Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: March 2005 Birthdays - 5

March 2005 Birthdays - 5

Post all new drabbles and requests here, please!

March 3 - Celandine Brandybuck: I'd still appreciate drabbles about any of the Steward's family. Time, place, topic up to the author's discretion!

March 6 - Agape4Gondor: Is there a chance I might find a Boromir drabble here for me?

March 6 - Khazar-Khum: For drabbles--let's see the bad guys in action, shall we?

March 7 - Narwen Almiriel: Firstly, sorry for such short notice! My birthday is on the 7th of March. I only joined HASA a few days ago, and was so thrilled to find that I could request a birthday drabble. And I can’t even seem to make up my mind…Let’s see…Could I have a drabble about either a). Celeborn and Galadriel being reunited in Aman, or b). Finwë and either one of his wives (or both, even…) or c). Melian and Elwë. Please? Pretty please?

March 11 - Erin (Sangfroid101): Something involving the Teleri- anything. It can be a teleri reference by some LOTR characters, or a drabble at sea, wherever, whenever. I'm not picky. I just like the teleri. :-)

March 14 - Elena Tiriel: I'd like a drabble about one or more male character(s) being heroic (however you wish to define that term -- it's not limited to deeds in battle...). My favorite races are Elves (not Kinslayers) and Rohirrim... but Faramir will do in a pinch. Or even Gimli. (Especially if he's with Legolas...) And I *love* it when someone picks out an obscure corner of canon to write about... but that's not a requirement, just icing on the (many-candled) birthday cake...

March 20 - Vistula the Dunedain: My birthday (the BIG 40) is March 20th and I would LOVE drabbles that have YOUR favorite character somehow interacting with MY favorite character. For those few of you who haven't already guessed who THAT may be, the answer is, of course, Sam.

Anytime, any place, any situation is great! (And I don't mind slash either, if you are so inclined.)

March 23 - Tárion Anaróre: I would reeeeeeeeeeeally love something with the sons of Feanor. Especially the younger ones, if you're up to it! I'd also take anything with Elladan & Elrohir if you don't want to do kinslayers (I love them to death). (Just no slash please!)

March 24 - Obsidianj (Chris): I would like something with Aragorn(Strider) and the hobbits or Aragorn and Boromir.

March 29 - Meril (Allie): I'm incredibly indecisive. I want (a) a happy moment between Feanor and Nerdanel, or (b) anything Houses of Healing, or (c) Galadriel and Celeborn anywhere. If you incorporate all of those (definitely not required!), I'll drop dead from shock.

March 31 - Forodwaith: I'd love drabbles about Arwen (a criminally underwritten character IMO), especially if they focus on a part of her life other than her relationship with Aragorn. If you're an Arwen-hater, write me a drabble about Sam and his garden and I'll be just as happy.

Re: Happy Birthday, Narwen Almiriel and Allie!

re: Barbara's drabbles for me (and Narwen) *gasp* Barbara! I love it, thank you! So beautiful, and elvish, and... and... gah, I just love them so much! Glad you like them, Allie! It's early for your birthday and late for Narwen Almiriel's, so I figure it all balances out... May I repost in my LJ, pretty please? Allie Of course, I'd be honored. - Barbara

Re: March Babies 2005 - Take 5

Hey Allie! Don't forget to add the new request posted by Chris for March 24!! Vistula

Gah! Thank you, Vistula! I missed that one! My apologies, Chris! Allie

Thanks so much for including me . I didn't exect a drabble for me so soon! Thank you EdorasLass. That was so cute. Just what I had pictured. Aragorn getting nostalgic and Boromir wondering Chris

STEWARDSHIP - for Vistula

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Vistula the Dunedain! March 20 - Vistula the Dunedain: My birthday (the BIG 40) is March 20th and I would LOVE drabbles that have YOUR favorite character somehow interacting with MY favorite character. For those few of you who haven't already guessed who THAT may be, the answer is, of course, Sam. This is the drabble that was sparked by your comment to me (concerning the mega-drabble ROOTS AND BRANCHES) about "something green and growing". Everyone please note that it's 100 words (not including title and LOTR quote) - very rare for me! RAKSHA THE DEMON STEWARDSHIP I watched my young friends as we took our ease atop the highest hill of Emyn Arnen. Aragorn looked out toward the distant White City. Nearby, Frodo dozed against a broad oak. Gimli jested with Peregrin and Meriadoc. Faramir, our host at this site of his future home, stood with Legolas and Samwise. They spoke ardently of growing green fields and gardens, of flowers common to their lands, of preserving old trees while planting new crops. When I left for Valinor’s untroubled shores, this Man and Elf and Hobbit would indeed be worthy to inherit my long stewardship of Middle-earth. “But I will say this: the rule of no realm is mine, neither of Gondor nor any other, great or small. But all worthy things that are in peril as the world now stands, those are my care. And for my part, I shall not wholly fail of my task, though Gondor should perish, if anything passes through this night that can still grow fair or bear fruit and flower again in days to come. For I also am a steward. Did you not know?” Gandalf, Minas Tirith, RETURN OF THE KING

Re: STEWARDSHIP - for Vistula

I love pieces written from Gandalf's POV, Raksha, and this is a wonderful example.

Wow, that was very cool Raksha! I had all but forgotten about that line in the books. Oops, I should reread the books again, apparently! I guess I'm a bit overdue... Anyways, I enjoyed it at any rate, even if it didn't have my name at the top! -Tárion

I'd forgotten that passage too, which makes the drabble even more lovely. And it suddenly makes perfect sense to me how Faramir really is a wizard's pupil.

Lovely drabble, though I couldn't figure out whose pov it was until I read the quote.

Happy Birthday, Vistula!

Aragorn isn't my favorite character, but he's one of my favorites. I hope I wrote Sam right here; I don't usually write hobbits. Enjoy! And have a happy birthday... 40 years young! ~ Love-Struck Fools Aragorn breathed in the scent of roses. Even when winter covered Middle-earth with snow, summer seemed to linger in Elrond’s gardens. “Well, Master Gardener, what do you think of Rivendell?” he asked. A blush found its way onto the hobbit’s face. It was a strange thing to Aragorn… the hobbit approved of every plant they saw on their walk, but he only grinned when he saw roses. Almost the way Aragorn himself grinned every time he saw niphredil. Yet in this they differed: one saw a vision of Lúthien dancing, the other a pretty hobbit-maid with ribbons in her hair. ~ -Ithiliel

Thank you RAKSHA for a most excellent second drabble:-) It was like having second breakfast but without calories...truly a birthday treat! I love how you show Gandalf's confidence that the green and growing places of Middle Earth are in good hands with Faramir, Sam and Legolas. This drabble was a very enjoyable surprise! Cheers, Vistula

Happy Birthday, Vistula!

And it's even on the right day. This double drabble is a bookend to your present for me: another encounter in a garden, Sam and Arwen talking about Frodo. Faint Hope The sun was pleasantly hot on Arwen's shoulders as she turned the earth around the irises. Hearing the whisper of bare hobbit feet on turf, she smiled; her fellow-gardener had joined her. "Frodo’s well enough to travel at last." Joy quickened Sam's deliberate tongue. "We're going home, Lady Arwen!" "Samwise--" She hesitated. "Frodo is not - entirely - well." Fear clouded Sam's eyes, and she hastened to explain. "His wounds are healing, but his spirit is still weak. He may never be as he once was." "I know, my lady, but the Shire will do him good. You'll see," Sam said stoutly. Arwen opened her mouth, but could not bring herself to smash his dear-held hopes; perhaps Sam’s love and the peace of his homeland might make even Frodo whole. "I hope you are right, and that I shall see you both happy when next I journey north." Yet when she straightened up, Sam seemed to stand with her on the shore of a wide grey sea dividing them from those they loved, with a white ship melting into the horizon. She laid a hand on his shoulder, wishing there were comfort for either of them here in Middle-Earth.

Re: Happy Birthday, Vistula!

Yea!!! Another one...another one... This is just like an Easter egg hunt for my birthday! Every time I turn around there's another drabble to savor. *Doing a slow happy dance after indulging in two different types of cake already today* This is a great drabble, and I think you got Sam down just perfect. I can easily see him, in the midst of all the troubles and worries, thinking fondly of his Rosie - with a shy blush in his cheeks and a happy grin. And how astute of our Ranger friend to notice and compare to his own "lovelorn" state. BTW...Aragorn is my second favorite character. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Vistula

Re: Happy Birthday, Vistula!

Thank you so much Forodwaith! Such a bittersweet drabble for my dear Sam and the gentle lady. Sam seemed to stand with her on the shore of a wide grey sea dividing them from those they loved, with a white ship melting into the horizon. ...this line gave me absolute chills. Such kindred spirits, both of them fated to be parted from those they love. All I can say is WOW! Vistula

Re: March Babies 2005 - A Mathom Drabble

Hello and a huge thank you from the very pit of my being to all the wonderful ‘Drabble Masters’ and ‘Word Smiths’ who pounded on their keyboards, sweated and toiled to bring forth such wonderful treasures. I cannot wait to scribe all of them into my ‘Samwise Gamgee Travel Journal’ as a tome to savor for years to come. Indeed, with such delicious treats to savor, my 40th birthday has been a gem among many days. And now, since this has been deemed my “Hobbit Birthday” (my dad even made me a Bag End cake), and in a true hobbit fashion – I would like to share with you a drabble mathom. Thank you again for all the kind words and well wishes. It has been a truly remarkable event!! Cheers and may the simple wisdom of Samwise Gamgee live with us all:-) Vistula ~~~ Coming Of Age “Do you feel different Sam?” They’d escaped the revelry for a moment, climbing the dome of Bag End to smoke quietly under spreading boughs. “How so Mister Frodo?” “You’re 33 today. Full ‘growed’ your Gaffer might say.” Frodo grinned. “It’s a significant passage.” Brow creased, Sam mulled the question over before answering. “Well…way I see it, ‘taint rightly the age a hobbit’s at what makes him ‘growed’ or not. There’s some I know ain’t come of age, but got more grasp of responsibility then ones as have.” “I understand what you mean.” Frodo agreed. More than you may realize.

For Vistula! 5 minutes late!

Phew. What a challenging prompt, Vistula! (If you'll see who most of my stories feature, you'll see why.) And because on my time it is 12:05 AM, March 21st, this is a double drabble (I intended it to be a double anyways, though). For me, this month, a late present is a double drabble. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Strength to Save Sam had spent a week wandering the city of Tirion, among magnificent streets and houses, blushing at how elven-folk honored him at every turn. On the last afternoon, he lost his way in a web of narrow alleys, and finally stumbled into a statue-filled courtyard. “Master Hobbit?” He looked about wildly, and saw an elven-woman emerge from an open door. Her face was stern and angular: she had little of the beauty of the silver-haired Lady of Tirion. But there was something so striking, so arresting about her starkness that he found himself speaking. “My lady, I never meant to come here, please forgive me,” he stammered. “Should’ve stayed to the main street—” “You are Frodo’s companion,” she interrupted, studying him. “He spoke of you often, before you came. He says you saved him from a terrible fate.” Caught off guard, he mumbled, “If I’d been stronger, I could’ve saved him for the Shire.” She smiled, and her expression was all at once despair and a thousand reborn hopes. A vague thought took shape. That’s like my smile. Who couldn’t she save? “Let me tell you of a King’s son, and the smith’s daughter who loved him…”
The point was to draw a similarity here. I tried to make the focus on Sam, I really did. It just didn't want to work with me.

Happy early birthday, Meril

Meril said: I want (a) a happy moment between Feanor and Nerdanel Hm. Well, I ... I just can't do it! The angstficcer in me cannot do it! Firstly, Galadriel and Celeborn wouldn't talk to me, and secondly, the staff at the Houses of Healing told me to take two aspirin and go away. That left Fëanor and Nerdanel and a happy moment. I tried really hard—really, I did! But all I could squeeze out for this dysfunctional couple was what came through most strongly considered in the light of one stanza of "Little Gidding" that seemed to fit them. One day, I will learn to write something original and not borrow everyone else's good lines. In any case, what emerged wasn't exactly happy, though perhaps it is in some sense hopeful. Spirit of Fire Where he sought hands to do his will, she sought hearts to know them. Hence at the forge (so halved by absences, Séno couldn't riddle it whole) she works the patient flame anew. Bellows heave, metal flows—liquid lead, burning in the belly, his rages that she couldn't quench. Etch carefully, swallow acid resentment—nevermind the pain. One day she'll vomit wisdom; she's but to sicken of love—or not, it doesn't matter. That's the consubstantial catch that forging teaches: We only live, only suspire Consumed by either fire or fire. Nerdanel pauses, breathes deep, then bends to work again.
So there you go. Happy birthday, Meril—may it be filled with many more drabbles that actually meet your request!

Re: Happy early birthday, Meril

Well, I ... I just can't do it! The angstficcer in me cannot do it! Honestly, I don't give a hoot whether this meets my request or not: it's so amazing that I'm all wide-eyed at the fact that it is my (my own, my love, my preciousss...) present! Hot damn. Wow... Just... wow. Dwim, my wonderful predecessor, I give you a hearty "thank you" from the very depths of my heart, and a huge hug for making my miserable evening better. Pensive!introspective!Nerdanel always makes me happy and intrigued. May I repost in my LJ, please? Allie PS- Out of curiosity, what is the full poem that those two lines are from?

Re: Happy early birthday, Meril

Honestly, I don't give a hoot whether this meets my request or not *wipes sweat from brow* Thanks for the reprieve! The second I saw your request, those two lines from Eliot attached themselves to Nerdanel and Feanor and wouldn't detach; they always blow me away when I read them, so there was no hope of not writing to this request once the stanza got associated with the characters. It was just a matter of whether it would be a happy moment. Dwim, my wonderful predecessor, I give you a hearty "thank you" from the very depths of my heart, and a huge hug for making my miserable evening better. You're very welcome, and of course you may post the drabble to your LJ—it's your birthday present, after all! And if you're cheered by the drabble, your reaction made my evening—or rather, several evenings of wondering how on earth it would all work out! Out of curiosity, what is the full poem that those two lines are from? The two quoted lines are from Little Gidding. It's from Eliot's "Four Quartets".

Thank you RAKSHA for a most excellent second drabble:-) It was like having second breakfast but without calories...truly a birthday treat! I love how you show Gandalf's confidence that the green and growing places of Middle Earth are in good hands with Faramir, Sam and Legolas. So glad you liked it, Vistula. Faramir, Sam and Legolas seem to have a stronger connection with green, growing stuff than the other characters. Aragorn has a direct symbolic link with the White Tree, but hasn't seemed to have as much care for nature in general, except as a source of herbal remedies - not a criticism, the guy's been very, very busy, and is good at everything else. And the 'Stewardship' concept, and its parallel with Gandalf's unsung stewardship of Middle-earth, was too good to pass up...Sam is definitely a Steward too! Marastar, Forodwaith, Tarion, Mysterious Jedi - thanx for your comments. Ithiliel - What a pretty drabble you wrote in LOVE-STRUCK FOOLS. The last sentance is perfect! Forodwaith - mmm, FAINT HOPE is a wonderful double-drabble. Sam's stubborn hope that Frodo will completely recover is very much in character. And Arwen's vision of her and Sam divided from their loved ones by a grey sea into which a white ship sets sail....sniff-sniff. Very nice! Meril - STRENGTH TO SAVE is a great glimpse of an encounter I never thought I'd see - Sam and Nerdanel. Yes, I guessed it was Feanor's long-left wife. Sam's thought "Who couldn't she save?" is a great moment of painful clarity. Lovely works by Vistula and Dwimordene, too; but I've run out of adjectives! RAKSHA THE DEMON

Meril - STRENGTH TO SAVE is a great glimpse of an encounter I never thought I'd see - Sam and Nerdanel. Yes, I guessed it was Feanor's long-left wife. Sam's thought "Who couldn't she save?" is a great moment of painful clarity. Did I ever have a time trying to fit those two together! But in the end, I was very pleased with it, and I'm glad that you like it! Allie

Ithiliel - What a pretty drabble you wrote in LOVE-STRUCK FOOLS. The last sentance is perfect! Thank you! That's what happens when you listen to happy piano waltzes while attempting to write a drabble... -Ithiliel

March 29 -Meril (Allie): I'm incredibly indecisive. I want (a) a happy moment between Feanor and Nerdanel, or (b) anything Houses of Healing, or (c) Galadriel and Celeborn anywhere. If you incorporate all of those (definitely not required!), I'll drop dead from shock. Well I did manage (b), and half of (c). That has to count for something, right? (200 words, to be exact...) The Soul of a Sinda ***** Some would say I spend too much time in these gardens. I have heard the whispers: “Does the city not please the silver-haired one?” Yet I am an Elf, and a Sinda. I find my comfort in growing things, the simple pleasures of the cool earth, the forest's air, and not the stone fortresses of my lady's people. Two voices drift from the herb-patch not far away. One form I recognize, but the other I cannot place. “My lady, beg your pardon, but as I said before, 'tis not proper for you to be here...” The old voice cracks but it does not falter; she insists on detailing every reason Undomiel should leave such simple matters to the ladies of the Houses. Yet she does not seem so offended that she would rid herself of a ready audience for her complaints. Arwen ignores her chatter; over the hedge, I see my granddaughter kneeling. Burrow, deposit, cover. I knew Aragorn wouldsee that the city never lacked for athelas again, but he would not ask his wife to plant it herself! The soul of the Sindar still dwells in her, whatever choice she has made. She will make a fine queen. ***** Marta

*gasp* Marta, this is wonderful! This is exactly how I see Celeborn: very, very tied to all things nature, and I think that he would have passed on that knowledge and heritage to his grandchildren. It also makes me think: he knows that the elves are leaving M-e, and he wants to give as much knowledge to the rising mortal race to help Arda grow and prosper. His granddaughter would have benefited from all his wisdom, and now she can pass on that wisdom to her people. Thank you so much! May I repost in my LJ, please? Allie

Re: For Vistula! 5 minutes late!

Hi Allie! I responded to this over on HA but wanted to take a second to thank you once again. You did a splendid job on meeting my prompt! I am extremely impressed. I just love Sam's thought That's like my smile. Who couldn't she save? It is my firm belief that he'd be able to see a kindred spirit such as this. And would love to hear her tale. Thank you again! Cheers, Vistula

Re: For Vistula! 5 minutes late!

Aww, I'm so glad that you like it, Vistula! Allie

Happy Birthday, Allie!

“Begging your pardon. Excuse me. Just passing through. Thank you.” Someone was being a nuisance again. Feänor, not known for his great patience, turned back to investigate the commotion. Upon discovering its source, he heaved a great sigh. It seemed he would never allowed to finish his work, at this rate. “Yes, Olórin? What now?” “The Lady Nienna requests your presence immediately, my Lord. It seems the Lady Nerdanel is about to deliver…” Olórin never got to deliver the rest of the message, as Feänor left in such a hurry so as to leave a smoke trail in his wake. *** So I only managed Feänor and Nerdanel... I briefly considered having Artanis there in stead of Nienna... but I'm not sure if that would've really made Feänor any happier... ;) Anyways... Hippo birdies two ewe ;) E

Re: Happy Birthday, Allie!

SQUEEEE! I appreciate this so much, not only because it has my fave characters, but also because I know you're not huge on writing! So that makes this drabble especially sweet. Yay, I love it! Thank you, thank you! The usual question: may I repost in my LJ, please? Allie

Re: Happy Birthday, Tárion Anaróre!

A/N: This banks on the assumption that Glorfindel of Gondolin and Glorfindel of Rivendell are one and the same. “ELLADAN! ELROHIR!” The yell heard in all of Rivendell reminded Glorfindel of one of Idril’s stories. It had been a memory of a childhood on Aman. She’d witnessed a prank Amrod and Amras had played. He imagined that Feänor’s yell had sounded similar to Elrond’s. He wondered if Elrond knew this and if he did, how he felt about that. But his thoughts were interrupted by the very set of twins skidding to a stop in front of him. “Oh Glorfindel, please promise you’ll tell no one you’ve seen us. It was just a prank, surely you can appreciate that!”

Re: Happy Birthday, Tárion Anaróre!

Thank you, Eärengil!! Elladan & Elrohir AND Amrod & Amras! Squee!! Double the fun! And Glorfindel as a bonus! You've made me a very happy girl! So, I wonder what the twins did this time...hehe I love it! -Tárion

Happy Birthday, Forodwaith!

“Ada?” “Yes, tinu?” “Why do the smelly visitors have broken ears?” “Broken ears, tinu?” Elrond wisely decided to leave the smelly bit alone for now. Trust children to be honest though! “Yes, they’re all round, and they jump all scared when you say hello.” “Well, tinu, that’s because they are the other children of The One.” “Other children, Ada?” “Yes. Remember when we read about the Edain? Eru wanted them to be different, so he gave them other ears.” “Ooooooooooh!” Her questions answered, his tinu went back to play. Elrond briefly wondered for how long answers like this would satisfy. ***** A young Arwen being curious. Tinu means "little star".

Re: Happy Birthday, Forodwaith!

“Why do the smelly visitors have broken ears?” Oh, from the bottom of my little daycare teacher heart, this is wonderful! . I swear, the perfectly honest, yet often-said-at-highly-inappropriate-times things they'll pop off with.... Very nicely done, Eärengil!

Happy Birthday, ObsidianJ

Gandalf had warned him, and he had in turn tried to warn Boromir. “Whatever you do, do NOT get drawn into a drinking contest with the hobbits!” Boromir had just looked at him and laughed. Aragorn didn’t think Boromir would still be laughing in the morning. Slumped over the table, at least 10 tankards in front of him, he’d apparently lost the battle. And the hobbits had been nowhere near even tipsy. “Merry, do you suppose the big folk are all like this? Out cold from a few ales, we have work to do!” Aragorn just laughed and walked away.

Happy Birthday, Obsidianj!

Happy birthday, dear Chris! Thank you again for your awesome efforts betaing my endless story of "Lothíriel"! I wish you a very happy birthday, health, happiness and good luck at the corners of life! *HUGS* Yours JunoMagic And here's your drabble, hobbits and Aragorn, as you requested:
~~~* ~~~
Quantum Physics It is not very likely that a ranger and four hobbits will come knocking on your door. But as far as electrons are concerned, likely is all you are going to get in this world. Imagine them in front of your door! Strider – nobly dishevelled, looking forward to a pint. Four hobbits – cheerfully hungry. Frodo, thoughtful. Sam, rather shy. Pippin, with a birthday-trick in his pocket. Merry, ready to give you a song. It is not very likely that they are outside right now. But if someone knocks on your door in a minute, are you going to open it?
~~~*~~~
I hope you like it! ~ JM

Re: March Babies 2005 -March 23 - Tárion Anaróre

March 23 - Tárion Anaróre: I'd also take anything with Elladan & Elrohir if you don't want to do kinslayers (I love them to death). (Just no slash please!) I aim to please and this one was a lot of fun to do! Because you asked for the twins, you get a double! Happy birthday! Orcs Enough Orcs seethed under the mountains, from Gundabad to Redhorn. None could tell the time the surge would be loosed, seeking to overwhelm the western lands. For five hundred years and ten Elrohir had fought to stem the flood. Now at the moment the tide would surely crest… Aragorn has need of his kindred. Could the addition of one warrior, however skilled, make a difference? Perhaps. Less than a score of riders gathered here; a few more waited towards Tharbad. He fingered the razor edge of his blade and sheathed it. Elladan could stay and fight without him. His place was south. Elladan saw how carefully Halbarad guarded the staff, sable banner tightly wound and tied. It hurt that his sister had not asked him to carry it, thinking his rage focused only on the orcs of the mountains. If proud Aragorn called for aid, the need was dire. And surely Arwen deserved the happiness that would come with victory. There would be orcs enough in Rohan and Gondor. Elrohir could stay and fight here. Packs shoulder-slung, the brothers met and inspected each other, brows raised. “I could not let Estel fight alone.” “Nor I. Do we not share a father?” Have a hundred more happy birthdays! Gwynnyd

Oh, I like this! I've often wondered why Halbarad carried Arwen's banner, not one of her brothers. I like the way both twins are prepared to fight alone, yet inevitably think alike and choose alike. Nice work! Jay

Squee!!! And squee! again, since it was a double I love it! And such an interesting part of canon too...heaven knows I've contemplated that corner enough for an age! I like your take on it. Very nice job! *happy dance* Thanks so much, Gwynnyd! -Tárion

Thank you, Earengil! I love reading about Arwen's relationship with her father, and the nickname was a lovely touch. Also, I know it wasn't meant for me but I'm going to claim "sharesies" in Marta's beautiful Celeborn drabble since it includes his granddaughter.

Also, I know it wasn't meant for me but I'm going to claim "sharesies" in Marta's beautiful Celeborn drabble since it includes his granddaughter. *generously extends drabble* I'd be happy to share with you, Forodwaith: Marta's beautiful, beautiful present is too good to keep to myself! (And, I might add, I was just working on your drabble!) Allie

Earengil, I loved your Olorin-summons-Feanor drabble, and the drabble with little Arwen asking Elrond why the smelly visitors have broken broken ears is just adorable, yet credible at the same time. But I wish you'd put titles on them! Juno - QUANTUM PHYSICS is charming. Makes me want to run to the door and open it, even if the chances of Strider and co. riding the elevator to my floor are rather dim.... Gwynnyd - great job on ORCS ENOUGH - has a wonderful, mixed Elves/Dunedain feel to it, and is very Tolkienish. RAKSHA

*gasp* Marta, this is wonderful! This is exactly how I see Celeborn: very, very tied to all things nature, and I think that he would have passed on that knowledge and heritage to his grandchildren. Oh yes. I can't help but think that Celeborn would have seen Arwen and the Twins growing up in a predominantly Noldor world. Thinking how Luthien and Thingol and so many of the great Sindar are dead. Seeing his grandchildren as the last real "princes" of the Sindarin line (with Legolas, of course), and understanding that they are very much in danger of growing up with a completely Noldorin frame of mind. Maybe the Twins got less of his tutelage but Arwen, with all the time she spent in Lothlorien, would have *had* to have been exposed to Celeborn's ideas. She either would have rejected them or accepted them, but she would have at least beem exposed. It also makes me think: he knows that the elves are leaving M-e, and he wants to give as much knowledge to the rising mortal race to help Arda grow and prosper. His granddaughter would have benefited from all his wisdom, and now she can pass on that wisdom to her people. Yes, I think that would have been the case. Earmire writes a fascinating story on a similar premise, where Eldarion studies under Celeborn for a while. But the name escapes me. "Light LIngering" or something like that. Thank you so much! May I repost in my LJ, please? Of course. Marta

Also, I know it wasn't meant for me but I'm going to claim "sharesies" in Marta's beautiful Celeborn drabble since it includes his granddaughter. Since Allie's willing to share, I'm not going to stand in the way. ;) Actually, your request spawned a nuzgul that refuses to be defanged in anything less than a vignette, and I'm working on it. It's essentially Arwen's answer to the question "Eowyn: Heroine or Deserter". But I don't want to rush it, and couldn't get it done by your birthday. You'll certainly be credited as the inspiration if I ever do get it to cooperate. Marta

Re: Happy Birthday, Obsidianj!

Quantum Physics ... I hope you like it! I hope she does, but *I* certainly do! This was wonderful, and I am definitely opening the door if anyone kocks! Gwynnyd

For Meril

March 29 - Meril (Allie): I'm incredibly indecisive. I want (a) a happy moment between Feanor and Nerdanel,... Well, since you ok'd my angst... here you go. Happy (double) Belated!
Truth “Is there truth in the whisperings I hear? They say you murdered your mother.” A powerful fury flashed through his eyes and Nerdanel saw his jaw clench even tighter. For a moment she feared to breathe until she saw the anger replaced by a deep sorrow. He held her gaze but his response was barely audible. “Do you believe them to be true?” Nerdanel’s heart filled with compassion, but it was not enough to overcome her disquiet. How to answer such a question of someone she barely knew? She focused her eyes on a point in the distance so she no longer had to bear the intensity of his gaze. It was wreaking havoc on her nerves, even if there was something about it that thrilled her. “People who are capable of kin slaying are said to have no fea,” she mused to herself. Turning her attention back to him, she continued. “But yours burns stronger than most.” She watched his face, intent on catching any reaction to what she had said. His eyes no longer gave away what he was feeling as he waited silently to hear her judgment. “No, Curufinwe. I do not believe any of the whispers.”

For Vistula

March 20 - Vistula the Dunedain: My birthday (the BIG 40) is March 20th and I would LOVE drabbles that have YOUR favorite character somehow interacting with MY favorite character. For those few of you who haven't already guessed who THAT may be, the answer is, of course, Sam. Anytime, any place, any situation is great! (And I don't mind slash either, if you are so inclined.) Only a little late. Happy (slightly) belated! Of Elves and Horses “He is quite fond of you. Did you know?” Samwise jumped when he heard the sound of the crystal clear voice speaking behind him. It was most unnatural the way the elf could appear behind you without your knowledge. “Begging your pardon, Mister Legolas, but I can’t say as if I understand.” “Bill,” the elf said with laughter in his eyes. He rubbed the horse’s nose, eliciting a happy sounding whinney from the animal. “He has never had a kinder master.” Sam was glad for the dark. It would not do to blush in front of one of the Firstborn.

For Khazar-Khum

March 6 - Khazar-Khum: For drabbles--let's see the bad guys in action, shall we? I wrote Evil for you, and it wasn't humor. Well, at least it wasn't supposed to be funny... Happy Belated!!! Ash Nazg I am beautiful. I need no force. Those Firstborn star-worshippers see my fair façade and welcome my counsel; my lore; my knowledge. I gift to them secrets that only a Maia of Aulë would know and they drink up my teaching with unquenchable thirst. “Rings of Power,” they call their creation. An accurate description; but the power will be all mine. I am cunning. Little do they know of my true nature. I will dominate them as no one else has done before. Even my Master was not capable of this kind of supremacy. Ash nazg… Know me. Fear me.

For Vistula

March 20 - Vistula the Dunedain: My birthday (the BIG 40) is March 20th and I would LOVE drabbles that have YOUR favorite character somehow interacting with MY favorite character. For those few of you who haven't already guessed who THAT may be, the answer is, of course, Sam. -------------------- “What do you think, Sam!” Pippin asked, arms spread wide, showing off the black coat embroidered with the White Tree. Sam shook his head. “It’s amazing, Mister Pippin, how much you’ve changed.” Pippin grinned, his youthful exuberance an odd contrast to the trapping of a soldier. Sam smiled as he watched him bound over to Frodo. Pippin had seen many horrible things, had been burdened with responsibilities no other lad in his tweens could imagine.Yet he could still joke and laugh, trying to get Frodo to laugh with him. It made Sam glad to see that some things hadn’t changed.

For Khazar-Khum

March 6 - Khazar-Khum: For drabbles--let's see the bad guys in action, shall we? -------------------- Bill Ferny leaned on his fence, puffing his pipe. His southern visitor had been vague about his purposes, only that his employer would pay well for information. That suited Ferny just fine. Longshanks was coming up the road, followed by those strange hobbits. He’d been told to watch out for a ‘Baggins’. The youngest one--the one that woudn’t shut up--had been going on about a Baggins at the Pony. Ferny pulled out his pipe and spat. Strider always had an air about him, like he was better than everyone else, all high and mighty. “Morning, Longshanks!”, Ferny sneered.

For Forodwaith

March 31 - Forodwaith: I'd love drabbles about Arwen (a criminally underwritten character IMO), especially if they focus on a part of her life other than her relationship with Aragorn. If you're an Arwen-hater, write me a drabble about Sam and his garden and I'll be just as happy. Hooray! I'm early! Happy Birthday. It was supposed to be more about Arwen, but someone (ahem ahem) is a spotlight hog. A Welcome Visitor The tall stranger approached the innermost circle of the city. His clothing was exotic and not recognizable to the people of Minas Tirith. He wore a cloak about his shoulders, its hood pulled up over his head, increasing the mysterious aura surrounding him. Unexpected to those that watched, the Queen ran towards him and embraced him. “I wondered when you would come.” She said as he released her. “I heard of the shipwreck and feared the worst.” The man threw down his hood exposing raven hair and bright gray eyes, intense as the night’s first star. “Worry not, muinthel nín.”
muinthel nín: my sister

New thread!!

re: Arandil's "Truth" I already told you in the insta-drabbling, but THANK YOU, Arandil! I love it! Angsty Feanor and Nerdanel is always, always good stuff! And this is post #50! Please continue in Part 6. Allie

Happy very late birthday, Khazar-Khum!

Quote: March 6 - Khazar-Khum: For drabbles--let's see the bad guys in action, shall we? Happy birthday and this is a sneak preview for the sequel to my story "The Tides of Time and the Bones of the Earth"! Yours JunoMagic
~~~*~~~
The time has come. An icy touch of darkness, he reaches out – and with a soft sigh the Doors of the Night open. Where his breath touches the golden ground of Aman, all life withers. Unseen, unsubstantial, sustained by the endless power of the Void, he creeps up on them in their silken palaces and silver domes. Valar… your time has come. This time, no one will aid your children. They will die with your names upon their lips. But there will be no summons to lead them to the Halls of Rebirth. This time, forever means eternity. This time.

Re: Happy Birthday, ObsidianJ

Poor Boromir. I think he probably learned a lesson. I remember morning afters Thank you so much for writing, Chris

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum