Forum: Languages in Arda

Discussing: "Black" name for Gondorrim?

"Black" name for Gondorrim?

I have a vague memory that somewhere in the books is a name that the easterlings or southrons or orcs or someone use for the Gondorrim, but I'm having no luck finding it. Strike any bells? Thanks, Elemmíre

Re: Black name for Gondorrim

Hi Elemmire I think the word you want is tark, which is explained in this passage from Appendix F:
So it was that in the Third Age Orcs used for communication between breed and breed the Westron tongue; and many indeed of the older tribes, such as those that still lingered in the North and in the Misty Mountains had long used the Westron as their native language, though in such a fashion as to make it hardly less unlovely than Orkish. In this jargon tark, ‘man of Gondor’ was a debased form of tarkil, a Quenya word used in Westron for one of Númenorean descent. See [The Return of the King, LoTR Book 6, Ch 1, The Tower of Cirith Ungol]
By the way, Tolkien always seems to call them Gondorians and not Gondorrim. (Don't ask me why, it's one of JRRT's strange quirks.) HTH Cheers, LIz (PS: it's also best not to put quote marks in a forum post subject line, as HASA interprets them as part of the HTML and strips out the subject line completely.)

Re: Black name for Gondorrim

Thanks, that's what I was looking for

Elemmíre 

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

We're sorry. This is a closed discussion. Content is available only to invited readers.

« Back to Languages in Arda