Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: December 2004 Birthdays - 2

December 2004 Birthdays - 2

Continue to post birthday drabbles in this thread!

Always,
Allie

NEW! December 3 - Astara: Can I have something that has either Denethor, Finduilas, Boromir or Imrahil in it, please?

December 4 - Azalais: I'd like Fellowship drabbles. By which I mean - any moments which show our beloved Nine together, in fellowship, basically. Active or contemplative, noisy or quiet, some or all of the Company, it's up to you - but I particularly like gap-fillers, which expand on the little moments JRRT didn't have time or space or inclination to go into detail about.

December 9 - Bridiliel: I have an unnatural infatuation with Dwarves and Numenoreans. If you could be so kind as to write something about these two races- or anything you fancy- for my birthday, I would be most humbled.

December 9 - Elana: I'd like to see your favorite character being tempted by the Ring. If that happens to be a canonical temptation, wonderul. If it's wildly AU, all the better. I'm fascinated by how the Ring works, not on a person's worst motives, but their best, and would love to see how that would play out with some of Tolkien's characters from various times and places.

December 15 - Lariren-Shadow: Hi, my birthday is on the 15th. If possible, I would like a drabble about Faramir and Éowyn. Any time, I don't care. Thank you so much for anyone who takes this up!

December 17 - LKK: My birthday is December 17th. I would love to see a drabble about Legolas or the twins Elladan and Elrohir. Or one involving all three. Any time period is fine as are additional characters. No slash though, please. One last birthday wish, I would prefer a happy drabble, if possible.

December 30 - Ainu Laire: I personally would love to see some Aragorn drabbles. Humor, action, angst, and drama are my favorite genres, but anything will do, although slash is not preferred. Anytime, any place, whatever will do fine, but I am a fan of AU, fill-ins, and pre-quest tales. Thanks! :-)

Re: December Babies 2004 -- Book 2

Happy Birthday to Lariren-Shadow, a week or so early! Um, I wasn't sure whether this drabble was General Audience or Mature Content? I think it's General, but if anyone feels differently, let me know. Raksha The Demon WATER SPORTS Her tall, black-haired husband and their much smaller golden-haired son are sporting in the lake. Like his father, Elboron adores the water. Father and son play like dolphins, darting through the sun-drenched waters. Eowyn nurses her daughter. The little girl gestures toward the lake, babbling happily. Eowyn knows she has another swimmer in the family. Later, their nurse takes both children home. Eowyn’s heart melts anew as Faramir rises from the lake, his tanned skin wet and glistening. He answers her smile and extends his hand. Eowyn sheds her garments and goes to him. The placid waters await their embrace.

*melts into happy, F/E puddle* Raksha, this is gorgeous! (and not mature content at all). *sigh* Always, Allie

Thanx, Allie! The muse struck hard and fast with this one. It was fun writing non-angsty, happy family man Faramir after the other drabbles I've done. ( wet and glistening tanned Faramir was for me as well as for Lariren-Shadow and other readers, and of course lucky Eowyn!) Glad you liked it. RAKSHA, who, if she were an artist, would be drawing a MEN OF LOTR calendar ('Men' including male elves of course) which would include a swimming Faramir

WATER SPORTS And just how am I supposed to get anything useful done for the rest of the day? Very, very nice, Raksha - thanks for sharing! Cheers, Liz

I seem to remember a certain "Risk and Reward" drabble that had me reaching for a fan and considering a cold shower a few weeks ago. Consider "Water Sports" my muse's revenge. Actually, coming from a veteran drabbler of your caliber, this is high praise. Thanx for reading; and I'm glad you enjoyed it. RAKSHA THE DEMON

Happy birthday Azalais!

I logged in to post this & saw that Cel has already done something very similar (AND she managed to get it done in 100 words! I couldn't fit the whole Fellowship in less than 200). :sigh: That's what I get for being a slowpoke. Oh, well! Hope you don't mind a slightly, um, familiar-sounding drabble. (Is there an echo in here?) The very dead of winter Sam cracked one eye open and groaned. A lace of frost lay on the blankets piled over him and Frodo, and traced the bleached grass blade next to his nose. "And mountain climbing today, I don't doubt," he muttered. "What the Gaffer’d say! It don't bear thinking about." He stuck one leg out, wincing as frozen air slipped under the covers, and kicked the closest woolen lump. "Merry! Pippin! Strider says ‘tis time to stir yourselves." The two younger hobbits tumbled out, grubby and cross. Legolas was the only one of the company who didn't seem chilled, Sam noted irritably. Gandalf and Aragorn huddled inside their cloaks, swathed in mufflers; all that could be seen of the wizard under the hat brim pulled down over his face was the great billhook of his nose. Boromir had folded the fur side of his mantle over his mouth to warm his breath. Sam stood up, and needles of cold wind instantly drove through his clothes. A milky film of cloud turned the sun to a dull pearl but didn’t soften the bulk of Caradhras looming in the eastern sky. "Master Frodo?" He bent and gently nudged Frodo's shoulder. "We must be off."

Rakasha~ Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!I It means a lot that you would write someting for me actually. It made me smile...a lot! As for the comment ;)! I still like it. What makes it even better is that I am a swimmer! And it gave me a plot bunny! What did people wear to swim then...still the plot bunny gnaws at my ankle. Thank you so much again! ~Lariren

Raksha-- am currently salivating over image of tanned, wet glistening Faramir standing in the lake. Nice job! Cheers, Ali

Azalais: I'd like Fellowship drabbles. By which I mean - any moments which show our beloved Nine together, in fellowship, basically. Hello Azalais! Happy birthday - only a few days late! Hope your day was a happy one. Hope this little drabble suits your fancy. It at least mentions all nine in the company. Cheers, Vistula ~~~~~ I’m Hungry “Sam?” Pippin glanced around, skirting Legolas and Gimli, before falling into step beside the gardener. “Aren’t you hungry?” Misery burned behind the tween’s eyes and Sam paused. “Boromir gave me a biscuit earlier, and Frodo and Merry shared some berries but…breakfast was so long ago.” “You should ask Gandalf or Strider…” “Oh no, I couldn’t do that. Strider would give me that look of his and Gandalf would bristle his brows. They think I’m a bother.” Feeling pity for Pippin’s plight, Sam softened. Winking he turned, calling for the ranger: “Mister Strider? Shouldn’t it be time for luncheon soon?”

Re: Happy Birthday LKK

December 17 - LKK: My birthday is December 17th. I would love to see a drabble about Legolas Happy EARLY birthday, LKK ~ May your day be filled with many pleasant surprises! I figured I'd better get at least a few drabbles out this month in a timely fashion, so here you go. It includes Legolas and I hope that you don't mind too terribly much if it is just a bit wistfully sad. Cheers! Vistula ~~~~~ Sea Longing They sit together, sharing silence. Side by side. Elf and hobbit. Tall, serene, the elf tilts his golden head as if listening to some distant song. Brooding eyes scan the water, committing each cresting wave to memory. Small, pensive, the hobbit draws a hitching breath, swallowing the grief that drowns his heart. Aging arms clutch each other against a chill that comes from within. Honeyed eyes glance up, meeting limpid pools. Inside each sees an echo of his own longing. Both are tormented by a yearning the years cannot erase. “Be comforted Samwise. One day we will both go home.”

Yes, he is! *sigh* if only I could draw as well. ~Lariren

Re: Happy Birthday LKK

Oh, Vistula, Sea Longing was beautiful! "Wistfully sad" was an excellent description for your drabble. So appropriate for this gray misty morning. Thank you very much. I loved it! LKK

Re: December Babies 2004 --for Elana

December 9 - Elana: I'd like to see your favorite character being tempted by the Ring. If that happens to be a canonical temptation, wonderul. Happy birthday. You get a double! Isildur’s Inheritance He kept the fire burning, watching the four Hobbits sleep. Sixty-seven years a Ranger and he could still count on the fingers of one hand the number of times Strider had been allowed in the best rooms by the suspicious Butterbur breed. A cold draft of fear seeped along the floor. Rising and silently drawing his sword, Aragorn moved to the door; a final bulwark against marauding Nazgûl. Staring down at the oblivious Frodo, he found the familiar pommel-heavy weight of the unbalanced weapon cocked jagged point downwards at the sleeper’s throat. In Isildur’s hand, this blade freed the Ring from Sauron. He is Isildur’s Heir. The careless, apple-cheeked Hobbit is no fitting guardian. The Ring ought to be his to protect. Give this land a few years free and there would be an army of Dúnedain sons behind him, and no sneer on Denethor’s face when he demanded what was rightly his, the crown of Gondor. He would besiege Rivendell, drag Arwen… his thoughts checked. He shook his head. Foolishness! He had lost count of the number of times he had eluded the chill grip of Nazgûl. It must be the Ring. He would be doubly on guard now. Gwynnyd

Gwynnyd, I *love* the moment you chose. I have wondered what thoughts crossed Aragorn's mind that night! Thanks! Starlight

Ooooh, Gwynnyd. Beautiful! I love how his thoughts immediately stopped when it came to Arwen. (*raises hand* Romantic sap? Yes, that's me...) Always, Allie

Gwynnyd - Oooh, scary! But, being Aragorn, he checked himself in time. Very well done. Loved the bit about Denethor's sneer, or rather the lack of it when Ringbearer Aragorn would come a-calling with an army of Dunedain. For my own information, I'd like to know if Aragorn has had, or you think he's had, encounters with the Nazgul prior to 3018. Did I miss it? I don't think it was ever said definitely, though there's some implication that Aragorn and the Dunedain might have fought, or at least guarded against Ringwraiths, in THE COUNCIL OF ELROND. Forodwaith - loved the drabble with the entire Fellowship. It would have probably taken me five hundred words to fit them all in so nicely. Vistula - Sea-longing. Mmm. Wistful. lovely mood. And mood is a not an easy thing to capture. RAKSHA THE DEMON

Another for Elana

Heh. Thanks, Raksha. And now, a drabble for Elana; it makes a nice bookend to Gwynnyd's. (Honestly, I swear I was working on it before I saw hers...) ----- The Ring slides around the hobbit's neck as Arwen bathes his wound. He is dying. All our skill cannot save him. She could wield it. Is she not daughter and granddaughter of great lords, wise and strong in her own right? Aragorn is too timid to take what is rightfully his; she will give it to him and he will reign at her side… Her fingertips strain toward the shining band, but Frodo stirs, and they brush his swollen shoulder instead. She backs away. If I steal the Ring, his mind will break. And so, in the end, would hers.

Re: Another for Elana

Forodwaith, this is way too interesting!! All of the drabbles that have been produced by this request are excellent, and very thought-provoking. Who would've thought that all these characters had opportunities to be tempted! Very nice! Thank you! Starlight

For my own information, I'd like to know if Aragorn has had, or you think he's had, encounters with the Nazgul prior to 3018. Did I miss it? I don't think it was ever said definitely p.s. Raksha, this quotation seems to strongly imply it, at least:
'You will have to leave the open road after tonight; for the horsemen will watch it night and day. You may escape from Bree, and be allowed to go forward while the Sun is up; but you won't go far. They will come on you in the wild, in some dark place where there is no help. Do you wish them to find you? They are terrible!' The hobbits looked at [Aragorn], and saw with surprise that his face was drawn as if with pain, and his hands clenched the arms of his chair. The room was very quiet and still, and the light seemed to have grown dim. For a while he sat with unseeing eyes as if walking in distant memory or listening to sounds in the Night far away.
[The Fellowship of the Ring, Bk. 1 Ch. 10]
(SSP time: I wrote a story based on that throwaway remark, In the Wild.

For my own information, I'd like to know if Aragorn has had, or you think he's had, encounters with the Nazgul prior to 3018. Did I miss it? I don't think it was ever said definitely p.s. Raksha, this quotation seems to strongly imply it, at least: And this one, also from Council of Elrond chapter. `If a man must needs walk in sight of the Black Gate, or tread the deadly flowers of Morgul Vale, then perils he will have. ' I assume Aragorn could also have run into the Nazgul from Dol Guldur in his travels. I assumed he would have been near them more than once in his career. Gwynnyd (blush, and I fixed the typo...)

Happy Birthday, Elana!

Elana wanted to see our favorite characters being tempted by the Ring. And like Tanaqui, I believe that Faramir was definitely tempted by the little gold Thing. So here's a triple-drabble. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Elana; a day early! Raksha The Demon SHOWING QUALITY See what fortune, or fate, has delivered to me! The foreseen Halfling stands here, in the wild, where a host of loyal men await my call. Neither the Halfling nor his servant could stop me from taking this mighty weapon. They are too weary, too small, too weak. I would bear it to my father. O, to see the look of pride he would bestow on me! His spirit, now burdened with my brother's loss, would rise. Armed with his wisdom and the Ring of Rings, we could surely defeat the Enemy, drive the Dark Lord's forces from Osgiliath and from the Black Land itself, cast down Sauron and all his works! Father shall come to love me as he loved Boromir, for I will save our land. I shall reclaim Ithilien and Osgiliath. I will make Gondor the unchallenged queen over all the lands East of the Sea, great in power and wisdom and commerce. The Haradrim who now assail Ithilien shall bring us tribute on their knees. I will construct great libraries and colleges. I will become as great a lore-master as Mithrandir himself… Mithrandir. He fell. All the Rings of Power cannot bring him back, or Boromir. The Grey Pilgrim perished so that Frodo Baggins might live to complete his errand. And Boromir fell prey to the lure of Isildur‘s Bane. So said the halflings; and I know that they spoke truly. In truth, this Ring belongs no more in the hands of Men than it does in the Enemy’s clutches. My poor brother, it was too sore a trial for even your hardihood. I shall help the halflings, not hinder them. And I will spare my father the temptation that has touched both his sons, and remain, as he has called me, a wizard’s pupil.

Happy Birthday, Elana

For Elana. Not my favorite character, but others have done Aragorn very well. From the Depths The water is its second skin—a ripple in the pool a ripple in its being. A stirring of the bone-riddled mud, of memories of metal-cased flesh driven into open arms. A hungering... a hungering... for sweeter flesh, and something more... An end to hunger. They would come, prey from all quarters, to cast themselves into the waters, and it would feed. For this hint of gold in the veins calls, whispering: Come, and in the belly of the beast shall be plenty at last, at long last and forever... The Watcher glides unseen, and its arms stretch towards satiety...

Re: Happy Birthday, Elana

Phew, Dwim. An analyzation of the Watcher's psyche: there's an unexpected POV! A phenomenal answer to the question if the Watcher knew about the Ring when it went for Frodo. Hunger would really be its only driving motivation. Always, Allie

For Elana

Happy Birthday! Precious The shadow growssssss… A whisper in my head. I thought myself immune to the call of the Ring, but it speaks to my greatest desire. The Green wood, restored to greatnessssss… I glance at the Ringbearer, sleeping the way mortals do, though tonight his sleep is fitful. Does it speak to him in the same way that it does to me? I set my mind against its call. Mirkwood… Shadowsssss… I steel myself against the images in my head; my greatest fear, my home overcome by the Shadow, and vow again to help defeat this fell device of the Enemy.

Re: For Elana

That's great, Arandil. I chose Legolas myself for this drabble, and made him vulnerable to the same temptation. It's difficult to think of any other weakness the ring could exploit. Very nice. I love these birthday drabbles; and it's not even my turn yet! Jay

Happy Birthday Az! - sorry it's so late. I couldn't fit it into 100 so I've had to go for the double. ---------- Pony Sense "See there, sir, he's favouring it a bit." "Yes, I see - easy Bill, good lad - I don't think it's much, Sam, just a little stiffness." They really shouldn't fuss. I know when I'm well off. No whips and curses here. Just that great Man, standing guard over there. Makes me feel as tall as a warhorse when he rubs me down. And that one of the Fair Folk who sings of starlit things in my ear. And my Hobbits. One's resting, but two are grinning, waving their feet in the air. "See that's what's best about bare feet - no wet boots." "Hmph!" our Wizard snorts. "It's wet stockings that are the worst." "Well if you can't have a fire at least you can have a smoke," they laugh and offer him their odd-smelling weed. No trouble with my feet. Not with a Dwarf to see to the fit of my shoes. But that liniment does smell nice. And those hands do feel very good. And my leg really does feel much better already ... "There, that should do it, Sam. I think all will be well." Kind master strokes my nose, slips me dried apple, and I know that it will. ------------ Cheers, Alawa

Re: For Elana

I chose Legolas myself for this drabble, and made him vulnerable to the same temptation. I had to, of course, go look for your drabble. That was great! I love the angle you took of him wondering why his father had no ring of power!

For Az (And Julia from November)

Happy Birthday! Waiting We wait as Gandalf thinks. The Men are restless. Aragorn has not stopped pacing since we halted. Maybe Men also feel the absence of the light of the stars. The Hobbits are nervous. Frodo glances behind us; for what I am not sure. Do they miss, as I do, the trees overhead? The only one at ease is that Dwarf. Apparently unnatural beings take to unnatural places. We would be better off should he stay in this vile black pit, and not burden us with his inborn tendency toward betrayal. Yes, as Gandalf thinks, we can do naught but wait.

From the Depths Oh, Dwim! This is so... creepy! - Barbara

FB: Gwynnyd and Forodwaith

Just to give a brief and inadequate comment on Gwynnyd's and Forodwaith's drabbles: Wow. Beautiful, and they are so appropriately paired—very illuminating.

Gwynnyd and Forodwaith - thanx much for the references on Aragorn's possible Close Encounters of the Nazgul Kind. It certainly sounds like he's been up against one, probably multiple Ringwraiths, before. I may put this into question form at the RESEARCH QUESTIONS forum, since I don't want to clog the Birthday Cards forum with more posts on the topic.... RAKSHA

Happy birthday, Ainu Laire

A very early b-day drabble. Hope you like it! Vocation/Untitled* 'Tis midnight when a small figure joins him. "Is aught wrong, Pippin?" Aragorn asks. "Can't sleep," he replies, unusually terse. Aragorn nods. He, too, has felt little desire for sleep since Weathertop. In silence they sit, watching the night. Then suddenly: "What you said in Bree—you've fought the Riders before?" "Aye, once." Pippin frowns up at him. "And you still came with us?" 'Tis Aragorn's turn to frown, wondering how to explain himself to a hobbit. "Long ago, I vowed to serve even unto this last. For a Ranger, it cannot be otherwise." Silence. Then (sweet relief): "Thank you." ————— *Not really happy with the title, though it'll do in a pinch. Suggestions?

Phew, Dwim. An analyzation of the Watcher's psyche: there's an unexpected POV! I'll say! I wasn't expecting to write that at all. Darned monsters... A phenomenal answer to the question if the Watcher knew about the Ring when it went for Frodo. Thanks, Allie! Glad you liked it. Barbara said: Oh, Dwim! This is so... creepy! Thanks! Dwim

Hapy Birthday, Elana!

Not my favorite favorite character, but he sure comes close! Happy Birthday, and thanks for this fun drabble request. Many happy returns! Starlight Taunts of Fate There was a pause, but the most keen-eyed among the Dunedain said that the Orcs were moving inwards, stealthily, step by step. Elendur went to his father, who was standing dark and alone, as if lost in thought. “Atarinya,” he said, “what of the power that would cow these foul creatures and command them to obey you? Is it then of no avail?” (The Disaster of the Gladden Fields- UT) *** They’d not been spared thus far to fall now! Why will his father not wield it? With their enemy defeated, wherein lies the peril? And if his father won’t, dare he do it? Yes. He would banish darkness forever… Everything his sires before him had risked - had it been for naught? He would wipe all memory of Annatar from Middle-earth. He would do it… for his kinsmen, for Númenor… Then he sees his future in his father’s eyes. What bitter fate that made their hope become their bane! No, the ring must go. He shall not be stained. *** “My King,” said Elendur, “Ciryon is dead and Aratan is dying. Your last counselor must advise nay command you, as you commanded Ohtar. Go! Take your burden, and at all costs bring it to the Keepers: even at the cost of abandoning your men and me!” (The Disaster of the Gladden Fields- UT)

For Bridiliel

Happy Birthday, Bridiliel! Here you go: Numenoreans, and one of my favorite periods from their history. Hope your day was great! Starlight Faithful Man cenuva métim' andúnë?* He writes, and blows the ink dry. Beautiful, he thought, with the pride of the artist, as he looked at the brushstrokes transformed into words. Such delicacy of line, such elegance of style, such knowledge, such wisdom… will it be wasted for the foolishness of Adûnakhôr? Nay, not Adûnakhôr. He would not indulge the whims of a madman. ‘Tar-Herunúmen,’ he whispers, realizing he is fearful of the future. If he is caught writing in Quenya he’ll be hanged, his family shamed. But he cannot help it- His honor, his conscience won’t allow him. He will fight. *(Lines taken from a poem found here http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/markirya.htm It translates: Who shall see the last evening?)

Such wonderful Drabbles everyone. I am so impressed by this noble and talented company!! Kudos to you all and I apologize that I don't have the time to comment individually!! Cheers, Vistula

Re: December Babies 2004 -- Happy B-Day Ainu Laire

I personally would love to see some Aragorn drabbles. Hello Ainu Laire! Happy early birthday to you. I've had this little drabble hanging about for awhile, just waiting for the right person to come along. I hope you enjoy it! Cheers, Vistula ~~~~~ Bittersweet He’d been dreaming – a warm pleasant dream of a more carefree time. A sweet dream of younger days, filled with simpler things, all under the gentle canopies that sheltered his home. Imladris. She’d been there, stoking the fires of those dreams. Easing away his cares with her touch, the tender caresses filled with centuries of experience. To her years, he was just a boy and yet all man when wrapped in her slender arms. Arwen. Awakening, he faced the cold light of a dawn without comfort, breathing away the ache of his heart with the smoke from his pipe. Aragorn.

Thank you Gwynnyd, Forodwaith, Raksha, Dwim, Arandil, and Starlight, for your wonderful drabbles. I loved them all. This has been a very fun birthday! And here, in the spirit of Hobbit birthday celebrations, is a gift from me to everyone. Pity It knows me so well now. At first its promises were laughable – a Hobbit lord of Middle-earth! But soon it offered dearer possibilities - places and people I love preserved undecaying… But I withstood, and now raise my hand to fling it into the fire. The reflections on the tiny circle catch my eye. So beautiful, so fragile. So afraid. I feel its terror pulse like waves of heat from molten stone below. It pleads, entreats, begs, only to survive. Failing, it grows desperate, and grovels whimpering before me. Master… I am no destroyer. My hand falls. Forgive me, Gandalf….

Happy belated birthday, Az!

Curse this drabble bunny! Az, it's impossible to do all nine in 100 words. Here's three hundred and a happy birthday! Among Friends "Do you think it's the water here?" Merry asked. Boromir snorted. "More likely the wine!" he replied, and Pippin coughed, having sipped from his cup at just the wrong moment. "If so, even Sam and I'll be fast friends, despite the blanket plot," he said. Sam rolled his eyes, cheeks reddening. Aragorn shook his head, but Rangerly reserve lost to mischievous impulse: "Wagers on how long it will last?" he asked. "I give it a week." "Three days," Frodo said unexpectedly, a gleam in his eye as he grinned at Aragorn, who raised a skeptical brow back at him. "My pipeweed stash is running low; I'll look forward to replenishing it." "Wretched stuff," Boromir opined, but said, "I give it the night. And I look forward to air I can breathe about you lot!" "And if you lose?" Merry demanded, deliberately puffing on his pipe, and laughing when Boromir gave an exaggerated grimace of disgust. "What then?" "Then you'll have coin enough to buy a field of the noxious weed." "Then I'm in," Pippin declared. "Five days." But in the end, all wagers came to naught, for the days drifted by in Lórien, and neither Dwarf nor Elf seemed inclined to shove the other off a riverbank or a tree limb—seemed, indeed, to spend ever more time together. "Who'd've imagined it?" Pippin said, incredulous one morn, watching as Gimli and Legolas escaped into the trees for the tenth day in a row. And to the surprise of all, it was Sam who replied: "Well, I could've told you. It weren't the water nor the wine. It's in the air here—hear it all the time, them Elves singin' about him." A silence settled on the Company. Then Aragorn chuckled. "Samwise, indeed!" Thus did the spirit of Gandalf live on.

For Elana

I'd like to see your favorite character being tempted by the Ring. If that happens to be a canonical temptation, wonderul. If it's wildly AU, all the better. I'm fascinated by how the Ring works, not on a person's worst motives, but their best, and would love to see how that would play out with some of Tolkien's characters from various times and places. Sorry this is late, but I could not get him to talk to me. -------------------------------------------- Every night since they have come I hear the whispers in my dreams. “It will remain ever like this. Your Golden Wood standing, your Golden Lady at your side. All of Arda a forest. I will grant you this.” I see in dream two giant thrones, my Lady beside me, before us Arda, green and unspoiled. No Orcs, No evil men to mar it. In one such dream, I look into my Lady’s eyes. I see nothing. She is gone. Would I surrender to this ring and not let her remain Galadriel, would not I then no longer be Celeborn? Dean Maia of Este

Ainu Laire wanted an Aragorn drabble, and as I seem to be stuck with an Aragorn!muse at the moment, here'sa little pre-quest moment. Happy Birthday, Cheers, Liz Not weaponless Elrond placed the sword in the young man’s hands. “If you are to fight alongside my sons, you must have a weapon suited to your stature; and one of your own, not borrowed from the Armsmaster,” he explained. Estel reverently drew the Elven-blade from its sheath. “It is beautiful,” he breathed. “Thank you, Lord Elrond.” He bowed low. “I shall carry no other while I have strength to fight.” Elrohir stirred and made to speak, but Elladan put a warning hand on his arm. Not yet. There will come a more fitting time for him to accept the greater charge.

Hi! I'm not a newbie to HASA, but I only learned about this list today, thanks to Ann. Actually, I don't know If I'm doing this right, and on top of that, my birthday is already over - it was on December 3rd -, but I'd love a drabble all the same. So here's my belated birthday wish: Can I have something that has either Denethor, Finduilas, Boromir or Imrahil in it, please? Thanks! Astara

Your wish is my command, birthday girl! I'm very happy to share this with our friends here. Marriage Counseling “So the marriage is successful, then?” Imrahil eyed Finduilas over the soft dark fuzz of his newborn nephew’s head. “What makes a successful marriage? Affection, and respect. He has his work, and I have mine, now. Did you think it would not be? Have I not been raised to know my duty?” “Affection, respect, duty. What of joy? Passion? He seems a dull humorless man, but perhaps you see a side of him I do not…” She laughed, soft music, and the babe stirred sleepily in his uncle’s arms. “I see many sides of him that you do not, brother.” Hope you had a wonderful day, and many more to come! Ann

Heee! Yes, I bet Finduilas saw many sides of Denethor that Imrahil, and most other people, never did. I think Denethor would have been very passionate with her, at least privately... Nice drabble. RAKSHA

Re: Happy Birthday, Elana - Pity

Oh sure, Elana, make me have to find a tissue. This made me cry; so touching and sad. Made me almost pity the ring and to definitely pity Frodo. *sigh* Beautiful! Cheers, Vistula

Drabble feedback for lots of people

Who me? No, I'm not procrastinating at all. *cough* Lots of drabbles to love in December—and I'm only looking at one thread! Vistula: I'm Hungry Bravo, Sam's voice is perfect! I love these little interludes where we see Sam acting on a daily level in ways that foreshadow his toughness later. It's not just that he can trek over mountains, but he's not afraid to take on others who generally inspire a kind of deference by virtue of experience, age, wisdom, endurance—what have you. Sam just doesn't have any fear of their disapproval or irritation so long as he's acting for someone else. Bittersweet And beautiful! This has such a lovely, drifting, imagistic quality to it, despite its brevity. Very appropriate for describing dreams. Love the hint of eroticism here: She’d been there, stoking the fires of those dreams. Easing away his cares with her touch, the tender caresses filled with centuries of experience. To her years, he was just a boy and yet all man when wrapped in her slender arms. Very understated, and I love that last line. Arandil: Precious Thank you for tempting Legolas. I think I've been waiting to see that written... Alawa: Pony Sense This is lovely! I confess I'd forgotten about poor Bill, but he is a member of the Company. Good to see that throwaway comment of Tolkien's, on what Bill Ferny's treatment must have been like, taken up by way of the positive flip-side: how do the members of the Fellowship treat Bill that he would want to go with them. Starlight: Taunts of Fate Should've known you'd find a way into Elendur's head! It's a great moment to pick and so very underwritten. I love the moment of realization between these lines: He would wipe all memory of Annatar from Middle-earth. He would do it… for his kinsmen, for Númenor… Then he sees his future in his father’s eyes. Well done! Elana Pity Happy birthday once more, and thanks for the drabble. I particularly like the line "I am no destroyer"—this spoke to me of the corruptive aspect of evil. Frodo isn't a destroyer, and that virtue becomes the vice by which the Ring snares him. Were it not for Gollum, the pity of Frodo would have ruled the fates of many to a much different and grimmer end than Bilbo's. Great allusive inversion! Bravo! Liz: Not Weaponless 1) Thank you for not letting Aragorn go off into the Wild with just a broken sword. 2) That last unspoken line is perfect. In a single sentence, the entire future is staring us in the face. Annmarwalk: Marriage Counseling "I see many sides of him that you do not, brother." *snork* I'm sure she does. I'm trying to tame my inner snarky pervert that would name which sides. I think I should probably go wash dishes to bring it to heel. Good comeback on Finduilas' part!

Happy belated birthday, Astara!

Hey Astara, Sorry this is so late! Blame it on RL and uncooperative muses. Hope you had a great birthday!
Dol Amroth Salted sea spray. The fishermen’s boats bob, crowding Cobas Haven. All distant specks from this height. Seagulls crying. A long inhalation. Footsteps behind him and Imrahil turns. His brother-by-marriage, his lord. A grave face. A wide mouth twisted into its characteristic scowl. Imrahil always thought it made Denethor resemble a bullfrog. But he scolds himself for the whimsical thought and adjusts his expression to mirror his Steward’s. As a young man, Imrahil was one whose nervous impulse was to laugh at funerals. He has long since trained himself to remain silent. “It is time we begin this affair,” Denethor mutters.
Aeneid

For Astara

For Astara. Happy late Birthday! From one December birthday to another. First time trying a drabble, hope you like it. Sea Longing She looked to the West, wishing to see the sea again, to feel its spray upon her face, her its wave crash on the shores. It was not her marriage that made her long for the sea, but the wanting to have a home that she could be free in. The walls of the White City could feel oppressive at times. She turned when she heard the cries of her youngest son. She went over and picked him up, when she heard the scurries of little feet. Boromir had come to see his brother. She smiled at them, and her longing for the sea ceased. Again, Happy Birthday! ~Lariren

For Astara - Brothers and Lessons

Happy late birthday, Astara! I hope that it was very wonderful, and I hope you like this almost-double drabble! Brothers and Lessons "No, Faramir: like this." She heard Boromir's clear voice from far down the hall, and smiled. What was he teaching his brother today, even when kept indoors because of rain? Swordplay, as always. Faramir was only five and already his brother was hard at work making her littlest one a warrior! "Stroke down, and curve right twice. There, see? Perfect." Her eldest son's voice was full of pride. Hearing that coaxing tone.... "I'm tired of letters, Fin. Can't I go outside and play now?" She sighed, faintly exasperated: an adult's mind in a decade-old body. "Finish your lesson and you can." "Fin, please? I'm almost done..." Resigned sigh. "Let me see your letters." The paper was thrown across the desk, and she leaned forward, inspecting it. "Almost, Imri: the ngoldo character has a double bow. The lúva curves twice to the right." She took up a quill, correcting his mistake. "There, see? Perfect." The memories faded. Peering around the corner into the nursery, she drew back in surprise, then smiled. Boromir, frowning in concentration, was kneeling next to the desk fixing Faramir's letters.
Nicknames come from Isabeau of Greenlea's stories.

Re: For Astara - Brothers and Lessons

A great drabble, well and carefully written. I liked the flashback of Finduilas teaching her little brother his letters. And 10-year-old Boromir concentrating on helping Faramir with his letters is a lovely image. RAKSHA THE DEMON

Re: For Astara - Brothers and Lessons

Thanks, Raksha! Glad you liked it! All of a sudden, late at night, Finduilas started talking to me, and this was written in about fifteen minutes! Always, Allie [EDIT: We've reached past 50 posts! Please start posting drabbles and requests for December in part three!

Re: Pony Sense

Happy Birthday Az! - sorry it's so late. I couldn't fit it into 100 so I've had to go for the double. Well, my thanks are even later, coz I'm still catching up... This is gorgeous. My very own Tenth Walker double drabble - hurrah! I love Aragorn's ease and gentleness with Bill. And "that one of the Fair Folk who sings of starlit things in my ear" And Gimli doing the shoeing. Bill off on a walk with a retinue of nine to cater for his every need! Lucky Bill, I'm green with envy- wouldn't mind Aragorn massaging *my* sore calves and Legolas singing in my ear... Many many thanks Alawa, I love it Az

Re: Happy birthday Azalais!

I logged in to post this & saw that Cel has already done something very similar (AND she managed to get it done in 100 words! I couldn't fit the whole Fellowship in less than 200). :sigh: That's what I get for being a slowpoke. I don't think it's like Cel's at all, myself! Ooh, it made me *cold*. Brrrrrrr. I love the "great billhook" of Gandalf's nose. And Sam getting grumpy at Legolas for not being cold I think it's beautifully written, not a word out of place, and I like the title! (From "The Journey of the Magi", am I right?) Sorry for such a late reply - I'm just catching up, having convinced myself that things like drabble thank-yous and Christmas cards *must* be done before I can justify sitting down and finishing off my ROTK EE DVD... Cheers, and hope you're not as cold as the Fellowship!

Hello Azalais! Happy birthday - only a few days late! Hope your day was a happy one. It was lovely - but the rest of the week has been *incredibly* hectic and I'm very behind on the list, so my reply is equally a few days late! This is sweet, Vistula - and I love Sam's practical kindliness, spot-on. Thank you - it's a lovely present! Cheers, Azalais

Re: For Az (And Julia from November)

I like it, Arandil! I suspect after a few hours waiting in the dark of Moria Legolas would have been getting *very* edgy indeed. And easy to take out the resentment on Gimli for being apparently the only one at ease. Thank you, and I'm sorry I'm so late catching up to it! Cheers, Az

Re: Happy belated birthday, Az!

Ooh, Dwim, I can easily forgive you slipping over into a triple - that's just gorgeous (chortling). It's so good to see them all being *happy* and carefree - it didn't happen often on that trip, curse it! But in Lorien, yes, you can make it fit. And I love the way you link it back to Gandalf and his plea that Gimli and Legolas at least should be friends (getting sentimental now!) Aragorn's mix of "Rangerly reserve [and] mischievous impulse" is lovely - nice to see him not being grim. And good old Sam of course puts his finger on the mystery. Dwim, that was wonderful, thank you! Az

Ann, I loved "Marriage Counseling" I just *love* your Denethor and now, like Dwim, you've got me thinking about those sides of him that only she can see... Starligh *sigh*

Re: Drabble feedback for lots of people

Dwim, Should've known you'd find a way into Elendur's head! It's a great moment to pick and so very underwritten. :-) My head's been there for a while, hasn't it? Thank you so much for your comments! They mean a lot, and I'm very glad you enjoyed it. Starlight

So many talented writers and so many gems in this forum! I'm so sorry I can't give more detailed feedback, but I promise an attempt at redemption by starting to give feedback as I read from today on. You have all done such a wonderful job! The way you turn everyday (and not-so-everyday) events into something so amazing is pure genius. Well done! And, thanks for sharing. Starlight

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum