Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: December 2004 Birthdays - 1

December 2004 Birthdays - 1

It is getting close to December. So post your birthday request here and hopefully you'll get a nice present.

RiverOtter

December 4 - Azalais: I'd like Fellowship drabbles. By which I mean - any moments which show our beloved Nine together, in fellowship, basically. Active or contemplative, noisy or quiet, some or all of the Company, it's up to you - but I particularly like gap-fillers, which expand on the little moments JRRT didn't have time or space or inclination to go into detail about.

December 9 - Bridiliel: I have an unnatural infatuation with Dwarves and Numenoreans. If you could be so kind as to write something about these two races- or anything you fancy- for my birthday, I would be most humbled.

December 9 - Elana: I'd like to see your favorite character being tempted by the Ring. If that happens to be a canonical temptation, wonderul. If it's wildly AU, all the better. I'm fascinated by how the Ring works, not on a person's worst motives, but their best, and would love to see how that would play out with some of Tolkien's characters from various times and places.

December 15 - Lariren-Shadow: Hi, my birthday is on the 15th. If possible, I would like a drabble about Faramir and Éowyn. Any time, I don't care. Thank you so much for anyone who takes this up!

December 17 - LKK: My birthday is December 17th. I would love to see a drabble about Legolas or the twins Elladan and Elrohir. Or one involving all three. Any time period is fine as are additional characters. No slash though, please. One last birthday wish, I would prefer a happy drabble, if possible.

December 30 - Ainu Laire: I personally would love to see some Aragorn drabbles. Humor, action, angst, and drama are my favorite genres, but anything will do, although slash is not preferred. Anytime, any place, whatever will do fine, but I am a fan of AU, fill-ins, and pre-quest tales. Thanks! :-)

Re: December Birthdays 2004

It's mine on December 4th, and I'd like Fellowship drabbles. By which I mean - any moments which show our beloved Nine together, in fellowship, basically. Active or contemplative, noisy or quiet, some or all of the Company, it's up to you - but I particularly like gap-fillers, which expand on the little moments JRRT didn't have time or space or inclination to go into detail about. Ooh, I'm anticipating already

I have an unnatural infatuation with Dwarves and Numenoreans. If you could be so kind as to write something about these two races- or anything you fancy- for my birthday this December 9th, I would be most humbled. Come on, you would make a newbie extremely happy! ^__^ (I just joined today.)

My birthday is December 17th. I would love to see a drabble about Legolas or the twins Elladan and Elrohir. Or one involving all three. Any time period is fine as are additional characters. No slash though, please. One last birthday wish, I would prefer a happy drabble, if possible. Thanks! LKK

Re: For Azalais

It's mine on December 4th, and I'd like Fellowship drabbles. I was pondering and the muse struck early to give me Aragorn and Boromir, and contemplation. Hope it suits! Renewed acquaintance I sucked in my breath when he entered the council chamber. No longer a chubby infant in his nurse's arms: an imperfect copy of the doting face that once hung proudly over him looked uncertainly around the company. I heard his father's voice, too, as he spoke of Gondor's valour, Gondor's needs. Well do I remember those wearisome debates. And, when Elrond named my title, it was his father's mistrust I saw in his eyes. Many miles we travelled together, yet all too few. I would there had been more time to learn how he was not his father's son. Happy Birthday! Cheers, Liz

Oh, I loved this! I am fascinated by the fact that Aragorn knew Boromir before the Council. There is so much material for story-writing in that fact, and you've given us a beautiful part of it. It's so hard to pick a favorite line, but if I had to, I think it would be: ...an imperfect copy of the doting face that once hung proudly over him... And I heard his father's voice, too, as he spoke of Gondor's valour, Gondor's needs. And ...when Elrond named my title, it was his father's mistrust I saw in his eyes. I changed my mind, I can't just pick a line- it's all beautiful. Thank you! And, this is the best thing about drabbles: we all get to enjoy each other's presents Thanks again! Starlight

Renewed acquaintance Such a beautifu drabble Liz! I loved it. The last line is so moving it brought a tear to my eye! Vistula

Hi, my birthday is on the 15th. If possible, I would like a drabble about Faramir and Éowyn. Any time, I don't care. Thank you so much for anyone who takes this up! ~Lariren-Shadow

Hello, my birthday is on the 30th. I personally would love to see some Aragorn drabbles. Humor, action, angst, and drama are my favorite genres, but anything will do, although slash is not preferred. Anytime, any place, whatever will do fine, but I am a fan of AU, fill-ins, and pre-quest tales. Thanks! :-)

My birthday is December 9. I'd like to see your favorite character being tempted by the Ring. If that happens to be a canonical temptation, wonderul. If it's wildly AU, all the better. I'm fascinated by how the Ring works, not on a person's worst motives, but their best, and would love to see how that would play out with some of Tolkien's characters from various times and places. Elana

For Bridiliel

I might be able to turn out a small fic for you, as my mind's been lost in the Glittering Caves as of late...

Happy Birthday, Azalais!

I hope your day is great! And, I hope this does it by way of gap-filler (I love those too!) It's a brief moment for the fellowship but one that, I think, must have had a lot of meaning to them all. Happy Birthday! Starlight *** Fellowship It was a cold grey dusk when the company left Imladris, not knowing if for the last time. A wound in the road makes Elf and Ranger gaze back toward the valley. One had fulfilled part of his dream; the other was leaving it behind. The Halflings also turn- the twinkling lights below cheer their spirits a bit. Wizard and Dwarf stand in contemplative silence, if not impatience. And Gondor’s son fingers his horn, briefly regretting he is the only one homeward bound. Their next step shields the vale from view. Their lives entwined now, they face the darkness. Together.

Re: Happy Birthday, Azalais!

Excellent. You captured a poignant moment in the Fellowship's journey as they head into the future. The images of twinkling lights behind and the darkness ahead is a fine contrast. RiverOtter

For Bridiliel: Dwarves and Númenóreans!

I have an unnatural infatuation with Dwarves and Numenoreans. If you could be so kind as to write something about these two races- or anything you fancy- for my birthday this December 9th, I would be most humbled. Come on, you would make a newbie extremely happy! ^__^ (I just joined today.) Happy early birthday, Bridiliel! This second (drabble) wrote itself, and then I wrote a sort of prequel (drabble-and-a-half) to it, so enjoy both dwarves and Númenóreans! Always, Allie A Gift of Friendship I touched the wall, marveling the difference two years has wrought. The cracked marble replaced by smooth white once again, the stone docks sound. Anar has sunk below the horizon, leaving twilit peace and serenity. “Beautiful, is it not?” a voice beside me rumbled. Glancing down, I see Andvar standing there with folded arms and critical eye. “Aye, beautiful,” I respond. “Yet my eyes turn homeward of late. There is a beauty there that cannot be found here.” “A lass?” Smothering a grin (my lovely betrothed called simply “a lass”), I nod. Andvar’s beard twitches, and he reaches into a leathern pouch at his side, withdrawing a tightly closed fist. “Gundvar brought these from the Falas: perhaps your lass will like them as a gift from Arda.” I take his proffered hand, and see the milky gleam of a dozen pearls in the dim evening light. “Thank you, my friend.” A Gift of Love “What are they?” “Pearls, my star-watcher: pearls from the coasts of Arda.” His breath tickles my ear, and I tremble. Valar, I could never resist him when he spoke to me like that. “I--” “Shh, love. I need to ask you something.” I hold my breath, hardly daring to hope. And as he fastens the rope of cool pearls about my neck, he whispers, “Marry me in the springtime, my beautiful Elestirnë, and I will never leave the island again.” Gazing into his brilliant, earnest grey eyes, then looking out upon our blossoming isle from the balcony, I smile. ------ 1. “His ‘right name’ was Anardil, but he was early known by the name of Aldarion because he was much concerned with trees, and planted great woods to furnish timber for the ship-yards.” ~Unfinished Tales 2. Elestirnë (Tar-Elestirnë – “Lady of the Star-brow”) was a title given to Erendis because she wore a diamond fillet about her head after her betrothal to Aldarion.

Re: For Bridiliel: Dwarves and Númenóreans!

This was absolutely beautiful. Aldarion is my favorite Numenorean, and even though it's not my birthday: Thank you for this!

Re: For Bridiliel: Dwarves and Númenóreans!

This was absolutely beautiful. Aldarion is my favorite Numenorean, and even though it's not my birthday: Thank you for this! Aw... *blush* Thanks, Starlight! Glad you liked it! Always, Allie

I'd like to see your favorite character being tempted by the Ring. Happy early birthday Elana!! Hope you enjoy your day and the drabbles that come your way. Thank you for giving me a chance to drabble about my favorite subject!! Cheers! Vistula ~~~~~ The Taint of Guilt Lingering Mister Frodo's sleepin' - exhausted - deathlike. You glitter there against his threadbare chest, taunting, your voice the slithering of a snake down my back. Sssssssamwise... I try to ignore you, digging nails into my palms until they bleed. Bag End. I'll give it to you for your own. No! But my mind sees the gardens, the flowers. Hunger burns in my heart. Master of Bag End. I touch you, lightest fingertips fondling while the vision caresses my mind. In that moment of weakness, doom was sealed. For now, as his ship sails west, I can see you delivered what was promised.

Liz - so sorry I've only just replied to this, we've had a dead monitor for nearly a week! (now replaced with shiny flat screen, ooh, precioussss...) First-person Aragorn - what a treat! And in the wake of the film I remember seeing lots of fic expanding on *Boromir's* intake of breath when he heard who Aragorn was, but not the converse. I *love* the last line. Boromir was not, in the end, in every way his father's son - would Denethor have turned away from the Ring's temptation at the end? Poor Boromir. Sniff. This is a lovely early birthday prezzie - thank you!! Cheers, Az

Re: Happy Birthday, Azalais!

Ooh, Starlight, that's just the sort of gap-filler I had in mind It must have been so difficult in that gloomy grey twilight to turn and leave the lights and warmth and cheer of Rivendell behind. (So what's the part of Legolas' dream he's fulfilled? If I'm reading that line right?...) This is wonderful: Their next step shields the vale from view. Their lives entwined now, they face the darkness. Together. Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to meeee [smugness]

Re: For Bridiliel

Hi Bridiliel I couldn't manage to get Dwarves and Numenoreans to co-operate in a single drabble, so I hope Numenoreans only will do. (You may get Dwarves separately. ). Anyway, here's a little moment with two of my favourite Numenoreans. Happy Birthday! Cheers, Liz Faithful Every morning I go first onto the balcony to look in the tub and marvel at the miracle of new life. All winter we have watched, fearful and hopeful, until the first green shoot showed. Yet my fears and hopes did not end then. Today I see, wondering, that a bud has uncurled at last: a leaf, dark above and silver below. “Well, and what are you looking at?” asks a familiar and long-missed voice. I turn and find my brother sitting up in bed. “I could eat two breakfasts,” he laughs, stretching and yawning. “Have mine!” I offer joyfully. *** But Isildur came at last hardly back to Rómenna and delivered the fruit to the hands of Amandil, ere his strength failed him. Then the fruit was planted in secret, and it was blessed by Amandil; and a shoot arose from it and sprouted in the spring. But when its first leaf opened then Isildur, who had lain long and come near to death, arose and was troubled no more by his wounds. The Silmarillion, Akallabêth

This is great, Liz! You have a knack for focusing in on my absolute favorite Good Guy parts of the Silm... - Barbara, whose birthday it isn't... but who's enjoying the gift, anyway.

Liz, that's great! Pre-Ring Isildur! Yes! Always, Allie

Happy early birthday Elana!! Hope you enjoy your day and the drabbles that come your way. Thank you for giving me a chance to drabble about my favorite subject!! I responded to you already on HA, but again, thank you so much! It is a lovely drabble. Elana

Az - no problem on the delay and glad to hear you're back online (shiny flat screen? We wants it, preciousss, we wants it.) You should thank Gwynnyd for inveigling me into a conversation about (book) Aragorn's feelings on leaving Rivendell, which got me thinking how Boromir would have no idea how very less-than-thrilled his father would be when his "friend" Thorongil turned up again- or that he had met Aragorn before! Starlight and Vistula - thanks for the kind words. Enjoying other people's birthday presents is definitely one of the nicest parts of this notion. Cheers, Liz

Hi Barbara and Meril Oh yes, we definitely need more reminders that Isildur wasn't just the guy who didn't destroy the ring when he could have done! His rescue of the fruit of Nimloth is one of my favourite Silm episodes too. Cheers, Liz

Your Isildur drabble was great! I know Bridiliel will be very pleased. All of this Silmarillion drabbles are making me want to go back and read the book again. There is so much material for story-telling in its pages, and your drabble portrays one of the most interesting. I can just see Isildur, seeking for cover of night and going up to steal the fruit. However did he manage to do it? That single episode says so much about this man's character- I love it. Thanks for such a nice drabble! Starlight

For Elana

'I'd like to see your favorite character being tempted by the Ring. I'm fascinated by how the Ring works, not on a person's worst motives, but their best.' That very quickly prompted this: Temptation I can hear the Ring’s seductive whisper on the edge of my thoughts. I know its evil lure; have seen it at work in the company. To banish its malice, I think of my home; the trees green and growing. Yet blight and shadow mar the woodland now. My father fights valiantly, using all his power and strength to defeat this darkness. Why is it that he is the only elven ruler without a ring of power? It would be so easy: together we could sweep all evil from the forests of this world. I have only to take it. Happy birthday for the 9th! Jay

For Azalais

In Hollin The four Hobbits were all asleep, curled up together in a tumbled bundle of blankets. Gimli snored softly on the other side of the fire. Next to him Legolas made a rounded hump under his own cover, with only part of his face exposed to the chill night air. Aragorn leaned back against the rough bark of a great oak and drew on his pipe. Beside him Gandalf did likewise, loosing a thin stream of smoke from his lips. They shared a thoughtful glance as Boromir paced restlessly across the moonlit space of the clearing in which they were encamped. *** *phew* Working in all nine of the Fellowship into 100 words is tricky! Happy birthday, Az! Celandine

For LKK

Happy birthday LKK! I somehow found it easier to get inside a seven-year-old boy's head than to get anywhere near an elf, so I hope this will suit. Young Elboron’s Tale (with Guest Appearances by Elladan and Elrohir) I hear that Legolas has visitors: tall and fair, elves! Our queen’s twin brothers, friends of the king, from his childhood! That is the gossip in our kitchens. I will go see for myself. I can move quietly too, perhaps not as quietly as an elf, but I have been practicing, trying to learn rangerly ways. There could still be orcs about, and I must be ready to defend Gondor, like my uncle did. There they are, under the beech tree – watching birds, perhaps? Are there not birds in Imladris? Where are their weapons? I should like to see their bright swords. Damn that twig! They are looking right at me! Of course, they are elves – with their powers, they probably could hear me from the time I left home. Well then, no secrecy or surprise; best I speak straight out what is in my mind. “Greetings, my lords. I am Elboron, son of Faramir, Steward of Gondor. Did you know my uncle Boromir? Can you tell me about him?” They smile at each other – another small boy, seeking tales - and beckon me closer. “Sit, young ranger. We will tell you of a warrior we met, once, in Imladris….” Ann

Re: For LKK

Priceless. It is interesting to realize how many people knew Boromir and how different each one perceived him. Nice that the Twins treat Elboron as a Ranger despite his youth. I wonder how much of Boromir they see in his nephew. RiverOtter

Thank you! I envision Elboron as hero-worshipping his uncle, and always ready to discuss this favorite topic with anyone who will listen. Ann

Ann's lovely drabble (thank you, Ann!) persuaded this one to come out from where it's been marinading in the back of my mind for the past few days. Again, it's from the perspective of one of those pesky Dunedain , but I hope it suits. Happy Birthday! Cheers, Liz Brotherly love I pause, recognising trouble. I have learnt since I was last in Imladris that it can be found in the corridors of great houses as much as in mountains or woods or on borderlands. Elrohir uncurls himself from a stone bench; Elladan pushes himself away from the pillar where he has been leaning. “So, this is what our little sister has chosen,” Elrohir says to Elladan. “Three thousand years and then this,” Elladan agrees. I cannot tell if the disgust in their voices is real or feigned. Then they laugh. “She could not have chosen a better Man,” they chorus.

For Lariren-Shadow

Lariren-Shadow wanted something about Faramir and Eowyn. Ann's drabble inspired this one too, when it set me wondering about just when Elboron was going to connect some of the stories he's been told with his own parents. (He's probably a little younger here - maybe around five?) Anyway, a little family moment. Hope you like it. Happy Birthday! Happy ever after “Tell me how the beautiful princess killed the wicked Witch-king,” Elboron begged. “Very well,” his father laughed and settled his sleepy son against him. “Once there was a beautiful but sad maiden,” he began. He paused and looked up as a shadow fell across them. “That old tale!” his wife said, sitting on the end of their son’s bed. “It is time I told you a new one.” Elboron’s drooping eyes opened wide with surprise. Father was the one who told stories, not mother. “Let me tell you about the handsome prince who defied the Witch-king and saved his land.…”

Re: For Lariren-Shadow

Liz, these are both wonderful! And to think that I sat at the computer this morning, my mind a blank, not having any idea what I could do for LKK...until the boy started to talk to me. Amazing! Ann

Oh that was very sweet! And very good! ~Lariren

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Liz!!!!!! I love it and its so cute that both of his parents would be there. I love little Elboron as well! I think you may have made my day by writing thie for me! What is kinda funny is that last week I wrote as story about Faramir telling Elboron a story. Yay for another one like this! Again thank you and it was very well done. ~Lariren

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Liz!!!!!! I love it and its so cute that both of his parents would be there. I love little Elboron as well! I think you may have made my day by writing thie for me! You're welcome. Never any hardship to write about my favourite couple. What is kinda funny is that last week I wrote as story about Faramir telling Elboron a story. Do you know there's a nuzgul HASA Birthday Challenge and an oliphaunt (closed challenge) called Don't worry, be happy that you can associate your story with? Cheers, Liz

Liz~ Really? There are? Is it ok then that the story is already on ff.net because I remember there was discussion about that and I can't remember if its ok to have one both here and there. But thanks for the tip! ~Lariren

Hi Lariren I've never heard that it's not OK to have stories at many archives including HASA, so you should feel free to post it here. Cheers, Liz

Re: For Elana

Oh dear, seems my drabble muse is in full flow today and won't shut up. Elana wanted to see our favourite characters being tempted by the Ring. I don't think I can compete with Vistula's terrific drabble about Sam and his guilt over beconing master of Bag End, but I naturally had to tackle Faramir. (I'll admit I cheated a bit, since I already used some of these ideas in a story.) And is it canoncal or not? Well, I see temptation in the book, even if some others don't. Happy Birthday! Cheers, Liz Wise enough The armies of the Enemy flee before him; his father hails him as the saviour of Gondor, embracing him warmly in front of the people. He moves among happy families celebrating harvest home: barns and byres filled with the bounty of the wide, well-tilled acres of Ithilien. He kneels to give fealty, under a white-blossomed tree, while ambassadors from Harad and Rhûn, Khand and Dunland watch. Only make a simple thrust or two with his sword…. No! Would he save what he held most dear if nothing would grow fair or bear fruit or flower again without the Enemy’s taint?

Happy birthday Elana! You requested such an intriguing topic, I couldn't resist. I would like to add Eomer to the list-- mine is obviously quite AU. Suppose the Fellowship decides to head to Minas Tirith. What happens after this moment, I leave to your imagination. A Rider, Tempted These nine come to Edoras, on their way south. Their mission? They speak of a token, perhaps; an errand. Then I glimpse it; a mere flash of gold at the Halfling’s throat, but in it is all I could desire. I see this murk lifted from our halls, Rohan restored to her glory. I ride forth, most fell of Theoden-king’s Marshalls, and purge our lands of this venom in one stroke. The old songs would echo over the plains, green, and golden as that trinket… My fists are clenched so tightly I feel my fingers might break. If only…

For Lariren-Shadow

Happy birthday, Lariren-Shadow! The Scents of the Place At work in her garden, fingers embedded in warm earth. Eowyn thinks, oddly, about smells. Edoras: Grassland, horse, dog, peatsmoke. She had always been accustomed to those smells; but now, she wrinkles her nose a bit at the memory, laughing at herself. Ithilien: new-cut hay, birch trees in bud, the lavender leaves she crushes between her fingers. Her husband: sweat, sunshine on bare skin; the herb-scented soap he loves. She smiles. Footsteps, and here is Faramir, stretching out on the grass next to her. Reaching over, he nuzzles the back of her neck, murmuring, I love the way you smell. Ann

Here's a companion to yours, Ali, also extremely AU! * I've rated it Adult, just to be on the safe side, maybe some of you could let me know if you think that rating is warranted or not. A Shieldmaiden, Tempted When the Company arrives, she quickly arranges meals and beds. Later, she joins them, listens, and thinks. This device - could it not be used to restore her uncle’s health and strength? Then, they could ride to Gondor’s aid. She too would ride – is she not a shieldmaiden? Could she not be a marshal? Could she not – How to get it? She eyes the hobbit speculatively. He flushes, looks away; then looks back, speculatively. Catching his glance, she gasps; then begins to think: how to rearrange the beds… Something rouses Sam from his dozing; he wakes abruptly, looking for danger. Ann

Another for LKK

December 17 - LKK: My birthday is December 17th. I would love to see a drabble about Legolas or the twins Elladan and Elrohir. Or one involving all three. Any time period is fine as are additional characters. Urk...this started as a double drabble...then triple, and now finally as a quadruple drabble. What can I say? This muse definitely got away with me. When those Peredhel start talking, they really talk! Happy early birthday LKK Cheryl ******* Mischief Elrohir pulled the well-fletched arrow tight against his cheek, released and watched with satisfaction as the shaft sped across the course and struck the target’s center with a resounding thud. He turned, a mocking smile playing at his mouth. “Your turn. Or you can concede now and avoid the shame.” His smile broadened as he watched Legolas eye the distant target for a long moment, before pulling an arrow from his quiver. “’Tis not an easy shot,” Legolas replied, his eyes narrowing in concentration. He released the arrow. It flew straight towards the target, deftly splitting Elrohir’s arrow in half. He smiled broadly. “But not overly difficult either.” “Perhaps it is you who should concede, muindor.” Elladan laughed. Shaking his head, Elrohir’s gaze shifted to his brother. “Care to defend Imladris’ honor?” still smiling, his voice took on a challenging note, “or mayhap your aim is less sharp than your wit?” All three laughed, as Elladan strung his bow and took Legolas’ place in front of the target. Elrohir watched his brother take aim until a rustling in the bushes grabbed his attention. His smile faded as a small figure darted out into the range. “Elladan!” He turned and was relieved to see his twin lowering his bow. “Peace, muindor, I see him.” All three elves stared silently at the small figure standing in the middle of the range, a guilty expression on his face. Elrohir cleared his throat. “Come here, Estel.” The dejected six year old slowly crossed the range, stopping in front of him. Head lowered, he mumbled, “Sorry, Elrohir.” Elrohir glanced at Elladan and Legolas, their sympathetic expressions mirroring his, before he knelt and placed both hands on the boy’s shoulders. “Estel, look at me.” He kept a stern demeanor as the youngster looked up. “How many times has adar told you to stay away from the archery range?” “A lot.” Estel muttered. “I was playing.” “And you did not notice where you were, little brother?” Elladan added softly. Elrohir smiled as the youngster nodded slowly. “We will not tell adar…this time. His gaze turned somber. “But do not let it happen again.” A smile lit up Estel’s face as he nodded emphatically. “Oh, I won’t! I promise!” He turned and darted down the path. Elrohir stood, sharing a laugh with the other two before he pointed at the target. “I believe it was your turn, muindor?” ******* muindor - brother adar - father

Working in all nine of the Fellowship into 100 words is tricky! But you did a lovely job I particularly like the way this shifts subtly from being apparently "just" a descriptive piece (and there wouldn't have been anything wrong with that either, it's very evocative description!) to having a lot more going on under the surface in the second paragraph. They shared a thoughtful glance as Boromir paced restlessly across the moonlit space of the clearing in which they were encamped. I can just see those two, thinking in unison though saying nothing. They've known each other long enough and smoked enough pipes together not to need words. Beautifully done, Cel - my heartfelt thanks!

Re: For LKK & Another for LKK

*jumps up & down excitedly* *stops, sits, and rubs tired feet* Thank you, thank you, thank you all! I spend a long weary afternoon trudging from store to store Christmas shopping. Only to come home, empty-handed and footsore. I get on the net & discover not one, not two, but THREE wonderful drabbles written just for me and my upcoming birthday! What a fantastic surprise! Ann -- I loved young Elboron spying on the twins. Liz (Tanaqui) -- That was a perfect moment between the twins and Aragorn. I'm sure the twins felt that if Arwen had to fall in love with a man, Aragorn was the best man for her to love. Cheryl -- I didn't mind at all that your drabble grew and grew. Every bit of it was delightful. Once again, thank you all! LKK

You're most welcome, Az - I was glad that I was able to get it up by the right day! Cel

Ann~ Thank you so much Ann!!!!! I love this so much! It made me smile, a lot!!!! Again thank you so much! I loved the idea of the smells, especailly the one of her husband and then the end line that he said. Thank you so much again!!!!!!!!! ~Lariren

Cheryl -- I didn't mind at all that your drabble grew and grew. Every bit of it was delightful. You're welcome! I have to thank Liz for helping me trim it down to even that! Glad you enjoyed it...I enjoyed writing it. It's been a while. Cheryl

Oh Liz! Now I'm blushing!! Thank you for the compliment (I needed that today). Your drabble was great! I especially love the last line. The admission that nothing fair could come from claiming the ring is SO Faramir! Kudos to you! And thank you Elana for suggesting this theme. It is a fantastic one with lots of possibilities!! Cheers, Vistula The holidazed Ranger from the North Pole

What happens after this moment, I leave to your imagination. Suddenly seeing the suspicious look in the horseman's eye, Sam jumps up and knocks him off his horse with a frying pan! Just my opinion! LOL!! Sorry...I lurk back to my cave now. Very nicely done! Vistula The holidazed Ranger from the North Pole

A Shieldmaiden, Tempted Boy is Sam busy in Edoras...yeesh! LOL!! I loved this one too...so many wonderful drabbles today, I might just get out of my grinchy mood!! Cheers! Vistula The holidazed Ranger from the North Pole

Oops! New thread, please!

Whoops! Please post all December drabbles and requests in the new thread. Thanks! Always, Allie

"Elana wanted to see our favourite characters being tempted by the Ring. I don't think I can compete with Vistula's terrific drabble about Sam and his guilt over beconing master of Bag End, but I naturally had to tackle Faramir. (I'll admit I cheated a bit, since I already used some of these ideas in a story.) And is it canoncal or not? Well, I see temptation in the book, even if some others don't. Happy Birthday! Cheers, Liz Wise enough The armies of the Enemy flee before him; his father hails him as the saviour of Gondor, embracing him warmly in front of the people. He moves among happy families celebrating harvest home: barns and byres filled with the bounty of the wide, well-tilled acres of Ithilien. He kneels to give fealty, under a white-blossomed tree, while ambassadors from Harad and Rhûn, Khand and Dunland watch. Only make a simple thrust or two with his sword…. No! Would he save what he held most dear if nothing would grow fair or bear fruit or flower again without the Enemy’s taint?" There are too many great drabbles here for me to keep up with, but this one is terrific and I had to say so. Good job, Liz. I like Faramir's thoughts of the blooming of Gondor and Ithilien... Btw, I always thought Faramir was tempted, however briefly, by the Ring that Frodo carried. RAKSHA THE DEMON

So many wonderful drabbles! Jay - I enjoyed peeking into Legolas's mind. I like how the very thoughts he uses to push the Ring's temptation away get twisted. Tanaqui - I definately think Faramir feeling temptation is canonical. How could he not, when there are things he wants so much that the Ring can offer him? The wisdom comes not in not feeling temptation, but in seeing through it to the actual hollowness of its promises. As of course Faramir does. Aliana - I liked the AU! I was hoping some people would take the opportunity to explore other characters. The advantage of a drabble is that you really don't have to set up the whole situation in a plausible manner. Just the person and the Ring is enough. Annmarwalk - I don't know, can I see Eowyn seducing Frodo to get the ring? Maybe, or maybe she would fight him for it. Sam would definately have to defend him, either way. Vistula - I've been thinking about and planning what to ask for since last March when the forum started. I'm glad this request has inspired so much great creativity! Thanks so much, everyone! This is fun! Now I'm waiting to see if anybody goes way AU and give me some First Agers. I wonder what Feanor would make of the Ring....? Elana

Elana wrote: Now I'm waiting to see if anybody goes way AU and give me some First Agers. I wonder what Feanor would make of the Ring....? Ooo... My Feanor!muse is already awake; maybe he'll tell me what he'd do with that ring! (Yes, I'm saying this and I just broke the rule, by posting this, I know!) People! Please post all drabbles and requests and responses in the new thread! Always, Allie

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum