Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: July 2004 Birthdays - 3

July 2004 Birthdays - 3

At the request of Dwim on the original thread, I'm starting a new one.

Did we kill it?

No, no no— 'e's resting. ;)

Blame Éomer: he doesn't want to talk to me, wretched horseboy!

So THAT's where he went! He was visiting here with me for a while, but he up and disappeared. Left me with a partially finished Six Legged challenge entry no less!

Haven't drabbled in a while myself. I'll have to look around myself and see if the muses are agreeable.
Cheryl

edit: Thought I'd add the list of Birthday requests to this thread so they're easily accessable.

July 4—melian elven: in honor of my namesake, i'd love to read something with melian in it, especially her relationship with her daughter luthien. i've often wondered how she would've been as a mother to the most beautiful being on middle earth.

July 6—Vulgarweed: What's a "normal" "day" in the life like for Yavanna, or Tulkas, or Melian, or Olorin? Does Aule ever want to pitch his tools out the "window"? What about the Brothers M and the first and worst case of sibling rivalry EVAH? Or that weird trio of the waters?

Of course, Istari and Balrogs count. (And what is Tom Bombadil, anyway? Is he one? What about Ungoliant?)

Reverence and irreverence both welcome. And erotica, too (het or slash or both); bonus points for integration with matters theological.

Note: I'll be out of the country for the first two weeks of the month and don't know how regular my internet access will be (probably not very), so late is especially OK and feedback may not be instantaneous and I apologize in advance for that.

July 12—Marta: I want something in some way involving a dwarf. There are so many great moments involving Dwarves, and I'd love to see a moment involving one of them. If you can include Bilbo, that's even better.

Failing that, I will be predictable. I also wouldn't say no to something involving pre-Ring War Denethor.

NewJuly 18—Cheryl (litheslayer/Mirwen Amruniel): If I can... could it be about Legolas and I (as in my Elvish persona,
Mîrwen Amrúniel, as seen in my signature)? *sheepish grin*

July 21—Aramel: In Singapore, where I stayed for a time, July 21 was racial harmony day. Thus, I humbly ask for something about Legolas and Gimli and their friendship.

Or if that's a bit hard, an Éowyn fic would be highly appreciated too.

July 22—RubyGamgee: I request Samwise. If you can deliver him, I will be more than just glad. I will be a pleased person, a delighted daydreamer, a giddy girl and a very happy hobbit lover!

July 24—ErinRua: I would be ever so pleased if someone would drabble - not to be entirely predictable - Eomer and/or Faramir. Both of them together would be very especially wonderful, as I find them an interesting pair of brothers-in-law. You know you want to. No slash, please.

July 27—AfterEver: I've been feeling uncharacteristically romantic, and pondering the 'love at first sight' phenomenon in M-e. Happened to Thingol and Melian, Elrond and Celebrian, Aragorn and Arwen (well, first sight for him, more like the second for her), to name a few.

So, I'd humbly request drabbles depicting these beloved couples falling in love at first sight, if anyone is inclined. Eroticism is not required, but far be it for me to complain.

July 27—New—Alawa: I’d love to have something Aragorn and Halbarad – or Aragorn and Denether – or something to feed my pyre and beacon obsession

July 30—Sigil Galen: If anyone would take the time to write something featuring predominantly Eomer and Legolas, I'd just be PICKLED TINK! Failing that, something with Beleg (Cuthalion, that is) would be unutterably wonderful. Just the thought makes me happy

For ErinRua: Faramir and Eomer

Happy almost Birthday! The Twitch The twitch! She makes him twitch! She turns away a moment and there it is! He cocks his head to the left and his right hand fiddles with his collar. She turns back and he is again a king among men. I remember the twitch from his eighteenth year; when he was sent on a visit Minas Tirith. Boromir and I took it upon ourselves to lend him guidance on matters perhaps less than courtly. He twitched at first; meeting the learned ladies and having their attentions. Now my little cousin speaks to him and it starts again? Methinks her long black hair unnerves him more than the black gates. For the most part he holds himself calm and steady, like soldier at inspection, all gravity of bearing. But the twitch! Let me leave before I laugh, and to my wife I shall grant right of jesting upon her brother. Blue Iris

Re: July Babies--Continued

Did we kill it? I did it! I'm a thread killer, I tell you. Back in the third week of the Writer's Circle, I stopped a thread dead in it's tracks. 58 posts the week before, exactly 3 that week. (Just joking. Sort of.) You watch. Nobody else will post here for another week. Of course, you're welcome to prove me wrong. Elana

To Avon

Children of Aulë Strong you will be, strong and unyielding: strong in friendship and in muscles. Strong you will need to be: strong enough to work alongside me with metal, fire and stone: strong enough to face the power of Melkor. Loyal I will make you too, and hardy, for you are my children and I would have you live long lives and love truly. You will toil without tiring, just as I do: and I will teach you all my skills and crafts. Together we will make this land more beauteous than ever was – but first I must create you, my children. Thank you so much - this is lovely (and frightening if you consider what Aule almost later had to do). Thank you so much! (And doesn't this work for Marta's present as well? )

To Dwimordene

Interminable In that one moment, he had glimpsed the possibility of ceaseless novelty, of ecstatic drama fit to empty oneself for. The promise of all, and all within his grasp would he but bend his will toward it for an instant of that which made and was novelty, time. Time. Gravity without grace. That ill-marked instant begat all others–presence unending of the unbearable. He hated the light as he hated the darkness for the truth that composed him. Thus each day dawned the same–a mockery of eternal constancy, that said only and forever: I defy, else I am not! Wow. Thank you so much! This is chilling: there's a real horror to immortality and godlike power, isn't there? Very sympathetic, in its way.

To Forodwaith

Farewell "Your task may be complete, Olorin, but I was not sent to Elves and Men only, nor the beasts and birds. I must take thought for all that grows and is green." "Then you will never be finished, until this world is made anew." Radagast shrugged. "I shall be satisfied if I help to preserve something worth remaking. The Elves are departing, and the Men who remain hew and hunt and harvest with little thought for tomorrow and none for the day of their children's children. I must do what I can to teach them otherwise. Did you not say yourself that you would not wholly fail, if anything survived to grow fair or bear fruit again?" "Do as you must; but I shall miss you, brother," the grey wizard said. "Take my greetings to Valinor with you, and tell my lady that I still work to fulfill her charge." Thank you! This is such a concise little short story, and I agree with its premise 100%. (He better still be here! We need him now more than ever!) Thank you thank you!

To Azalais

Olorin I was in my Youth In the West that is Forgotten "...Gandalf's grumpy, as usual." Peregrin's plaintive tones drift over. Without fire all are chilled, even stoic Dwarf and lighthearted Elf, and the damp is in my joints. Yet as I shift to ease my sore back memory flares, briefly... once I was not bound in weary bone and chafed flesh, but made of fire and air, follower in the train of the Lord of Eagles, alive in endless Music... The thought flickers, vanishes, in a flash. "Forgive me, Pippin. I am but an old man, and my knees ache." I sigh heavily, and reach into my cloak for my pipe. Thank you! Yes, a day in the life all right! One tends to think of his big sacrifices (like his death and return) but not the small, constant one of being in the state he's in. And trying to stay cheerful about it, but actually being a bit grumpy (so very human after all, wearing his costume so well). Thank you!

Re: To Avon

(And doesn't this work for Marta's present as well? ) Well, it is going to have to - all drabble inspiration has deserted me and my desk is littered with 1/4 dwarf drabbles ;-) I'm not even suceeding with the birthday requests for characters I like! *wails* Avon

Re: To Azalais

Thank you! Yes, a day in the life all right! One tends to think of his big sacrifices (like his death and return) but not the small, constant one of being in the state he's in. And trying to stay cheerful about it, but actually being a bit grumpy (so very human after all, wearing his costume so well). Thank you! Trying to stay cheerful - but at the same time, I suspect, beginning to forget over the centuries what it felt like to be a non-embodied Maia, as his bodily clothing becomes part of him. So that full memory only returns in flashes like this one. And grumpiness is so much part of Gandalf, isn't it? I'd love to know whether Olorin was ever tetchy or whether it's purely the rheumatic knees and the aches and pains that get him down... Glad you liked it!

For Aramel

Because it's usually beyond me to write non-angst... Dirge On the morning air it came again—Elves singing grief. Uncomfortably alone by their pavillions, Elf and Dwarf glanced up. And Legolas grew still as stone, listening, til a shudder passed through him. Gimli raised a brow: "Don't you like it?" "No. Melody catches not Mithrandir; 'tis dead memory," he replied, and turned bright eyes on him. Strangely hesitant, that look, but more strange still the request: "Will you not sing?" "I?" Gimli frowned. Dwarves have many songs for hard days, but to sing for outsiders...? "Please," said Legolas quietly. After a long moment, Gimli stood, and began to chant... ****** Happy birthday, Aramel!

Re: To Dwimordene

Wow. Thank you so much! You're welcome. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your travels. This is chilling: there's a real horror to immortality and godlike power, isn't there? Godlike power and immortality, when set to the wrong ends, are corrupted in their own way, even as lesser things are. The corruption, I think, would be worse because Meldor threw much more away than any embodied being could have. Very sympathetic, in its way. In its way, yes, that's what I aimed for. I'm glad you liked it!

Did we kill it? No, no no— 'e's resting. ;) Blame Éomer: he doesn't want to talk to me, wretched horseboy! ROTFLMAO!!! *snerk* Now, now, I did say Eomer and/or Faramir. If Eomer's too busy galloping into sunsets or something, maybe you can catch our fair Steward at something a little less vigorous. *G* Of course I'm begging for drabbles - you guys are good! Cheers ~ Erin

Re: For ErinRua: Faramir and Eomer

Happy almost Birthday! The Twitch BUAHAHAHAHA! Oh, Blue Iris, I love this! It's so unexpected and so fun and so ... brotherly! *chortles gleefully* This is simply terrific - and it seems entirely in character that Faramir would savor his glee quietly, but will be sure to tell Eowyn so *she* can have the pleasure of deviling poor Eomer later! LOL! Heehee, Eomer is falling in looove, neener neener neener. *G* Thank you for such a fun and clever drabble! *HUGS!* ~ Erin

For Aramel

For Aramel, a blessed day and something of Legolas and Gimli's friendship. :-) The Whole of the Tale ~ For Aramel Forty-two, Gimli claimed, and cursed the orc whose iron collar had notched his ax. Forty-two and he had bested an elven warrior's skill, albeit by only one. Yet in the clear light of dawn, amidst battle's wrack, elf and dwarf greeted each other in joy. Strange perhaps they seemed to watching eyes, unlikely and unmatched. One stood lithe as a tall white birch and the other blunt as stone. "Glad am I to see you on your legs!" Legolas cried. T'was the greeting of warrior-to-warrior. Nonetheless, in their faces shone the whole of the tale: the greeting of brother-to-brother. ~ Erin

For Ruby Gamgee

Erks, I'm sort of the only one here just now - please don't beat me! *G* Anywho, RubyGamgee requested Samwise, and lo and behold, our humble hobbit paid me a visit! This is Sam speaking, and I've never written Sam before, so I hope this will please you. And yes, I'm a day early but knowing my memory ... A Happy -pre-birthday to you!. THE GARDEN OF SAMWISE - for RubyGamgee Life's a bit like gardening, you see. Everything starts from the beginning. First, a seed and soil, then a sprout, and you watch careful as anything so it grows right. But it don't always; sometimes birds or frost or other things destroy the sprout and you have to start over again. But that's just it. You start over. There's always something to start from. There's always at least one seed. You plant it, and you go on. And if someone else can't, why, you plant for them. You tend their garden. Everyone needs a bit of garden for their own. ~*~ Cheers ~ Erin

I’m not sure precisely what Nahar, Oromë’s horse, is, but I think he fits Vulgarweed’s request. Happy Belated Birthday! Another Day, Another Fight I neigh in triumph as we hew down our final opponent. Stepping clear of the mangled body, I wipe my golden hooves to remove the caustic blood. “There are more of the foul things each time we ride!” Oromë growls. “Why will Manwë not heed me? Shall the Children awake to desolation and evil?” I ignore the familiar rant; there are yet monsters to hunt. Our battles will aid more than arguing with the stiff-necked Lord of the Valar. But my partner does not agree, and so we turn back to Valinor, where another shouting match will no doubt ensue. ~Wolfwind

Another For Aramel

Happy Birthday! I do love Legolas and Gimli, but Eowyn's speaking to me louder at the moment... Good Authority “Which would you prefer?” she asks, placing a hand over her rounded belly. “A boy, or a girl?” Across the room, he peers over the top of his book. “Either would please me very well, my dear.” “Really!” She, alone, can detect when he is hesitant. “None of your careful diplomacy, sir!” “Very well,” he laughs. “A girl, then. I have it on good authority that boys are nothing but trouble.” A pause. “Yes,” she smiles, “girls are far less difficult.” He follows her gaze to the object that hangs above their hearth: one fragment of a shattered shield. *** Cheers, Ali

July Drabble for Aramel -- Legolas and Gimli

In Singapore, where I stayed for a time, July 21 was racial harmony day. Thus, I humbly ask for something about Legolas and Gimli and their friendship. Here you are, Aramel, a budding friendship drabble, one that I was compelled to write instead of doing what I am supposed to be doing... - Barbara P.S. And where I live, there's still two hours left of July 21! Earth and Sky "Come, Gimli, we must fly!" His anguished keening doesn't abate as I drag him from his prostration beside Balin's tomb and outside the dread-full carnage chamber. Can it be that this squat, sturdy stranger feels grief as keenly as we Elves? I begin to comprehend -- the dead were not merely his people, the sons of Aulë, but his kinsfolk and his friends, and his bereavement stabs my very heart. His axe is as black-drenched in orc blood as my long-knife, but his rock-solid heart bleeds blood red as mine. I pray the Valar spare my fellow warrior any more loss.

Re: July Drabble for ErinRua - Eomer

For ErinRua ~ Happy Birthday!!! ---------------- Lady in Waiting It was time. The wedding feast had ended merrily. The attendants departed, their laughter fading from the changing room. Lothíriel trembled as she stepped over the threshold. He lay before the hearth upon the rugs, the firelight caressing his golden hair and sun-burnt skin. Her eyes dipped to the curve of his hip where the blanket had slipped away. She was surprised to find an expanse of flesh not kissed by the elements, but it pleased her to know he still had territory she could claim for her own. Fair of form indeed -- her husband. “Come,” he smiled at her, “be not afraid.” She knelt beside him, shivering: not from fear, but from desire. “It will hurt a little,” he caressed her cheek with a callused palm. “I wish it were not so.” She swallowed hard, tilting her chin. “I am made of strong stock,” she replied. His laughter broke in waves over her. “Think you that is why I married you?” She turned away. “My lord, do not tease me. I-I do not know,” she stammered. With gentle fingers, he stroked her cheek, returning her gaze to his. “Then know this, Lothíriel of Dol Amroth. I love you.” ----------------- Lady Aranel this is somewhat edited since I first posted it at 5am. Someone please remind me, coffee first, then drabble!

For RubyGamgee

For Ruby, on her birthday, a tribble (triple drabble). Dwim Strange Bedfellows "I don't know that I shall be able to sleep," Pippin had complained. "That cry froze my blood!" Despite the fright of the afternoon, though, both he and Merry were fast asleep, along with an exhausted Frodo. Sam, however, stood amid the dull thickets, chewing on his lip as he pondered the back of their guide. He was glad the others were asleep, for he thought it would be better to say his piece in private. As private as it gets out here, he amended to himself, wondering how he should begin. At length, though, he shook off stillness and moved to join the Ranger. Strider's eyes cut to him an instant, but other than a spare nod, he gave no greeting. Sam sighed. "Look, Mr. Strider," he said after a moment, "you've got to admit, it's a bit much to ask a fellow to think all's well after you've up and gone into the night after those Black Riders, when Mr. Frodo's hurt and all. Mind, I'm still not sure about you, but you've done right by us so far it seems and if we ever reach Rivendell, I'll be first to say 'thank you' and 'I'm sorry'. But we've a long ways still, I think." Strider sat silently, but Sam thought he saw the corners of his mouth twitch. At length: "We have, indeed, a long road still, and while we're on it, best to keep your sword to hand." "Right then," Sam replied, satisfied that they understood each other. As he turned away, though, to go and check Frodo once more, Strider spoke again: "If fortune is with us, I should be glad to see the end of our road in Rivendell." After a moment's consideration, Sam replied, softly but earnestly: "Bless me, but so would I!" ***** note: This is set just after they leave Weathertop and cross into the thicketed area south of the Road.

Re: For RubyGamgee

Dwim and Erin, The best b'day present is to have Samwise first thing in the morning. Thank you both for my drabbles. Now, if only the rest of the day would be as sunny. Thank you again! RubyG

For ErinRua ~ Happy Birthday!!! ---------------- Lady in Waiting I already replied on the HA group, but I'll reply here and just say ... THANK YOU! This is just so incredibly beautiful, such lucious visuals - LOL, and it even involves Eomer on a rug! Oh, what a delight - yes, and more than a trifle warmish! *G* Ice cubes, here I come! I also go all swoony over the idea of Eomer and Lothiriel in love, since I can't imagine Eomer marrying for any lesser reason - he's a man with his heart forever on his sleeve, so this ... Mmm, this is delicious. This will now forever be my vision of their wedding night! *G* Thank you for such delightful, sensual visuals! I'll smile all day at the image of Eomer on a rug ... :-D Thank you!!! This will be saved and treasured, along with my other B-day drabbles. {*HUGS!!!*} Going off to muse and ponder ice cubes ... ;-) Cheers ~ Erin

I already replied on the HA group, but I'll reply here and just say ... THANK YOU! This will now forever be my vision of their wedding night! *G* You are most welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much! I know it was early, but the muse must strike while the... er... rug is warm? ~Lady Aranel~

Happy Birthday, ErinRua!

I can't seem to be concise these days, so it's a ficlet instead of a drabble. Eomer and Faramir, as requested, and a bonus. A Wedding Gift Hope your birthday's a happy one, flick

For Marta

Well, it's still the right month. That's about as close as I get to "on time" these days, so here are a pair of Dwarf drabbles for you. Besieged: Thorin Offer a share to Bard and Thranduil? No. Given part, they will convince themselves that they are more deserving of the whole than are we Dwarves who made it. If skill and courage cannot gain us their respect, then I will buy it. No longer will I be the vagrant king of an impoverished people. Let them call me greedy if they wish! Our future lies piled around my feet: jewels to rebuild a home where our families can live free from want, gold to end the mindless drudgery and restore our stolen dignity. They shall have none of it! Besieged: Balin Before Smaug, I remember only fragments: Thráin's unexpectedly tender smile at my uncle's wedding (born in exile, Dwalin finds that smile unimaginable), the enameled bird whose mechanism baffled and delighted me, the little nook that held my bed. I never again felt as secure as I did resting in the mountain's embrace. Later memories are all too clear: begging for scraps behind inns that once courted our custom, the startling cold of winter aboveground, and Durin's heirs turned tinker or slaving in coal mines. Greed may have set Thorin onto this path, but it is memory that makes me follow. Happy belated birthday! Salsify

Re: Happy Birthday, ErinRua!

A Wedding Gift Hope your birthday's a happy one, flick *SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!* Wow, I get Eomer and Faramir and a beautiful horse, to boot! {*HUGS*} Hey, guys, take a look - this ficlet is so fun! I loved the guys and the gratuitious shmoop, too! I could really see the whole thing, poor Faramir trying not to brood, followed by poor Eomer trying not to trip over his tongue - *SNORK!!* Sometimes men are such dolts when it comes to matters of the heart, LOL! I could see and smell the stable scene too - and I WANT that horse! What a lovely thing - I could just see him. And I must say, gifting Faramir with the very horse Boromir rode - and lost - was a splendid, perfect twist. This ended on a real Awwww-shucks moment! Me likes! Thank You! Cheers ~ Erin

Re: Happy Birthday, ErinRua!

And I must say, gifting Faramir with the very horse Boromir rode - and lost - was a splendid, perfect twist. This ended on a real Awwww-shucks moment! Me likes! Thank You! You are most welcome. It was fun to do, and took me out of my accustomed writing territory a bit. I'll admit I did a horse for you with fear and trembling -- kind of like taking coals to Newcastle. Glad you liked it and him. :hugs: flick

Here's a Dwarf for you, Marta! Happy Birthday! "They say that Aule the Maker, whom they call Mahal, cares for them and gathers them to Mandos in halls set apart; and ... that the Seven Fathers of the Dwarves return to live again in their own kin and to bear once more their ancient names" (The Silmarillion, p. 42). The Deathless “Durin!” He tried to ignore the voice echoing through the Dwarf Halls. “Durin!” Durin slammed his tools down and glared at the interloper. “What do you want, Mahal?” His Maker took no offense at the tone; he was well acquainted with his son’s hatred of interruptions. “It is time.” “Again? Can’t my idiotic descendants manage a single century without me? And why do they always need me when I’m working?” Despite his grumbling, Durin was already putting away his tools. With a sigh of regret, he set his half-finished creation on a shelf and turned to his Father. “I’m ready.” ~Wolfwind

From Erin - for her birthday!

Greetings all ~ Well, since this is my birthday I figured I'd do the hobbit thing and give everyone here a drabble! For everyone who has been such good folks over the past couple years, to all who have encouraged me in my writing and those who have admitted me into their own creative process, here's a bit of warm fuzziness just for you. Blessings to all ~ ~ Erin ~*~ CIRCLE OF FRIENDSHIP ~ for HA from Erin He sits by the hearth with his pipe in his teeth, eyes smiling. I wonder how often he will have time for that, now. Strider the king. We have come so far that sometimes I wonder if anyone will ever know the whole tale. There's Pip laughing with Legolas and Gimli, and Frodo smiling. Sam, bless him, looks almost asleep with his full belly. Gandalf is somehow more the same, but ever so different, at once. Just like Aragorn. Our king. Our friend. Maybe that's our tale. Neither foe nor Shadow nor trappings of greatness can sunder the bonds of friendship. ~~ The hobbits still remained in Minas Tirith, with Legolas and Gimli; for Aragorn was loth for the Fellowship to be dissolved. - ROTK- "The Steward and The King." ~*~

Re: From Erin - for her birthday!

Well, since this is my birthday I figured I'd do the hobbit thing and give everyone here a drabble! Now that's one heck of a nice Hobbit custom! Thank you. And here are Éomer and Faramir, as you requested. ---------- "The laws of Rohan", Éomer said loftily, "forbid the throwing of objects at the King. The penalties are severe." He closed his eyes and relaxed against the oak tree behind him with a sigh of lazy contentment. Then he opened one eye and squinted at his brother-by-marriage. "Unless of course, the objects thrown are such as the King specifically requests. A fruit from that bowl at your right would be permitted." Faramir picked up and weighed an acorn thoughtfully in his hand. "Tell me, O noble King, would this be accounted a fruit in the reckoning of Rohan?" "Not if you plan to hurl it at me, no." -------- Have a great day! cheers, Maya

Re: From Erin - for her birthday!

That's lovely Erin, thank you so much for sharing. Have a very happy birthday Cheryl

Another Day, Another Fight I neigh in triumph as we hew down our final opponent. Stepping clear of the mangled body, I wipe my golden hooves to remove the caustic blood. “There are more of the foul things each time we ride!” Oromë growls. “Why will Manwë not heed me? Shall the Children awake to desolation and evil?” I ignore the familiar rant; there are yet monsters to hunt. Our battles will aid more than arguing with the stiff-necked Lord of the Valar. But my partner does not agree, and so we turn back to Valinor, where another shouting match will no doubt ensue. ~Wolfwind Thank you so much, Wolfwind! Yes, this fits the criteria beautifully, and it's wonderful to have a different point of view. I love stories from this kind of angle, and I love Nahar's matter-of-factness. I can almost hear the shouting match already. Wonderful, and thanks again!

Hey. On the HA mailing list you probably know me as the insolent younger Cheryl (Cheryl Ann Alexis Christopher) who tormented the senior one about her advanced years. My birthdate is the 18th of July 1987. All the birthday girls seem to be getting drabbles, so could I please get one too? If I can... could it be about Legolas and I (as in Mîrwen Amrúniel, my OFC, as can be seen from my signature)? *sheepish grin* Kisses, Cheryl Mîrwen Amrúniel (Jewel Maiden, Morning Star) *Elven princess of Imladris *Daughter of Elrond and Celebrían *Sister of Elladan, Elrohir, Estel and Arwen Undómiel *Grandaughter of Eärendil and Elwing; Celeborn and Galadriel *Wedded to Legolas Greenleaf, Elven Prince of Eryn Lasgalen Legolas' Crown Princess of Lasgalen: Keeper Of Legolas' Hand in Marriage and of the Heart and Soul of Legolas' Eternal, One, True Soulmate ( www.elfcastleinthesky.tk )

Hi Cheryl, I've added your request to the list above. I do have a question, however: if I can wake the Legolas muse (which is tired, as it is usually at rest and not used to so much activity as it's gotten of late), would it be possible to use only the name of your OFC? My apologies, I just don't know if I can do a sister of Arwen—I have a hard enough time just doing Arwen the bookish nonentity, and I'm afraid I'm also a horrid purist w.r.t. new siblings. If that's acceptable, let me know and I'll see if I can get Legolas out of his hammock! And although it is naturally belated by now, I hope you had a happy birthday!

July 27—New—Alawa: I’d love to have something Aragorn and Halbarad – or Aragorn and Denether – or something to feed my pyre and beacon obsession Here you go, Alawa: (deep breath): Aragorn, Halbarad, Denethor (by namecheck), beacons, and depending how you read it just a tiny hint of pyre. (I wanted to have Aragorn and Halbarad actually see the beacons; but after beating my brains against the Tale of Years and Barbara Strachey's maps for a while, realised that on the night the beacons are lit Aragorn et al are in Dunharrow, and really can't possibly see the beacon-line from a cleft in the hills the wrong side of at least one 5000-foot peak; but it's all on the same night...) I thought I'd post this on the eve, as I know you often check in first thing in the morning; so Happy Birthday for Tuesday! Light from the Shadows Shadowfax flies onward through the night: Pippin, roused from dozing, cries out as sudden flame races from peak to mountain-peak. Gandalf broods. The beacons! Light in the darkness: yet will the flames of war kindle hope, or despair? Gondor’s Steward calls for aid – but knows not yet that Gondor’s King shall answer… At Dunharrow, three watch the Kindler’s beacons flame white in the midnight sky. Aragorn is grim-faced. “We go to war by a dark road.” Halbarad grasps his shoulder briefly: “Yet light from the shadows shall spring.” Legolas nods. “Hope burns bright even here, while you are with us.”

Oh Az! This is just beautiful! You've managed to get in everything - even a bit of Pippin, my favourite filmverse Firestarter and Denethor I really have gone all weak and wibbly - thanks so much - what a great way to start my day. AfterEver - I'm doing my best to drabble for you but it may be a while - if at all - my muses have deserted my at the moment - but I hope you have a great day! Alawa .

For Aramel

It's terribly late - I'd run out of drabble inspiration or something - but here finally is my effort at Legolas and Gimli friendship. Mithril and Oak He looks as delicate as the faint traceries of mithril that shine in walls far underground, yet, like that metal, his strength is beyond testing. He shines with that same unearthly beauty too – fairer than anything else on earth. Mithril fair and mithril strong is my friend the Elf. He has all the solid strength of an oak: deep-rooted, immovable and long-growing. Unyielding he can seem, yet, like the oak, a living warmth beats through him. I find a beauty in him - as in a gnarled and rough-barked oak. Oak hardy and oak strong is my friend the Dwarf Avon

I really have gone all weak and wibbly - thanks so much - what a great way to start my day. Crumbs - it obviously hit the spot! Glad you liked it, and hope you've had a lovely day. Az

Hey Dwim. Of course! I don't mind at all... I'm just happy to be getting a drabble in the first place I thought it would too late, see... my birthday being quite a few days past and all... Pardon my terminal stupidity, but pray tell what a 'horrid purist w.r.t new siblings' is. And, don't worry about it. As I've said before, I was one of those people who despised siblings that that were never in the novels and now I'm one of the gang. Sigh. Hook line and sinker. The irony of it all. Oh, and thanks! My 17th birthday was incredibly dull though (no LOTR related gifts). Kisses, Cheryl Mîrwen Amrúniel (Jewel Maiden, Morning Star) *Elven princess of Imladris *Daughter of Elrond and Celebrían *Sister of Elladan, Elrohir, Estel and Arwen Undómiel *Grandaughter of Eärendil and Elwing; Celeborn and Galadriel *Wedded to Legolas Greenleaf, Elven Prince of Lasgalen Legolas' Crown Princess of Lasgalen: Keeper Of Legolas' Hand in Marriage and of the Heart and Soul of Legolas' Eternal, One, True Soulmate

For Alawa

For Alawa, in an effort to satisfy her pyromania, Denethor-, Halbarad-, and Aragorn-obsessions. A very happy birthday to you! Charity They went to no tomb. Denethor, despising fate, had rejoiced. Halbarad would've cared little—what Ranger cares for his own flesh so? But men not yet corpses have their needs—the Grey Company laments as flames roar. Mayhap fire's fitting, Aragorn, watching, thinks. Stewards serve all indifferently; therefore let the wind be as generous dispersing their ashes. The thought's not uncomforting, and comfort's needed: smoke rises still from Rath Dînen. But there's yet no king in Gondor—hard judgments can wait. Thus Aragorn will be as indifferent-generous as the funerary dust: unto death they served; let none look further today. ******* Cheryl, Excellent. I'll go see if I can spill Legolas from his hammock. "Horrid purist w.r.t. siblings"=I don't do well with newly invented siblings of canonicals, when all sibs have been accounted for. But we'll see what I can do... And AE and Erin: pick something harder, why don't you? ;) Working on drabbles for both of you, but a) Éomer still doesn't want to talk to me, and b) this love at first sight business baffles me, too!

Re: For Aramel

Avon, that's lovely! I particularly liked this line:I find a beauty in him - as in a gnarled and rough-barked oak. It made me think of all the lovely, fascinating trees on the bike path a mile or two from my house.

Re: For Alawa

Dwim wrote: And AE and Erin: pick something harder, why don't you? ;) Working on drabbles for both of you, but a) Éomer still doesn't want to talk to me, and b) this love at first sight business baffles me, too! ROTFL! Poor Dwim! Well, if Eomer is eluding you, maybe Faramir's love of words would bring him to whisper to you, instead? This group has made me awful fond of our young steward Agree on the love thing - AE, I'll try, but this is gonna be a toughie! LOL! Cheers ~ Erin *who seems to be on a mission to write b-day drabbles this month!*

For Alawa - anudder one

For Alawa's birthday, a little something with Aragorn and Halbarad! May your day be joyous and your year blessed. Hope you enjoy! Cheers ~ Erin ~*~ BEYOND THE DOOR ~ For Alawa Evil things move in these darkening days. We feel them pressing near, those grim shades that fill the paths behind us. I know, however, my death lies not within this mountain, but beyond. He comes now in his silent tread, my comfort and my doom, steadfast as the stones that swallow us. His warm hand settles on my shoulder, and his eyes are bright as stars. "Fear no darkness, Halbarad." "I shall fear nothing, lord, while you lead us." For I have seen beyond Shadow to a noble white tree standing triumphant in bloom. For me, death holds no terrors. ~*~

Crumbs - it obviously hit the spot! Glad you liked it, and hope you've had a lovely day. It did - and I still am And I forgot to say how clever you are to sneak a little Legolas in there as well Alawa

For Alawa, in an effort to satisfy her pyromania, Denethor-, Halbarad-, and Aragorn-obsessions. A very happy birthday to you! I fear I may be insatiable, but this is a valiant attempt. Hmm - I think you might know how to press my buttons – “And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.” And for Halbarad “There is no greater love than this, that a man lay down his live for his friend”. I guess Aragorn could do nothing less than honour the death of his friend this way. I like the way the grief expressed is kind of grey and muted like the falling, floating ash – just right for members of the Grey Company - and the way you pan out to encompass all the Stewards, not just Denethor. Thanks so much, Dwim for my lovely present! Alawa

And I forgot to say how clever you are to sneak a little Legolas in there as well Hey, you know me. Always a few spare words for the Fangirls' Favourite Elf Aren't you getting some fab drabbles? I love Erin's! Az

Re: For Alawa - anudder one

His warm hand settles on my shoulder, and his eyes are bright as stars. Erin, that's simply gorgeous. Lucky Alawa! (but we can all enjoy them, that's the best thing about these birthday drabbles...) Az

Erin – that’s so lovely! Sorry not to respond earlier – I’ve been out indulging my pyromania at a BBQ Yay though I walk in the shadow of death …. seems I can’t get away from Biblical resonance at the moment – that and Eric Clapton “Beyond the door, there’s peace I’m sure.” *Big happy sigh* Thanks so much, you always seem to write so simply and from the heart - though I know it takes a lot of skill to make it seem that way. Alawa

Lucky Alawa! (but we can all enjoy them, that's the best thing about these birthday drabbles...) Indeed I am a lucky, lucky girl!! Maybe it's the nature of the subject matter that brings out such beautiful results. Thanks for all the good wishes as well, Alawa

For Alawa

Alawa asked: I’d love to have something Aragorn and Halbarad –– or something to feed my pyre and beacon obsession You are likely the reason I ever wrote a second time – and you know I couldn’t resist a Halbarad request. A slightly different use of your requested symbols…. At The End Of The Tunnel It was not the door that kept men from entering the paths, but the wall. Ice, fear, darkness - they squeezed a mans heart at the thought of that first step, into the unknown. But we were no ordinary men. Bone and blood formed in north, we understood these things, and knew they could be faced. If any man could hold up a light for them to follow, the men of the north would not falter. Last of the old blood, we stared into the abyss, saw our truth, and held aloft our light - the flame of his beacon; my pyre. --fileg

Vulgarweed - I'm glad you liked your drabble. I really like Nahar; he's on my list of "things to write more about someday." Aramel, I'm not very good at Legolas and Gimli, but I've given it a shot. Happy Birthday! Khuzdul “I will never understand your tongue.” Legolas laughed. “Perhaps we spend too much time on it. Why don't you teach me your language instead?” Gimli halted. Such a thought had never occurred to him, despite the amount of time Legolas had spent teaching him Sindarin. Elvish was changeful, spoken by all; Dwarves preserved the tongue Mahal gave them in secret. It had been an Age since any foreigner learned Khuzdul. But this was Legolas, who had named him Elvellon. Dwarves had no equivalent title, but teaching him Khuzdul would give him the same status. “We call ourselves Khazad,” he began. ~Wolfwind

Hi fileg, Re At The End Of The Tunnel - I have replied in the new thread. Alawa

I didn't get a drabble last year *pauses and then bursts into hysterical banshee-like bawling* so I'm thinking that my request was a tad unfavourable... Perhaps if I change the topic just to 'Legolas' someone might oblige me this year? Hmm? Pretty please? *looks up hopefully* I was born on 18th of July 1987. Hence, I will be 18 on the 18th. Mwahaha... *sorry... a wee bit high on chocolates* Hallelujah. About time. I'm finally of age to go clubbing... Kisses, Cheryl Ann Alexis Mîrwen Amrúniel (Jewel Maiden, Morning Star) *Elven princess of Imladris *Daughter of Elrond and Celebrían *Sister of Elladan, Elrohir, Estel and Arwen Undómiel *Grandaughter of Eärendil and Elwing; Celeborn and Galadriel *Wedded to Legolas Greenleaf, Elven Prince of Eryn Lasgalen Legolas' Crown Princess of Lasgalen: Keeper Of Legolas' Hand in Marriage and of the Heart and Soul of Legolas' Eternal, One, True Soulmate ( www.elfcastleinthesky.tk )

Re: July Babies--Better Late Than Never

Well, Mirwen...'tis better late than never, I always say! hands her a handkerchief...gives chocolate and a hug Happy veeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyy late birthday, my dear! Cheers! Vistula ~~~~~ The First Time “M’lady?” The prince bowed, flawlessly, extending a hand. He was elegant, refined, his every movement the whisper of wind through the trees – the glow of moonbeams on sparkling water. The very nearness of him threw her heart into frantic beating, as if some caged bird fought within her to be free. Shyly, she smiled – lowering her delicate eyelashes in nervousness as he led her to an open area beneath the stretching bows. Cheeks flushed pink with fear and excitement she trembled in his arms, while the music swelled. “Do not fear, Lady Mirwen, the first dance is always the hardest.”

Re: July Babies--Better Late Than Never

Oh dear GOD!!! I nearly had heart palpitations and did a SQUEEEE worthy of Arandil when I saw this! *hugs Vistula* MY FIRST DRABBLE!!!! And about the Great Golden One and me too! Thank you so very very much, babe! *hugs her again* You've totally made my day. I shall worship thee for eternity. Hey, that rhymed, didn't it? LOL. Hmm... *pushes away Mars bar* Oh, this is absolutely FANTABULOUS!! *dances away with afore-mentioned Golden One* Kisses, Cheryl Ann Alexis Mîrwen Amrúniel (Jewel Maiden, Morning Star) *Elven princess of Imladris *Daughter of Elrond and Celebrían *Sister of Elladan, Elrohir, Estel and Arwen Undómiel *Grandaughter of Eärendil and Elwing; Celeborn and Galadriel *Wedded to Legolas Greenleaf, Elven Prince of Eryn Lasgalen Legolas' Crown Princess of Lasgalen: Keeper Of Legolas' Hand in Marriage and of the Heart and Soul of Legolas' Eternal, One, True Soulmate ( www.elfcastleinthesky.tk )

July Babies--Continued

Hello. I did join HASA a looong time ago, but logged in only once. I have decided to come back here as I enjoy the mailing list too much to stay away. I am a July Baby. July 28th as the case may be. I hope this is the right palce to post for the requests for drabbles. Ah well. I would like to see a drabble involving Glorfindel and Gondolin. Anybody willing to do this for me when July appears...as it is quite a few months away and the new 2005 loist hasn't yet appeared?

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum