Forum: FAQs - Post your questions here

Discussing: Question about where a story is in the Review process

Question about where a story is in the Review process

Hi guys; I hope this is an appropriate place to post this question:

I submitted a story for Review back at the beginning of February. I wasn't expecting a quick decision at all, because it was a very long story - in fact I was half-expecting to get to the end of the 45-day period by which the FAQs say a story has to have collected 9 reviews or be taken out, and be told that the story hadn't garnered nine reviews and would have to be de-submitted. (And that would've been fine - as I say, it's quite a committing thing to review!)

However, I now calculate that over 45 days have passed since I saw the story first appear as "In Review" on the My Stories list, and I've had no word either way, nor is it under "Pending Stories".

The other thing I'm not quite clear about from the FAQs is whether, when I've put a story in for Review, it would appear to me on the review list (given that, obviously, I can't review it myself - but the FAQ "My story is gone from the review list, but I don't see it anywhere. What happened?" does seem to imply that normally authors would see their stories on the review list).  I've looked at the Review list at least once a week, often more frequently, in the period since I submitted the story in question  (as I do quite a bit of reviewing myself) and at no point have I seen it on that list.

I totally understand that both making a story available for review, and receiving 9 reviews, can take a long time (especially when it's a novel-length fic!) so this is in no way a complaint - I'm just a little confused about where/if I ought to be able to see it and how I can tell where it is in the process.  Thanks!

Re: Question about where a story is in the Review process

Hi Az,

Your question is appropriate here, though I can't give terribly detailed answers to your specific case.

The 45 day limit is to ensure that no story ends up in permanent review limbo. You're counting your days very closely as the story you are probably referring to only hit day 46 today.  Patience! Grin Our review admin will check your story the next time she logs in.

Um, I suspect the FAQ on story visibility  is out of date since the last site upgrade. Sorry! I try not to show people things they can't click on or view. I'm not very good for testing these things as I have complete visibility into that page. I'll check the code when I get a chance and see if either the code isn't working correctly or the FAQ entry needs updating.

One thing that does happen if a story goes past the 45 day limit is the review admin checks the number of completed reviews. If 5 or more decisions have been submitted that concur on a review decision (Accept/Decline), but the story lacks 9 completed reviews, she can add neutral reviews (neither Approve nor Decline) to bring the total up to 9 and allow the story to be processed, rather than ending the review and forcing a resubmit.

Long stories do take a long time to review. If we hit 45 days and the story has not garnered 9 reviews, we'll usually ask the author what she would like to do. If a story lacks say 1 or 2 reviews, the author may want to stick it out another week and see what happens. If there is a clear decision, as discussed in the previous paragraph, the story can pushed through. If there are not enough reviews for a decision and no review has been posted for a long time, then we usually advise canceling the review.

For specific answers to this particular review, you can always use the Contact form (link in the top right-hand corner of every page) and select "Reviews" as the email topic, then ask whatever you like.

Best of luck with your story!

Anglachel

I suspect the FAQ on story visibility is out of date since the last site upgrade. Sorry! I try not to show people things they can't click on or view.

Ah, OK, that's actually kind of reassuring. Because the FAQ was leading me to believe I ought to be able to see it on the Review list, I was having to sit on the odd niggling doubt about "maybe a button didn't get pressed somewhere and it never actually went into Review?"

I could totally believe that it wouldn't get a full set of decisions in 45 days, as I said - as long as it's in! I will possess my soul in patience...

Cheers,

Az

I've got a question on mine as well. It's been in the review since July 27th, well over 45 days, but it's not on pending or nor has it been spat back out for not getting the right number of reviews.

Unless it sat in a queue to start with (which I don't think it did, judging by the key on the my reviews page), I'm just wondering what's happened to it.

I finally took mine out of the review process. It was only 511 words, including the title. It should gave been a quick yeah or nay. I decided it wasn't worth the angst of the interminable wait 

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to FAQs - Post your questions here