Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: March 2005 Birthdays - 4

March 2005 Birthdays - 4

Post all new drabbles and requests here, please!

March 3 - Celandine Brandybuck: I'd still appreciate drabbles about any of the Steward's family. Time, place, topic up to the author's discretion!

March 6 - Agape4Gondor: Is there a chance I might find a Boromir drabble here for me?

March 6 - Khazar-Khum: For drabbles--let's see the bad guys in action, shall we?

March 7 - Narwen Almiriel: Firstly, sorry for such short notice! My birthday is on the 7th of March. I only joined HASA a few days ago, and was so thrilled to find that I could request a birthday drabble. And I can’t even seem to make up my mind…Let’s see…Could I have a drabble about either a). Celeborn and Galadriel being reunited in Aman, or b). Finwë and either one of his wives (or both, even…) or c). Melian and Elwë. Please? Pretty please?

March 11 - Erin (Sangfroid101): Something involving the Teleri- anything. It can be a teleri reference by some LOTR characters, or a drabble at sea, wherever, whenever. I'm not picky. I just like the teleri. :-)

March 14 - Elena Tiriel: I'd like a drabble about one or more male character(s) being heroic (however you wish to define that term -- it's not limited to deeds in battle...). My favorite races are Elves (not Kinslayers) and Rohirrim... but Faramir will do in a pinch. Or even Gimli. (Especially if he's with Legolas...) And I *love* it when someone picks out an obscure corner of canon to write about... but that's not a requirement, just icing on the (many-candled) birthday cake...

March 20 - Vistula the Dunedain: My birthday (the BIG 40) is March 20th and I would LOVE drabbles that have YOUR favorite character somehow interacting with MY favorite character. For those few of you who haven't already guessed who THAT may be, the answer is, of course, Sam.

Anytime, any place, any situation is great! (And I don't mind slash either, if you are so inclined.)

March 23 - Tárion Anaróre: I would reeeeeeeeeeeally love something with the sons of Feanor. Especially the younger ones, if you're up to it! I'd also take anything with Elladan & Elrohir if you don't want to do kinslayers (I love them to death). (Just no slash please!)

March 24 - Obsidianj (Chris): I would like something with Aragorn(Strider) and the hobbits or Aragorn and Boromir.

March 29 - Meril (Allie): I'm incredibly indecisive. I want (a) a happy moment between Feanor and Nerdanel, or (b) anything Houses of Healing, or (c) Galadriel and Celeborn anywhere. If you incorporate all of those (definitely not required!), I'll drop dead from shock.

March 31 - Forodwaith: I'd love drabbles about Arwen (a criminally underwritten character IMO), especially if they focus on a part of her life other than her relationship with Aragorn. If you're an Arwen-hater, write me a drabble about Sam and his garden and I'll be just as happy.

Re: Heroes for Elena Tiriel

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Elena Tiriel! Three heroes for the price of one, and a possible bending of canon, depending on how you look at it - here's a mega-drabble, 502 words as counted by MS Works, and I can't figure out where to cut the two words... Thanx to Branwyn for helping with the middle paragraphs, and title inspiration! And Aeneid deserves credit for sparking the idea that Beregond and Iorlas survived Osgiliath with the brothers Mir. Raksha The Demon THE BROTHERHOOD OF HEROES He falls as the bridge founders beneath him. The Anduin seizes him and pulls him down into her chill embrace. He struggles in the dark waters, now filled with wreckage and the bodies of men and orcs. Panicked, he wonders if his brother lives. He has never been a strong swimmer. Now, encumbered with chain mail and boots, it is harder than ever. His leg, wounded in the long day’s battle, pains him; he cannot use it properly. He flails about, trying to rise to the distant surface. Too slow, too slow; and he is losing his breath! Suddenly a strong hand grabs him by the collar, and tugs him upwards, toward the light. Oh, he can see it; he is almost there! And he faints from lack of breath. There is a pushing and shoving, and then he is heaving out river-water as he lies chilled and weak on the shore. He looks up and around him. Bodies litter the Anduin’s banks. Yet there are three who speak, and live: his brother Beregond, the Captain-General, and the Captain-General’s younger brother, the Lord Faramir. It is Captain-General Boromir who leans over Iorlas now, assuring him of safety. The others approach him; they are all that remains of the company that held the bridge against the foe for so many long and bloody hours. Iorlas assumes that it was the Lord Boromir who saved him from drowning. He tries to thank him, but spews out more water than words. He does not see the Lord Boromir again; for the Steward’s heir is busy, and then he is sent North. Iorlas vows to thank him when he returns from his mysterious errand. Meanwhile, he toasts the Captain-General’s bravery in a string of taverns, to all who will hear him. But the Tower of Guard looks northward in vain for her favorite son’s return. After many months have passed, and all has changed, Iorlas finally learns the truth. “Lord Faramir saved you, brother“ Beregond explains to Iorlas, when they speak in the Houses of Healing. “He brought you out of the water and back to me. But he would not let me dim his brother‘s glory. How could I not fight to save him from the fire?” Beregond had seen that it was Faramir who pulled Iorlas from the depths of the Anduin and bore him to the bank, then pummeled forth the breath that had been stilled. The Lord Faramir had refused to claim the deed that had been gifted to his brother, even though Iorlas had praised the wrong man. When Faramir, for whom Beregond has lost his rank and honor, awakens from his fever, he will not accept Iorlas’ stammered thanks. But later, on the night after the King’s wondrous return, the three men seek a quiet corner of a tavern as the entire city revels in the joy of victorious peace. “To my brother” Faramir proposes, lifting his tankard in a toast, as he smiles at Iorlas. “And to yours!”

The Brotherhood of Heroes Oh. My. Goodness! Such an embarrassment of heroic riches! Raksha, this is delightful! I love your way of interweaving the stories, and the ending is so perfect! Thank you! - Barbara

Re: For Forodwaith March 31

“Why would Arathorn choose that name for his son?” she queries. Ha! Diabolically clever, Gwynydd.

Another (late) one for Khazar

...because the Nazgul aren't the only mounted bad guys out there. Orc's Best Friend The Orcs hate the stars, but their mounts do not. The Wargs watch for the Hunter and the Great Wolf passing overhead; they sing to them and to the waning Moon in voices as cold as their pale eyes. The Orcs shiver and slacken in their drinking. Vark walks over to kick his steed in her slatted ribs; Warg and rider snarl at each other. "Shut up that yowling! D'you want those juicy little pullets to know we're coming?" She falls silent, but her eyes shine brighter corpse-green as she promises herself One day my cubs will feed on Orc-flesh.

Thanx, Barbara; I'm so glad you liked it. I was worried that it sagged in the middle. The last two paragraphs wrote themselves. Hope you've had a great birthday! RAKSHA

Re: Another (late) one for Khazar

Forodwaith, nice work on this unconventional drabble from the she-warg's POV! RAKSHA THE DEMON, charter member of MESPCW (Middle-earth Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Wargs)

Re: For Forodwaith March 31

Ha! Diabolically clever, Gwynydd. Thank you! It was a lot of fun to write. Gwynnyd

For Elena Tiriel - March 14

Ha! Ha! 20 minutes left in March 14th, so I'm on time! Male character: check. Heroism: check. Elven non-Kinslayer: check. Obscure: check. This is a rather stark drabble compared to what you’ve been receiving, but still, it’s accompanied by many happy, happy birthday wishes! Happy birthday, Barbara! Forsaken Kin The wastes of Araman, icy slopes glittering in our torchlight, are hushed as we forge back. I glance at my wife, breath creating a chilly cloud before her face. Silver-grey braids of hair are bound tightly about her head, and her eyes are grim and distant. Kin for kin. An implacable threat. Blood for blood. She would have gone after them, with oath of revenge unbreakable. I pull the cloak tighter, and force my feet to move faster across the jagged ice. Vengeance will do no good, love. I will not have blood on your hands. Not like my brothers.
And for your golden researcher heart, a corresponding canon quote, properly linked:
But in that hour Finarfin forsook the march, and turned back, being filled with grief… ~The Silmarillion (Of the Flight of the Noldor)

Re: For Elena Tiriel - March 14

Forsaken Kin Oh, Meril, this is terrific! Such a perfect moment to pick! What an incredibly fierce display of loyalty, love, and courage... I love it! And a *linked* quote! Squeeeeee! My golden researcher heart heartily thanks yours! - Barbara, who has had many truly wonderful gifts on her birthday, thanks to all her generous HASA friends... P.S. In my time zone, you have three additional hours!

Re: For Elena Tiriel - March 14

Whee! I'm so glad you like it! And I had a feeling that that link would elicit a "Squeeeeee!" Huzzah! All that matters is I was on time! Since I'm (attempting) drabbling for everyone this month, yours is the first one that's totally on time. Allie

Belated for Erin - March 11 (2 drabbles!)

Phew, I felt quite abashed after Forodwaith's present to you, but I got over it! So here is a [edit: drabble and a] drabble-and-three-tenths for you, Erin! Happy birthday! The Noble Task I leap lightly onto the railing, breathing deep as the salt-tanged breeze sweeps my face. Home; this is truly home. More of my life has been spent on water than on dry land. One of Uinen’s maidens, with flowing seawater hair, my father teased me as a child. It has served me well: a first-rate captain, and holder of my own ship. And no mere fishing vessel. The finest ship for the finest task, Lord Olue told me. “Captain! The Culúrien is gaining on us!” A fierce grin. “Let’s not have a crew of Noldor beating us! To the sails!” Come Home Another oar-stroke, driven by weary and sun-burnt arms. Another sunrise, filtered through the mists, and illuminating the water in palest gold. Another day, spent trying to reach what seems unreachable. “Get you moving!” I heard a far-off shout, and looked up hopefully. Another illusion? Endless hours on this tiny craft, trapped by haze and eternally eddying tides, can deceive the senses. “We have a homecomer!” Another call! And no fantasy: a ship, prowed with a swan’s head, glided towards me. A woman, face framed by silver braids entwined with white feathers, and with a smile as wide as the seas, appeared at the rail and shouted something. “Are you…? Is this…?” My voice is hoarse from salt spray. “You are home, cousin,” she laughed, throwing down the rope ladder. “Come.”

Belated for Khazar - March 6 (double drabble)

Since I'm late, I present a precisely double drabble! Happy birthday, Khazar! Allie Once Once, he was a man. Once, he sat in the court of kings, surrounded by the stark glory of first his great-aunt’s court, then the more lavish one of his father. Would you care for a sweetmeat, little prince? the noble ladies would laugh. Once, he was married to a beautiful woman, who looked on him with such love and devotion that he wanted to protect her forever. I will always love you, she promised, as he took her into his arms. Once, he sailed to Endórë in a fine vessel. The rude folk on the other shore gaped at him and his crew, overwhelmed by the splendor of far-off Númenórë. He is a god! they cried in rough and unfamiliar tongues. Once, he met a man in the shadows of the city-on-the-far-shores, who promised him a mystic ring and a wealth of riches. Your sons will be Kings of this land, the man vowed, in a voice the essence of truth. Once, he was a man. But years of trickery and deceit turned him into less-than-a-man: something small and shriveled and mean. And as he raises his mace against the slender warrior, proclaiming his supremacy and sovereignty… He falls.
See footnote #12 at this page for context.

Re: Birthdays

Ah, EdorasLass, this is just delightful! And how kind Éomer is to his little sister -- so heroic! Puts a new spin on that old phrase: "A man's gotta do what he's gotta do..." *very big smile* Thanks! I think everyone needs a big brother like Éomer. And I just want to say that everyone's contributions here are making me very sad my birthday isn't until November! If I had only joined a couple months earlier!!!

Re: Belated for Khazar - March 6 (double drabble)

Warning: Be wear of Ringbearers giving freebies, especially if they're tall, dark, and alluring...I can just see Sauron saying softly, "come weet me to ze tower". Seriously, a fine drabble, as mysterious and seductive as Sauron's voice (do you think he was Saruman's elocution coach?) RAKSHA THE DEMON

And I just want to say that everyone's contributions here are making me very sad my birthday isn't until November! One of the things that makes this forum such a truly brilliant idea is that we can enjoy all the terrific drabbles even when they're not for our own birthday! - Barbara

One of the things that makes this forum such a truly brilliant idea is that we can enjoy all the terrific drabbles even when they're not for our own birthday! True enough. And it does give me time to think up fiendishly bizarre requests!

lol, Raksha! I had this picture of a (rather shady-looking) guy offfering ring & riches, and that made me wonder, If the dude is so shady, why would anyone accept it? Thanks for the compliment! Allie

lol, Raksha! I had this picture of a (rather shady-looking) guy offfering ring & riches, and that made me wonder, If the dude is so shady, why would anyone accept it? Ah, but he was Annatar, remember, the fair-seeming Lord of Gifts, when he was doling out Rings and expertise in their making - he fooled the Elves, after all, who are generally held to be more perceptive than mere mortals!

Good point, Az. Maybe he didn't think that a greedy mortal was worth such effort. Allie

Re: Happy Birthday Elena (from previous thread...)

He Stands Not Alone Ah, thank you so much, Azalais! This is a joy! Thank you again! And I'm glad you pointed me back on the H-A list to the drabble you wrote yourself about this moment way back last year... because when I went back and looked at it I realised I had seen it before. You managed to get the whole "Legolas' emotional epiphany" thing in, which I just couldn't in the space - that's why I chose the title I did, from Legolas' line to Eomer in "The Riders of Rohan" when Eomer is trying to threaten Gimli; I wanted to allude forward to the great friendship that will grow between them, but couldn't make it fit either words-wise or content-wise in the drabble! And your prompt about heroism gave mine the spin it took - it's always seemed to me that Legolas must have been having a horrible time in the dark of Moria, and when Gandalf shouted that it was their last chance to get out, to go back for Gimli took true courage... [Legolas fangurl moment, 'scuse me!] Isn't it great though that the same tiny canonical moment can inspire two such totally different drabbles? Cheers, Az

Re: Agape's drabble for Vistula

In regards to Agape4Gondor's drabble for Vistula (message # 39094). MWA HA HA HA HA!!! So you've joined the madness, eh, Agape? I'm glad ('cause it's so much fun, as I've so recently discovered m'self!)! Sam is so completely, perfectly Sam in your drabble: there's no other way to describe him. You've got his loyalty to Frodo, his slightly suspcious nature, and his hobbitness (that Gaffer's-saying he quotes!) all rolled into 100 words. Well done! Allie PS- I will be getting a drabble to you, eventually (And all the rest of the March babies)!

Re: Happy Birthday Elena (from previous thread...)

You managed to get the whole "Legolas' emotional epiphany" thing in, which I just couldn't in the space - that's why I chose the title I did, from Legolas' line to Eomer in "The Riders of Rohan" when Eomer is trying to threaten Gimli; I wanted to allude forward to the great friendship that will grow between them, but couldn't make it fit either words-wise or content-wise in the drabble! "He stands not alone!" is one of my favorite lines from either book or movie... I just *knew* as soon as I saw the title that I was going to love the drabble... And your prompt about heroism gave mine the spin it took - it's always seemed to me that Legolas must have been having a horrible time in the dark of Moria, and when Gandalf shouted that it was their last chance to get out, to go back for Gimli took true courage... Oh, absolutely! Have you read Lamiel's In the Deep Places? It's an excellent story that examines Legolas and Gimli's feelings in Moria and beyond... very nicely written! [Legolas fangurl moment, 'scuse me!] Mind if I join you? *vbg* Isn't it great though that the same tiny canonical moment can inspire two such totally different drabbles? I think that the depth of Tolkien's writings allows that... I am truly grateful for the gift he has given to us! - Barbara

Belated Birthday Drabble for Cel

One for Cel: * looks immensely pleased * I did it! I finally kicked my drabbling muse in to shape, and here we have the results. A wonderful (no.. I’m not conceited* birthday drabble for Cel! It’s a bit under a drabble and a half. Happy belated birthday, Cel! Here’s a fic with little Boromir and Faramir for you. Faramir tugged plaintively on his older brother’s arm. “C’mon, Boromir! We’re going to play Caravan. I’ll be the lead wagon.” Boromir rolled his eyes and cast a longing glance outside. His friends were hacking away at each other with wooden swords, all loud shouts and exaggerated strokes. He looked back at Faramir. “Are you sure you don’t want to play outside? Faramir gave Boromir an appraising look, “Mother said you have to play with me. ‘Sides, you know I’m not allowed to play with swords. Please?” Faramir shook free of his brother’s grasp and began galloping about the room. “Clop, clop! Clop, clop! Clop, clop! Boromir!!” Boromir allowed a smile to creep on his face. He fell in to step beside his brother. “Clop, clop! Clop, clop!” The next time Boromir passed the window, he didn’t even glance outside.

Re: Belated Birthday Drabble for Cel

Very cute drabble-and-a-half! How old are the kids? They would have been the cutest things, running about the Steward's residence or the White Tower.... RAKSHA THE DEMON

Re: March 2005 Vistula, March 20

March 20 - Vistula the Dunedain: My birthday (the BIG 40) is March 20th and I would LOVE drabbles that have YOUR favorite character somehow interacting with MY favorite character. For those few of you who haven't already guessed who THAT may be, the answer is, of course, Sam. and also because it was working on her drabble that got me thinking .... Forodwaith can share it. Happy Birthday, Vistula, may you too surpass the Old Took! “A Nice Pickle…” Sam just wanted to be doing something, even when Master Elrond ordered him from Frodo’s chamber. “To give him a taste of home,” Sam told the maiden he found in the pantry. “If you can spare the spices.” The elf gathered them: mustard-seed, almonds, vinegar, cinnamon, ginger, raisins, honey. Sam found she could grind and taste - and laugh - as easy as any Hobbit lass. The covered crock was placed on a shelf. “For when he wakes.” A tear trickled down Sam’s cheek. “I’m sorry, I don’t even know your name. “I am Arwen, Samwise. Aragorn told me all about you.” Gwynnyd

Happy early birthday Allie! - March 29

This is early, I know, but I wrote it and then couldn't wait to post it here. It's not very happy... Hope you have a great birthday! Hugs, Narwen ~ ~ ~ Artanis Artanis. That was once her name… But I called her Galadriel, and willingly she accepted it. Yet today she is leaving me. She will sail to Aman. To her home. Almost three ages of this world we have been together. I have stayed by her side. But now, she must go, yet I cannot leave my beloved Endor behind. I cannot sail yet… Perhaps I will never see her again. Perhaps Anor will never shine for me again. Perhaps I will never hear the birdsong, or feel the grass beneath my feet again. Perhaps I will never be whole again. ~ ~ ~

Re: Happy early birthday Allie! - March 29

SQUEEEE!!! Oh, my, Narwen, thank you thank you! Yours is my first drabble-present that focuses solely on Celeborn and Galadriel! I love it, thank you! May I repost it in my LJ, please? Allie PS- Seriously, could my day get any better?!
  • Someone anonymously gifted me with a 6-months'-paid for my LJ last night!
  • I spent 3 hours today instant drabbling with Juno, AranelTook, Elvenesse, Earengil, Narwen Almiriel, Gwynnyd, and Arandil!
  • Narwen just gave me a b-day drabble!
PS #2- Your drabble is on the way, Narwen!

A mega-drabble for Vistula

March 20 - Vistula the Dunedain: My birthday (the BIG 40) is March 20th and I would LOVE drabbles that have YOUR favorite character somehow interacting with MY favorite character. For those few of you who haven't already guessed who THAT may be, the answer is, of course, Sam. I've never written Sam; and he's the farthest hobbit from my experience. But the Muse spoke; and here is my 400-word (as counted by MS Works) answer: Have a great Birthday, Vistula! Roots And Branches The four hobbits sat by the new White Tree. The afternoon sun was bright, the air cleansed by a light breeze drifting down the mountain’s shoulder. The hobbits chattered merrily among themselves. Faramir was about to hail them when he heard his own name arise in their conversation. “You’ve told me about Boromir, how you laid him to rest in the elven-boat” Frodo said; “But what happened to Captain Faramir’s father, the Lord Denethor?” Pippin’s usually cheery voice quieted as he answered. Standing inside the White Tower‘s entrance, Faramir clenched his fists. He should be accustomed to the tale by now, and to the exclamations, the sympathy, that inevitably followed. Yet the thought of seeing pity in the eyes of Frodo and Samwise was suddenly as painful as an arrow. His brother had tried to kill the Ringbearer. Their father had succumbed to despair and huddled in the White Tower while the City burned and its people needed their Steward, and then…It still hurt to think on it, so he stopped. But as tainted as he was by the madness of his brother and father, was he fit to join the company of heroes before him? Was he fit to Steward the realm of this new-found White Tree and its new-made King? “Poor Mister Pippin, you had a dreadful time of it” Samwise replied. “But you were brave. I’m sure that Boromir would have been proud of you. As for the Lord Denethor…” The hobbit paused, then cupped some soil from the Tree’s bed in his hand. “A tree is more than its roots, you know. A proper tree comes from the right soil, and sunshine and rain, as well as strong roots. And if some nasty blight damages roots that were once good, young trees can be uprooted and planted in new soil, like this ’un here.” He poured the dirt from his hand back onto the ground, then patted it down, and looked up at the White Tree. Faramir remembered the weariness on his father’s harsh face when last they spoke. He thought of the forests of Ithilien, the land that was now his princedom. Squaring his shoulders, he strode out to meet his four small friends. Samwise looked up as Faramir approached, and spoke again: “Quality can’t be hidden, not in trees, nor in men.” “Nor in hobbits, Master Samwise” Faramir answered warmly as he joined them.

Re: A mega-drabble for Vistula

I've never written Sam; and he's the farthest hobbit from my experience. I think that's a dead-on portrayal of Sam, Raksha. How very like Sam to use botanical metaphors to try and ease someone's fears. And I found it very realistic that Faramir might be concerned as to his own mental stability, in light of his brother's and father's actions. Very nice, very touching.

Roots and Branches Squeeeeee....squeeee....squeeeeee....squeeeeee.... That was a quadruple squeeee for a quadruple drabble. Thank you so much RAKSHA!! I think you did a marvelous turn with Sam...it's so in character for him to compare a situation to something green and growing. I love the image of him pouring the dirt through his hands and patting it down. I love the dual lines at the end about quality and how it can't be hidden. That truly fits both Sam and Faramir. Thank you so much for the lovely gift! Cheers, Vistula

Re: March 2005 Vistula, March 20

Hello Gwynnyd! I came, I saw, I squeeed again! I responded to this one over on the list but wanted to just say again to you how much I enjoyed this image of Sam. He finds comfort, like any good Hobbit, in the preparing of food for his Mister Frodo...even if Frodo isn't currently able to enjoy it. I love that it is Arwen who helps him. Thank you again for thinking of me!! Vistula

Re: March 2005 Babies - Thanks Eruwestial and Agape

A big thank you to both Eruwestial for KIndness and to Agape for their drabbles! I replied on the HA list but I just wanted to say how touched I was that the two of you ventured into the realm of drabbling for li'l ol' me. I couldn't be happier if I were stuffed with mushrooms!! Cheers and thank you again for helping to make my birthday an extra special treat (and 'taint even here yet)! Vistula

Thanx much, Vistula and EdorasLass, for your kind words about the mega-drabble. I really was nervous about writing Sam. Particularly since I know very little about green and growing things; in fact I have a black thumb. Vistula, your comment just gave sparked off another DrabbleMuse prod; though I don't know if I can get it done by your birthday, or, if I do, will it be too repetitive... Anyway, Vistula, have a blast on your big 40! RAKSHA THE non-gardener DEMON

Thanx much, Vistula and EdorasLass, for your kind words about the mega-drabble. I really was nervous about writing Sam. Particularly since I know very little about green and growing things; in fact I have a black thumb. Vistula, your comment just sparked off another DrabbleMuse prod; though I don't know if I can get it done by your birthday, or, if I do, will it be too repetitive... Anyway, Vistula, have a blast on your big 40th! RAKSHA THE non-gardener DEMON

Re: Happy early birthday Allie! - March 29

I am so glad you like the drabble! And of course you can repost it in your LJ. It is a birthday drabble for you, after all. Ooh! Yay for your new paid account! Have you found out who your Mysterious Benefactor is yet? Have fun with new icons. Hugs, Narwen PS. The instant drabbling was fun! We should make it a regular thing and do it more often...

I really was nervous about writing Sam. Particularly since I know very little about green and growing things; in fact I have a black thumb. Hi RAKSHA, I just wanted to tell you that I have a black thumb too...but I don't let that stop me from writing Sam. I do have a garden consultant though... Of course, now you have me curious...what comment sparked the muse? Thanks again, RAKSHA. If the start to my birthday - brightened by all my wonderful drabbles - is any indication, this should be the best birthday ever! Cheers, Vistula

Happy Early Birthday, Vistula

My birthday (the BIG 40) is March 20th and I would LOVE drabbles that have YOUR favorite character somehow interacting with MY favorite character. For those few of you who haven't already guessed who THAT may be, the answer is, of course, Sam. Beauty for All to See A double drabble for Vistula’s birthday, with some inspiration from The Secret Garden. Faramir and Sam discuss poetry and gardening. “What are you doing this early?” Faramir asked warmly. “N-nothing, sir.” Samwise blushed. Faramir silently raised his eyebrows. “That is, I was just trying to write a poem… about elves and such. Seems a shame not to after this journey, and all. It’s not good though.” “Your master and his kinsmen tell me you wrote a poem about a troll that was quite good.” “That was just foolishness. Nothing, really.” Sam blushed even redder. “Please, Sam, will you read it to us?” Frodo appeared suddenly. Hesitantly, Sam did … and was mortified when Faramir read it aloud at a formal dinner, albeit anonymously. “Sir, that was just a bit of nothing. It isn’t proper, it being read to all those people by one as fair spoken as yourself.” “On the contrary, Sam, such beauty mustn’t be hidden. How would you feel if someone planted a beautiful garden, but built a high wall around it?” “A garden is meant to be seen, sir, but a poem can just be whatever was in the author’s head.” “And a garden is what was in a gardener’s heart. So what is the difference, may I ask?” Faramir walked away, leaving Sam to ponder that.

Happy Birthday, Meril

Contact and Cures A drabble for Meril (Allie) on her birthday. An attempt to combine Galadriel/Celeborn, Houses of Healing, and a happy moment between Feanor and Nerdanel. Slightly forced, but oh well. Eowyn’s life seemed to be connected with beautiful elf-maidens. Arwen was her Queen, and Galadriel her teacher. “Even mortal bodies are designed to heal themselves. They just need a little help. Herbs are part of that, but sometimes people die of a broken-hearted loneliness. It is essential that everyone has contact with caring people.” Eowyn thought of Faramir. He hadn’t left her alone. Healers, athelas, king’s hands---all of these had helped, but Faramir superseded them all. Faramir and Celeborn entered. “You look excited, Faramir.” Eowyn commented. “I’ve been reading lost records. Apparently Feanor and Nerdanel had their happy moments.” A/N: I hope the whole relationships-are-better-than-herbs thing isn’t too overdone, but it is Tolkien.

Re: Happy Birthday, Meril

Ooh, Jedi; these are great! Only flaw is the mispelling of Galadriel (you have it Galadrial). No, the relationships-are-better-than-herbs thing isn't too overdone. I like Eowyn's recognition of Faramir's special care for her. Leave it to Faramir to find the poetry in gardening; and Sam to actually do both things. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Allie - I don't have time to drabble today, alas. If the DrabbleMuse comes up with something for me to give you, I'll happily whip it into shape for you, but she's a fickle thing and is telling me that I've overworked her this week. RAKSHA THE DEMON

Happy Birthday, Narwen Almiriel and Allie!

My drabble muse has finally deigned to visit... I don't know how long he's going to stay, so I hope that you two don't mind sharing a drabble-pair about Celeborn and Galadriel...

Edit: (I've tweaked it slightly since the original post...)

Silver and Gold

He comes.

To some he was The Wise; the appellation amused him.

To foes confronting the fell hand of the argent-crowned warrior lord, he was executioner.

To our daughter, he was her healer of hurts, silver-tongued story-singer, patient teacher, proud protector.

To me? He was my anchor in Endor, my roots, my nourishment. Upon me alone he bestowed his ofttimes tempestuous, ofttimes tender, ever-impassioned love.

Our endless separation has tattered my soul. But now, as his white ship approaches quayside, I savor the first faint brushes of his mind on mine.

I clasp my gold-banded hand to hide my trembling.

~~~

She awaits.

She stands in solitude amidst the throng, a pillar of white-gowned elegance bewreathed in a rippling aureole, regal in her dignity.

Disembarking, I am drawn to face her.

Others see the glacial magnificence of towering Taniquetil; but I alone glimpse Orodruin's perilous fires concealed beneath -- and grasp the profound cost of masking such passions behind her public guise of serenity.

Her eyes betray her turbulence to me: wrath, sorrow, anticipation... despair?

Did you fear I would not come, my love?

I raise my gold-banded fingertip to her grave and beautiful face, then caress away the single scalding tear.

"...there is no record of the day when at last [Celeborn] sought the Grey Havens, and with him went the last living memory of the Elder Days in Middle-earth."

The Fellowship of the Ring, LoTR Prologue, Note on the Shire Records

Thanks for your kind words, Rashka. Spelling error corrected!

Re: Happy Birthday, Narwen Almiriel and Allie!

Sweet mention of his storytelling to Celebrian! I really do think Celeborn would be "silver-tongued." I'm sure Galadrial knew he would come, but anyone would have their moments of despair.

*************************************** Roots and Branches Raksha-- Despite your claim that you have a black thumb, you did a credible job with Sam and gardening. I very much like the theme of gardeners as healers, as well as growers. I also like Sam comparing Denethor and Boromir's madness to a blight in the soil--a condition caused by external organisms and adverse growing conditions, not heredity. Poor Faramir--he must have felt as if everyone in that city was talking about him and his dysfunctional family. Branwyn

Sweet mention of his storytelling to Celebrian! I really do think Celeborn would be "silver-tongued." Thank you, MJ! I'm sure Galadrial knew he would come, but anyone would have their moments of despair. Somehow, I suspect it was many centuries before he finally went to the Undying Lands... I'm sure that Galadriel probably wasn't always completely confident that he would come... it must have been hellish to wait so long. - Barbara

Re: March 2005 Babies - Part 4

I'm enjoying reading the birthday drabbles at HA and thought I could request one on my own. My birthday is on March 24 and I would like something with Aragorn(Strider) and the hobbits or Aragorn and Boromir. Thanks, Chris

Raksha-- Despite your claim that you have a black thumb, you did a credible job with Sam and gardening. I very much like the theme of gardeners as healers, as well as growers. I also like Sam comparing Denethor and Boromir's madness to a blight in the soil--a condition caused by external organisms and adverse growing conditions, not heredity. Poor Faramir--he must have felt as if everyone in that city was talking about him and his dysfunctional family. Branwyn, thanx for commenting - and that you noticed the comparison of Denethor and Boromir's problems to a blight in the soil, Sam's way of saying that it wasn't heredity...Faramir has been very proud of his family in the past; and knowing that others, particularly the Fellowship, know about not only Boromir's fall but Denethor's going bonkers just when he was most needed, must be horrible for him. How'd you like to look your girlfriend, your new boss, and assorted heroes, in the face and realize, every time, that they know how your father went nuts and tried to burn you alive? It might be enough to make even a very sensible and confident fellow like Faramir to start doubting himself as he begins a new role in a changed world... Elena Tiriel - lovely SILVER AND GOLD double-drabble! Very pretty and Elvish-seeming! Narwen - ARTANIS was beautiful. I'm so envious of all these people who can actually drabble in less than 300 words - something I don't manage too often! RAKSHA

Elena Tiriel - lovely SILVER AND GOLD double-drabble! Very pretty and Elvish-seeming! Thank you, Raksha! I'm so envious of all these people who can actually drabble in less than 300 words - something I don't manage too often! I'm so envious of those who can write drabbles quickly -- after nearly six months of a complete inability to drabble, I sweated over this one off and on for three days... - Barbara, to whom writing does NOT come easy...

Re: ObsidianJ!

As requested, Aragorn and Boromir! Happy Birthday! But I can't think of a title. All suggestions welcome. ********* “Is the Singing Rose still in operation?” Aragorn asked. Boromir gave him a slightly startled look. “Yes, it is,” he confirmed, glancing at the sleeping forms round the campfire to make certain they were not disturbing the others. “Best meat pies in the City, in my opinion.” Aragorn exhaled a long stream of smoke. “I remember them well,“ he nodded, “just the right mix of spices, and pastry so light --” “ -- ‘I can scarce keep ‘em from floatin‘ out t' oven‘ ,” Boromir finished the tavern keeper’s oft-trumpeted boast with a grin. He studied Aragorn a moment, clearly curious. “I did not know you knew Minas Tirith so well,” he said at length. Aragorn’s answering smile was both nostalgic and cryptic.

re: Mysterious Jedi's drabble for me I already said so onlist, but again: I love it, thank you! Allie

re: Barbara's drabbles for me (and Narwen) *gasp* Barbara! I love it, thank you! So beautiful, and elvish, and... and... gah, I just love them so much! May I repost in my LJ, pretty please? Allie (who loves all the people who have given her presents so far...) PS- This is post #50. I'm off to start thread 5! EDIT: Please continue in the next thread. Thanks!

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I love them. They really are absolutely wonderful. May I repost them im my LJ, please? Thank you once again! Hugs, -Narwen PS. I know I really shouldn't post in this thread anymore, but it's just so much easier to reply here! Sorry!

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum