Forum: Reference Library - entries, requests, etc.

Discussing: Real-world mediaeval domestic: research articles and URLs

Real-world mediaeval domestic: research articles and URLs

Hi All

It emerged in a discussion over here in the Resources Discussion Workshop that both JunoMagic and I have similar ideas for putting together research articles or websites about "real world mediaeval domestic" information that may be of use to fanfic writers. I think there may be other people who would be interested in contributing to the same kind of topics.

I wanted to start this thread so members can post about
* what they might be interested in writing about (so we don't duplicate work or can collaborate on articles);
* what they would like to see others write about; and
* useful URLs they've come across that might go in the URL library (or be used to support research articles).

I've already put together an article on Camp Cookery.

If I understand Juno correctly, she's thinking about doing something on mediaeval domestic architecture, which a special emphasis on kitchens, as she has lots of fabulous pictures from a local museum. (Juno, let us know if you were planning something different.)

I was considering doing an article on cooking techniques for "settled" communities (Gwynnyd provided me with some excellent material about how to produce a five-course meal from a single cauldron) , which I think would complement Juno's article well.

I have also made a start on a piece about mediaeval servants and the running of a mediaeval household/estate, since that seems to be an area of confusion for quite a lot of people.

So, does anyone else have anything they want to contribute or suggest?

Cheers, Liz

Re: Real-world mediaeval domestic: research articles and URLs

No, that was exactly what I had in mind!

The museum is (so far) mainly farm houses from the 11th to the 19th century with furniture and gardens styled according to the relevant period. It's all very down to earth.

I might be going back later this year, so if anyone wants me to take a special picture of something, just ask and I will do my best to fulfill that request.

Yours
Juno

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Reference Library - entries, requests, etc.