Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: November 2004 Birthdays - 4

November 2004 Birthdays - 4

Here's the request list so far!

And remember: "A drabble a day keeps the nuzgul away!" Write one today!

November 8 - acacea: I'd love a drabble on an Aragorn Faramir conversation or a Faramir Gandalf post ring war conversation or a Faramir Eldarion conversation

November 11— annmarwalk: I'd love something about either or both of Denethor's magnificent sons.

November 12 - Aeneid: My drabble preferences, in order, would be something Haradrim or Fourth Age. I think that's vague enough to cause inspiration. And if not that, then a completely AU Boromir (Liiiive! Liiiive!) as a fall-back

November 17 - Ithildin: Hail, O talented ones! I would enjoy something with Elves – Legolas, Thranduil, Celeborn, Galadriel, Elrond, twins, etc., etc.- whichever muse speaks loudest. ;) (no slash, please)

November 22 – Julia (jcd1013): I’d love a drabble that focuses on the interactions (friendships only please!) between the Fellowship--angsty or happy, with any combination of characters. I'm leaving it pretty general (I think?) and I hope that it inspires.

November 23 - Melina: I'm easy -- any of the following would be lovely: Boromir and Faramir, either growing up or as young men; Eomer and Theodred, either growing up or as young men; anything in the 4th age with any of the following -- Aragorn, Arwen, Faramir, Eowyn, Eomer, Lothiriel.

November 30 - Ranger1: Please any drabble on First or Second Age Elves. Have inspiration!

To Aeneid and Raksha

Glad you both liked it! I, however, was not happy with it, and so changed it a bit. Hope you don't mind. Here's the revision: The Men of the South "Haradrim to me!" cries lieutenant Fhelu'ut. Ahrit, clutching a spear, joins him. Defeat's in the air as Ahrit stares numbly at the White Tower rising over smoke and field, remembering. Three months past, he stood awed beneath another tower, feeling his father's hands heavy upon his shoulders as Ahedri paid the salt tax in the only coin he had: "Here is Ahrit, my son, a man this day–one for Mordor, may he please the One." Boyhood died in Mordor, and Gondor shall claim both man and manhood—he'll not see his fourteenth year, and he weeps as Gondor charges... **** And so in this place and that, by burned homestead or barn, upon hillock or mound, under wall or on field, still [the Haradrim] gathered and rallied and fought until ... all were slain save those who fled to die, or to drown in the red foam of the River. — "The Battle of the Pelennor Fields", RoTK, 151 Happy birthday, once again!

Re: To Aeneid and Raksha

I like both versions, but have a slight preference for the first version, because of the dignity that his courage confers on the boy, in the face of certain death. Any way you could keep both? RAKSHA

Hey Dwim, Ah, and see, I think I like the second one better. Your language seems richer. Like this line: Defeat's in the air as Ahrit stares numbly at the White Tower rising over smoke and field, remembering. While this: Boyhood died in Mordor, and Gondor shall claim both man and manhood—he'll not see his fourteenth year, and he weeps as Gondor charges... THIS! This was just beautiful and so, so sad. Wonderful! Thanks again! Aeneid

Raksha asked: Any way you could keep both? The other is still untouched in the old thread, for those who like that one better. For myself, it was precisely the too-adult, too self-conscious dignity in death that needed to go, since Ahrit is only thirteen and in fact, this "story" is a commentary on practices of war that should make us feel horror and which are not at all uplifting. But I'm glad you liked both! Aeneid said: Ah, and see, I think I like the second one better. Your language seems richer. Like this line: —Defeat's in the air as Ahrit stares numbly at the White Tower rising over smoke and field, remembering.— It did need that "numbly" to really work. While this: [cut last line] THIS! This was just beautiful and so, so sad. Thank you. That's what I was aiming for, although clumsily in the first draft. I think I got caught in the general heroic tone of Tolkien's work, and so ran roughshod over "reality" the first time, as it were. Wonderful! Thanks again! You're welcome. Dwim

