Forum: Reference Library - entries, requests, etc.

Discussing: Researcher access changes

Researcher access changes

The Resource Admin area has been revised to make it easier to perform admin functions. In the course of this, the way researchers gain access for character bios has been changed.

Access is now through a link on the main Resources page directly under the "Resources" heading. It reads "Resources Admin". Only researchers and admins can see the link. It is invisible to regular HASA members.

You will no longer be able to access the editing form through the regular Character bio page, only through the link on the main Resource page, which will take you to a character list. It will look the same as the character bio page, but will permit editing.

Lyllyn

Re: Researcher access changes

I noticed the new "Associated characters" feature... so should we erase the old typed up ones and use the new feature instead?

~Loqi

Sigh... yes. I have already changed a few over, but lots more to go.

The good news is that the framework for timelines is very close to done, thanks to Ang.

Lyllyn

You will no longer be able to access the editing form through the regular Character bio page, only through the link on the main Resource page, which will take you to a character list. It will look the same as the character bio page, but will permit editing.

I'm obviously too stupid to understand this. The main Resource page - is that the one called 'Resources Overview"? If it is, it doesn't work for me. If I click on 'See all character bios', I can't edit them (and I only wanted to correct the typo I saw in 'Ingwe'...)

The main Resource page - is that the one called 'Resources Overview"? If it is, it doesn't work for me. If I click on 'See all character bios', I can't edit them (and I only wanted to correct the typo I saw in 'Ingwe'...)

It's confusing. On the Resource Overview page, does the 'resource admin' link show up for you under 'Research and Writing Resources'? If it does, click it and then click 'Character biographies' and you should be able to edit. If the link doesn't show up for you, let me know and I'll get it fixed.

Lyllyn

Don't worry... I've worked on some, finished all the ones before "G".
One more question (probably not the last), do we also have to fill out the little space that says "Letter"?

~Loqi

Don't worry... I've worked on some, finished all the ones before "G".
One more question (probably not the last), do we also have to fill out the little space that says "Letter"?

I know Ang put that in to fix a problem and they all are A by default. Set the letter to the first letter of the appropriate name. For characters like Tom Bombadil 'B' will be better than 'T' but most others should be straightforward.

lyllyn

It does, and it worked. Thanks!

I have volunteered to do one of the extended bios, and I don't see the research access thing on the menu. Am I supposed to have this access, or do I have to ask somewhere else to get it...like to help with timelines and stuff?

~Moriel

ge: I have volunteered to do one of the extended bios, and I don't see the research access thing on the menu. Am I supposed to have this access, or do I have to ask somewhere else to get it...like to help with timelines and stuff?

Moriel, you won't see Research access on the menu, it has to be requested. Some people who do extended bios simply email them or post their article in the general section, and then I switch it over. Assuming you want to help with timelines, I will reset your access in the next few minutes. You will get a message saying your password has changed, it will be the same, but you must log out and then back in to activate your access.

Welcome to the crew!

lyllyn

Lyllyn or Ang,

I was adding research articles (Maiar and Valar) to the character bios of those two groups and I noticed that Elwe (Thingol) was in the list. Now, this one I'm working on for the extended bio but it's off-list. I'm assuming that even if this was accidentally linked to Thingol's bio, it still would not appear to anyone except the admins since the article is off-list correct? If so, it shouldn't show up in the listing of research articles, should it? Thanks!

*confused*
Ying

Ying, if I go in through the research admin link on the overview page, I can see your article. If I try to find it in resources without being in the admin area, it doesn't show up. So it should not show to anyone not using the research access link.

It took me a while to figure out what was happening with that as it is confusing.

I'll look foward to when the article goes public.

lyllyn

Thanks for checking, Lyllyn. I was trying to do that but I think because I'm the author, I was still seeing it.

The modifications are wonderful and very easy to get use to.

The modifications are wonderful and very easy to get use to.

Glad to hear it, all thanks to Ang!

How many more of them do you have left? Also, do we have to add every single elf as associate characters in the "Elves" bio, as it is done on other races' bio.

~Loqi

How many more of them do you have left?

I think we're done due to all your work over the last few days. Thanks many times over!

Also, do we have to add every single elf as associate characters in the "Elves" bio, as it is done on other races' bio.

No, I think someone, (Ang is that you?) got enthusiastic. Since so much of the list is individual elves, it would be very unwieldy.

Lyllyn

Well, It would be nice if they were all associated.

My own suggestion, Lyllyn, is to study the character search reports in the Admin section, and make sure the 25 or so most searched for elves get associated with the general "Elves" bio.

Ang

No, I think someone, (Ang is that you?) got enthusiastic. Since so much of the list is individual elves, it would be very unwieldy.

Er, probably me for some of them. I associated the race for characters not yet done but I didn't add anymore associations if I noticed someone already did the character. Besides, Maiar and Ents had very few to associate.

Ying

Actually, I did the Dunedain ones, but refrained myself from the Elves section.

~Loqi

The question to answer is how will these be used? My concern is that for elves we'll get a list longer than the bio itself. If it is members using the resource area, would it be useful?

For me, it would not; what about other people?

Lyllyn

I think I'm the one who did Hobbits. I get so confused between my testing on the development server, and testing here on the live server I can't keep track. %-)

Ang

I think we're done due to all your work over the last few days. Thanks many times over!

Thanks, but I think you did most of the work. I just checked them over, and found some characters that I forgot to change the Index Letter.
The "Elves" bio has "None" as it's Associate characters for now. I probably won't find it useful having the elves connected with the bio

~Loqi

You will no longer be able to access the editing form through the regular Character bio page, only through the link on the main Resource page, which will take you to a character list. It will look the same as the character bio page, but will permit editing

Lyllyn, I don't know why, but the only thing I can't access is the Character bios. I linked through the "Resources Admin", just as I do for adding songs and poems, but the Character bio header won't let me link to the bio page. Did I misunderstand the directions?

Gárulf is waiting for his bio, and I did promise.

~Nessime

Ooops! Never mind--I figured out what I needed to do (besides have another cup of coffee!)

Ah Lyllyn... you've unleashed a monster.

I've learned how to add Timeline Events today! Woot! Look for some major additions to things and people during Thengel and Morwen of Lossarnach's time while I battle writer's block.

~Thevina

Ah Lyllyn... you've unleashed a monster.

My favorite kind of monster!

I've learned how to add Timeline Events today! Woot! Look for some major additions to things and people during Thengel and Morwen of Lossarnach's time while I battle writer's block.

Have fun. Go to it!

(Pssst! Wanna learn how to add Places and Things?)

Lyllyn

Have fun. Go to it!

Oh, I have!!! Morwen, Thengel, the mid 2950's... many additions as of yesterday evening.

(Pssst! Wanna learn how to add Places and Things?)

Baby steps, Lyllyn... baby steps...

The muse has been keeping me awake of late, so I'm back to writing, but certainly I would love to add Places and Things as they come to me and I realize somebody hasn't already included them. I also need to revisit the email you sent me so I can add a person for the character bio list.

~Thevina

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Reference Library - entries, requests, etc.