Forum: Letters of JRRT

Discussing: Anyone with 'the Letters of JRRT' - Urgent help needed! =o

Anyone with 'the Letters of JRRT' - Urgent help needed! =o

I need page numbers. Fast. For these letters and their quotes:

To Michael Straight (drafts): ‘The Incarnation of God is an infinitely greater thing than anything I would dare to write.’

A letter to C. Ouboter, Voorhoeve en Dietrich, Rotterdam: ‘… in such a process inevitably one’s own taste, ideas, and beliefs get taken up.’

Notes on W.H. Auden’s review of the Return of the King: ‘The Eldar [elves] and the Númenóreans [Men] believed in The One, the true God, and held worship of any other person an abomination. Sauron desired to be a God-king, and was held to be this by his servants…’

To Peter Hastings (draft): ‘He was given an opportunity of repentance… but could not face the humiliation of repentance…’

Please please please PLEASE can somebody take a little time to help a random Internet person... er... friend in need? I will be so, so grateful.

Re: Anyone with 'the Letters of JRRT' - Urgent help needed! =o

I have something better for you, I think.

Here's a LINK

Cheers,
Juno

I needed the page numbers for referencing, but thanks anyway!

Hi, Luthien

Here are some page numbers for the quotes, followed in parens by the pages for the whole letter from which they are taken:

Straight p 237 (232-237)

Ouboter p. 267 (267)

Auden p. 243 (238-44)

Hastings p. 190 (187-96)

Hope this helps!

Gandalfs apprentice 

As there are different editions of the "Letters" with varying page numbers, you should not use page numbers for referencing, just like with all other LOTR sources. There are simply too many different editions out there. If you use page numbers for reference, chances are that your readers will never find where you quoted from.

I'd suggest quoting with letter title and number. That way your readers will find the relevant text even if they use a copy that has different page numbers than the one you used.

Cheers,
Juno

Thanks for page numbers, Gandalf's apprentice! Juno, thanks for pointing that out. I'm including the edition that I used in the bibliography (the 2000 Houghton Mifflin one) just in case people do happen to have that edition, and also using the letter numbers/title thing.

The page numbers I sent you are from Houghton Mifflin 1981.

G.A. 

No worries. I can change it.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Letters of JRRT