Re: November Birthdays - Part 4

Happy late Birthday Julia!! I hope your day was a wonderful one! Here's a little Fellowship drabble for you as requested. (And really, I am trying to get caught up on my drabbles...honest I am!!) Cheers, Vistula ~~~~~ Simple Comfort “Tea, Mister Strider?” I glance up as Sam offers the mug, his smile cautious. “It’s weak, mind you, but hot. Just the thing to ease the night’s chill.” I nod, accepting his kindness with a smile of my own. Sensitive to our needs, he seeks to warm spirits plagued by a cold the late winter weather couldn’t match. Knowing only simplicity, and having no words to abate the darkness, he soothes our melancholy with hot drink. I watch him move on, filling each cup in turn, and understand that with his liquid offering he brings simple comfort to us all.

Re: Happy Birthday, Melina! only a day late

Happy birthday Melina! This has been bubbling at the back of my mind all month, it just took a bit of quiet morning to be completed as a double drabble. I've never written unabashed romance before - what fun! Courtship King though he be, he was still a young man in a strange city. Stone walls closed in on him; and everywhere, too many people, too much noise. He hungered for a moment of quiet, and a breath of air; a blessed glimpse of green to remind him of his home. He found these things at last, in rooftop garden, high above the city, tucked behind a carved archway. He found also a young woman, dark haired with eyes of grey, hoping to catch a whiff of salt air – the scent of her home. Shy at first, they sat and talked. He told her of a great sea of grass, and the thunder of hoofbeats in his blood. She spoke of the thousand colors of the ocean in all its moods. We are all children of the sea, she said, for do we not sleep in a bed of salt water in our mother’s womb, dreaming of this life? He wondered at that, but her voice was like music to him. When they met again, that evening, he took her hand, and did not let go. She wondered at that, but after a while, she entwined her fingers with his.

I assume the couple is Eomer and Lothiriel at their first meeting. These lines are perfect: He told her of a great sea of grass, and the thunder of hoofbeats in his blood. She spoke of the thousand colors of the ocean in all its moods. They capture the esseense of each person clearly and crisply. RiverOtter

Simple Comfort—Could I borrow your Sam, Vistula? Please? It snowed here, and I have to trek out to school even so. *sigh* Your drabble certainly hit on a visceral level this morning!

BELATED BIRTHDAY DRABBLE FOR ACACEA: "November 8 - acacea: I'd love a drabble on an Aragorn Faramir conversation or a Faramir Gandalf post ring war conversation or a Faramir Eldarion conversation" Acacea, here's a double drabble containing both pre-and-postwar conversations, after a fashion, between Faramir and Gandalf. Happy Late Birthday, Acacea Raksha The Demon TELL ME WHY “Mithrandir, tell me why….” “I want to know! Tell me why the sky is blue over our City this day, but grey and red in the East.” “Tell me why the King left us.” “But why there are seven stars and seven stones and not six of each? “Tell me why Quenya is hardly spoken any more...” There never was such a lad for questions as my young friend Faramir. He was one of the few Men who feared me not, even as a small child; and I enjoyed filling his questing mind with what knowledge I was permitted to share. But later, I could not give him the clear knowledge he craved, when Faramir entreated me sorrowfully: “Mithrandir, I do not understand. Tell me why my father tried to kill me.” I gave the best answer I could, that his father would have taken Faramir with him out of love as well as despair. I watched Faramir struggle to comprehend the incomprehensible, and the desolation in his eyes change to weary acceptance. He had learned crueler lessons than mine, including the sad truth that the heart and mind can hold greater mysteries than all the lore of fallen Númenor.

Could I borrow your Sam, Vistula? Sure Dwim. He's done with the Thanksgiving baking and would be happy to come and pour you a nice cup of steaming tea. Sorry you had to venture out. We dodged the snow here and managed to just be cold and windy. Did benefit from a lovely clear sky and moon last night though. Hope your day went well!!! Vistula

(posted by Forodwaith in the previous thread) ...Here's one for Ithildin, a little late. Hope you don't mind that the elf featured is Arwen; she's been talking at me quite a bit lately.... ‘Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.’ Arwen balanced Galadriel's silver vessel in her hands. Starlight reflected from the water inside cast wavering light on her face. "Will you look in the Mirror?" "I wished to see the future of this love… but now I wonder if that is wise. You said once that the Mirror was dangerous as a guide of deeds." "It may be; but only you can say whether you want guidance." Slowly Arwen raised the ewer and tilted it. The silver sang as water spilled in a thin stream on to the grass. "I will choose for myself, no matter what may come." *********************************** Oh, thank you, Forodwaith. RL has made it difficult to answer promptly, but your gift is very much appreciated, I assure you! Arwen is such an interesting character, and I really like this scene; of course – at some point she would have to choose whether or not to look into that mirror, and how tempting that would be! I like the starlight reflecting on her face, and the way the silver sings as she pours the water on the grass. I think she made the right choice and I expect her grandmother approved as well. Lovely! Thank you again, Ithildin *(

Re: Tell Me Why

This was lovely Raksha! It brings out Faramir's friendship with Gandalf so very well! I really liked the transit from Faramir's very apt curious questions to the more poignant one he is bound to have after the war, and the voice is really effective. Particularly liked the last line too. Thanks a lot!

Re: Tell Me Why

Oh, I'm glad you liked it! My drabble muse bit down and wouldn't let go on this one. (I can only write drabbles when the Muse bites; and I never know when she's gonna latch onto something) I bet Faramir was a really pushy little kid, and wore out his tutors; and Denethor probably didn't have much time for him, and maybe not that much inclination to answer all those questions, and then Mithrandir would pop in and out of Faramir's life, with lots of answers and a seemingly boundless treasure-trove of knowledge. I love the friendship between Gandalf and Faramir; their relationship is strong in ROTK, but doesn't get enough play, especially after the Pyre... And I wanted to convey the fact that there are some questions to which even the wisest wizards have no clear answer. Sheesh! I'll quit before my comments exceed the length of the double-drabble. Hard to stop; I could burble on about Faramir and Gandalf for hours... RAKSHA, happy that you saw and liked the piece. Thanx for commenting!

November 23 - Melina: ...anything in the 4th age with any of the following -- Aragorn, Arwen, Faramir, Eowyn, Eomer, Lothiriel. Hi Melina, Happy late birthday to you! I'm hoping it was a grand one for you. You asked for something fourth age with Aragorn and Arwen so I hope this is suitable. Cheers! Vistula ~~~~~ The First Hunt “They sound dangerous.” Arwen’s lips pursed with concern. “You’re sure he’ll be safe?” “Don’t worry my love, Faramir’s boys are responsible. They’ll take care of Eldarion.” “Estel…” “He’ll be fine.” Aragorn soothed her worry with a touch. “Your brothers took me at Eldarion’s age and I managed just fine.” “My brothers? Oh, yes, that’s a comfort.” Arwen glanced anxiously out the window, as the boys gathered below, snares in hand. “You’re sure?” “Yes, beloved. Boys have gone on snipe hunts for years and I’ve never heard of any coming to harm.” Facing the window, Arwen missed her husband’s amused smile.

Priceless and a reminder that even in a changed world, some things never change. The smile on Aragorn's face is great. I would if Arwen will ever discover the true nature of snipe hunts. RiverOtter

Vistula, I just wanted to say that I loved your drabble, The First Hunt. Very nice with a wry humorous ending. Well done! LKK

Thanks RiverOtter! I'm glad you liked it. I think he might be in trouble but then again, maybe he should take Arwen on her own special snipe hunt....that might smooth things over. LOL! Vistula

Thank you so much LKK! I love drabbles/stories with a twist. Cheers! Vistula

I would if Arwen will ever discover the true nature of snipe hunts. There seems to be some in-joke about the phrase "snipe hunt"... Is it not just a straightforward hunt of some type of bird? - Barbara, totally clueless

A snipe does not exist. It is a way to play a harmless joke while getting the victim involved without injury. RiverOtter

Ahhh! Even my hopelessly suburban mind can understand the potential for fun there.... Thank you, RiverOtter! - Barbara

RiverOtter wrote: A snipe does not exist. It is a way to play a harmless joke while getting the victim involved without injury. Elena Tiriel wrote: Ahhh! Even my hopelessly suburban mind can understand the potential for fun there.... He... he... I'm with you, Barbara. Although I didn't even catch on that there might be an inside joke about this "snipe hunting" business. *sigh* "Hopelessly suburban mind": yep, that's me as well. Always, Allie

Oh, Ann, I can't tell you how much I liked this. I have somewhat of an obsession with Eomer and Lothiriel and this was so beautiful and I am so in this literary place right now... Thank you!

Happy Belated Birthday, for Julia

Happy Belated Birthday, Julia! It's a little late, but hope it pleases you. Wishing you the best! Starlight Soldiers, Friends, Brothers Their companionship was too newly formed for him to be bound by ties closer than duty, he told himself. Duty is tighter a bond for a true soldier than kinship or even love, but he was no more the soldier- he was the friend. The younger Halflings were now dear to him. It’s been too long since I was home, he thought to justify his feeling, but their loving friendship reminded him of two boys he used to know: The elder protective, strong, forward; the younger curious, eager, sharp-witted... They walk ahead, and Boromir smiles to himself. Take care, Faramir *** 'But how are we to get down there, even if you have cut through the drift?' said Pippin, voicing the thought of all the hobbits. 'Have hope!' said Boromir. 'I am weary, but I still have some strength left, and Aragorn too. We will bear the little folk… Come, Master Peregrin! I will begin with you.' He lifted up the hobbit. 'Cling to my back! I shall need my arms' he said and strode forward. - “The Ring Goes South”, FoTR

A belated drabble for Melina

Happy Belated Birthday, Melina! I hope you had a very nice, fun day. Here's a little gift for you. Like I said in response to Ann's beautiful drabble, this is a place I've been in for a while. Hope you enjoy it. Cheers, Starlight *** Unexpected Discovery Lothiriel is shy around him today; he wonders why- well, not really... Her mouth’s still pursed and when he chuckles at that she glares at him. Why is it he likes to tease her? Could it be the way her eyes brighten when she’s upset, how her lashes flutter when she blinks hard? Could it be how daintily her lips curl, how she blushes in fury or shame, the intensity with which she looks at him? By Bema, she’s beautiful! She glances fleetingly at him and he feels a pleasant thrill. A man could get used to this, he thinks.

For Ranger1

Happy Birthday! For you, two of my favorite First Age Elves. Hope you have a great day! Starlight *** Names ‘Why does my father call you Aranwion?’ The elder Elf smiles. ‘Because I am son of Aranwe.’ ‘Do you like it?’ Earendil asks, searching his friend’s face. ‘It reminds me of my father,’ Voronwe says. ‘Did you know Aranwe means noble-one?’ At this, Earendil’s eyes widen. ‘What does Voronwe mean, then?’ ‘Steadfast-one.’ Earendil became thoughtful. He had heard how Voronwe helped his father through many troubles. Steadfast seemed an appropriate name. ‘I’ve never seen the sea-’ the child says, brows furrowed. ‘Why is my name sea-lover?’ A strange twinkle lightens Aranwion’s eyes. ‘Someday, my friend, we will find out.’

A snipe does not exist. It is a way to play a harmless joke while getting the victim involved without injury. Thanks for answering this for me...I couldn't get on last night to reply! Vistula

Re: Happy Belated Birthday, for Julia

Soldiers, Friends, Brothers This is wonderful! I love everything about it!!! The image of Boromir as a protector to Merry and Pippin is a very strong and compelling one to me and one I love to drabble about myself! Cheers and kudos! Vistula

For Melina

Happy Birthday! Some Éomer & Théodred Boyhood “Race you to that hill!” “What hill?” Éomer asked as he turned his mount to face his cousin; but Théodred’s horse was already off and running across the plain. Still a little small for his new horse, it took Éomer a moment to coax him to a run. Yet he reached the small rise just moments after the other boy. “Is that how you will demonstrate fairness when you are king?” he taunted. Théodred sidled his horse up next to Éomer’s and clasped his shoulder, giving his cousin a toothy grin. “No! By then I shall have a faster horse.”

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum