesting that the most confidant Elrond would look to Glorfindel for a prophecy instead of the other way around. I love it, especially the part shown below. Hmm, would that power be . . . Love? Gronyats Glorfindel shakes his head. “No. It was but a certainty that mere prowess in arms from a great champion of men would not be enough. Such evil will be vanquished only by power of some other kind.”

Re: May Babies 2005 - Part 3

Gronyats: Since I love History, I would enjoy a drabble about some interesting lore discussed between Elrond and Glorfindel. Here are Elrond and Glorfindel, and it involves history, though I'm not sure it's exactly a discussion. Hope you enjoy. (Hobbit-inspired, believe it or not...) More Than Memory ***** "Is what I hear true?" Elrond laid his quill down and looked more closely at the golden-haired elf-lord sitting opposite him. "What did you hear?" Glorfindel tapped his fingers impatiently on the table. "Erestor tells me the dwarves bore swords from Gondolin." "Aye. Their leader Thorin, and the wizard Gandalf." Elrond picked his words carefully. "Why did you not tell me?" True, Glorfindel was among the last of Gondolin in Middle-earth; Elrond should have told him, but time had been short. "Such a treasure...." Glorfindel's tone was wistful. "I would have seen Gondolin again with my own eyes."

Re: For gronyats, May 27

Hi Gronyats So glad you liked it. It seems very interesting that the most confidant Elrond would look to Glorfindel for a prophecy instead of the other way around. Well, Glorfindel is the one who makes the prophecy at the Battle of Fornost - I thought Elrond might be trying to work out why he said that and how much weight he should give to it! I love it, especially the part shown below. Hmm, would that power be . . . Love? Yes. I had love, pity and fidelity in mind: I think Eowyn and Merry can tackle the Witch-king because of their love and steadfastness towards others (Eowyn for Theoden and Merry for Eowyn). Cheers, Liz

May 9th - Radbooks: I know this is late as my birthday is tomorrow, but I would like a drabble about Aragorn and I.... oh, I bet it can't be an AU. Well, then I guess that's going to have to wait and be in my dreams and I probably don't want it to only be a drabble anyway. Seriously, I would like a drabble with Aragorn and Elrond or Aragorn and Eomer I will not even attempt to top Liz's drabble! And make a story for yourself in the Birthday Cards workshop so I can put this there! Here's a nice Aragorn, Elrond sort of Arwen-y one. Hope your birthday was great! Generosity Do not hope! Aragorn admonishes himself. The wait now will be as nothing to what has gone before. Gondor’s king, but Arnor still in disarray. He must earn the Sceptre before he has the right to Arwen’ s hand. The crowd cheers, sound swelling as the concourse of elves draws near. He could not demand of the messengers, “Does Elrond carry a sceptre?” Only Arwen claims his attention as Elrond leads her forward. A moment passes before Aragorn realises the warmth of his love’s hand is balanced by the cool smoothness of the rod. “I am not so cruel,” Elrond whispers. Therefore, though I love you, I say to you: Arwen Undómiel shall not diminish her life's grace for less cause. She shall not be the bride of any Man less than the King of both Gondor and Arnor. Tale of Aragorn and Arwen Gwynnyd

Re: Late for Riverotter!

Thanks Tanaqui! I'm having some serious anti-Dunlending issues at present, due to their presence in a backstory ficlet I'm writing. Figured I might as well use 'em! Also congratulations on becoming Welcome Manager. Thanks again! I think it'll be fun!

for ParanoidAngel

My impression from the book was that Sam had never seen this plant before. And that's where this came from! Happy Birthday! Reward Sam stared at the small potted plant Elrond was attempting to hand him. “But -- I’ve got nothing to give you, sir,” he stammered, ill-at-ease with accepting a gift from the Elven lord. Elrond smiled. “You have given me what you’ve given the entire land, Master Samwise,“ he said gently, aware of Sam’s discomfort. “Hope. A life without Shadow.” Sam blushed red as Merry’s new vest. Then his eyes sharpened interestedly as he looked more closely at the little seedling. “That’s -- athelas, isn’t it?” Elrond nodded. “It is,” he said. “And it will flourish in the Shire.”

For Pippin's Lass

Happy Birthday! Here's a bit of Faramir for you (inspired by the conversations about mathematics at the Deconstructing Denethor Forum. Thanks, guys!) Hope you have a great birthday! Cheers, Starlight *** Intervals Everyone cheered ere he’d blown the final note. ‘You’ve very much improved, son,’ Adrahil said, ruffling his hair. Faramir smiled, shyly, holding on to the flute to keep it away from Rothos- he would’ve chewed at it. ‘He has improved,’ said Boromir, squeezing his shoulder. ‘I’m gone one summer, and see how he’s changed!’ ‘I wasn’t so bad before! It’s quite easy, just like mathematics: sounds are intervals, multiples, patterns; the value is also math-’ ‘I meant you’ve grown, silly. Do you always have to sound so much like Father?’ ‘All right,’ Faramir said. ‘I’ll just say I like music.’

Belated present for Radbooks

Sorry to be so late! Here's Aragorn and Eomer-nothing fancy, just a quiet conversation shortly after returning to Minas Tirith from Cormallen. Hope you had a good birthday, and best wishes to you. Cheers, Starlight *** A Quiet Conversation ‘Your Steward spoke with me today,’ said Eomer, at last. Aragorn arched a brow. ‘He seems much… improved.’ ‘In health?’ ‘Aye.’ Another long silence. ‘Well?’ ‘My sister, it seems, has had a large part in his recovery.’ Eomer shook his drink. ‘Does Eowyn strike you as a healer?’ ‘The Lady Eowyn has many virtues; some she has not yet shown. What did you do?’ ‘I went to see Imrahil.’ He ignored Aragorn’s pointed stare. ‘He has much to say concerning his nephew, as does everybody else around here.’ ‘Eomer… what happened?’ ‘You’ll just have to wait ‘til they tell you.’

Happy Birthday Aliana!

And I am early, too! Aliana wanted a discovery and/or Houses of Healing. Hope you enjoy, and may you have the happiest of birthdays. Starlight *** A different type of fear When the summons from her brother called her to Cormallen, she thought not upon it twice ere she refused. She wondered at it, later. Day after day she walked in the gardens, thinking, listening… then asking questions… then smiling! At times she did not recognize herself. Wyn, the child, seemed to stare in joy from a distant corner. But soon she found herself alone—again—and the brief respite from hurt and fear gave way to sinking despair. One day the Steward came. And, shocking as a thunderbolt, she realized she’d been waiting for him. By Béma! Was she frightened? *** "'...Éowyn, do you not love me?' [said Faramir] Then the heart of Éowyn changed, or else at last she understood it. And suddenly her winter passed, and the sun shone on her." (The Stewart and the King, RotK, emphasis mine)

Re: Happy Birthday Aliana!

Ooh, this is great, Starlight - she realized she'd been waiting for him snicker-snicker. I love Faramir/Eowyn romance...And I liked A QUIET CONVERSATION even if I think Faramir helped Eowyn more than she helped him; but Eomer's perspective is marvelous. RAKSHA

Re: Happy Birthday Pippin's Lass!

Faramir, Eowyn and horses - but about 500 extra words so it can be found here Happy birthday.

Happy Birthdays - Loremaster and Pippin's Lass!

This is for both Loremaster of Anorien, who wanted a happy birthday celebration for Imrahil, Finduilas, Denethor and the kids; and for Pippin's Lass, who wanted "any" Faramir. The celebration takes place after Finduilas, so it isn't entirely angst-free, but I hope you'll like. I tried to do a regular 100-word drabble, really I did! It just grew. Six hundred words as counted by MS Works. Birthday Kisses It was a quiet celebration: no clowns or minstrels or crowds of happy children, just the family, what remained of it, and platters of sweets. Since my sister’s death, Denethor had known no joy, even in this, Faramir’s sixth birthday celebration. Faramir received new clothing, a practice sword, and even a leather-bound book about the Elendili, his favorite heroes. He accepted them with his mother‘s well-remembered grace, but his smile never touched his solemn grey eyes. I brought forth the special present that I had borne from Dol Amroth. I set down the cage and opened its door to release the gift. Faramir gasped in surprise when the puppy stepped cautiously out, a tiny creature with a soft blue-gray coat. “It’s just like Mousie!” Boromir exclaimed. Faramir opened his hands beneath the pup’s nose and let her sniff his fingers. “You are right, Boromir” I said. “This is Mousie’s puppy. She wanted her pup to come to live with Faramir. It is a bitch pup; Faramir, and will love you as her mother did if you are good and kind to her.” Mousie was my sister’s adored Belfalas Greyhound. Denethor could not bear to set eyes on the bitch after Finduilas had left us. I had taken Mousie home with me, heavy with the litter Finduilas had not lived to see. Two small sounds cheered the quiet chamber: the pup’s excited squeak in response to Faramir’s touch; and Faramir’s answering laugh. He carefully lifted the puppy in his arms, holding her against his chest. The puppy nibbled the ends of Faramir’s hair, then licked his chin. I remembered my sister holding Mouse as a pup, giggling at her antics. Faramir had always loved his mother’s dog; and had fretted at her departure, so soon after Finduilas‘ passing. But now, Faramir and Boromir smiled. “Oh, Uncle, thank you; she is wondrous!” Faramir said, his eyes alight with joy. My heart warmed to see the lad so cheered; but I could not accept his thanks. “Nay Faramir; she is not my gift. Your father told me to bring her here for you.” “Father?” Faramir looked up, utterly surprised, at his stern-faced father. “She is your gift?” Denethor came to his son, and bent down, his shadow partially engulfing both boys. “Yes, my son. Your mother would have wanted you to have the animal. But you must care well for it, and train it, and keep it out of the Tower Hall.” “I will! Thank you, truly, Sire!” Faramir reached up toward the tall grim figure. Denethor stepped back slightly. Then he knelt and placed his hand on Faramir’s head. “A good birthday to you, Faramir” Denethor pronounced quietly, and withdrew to his seat. For a moment, Faramir looked wistfully after his father. But the puppy found Faramir’s fingers then, and licked them, and rolled over as the child happily rubbed her belly. Seeing the boy revel in the puppy‘s affection, I was saddened that Denethor could still find it so hard to bestow fatherly tenderness upon his younger son. They were both bereaved. Denethor had comforted Boromir, who had held his father’s heart in his keeping since his birth. Yet Denethor was too immersed in his own sorrow to reach out to this quiet boy who was so much like him. I looked back at Denethor. He smiled bleakly, his own eyes alight with unshed tears, as he watched Faramir. Ah. Denethor truly did love his second son. Why did he show it only through the gift of a foolish puppy who now gave Faramir the kisses his father could not spare? the puppy is an Italian Greyhound, a toy greyhound that is sweet and very graceful, and does resemble an extremely pretty mouse. They come in many colors; and have been lapdogs and the companions of kings (Frederick the Great had one). I often visualize Finduilas with an Italian Greyhound, as Denethor is not a dog person but might allow a small, elegant critter that is easy to keep clean.

For Aliana

This drabble is a little strange, but I hope you like it. Wishing you fair passage and many joyous discoveries. Branwyn Terra Incognita Rain clattered on the bunker roof and ran in muddy rivulets down the walls. The smell of coffee and woolen socks rose from the small stove. “The captain? He’s not a bad sort, as officers go. But when I first saw those books of his, I thought they were written in German — that gave me a turn, it did! The captain says it’s some old kind of English. “Then he’s always drawing maps, so finally I get up the nerve to ask. ‘Sir,’ says I, 'is that the eastern front?' He just gives me the oddest smile and says, ‘Yes.’”

Re: Happy Birthdays :)

I've been so b-day lazy this month, and everything's been so great! Starlight - Eomer still seems a bit disgruntled to me, but it's so nice to see him not flat-out hostile toward Faramir in the very beginning! And I love Eowyn waiting for Faramir, and not realizing it til he shows up. I find that a very likely frame of mind for her. Avon - Whooo! Horse-stealin' Faramir! I like seeing that he did envy Boromir something, at some time. Very nice! Raksha - Yours softened my heart toward Denethor a bit, which is really such a hard thing to do. And points for Imrahil as narrator! Very touching.

Re: Happy Birthdays - Loremaster and Pippin's Lass!

Faramir and a little puppy--SQUEEE! OK, now that I have gotten that out of my system.... Poor Denethor can't even acknowledge that this is his gift; he has to say that Finduilas would have wanted Faramir to have the pup. Sigh. I liked that Faramir knew how to introduce himself to the new dog.

For Starlight

Gapfiller it is, with your host, Imrahil. Happy Birthday! Kin She is much like her brother, this woman my nephew has chosen. Not only in appearance, though none could see the two of them together and doubt their kinship; no, there is a spirit shared between them that shines as brightly as the noonday sun on their golden hair. She meets my eyes as squarely as Éomer does, holds herself as proudly and as confidently. When she walks, her training in the way of the sword is evident, if one has the eyes to see, and I suspect that they sit a horse the same way, as well. I smile, and take her hand. “I am glad to see you well, Lady Éowyn.” She curtsies gracefully, and again I see a similarity to her brother in her movements, though it is odd in such a feminine action. She is a welcome addition to the family.

Re: For Aliana

Oh, Branwyn! You're right, this is a little strange, but what a wonderful strange it is!

Re: Belated present for Radbooks

Starlight, Thanks so much for this wonderful drabble conversation between two of my favorite men! The chance for the two of them just to be at ease with each other without the threat of war hanging over their heads is nicely portrayed here. And, I love celebrating my birthday all month long! Radbooks

OOOH, Branwyn; Terra Incognita is very original and fresh. The narrator reminds me of Sam. I get this great image of young Tolkien drawing early maps of a different world as he and his men shiver in the rain-spattered bunker. Thanx for the kind words. Agree that Faramir and a puppy is most definitely squee-worthy; but I'm just a nut for puppies. Anyway, Faramir can master both beasts and men; so I figure he must have been exposed very early to domestic critters. Let's hope that Boromir gave him some help in house-breaking the pup; that's a big responsibility for a six-year-old. Avon - your Faramir & horse piece is drop-dead gorgeous. There's something about a boy's love for horses. Luckily he married a girl who loved horses just as much, if not more. EdorasLass - nice work on "Kin" - Imrahil seeing Eowyn for the first time and noticing her strong similarity to Eomer, of whom he's already quite fond...Glad you liked Birthday Kisses - I see Denethor, even loving his younger son to a certain extent, having trouble expressing that love, especially after Finduilas was dead; while being more easily able to show affection to Boromir. RAKSHA THE DEMON

Happy Birthday, Aliana!

Hi Aliana, a very happy 20th birthday to you! All the best wishes and a wonderful day! I wrote you a tribble. A very, very, very naughty tribble. Aranel says it's heavy R, bordering NC-17. I hope you'll read it nevertheless! Here's the link (edit: it is possible that the link only works if you already belong to the Birthday Cards Workshop; the tribble is chapter 7 of Aliana's birthday story). Two Discoveries Enjoy! Yours JunoMagic P.S.: You lurkers and readers out there, I'd really like to know what you think of that one.

May 14 - Aliana: [snip] I'd like to hear about any LotR character making a discovery--large or small, funny or serious, that's up to you. My favourite villain making to me what is one of the most important discoveries in all of canon... check. Discovery in the Dark ***** We hates the nasty faces, burning lights, but it shows us things. We must find it, the hole where we hide the precious... Here it is. The hole where we keeps it, our birthday-present. We reaches inside. Where is it? We always keeps it here, no nassssty goblins pawing and prying... We used it to hunt them, yes, for we must eat. But we put it back, didn't we? We always puts it back, we cannot lose it after so long... "Curse the Baggins! It's gone! What has it got in its pocketses? Oh we we guess, we guess..."

Oooooh, we likes it, we likes Discovery In The Dark, we likes it very much! RAKSHA THE DEMON

Oooooh, we likes it, we likes Discovery In The Dark, we likes it very much! Thanks, Raksha! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I probably should mention that the last line is a direct quote from The Hobbit, Riddles in the Dark; I've read that chapter so many times that the dialogue seems second nature, but some people may not realize that.

*melts* Thanks, Raksha! That wasn't exactly happy, but it was very, very good all the same. I loved your Denethor; that's very him, I would say. It pretty much melted my heart in a little puddle. And the puppy sounded soooooo cute. Thanks for the gift. As for the thoughtful reviews you bestowed on my fics, thanks. If you wish to finish of Denethor and finduilas, it's done. Thanks! namarie! loremaster

So glad you liked the tale, Loremaster! As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing cuter in RL than a puppy, and nothing cuter in Tolkien fanfic than child-Faramir; so of course I had to put them together. And Denethor pretty much wrote himself. I had planned first that the pup would be Imrahil's gift, but nooo, Denethor told me in no uncertain terms that it was his birthday present to his son. RAKSHA

Wind of Despair

Hello everyone! I just wanted to know if anyone saw the story I dedicated to Pippin's Lass - Wind of Despair. I posted the link in the last thread at the end, so I wasn't sure if anyone noticed it. I don't mean to sound like a whinny brat, but I felt a little forgotten when nobody said anything about it. Of course it's probably so bad it doesn't deserve a response. I'm sorry. I shouldn't say such things. The drabbles this month have been wonderful! Everyone keep up the good work! Blessings to all! ~Nienna

Re: Happy Birthday, Aliana!

Juno, I followed the link to the smut tribble, but instead it took me to a page listing the HASA workshops to which I belong. No very, very, very naughty tribble. Hmmm.... Branwyn

Why does it take me to Aliana's B-Day Workshop and the chapter I added to it then???? I don't understand that! I checked the link twice! Anyways: the naughty tribble is in Aliana's birthday-story, chapter 7. Read & enjoy! Yours Juno

Oh, I like this! A drabble about Tolkien himself, I take it? Very unusual, but very nice. Well done! Jay

Re: For Aliana/Branwyn's drabble

That is so AWESOME! I am deeply in awe. I can absolutely imagine that it happened that way. I told it to my husband: he loves it, too. Yours Juno

I followed the link to the tribble, but instead it took me to a page listing the HASA workshops to which I belong You need to have signed up for a workshop for links to a particular workshop story to work. Once you have signed up for the birthday card workshop, Juno's link works as intended. Let me know if you have any trouble signing up! Amanda.

Drabble for Aliana

May 14 - Aliana: On May 14th I'll be 20, the age at which Aragorn learned the truth about his heritage. I'd like to hear about any LotR character making a discovery--large or small, funny or serious, that's up to you. Aliana: Wow! It was so hard winnowing down the 'discoveries'. I hope you enjoy this. Father’s Dilemma Imrahil regards his unrepentant daughter’s mulish eyes and compressed lips. He keeps his tone reasonable. “It has been understood for years. The lands suit. He is a good, honorable man, who will care for you well.” “I do not love him. May I not marry for love? The queen did, and Faramir.” Imrahil thought they had much to answer for. “You will learn to love him. There is nothing against him.” Lothiriel guiltily looks away. “I do not like his kisses.” Suspicion surfaces. “Whom else have you been kissing?” Eyes joyful, she smiles. “Éomer! Would not a king be better?” And many thanks also to Tanaqui, whose story Later supplied the inspiration. Hope your birthday was a very happy one! Gwynnyd

Hi Branwyn, I feel the need to repeat myself. This is one of the best drabbles I have ever read. Thank you for sharing this awesome drabble. Cheers, Juno

Re: for ParanoidAngel

EdorasLass - I love it, it's so Elrond and so Sam, thank you. Nic

Re: For Aliana (Terra Incognita)

Juno, [blushes furiously] Thanks much for your kind comments! That drabble spawned a huge and determined plotbunny that has been biting my ankles all afternoon (making housework very difficult indeed.) I really do not have the time to write a series of fictitious adventures of JRRT during World War I, LOL! Jay, I am glad that you liked this piece! Yes, the man in question is Captain Tolkien. Raksha and Edoraslass, Thanks for your kind words!

Happy Birthday, Aliana! (Two Discoveries)

Juno, [blush] Naughty young ones, yes, but also innocent and very surprised. The piece was very well-written, and I liked the mental connection between the two of them--those brothers share everything, don't they? [Edit: once I joined the birthday cards workshop, the link to the story worked fine.} Branwyn

"Thank you!!" says Aliana

Wow!! This is wonderful. So sorry I didn't get to everyone sooner; my birth-week has been exceptionally busy. Liz - Mute, he holds out his hands, shows the tokens. Minohtar pales. Wow! Absolutely chilling, and a very important discovery indeed. Thanks for both the drabble and the links--I do enjoy improving the scope of my Middle-earth history knowledge! Dwim - "Slobbering Aragorn fangirlishness" = quite okay with me! Just wonderful--I was like, "You go, Strider! Show that eyeball who's boss!!" I especially loved this line: Pale proof, sword and standard—he knows that spirit. Starlight - And, shocking as a thunderbolt, she realized she’d been waiting for him. By Béma! Was she frightened? Ha! What a wonderful self-discovery, featuring one of my favorite characters. A lovely comment on shifting moods and the way we sometimes may not even know ourselves. Branwyn - I loved "Terra Incognita"--very, very different! It's wonderful to think of how Tolkien must have woven M-e into his own life. ‘Sir,’ says I, 'is that the eastern front?' He just gives me the oddest smile and says, ‘Yes.’ Ha! The Eastern Front, indeed! Juno - What can I say? Elves will be elves, I suppose--thanks for the naughtiness and the silliness! Marta - Thanks for this take on Gollum, a highly underused character in fanfic. And it was a very important discovery, indeed! The hole where we keeps it, our birthday-present. Haha, maybe I should go find somewhere to keep this precious birthday gift... Gwynnyd - Oh, this was so sweet! I especially loved this line: Suspicion surfaces. “Whom else have you been kissing?” And I do remember that part in "Later" - highly, highly amusing! Thanks everyone!! These are truly wonderful. Cheers, Ali

Re:

my birth-week has been exceptionally busy. I hope some of the exceptional busy-ness was devoted to enjoying your birthday. I'm glad you liked "Discovery"!

Re: For Starlight

Thank you, EodrasLass! This was awesome, and such a nice birthday present, too. I love how you see Eowyn and Eomer's resemblance to each other. I've thought about this, too. We know that "Eomer was like his fathers before him..." but Eowyn was tall and slender, possessed of a grace that came to her from her grandmother, Morwen. I love that not only they share gestures and mannerisms, but they also have the same fiery spirit. I love her interaction with Imrahil. How she would meet his eye and carry herself proudly, despite what she might feel inside (was she mabye a bit nervous? I know I was when I met my then boyfriend's family ;-) ) but I also love the way she manages to be so strong and yet so feminine and graceful. Thank you so much for such a nice birthday present! Starlight P.S. Eomer still seems a bit disgruntled to me, but it's so nice to see him not flat-out hostile toward Faramir in the very beginning! I know... I'm sorry he is still too disgruntled. I've been thinking about this for a while, and I can't shake out that image of Eomer being shocked upon realization that Eowyn had betrothed herself in his absence (so much happened, and so quickly!) He'll come around in the end, of course, but upon immediate realization, I think it must have been more than a little bit surprising. And, it makes for a series of amusing situations to put those beloved characters in, if I ever get around to finishing that story, anyway ;-) Again, thanks for my birthday present!

Re: Drabble for Aliana

Gwynnyd, I *loved* your drabble for Aliana. I can just imagine Imrahil's shock. And, I love that part from later. What a small world, indeed. This was great! Thanks, Starlight

Re:

Ha! What a wonderful self-discovery, featuring one of my favorite characters. A lovely comment on shifting moods and the way we sometimes may not even know ourselves. I'm very glad you enjoyed it, Aliana. Thanks

Re: For Starlight

I love her interaction with Imrahil. How she would meet his eye and carry herself proudly, despite what she might feel inside (was she mabye a bit nervous? I know I was when I met my then boyfriend's family ;-) Yay! I'm so glad you liked i! Yes, at first Imrahil probably be a fairliy intimidating guy to meet, wouldn't he? Then, ten minutes later, you're wondering, "Now why was I nervous to meet him?" I know... I'm sorry he is still too disgruntled Er...no. Eomer in disgruntled-protecitive-brother-mode works just fine for me, oh yes it does. It's just so often he's show chasing Faramir round the Citadel ready to chop his head off, rather than just being worried about his sister.

This drabble is a little strange, but I hope you like it. Terra Incognita Branwyn! This is genius! I love it. "Eastern Front"! snork! Oh, thank you for writing this for Aliana! Gwynnyd

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum