Forum: Reference Library - entries, requests, etc.

Discussing: Races of Elves- for the Character Bios

Races of Elves- for the Character Bios

Hello! This is a thread spawned from Races and Peoples which discusses whether and how we should add Tolkien's different races to the character bio section. This is also a contemporary thread to Races of Men - for the Character Bios. Here, we will, of course, be talking about the Races of Elves. By race, we mean the different clans of Elves and their sub-divisions. Here’s my suggested list of races of Elves (as of Nov. 19 2004): Vanyar Noldor Teleri Falmari/Teleri of Aman/Teleri of Aqualondë Sindar/Grey-elves - Falathrim? Nandor - Silvan? - Laiquendi/Green-elves? Avari Note: Races with question marks beside them mean that they should be noted as a separate catagory but would be folded in as one entry with the race above it. ~Loqi

Re: Races of Elves- for the Character Bios

Loqi, My apologies for not getting back to you sooner. These categories look great! - Barbara

Hi Loqi My apologies for not getting back to you sooner. These categories look great! I'll second Barbara - this looks like a really good starting point for the Elven races. I'm still not volunteering to do any of them, though. Cheers, Liz

My apologies for not getting back to you sooner. These categories look great! I'll second Barbara - this looks like a really good starting point for the Elven races. Thanks guys and no worries! And sorry for the late reply too, I'm being pretty busy lately. I should have the to-do-list up soon. I'm still not volunteering to do any of them, though. Just a teensy one, pleeeeaaaaase? ~Loqi

Re: Races of Elves- Volunteer list

I discover, to my horror and amazement, that there are no bio entries for any of the clans of elves. There is only one very clear entry on the Elves in general. So, that means, all of the races are up for grabs! Vanyar (Elcalion) Noldor Teleri Falmari/Teleri of Aman/Teleri of Aqualondë (Allie) Sindar/Grey-elves (Laire~Eryn) - Falathrim? (Elcalion) Nandor - Silvan? (Ithildin) - Laiquendi/Green-elves? (Lyllyn) Avari (Lyllyn- done!) Peredhil/Half-elven (Ithildin) Post a comment if you are interested in working on any of the above that are available and I'll update the list. ~Loqi

I'm interested - not sure how much time i'll have to work on it (i'm a musician amongst other things and i'm playing 2 shows in the next month!) but I would be happy to share what i can find. I have a mild obsession with elves and have read a lot of the HOME material on the subject while researching for fics. I might start with something small (er) until I get some more time - maybe the Vanyar or Falathrim? Elcalion

Loqi, I have some interest in the Sindarin Elves (and a pretty good idea of whose brain I'd like to pick...). But make that tentative, because I'm really going to be busy with Men for a while... If someone else comes along and volunteers for them, take them up on it! - Barbara

Welcome, Elcalion, to the Land of the Resource Geeks! I'm interested - not sure how much time i'll have to work on it (i'm a musician amongst other things and i'm playing 2 shows in the next month!) but I would be happy to share what i can find. I have a mild obsession with elves and have read a lot of the HOME material on the subject while researching for fics. I might start with something small (er) until I get some more time - maybe the Vanyar or Falathrim? Sure, just adopt a very small resource!nuzguling to start! They're cute, and fluffly, and ... Lyllyn

Why do I get this premonition of doom? I've already been savaged by several plot nuzgul - although my mild unhealthy Elf obsession means i probably have enough to start on general summaries. How in depth would the entry be?

Welcome Elcalion! I'm interested - not sure how much time i'll have to work on it (i'm a musician amongst other things and i'm playing 2 shows in the next month!) but I would be happy to share what i can find. I have a mild obsession with elves and have read a lot of the HOME material on the subject while researching for fics. I might start with something small (er) until I get some more time - maybe the Vanyar or Falathrim? Sure. That's great! It's ok if you don't have that much time, take things slowly if you want. Can I put you down for Vanyar and Falathrim for now? Tell me which one you want later and I'll change it for you. Why do I get this premonition of doom? *shrifty look* It's just your imagination, just your imagination. How in depth would the entry be? As deep as you can go. We don't have a limit. You can take a look at some of the 'Men' Races bio for guidance, like the Éothéod. ~Loqi

I have some interest in the Sindarin Elves (and a pretty good idea of whose brain I'd like to pick...). But make that tentative, because I'm really going to be busy with Men for a while... If someone else comes along and volunteers for them, take them up on it! Excellent! I'll put you up for Sindarin with a question mark beside it. But you do know that tentative can be a very dangerous word right? (Says Loqi who hesistantly said that she *might* be able to help out with the Elves bio ) ~Loqi

The list is now edited. Sure, just adopt a very small resource!nuzguling to start! They're cute, and fluffly, and ... Lyllyn, are you trying to scare away my vic-- I mean volunteers? ~Loqi

Hi Elcalion! Welcome to the crew! Don't mind Lyllyn, she has a really strange sense of humor... We all try to be nice to her 'cause she's the boss... About the Races entries: we encourage you to compile quotations from Tolkien's works for the entries... if you also wish to write a summary, that's fine, as long as it's clear which is written by you and which is written by Tolkien. I have created a template for a Races entry that gives you the nice HTML to set up nice-looking sections, but (more importantly) helps with a framework to evaluate and categorize quotes. (Not all races will need every section...) You can find the template here: Template for Races entries, in the Useful Tools and Templates thread. Just post here if you have a question or three... usually one of us will see it and answer within a few hours. - Barbara

Hi Elcalion Welcome to Resources! As someone with a ridiculous number of both story!nuzgul and resource!nuzgul, I can promise you that resource!nuzgul are usually far easier to handle. Just don't let Lyllyn use the words "that would make a good research article...." on you. I can also confirm that Barbara's templates really do help organise when trying to organise quotes into coherent entries. As to how in-depth entries need to be: sometimes there just isn't that much information! A good example is Variags of Khand (where I'm amazed Barbara found even that much). Apart from that, it's really up to you. Because Barbara, Loqi and I are all obsessives, we've been trawling through all the books for every scrap of information we can find, but even a simple overview or a few key quotes are much appreciated. You may also want to ask Barbara for copies of various spreadsheets which help speed up the "fiddly" stuff such as including citations for quotes. Cheers, Liz (who is still not volunteering to do any Elven Races)

I can promise you that resource!nuzgul are usually far easier to handle. Just don't let Lyllyn use the words "that would make a good research article...." on you. Now, now, don't bias the nice new vict...volunteer. You know you enjoyed writing those articles. And I confess, I'm caught too - I'll volunteer for Avari. Lyllyn

You know you enjoyed writing those articles. I enjoyed writing the ones I volunteered for that were byproducts of story!nuzgul. I'm still struggling with the one you set on me. And I confess, I'm caught too - I'll volunteer for Avari. *cackles* Nope, still not volunteering for Elves. Cheers, Liz

*darting eyes, and excessive efforts to stay as close to door as possible* Ahem. I will volunteer for the Teleri. That's a simple matter of typing in quotes, etc., from the Silm, right? I haven't read HoME, so I can't help in that arena (if there is more information there). It might take me awhile, but I'll give it a shot. And I'm only here because I'm fighting with my muses. Hear that, Liz, and all you flingers of resource!nuzgul? Allie

And I confess, I'm caught too - I'll volunteer for Avari. Very good my precioussss... very good, more volunteerss... I'll add you to the list. ~Loqi

I will volunteer for the Teleri. That's a simple matter of typing in quotes, etc., from the Silm, right? I haven't read HoME, so I can't help in that arena (if there is more information there). It might take me awhile, but I'll give it a shot. Great! Quotes from the Silm is fine, maybe we can find someone who is willing to share HoME quotes. I'm assuming by Teleri you mean the Teleri of Aman, as oppose to the whole third clan. Thanks for volunteering! ~Loqi

Yes- I don't think I have the strength to cover the entire third clan! Allie

I'm probably going to regret this, but I'm feeling withdrawl pangs. I'll take on Laiquendi/Green-elves, but it will be very slow. Lyllyn

Thank you! The list is edited. Take your time. I feel terrible about the amount of work I've done for the resources recently (ie. none). I'm still alive but RL wants all my attention. ~Loqi

I could do the Silvan Elves, if you still need someone to do it.

I could do the Silvan Elves, if you still need someone to do it. We'd love to have you take on the Silvan Elves! Thanks. Lyllyn

Of course! Thank you for volunteering! ~Loqi

I didn't find an entry for the Half-elven when I was looking things up last night. The search took me to entries for individuals, but I didn't see a general or 'race' entry for the Half-elven explaining how they are different from Elves. Since I already have some quotes gathered on that topic too, I can add it to my list of projects (unless I missed an existing entry somehow). Let me know. I also don't mind collaborating if someone else has input. Ithildin *(

Hi Ithildin! I think this would be a great idea! Thank you for volunteering to do it! I've been developing an HTML template for the bios that describe Races; I've been told that the templates help people to organize their thoughts (not to mention, the entry!). I'm in the process of moving the templates into the Workshop, so I will come back and post a link here when it's done. - Barbara

ok i'll be on the lookout for it.

ok i'll be on the lookout for it. Here you are: the story is Resources: Tools and Templates; look for the two chapters titled "Bio - Races: annotated sample" for examples and "Bio - Races: HTML" for the actual template to create a Races entry. (Sorry for not linking directly to the proper chapters, but they will change as I add new templates.) If you have any questions about Races entries in general or the template, feel free to post them here. Thank you again, Ithildin! I think it's a great idea to have an entry for the Peredhil in the library. - Barbara Edit: The templates are very comprehensive, but are meant as guidelines; any one race might have only enough quotes associated with it for a subset of the sections. And only the larger entries use subsection headings... so feel free to leave out whatever is not relevant.

Thanks for the great idea! We certainly need that entry. I will add Half-elven to the list with you name beside it. ~Loqi

I'll like to do the Sindar, and if I have time, I'll work on the Laiquendi.

I went and look at the templates to start filling them in, but realized that I am very confused about how they work. I know what information I need, but I don't understand how to use the HTML stuff and the section with the links stuff.

Hi Laire-Eryn! I'll like to do the Sindar, and if I have time, I'll work on the Laiquendi. I had previously volunteered to do the Sindar, BUT because of Real Life issues I won't be able to do them... so I am pleased that you would like to do so! Loqi (who owns this thread) will update the list of volunteers when she has time to check in. I went and look at the templates to start filling them in, but realized that I am very confused about how they work. I know what information I need, but I don't understand how to use the HTML stuff and the section with the links stuff. Ah, well, the templates are my responsibility, so I will be very happy to help you with those! Here's how we go about creating a new entry for the Resources Library: - We fill entries with Tolkien's quotations almost exclusively. Gather all the quotations you can find about your subject from Tolkien's works, always including citations. The citations need to include both book name and chapter name -- see Liz/Tanaqui's story Citations for Tolkien's Writing for lists of preformatted citations that you can copy and paste. (Please don't use the page number in citations; that is totally useless for anyone who has a different edition of the book.) I use the name "Tidbits - Subject" for the name of the file containing the raw quotations for the subject. - Look at my story Resources: Tools and Templates, the chapter titled "Bio - Races: annotated sample" (currently chapter 1, which might change in the future) to get an idea of what types of quotes fit into each section of the Races template. The Sindar probably have enough quotes to use most or all of the Races template, but the Laiquendi, for example, might only have a handful of quotes, so may need only one or two sections of the template. - Create a new text file for the entry. Copy and paste the text from the chapter called "Bio - Races: HTML" (currently chapter 2) into your text file. I call this file "WIP - Subject" while I'm still working on the entry, then rename it to "Done - Subject" when I'm finished. - Copy each of Tolkien's quotations into the appropriate section of the template in your text file, then edit them (using "..." to show omissions within the quotation, and "[]" to show where you substituted a word, such as replacing a pronoun with a name, for example). Arrange the quotes in each section so that they make the most sense. If some researcher commentary is needed -- to bridge gaps, for example -- surround it by "[]" to distinguish it from Tolkien's quotations. (Some people choose to surround Tolkien's quotations with quote marks. I do not, because my entries are almost exclusively quotations, and every quotation has a citation, and I distinguish my comments from Tolken's with [].) - When the entire entry is complete, create a new Bio entry in the library (all Races are Bios). In the future, we were planning to call the Races entries something like "Elves — Sindar", but for now, we're just using names like "Sindar". Copy and paste your text file into the "Description" section, and fill in the rest of the fields as needed. Press "Add" and the entry is added. Hint: if you are using Notepad for your text file, turn off Word Wrap under the Format menu BEFORE you copy the text; otherwise, Notepad will insert random-looking line breaks into your entry, which makes the entry look odd. - Review the entry (hint: if you refresh the Resources main page, it will display a link to your new entry). If you see any typos or format errors, correct them in the "WIP - Subject" file, then edit your new entry and copy-and-paste the text to the Description field again. That way, your file always has the most up-to-date version of the text, so that you can, say, add a new quote in the future to the text file and update the entry without losing corrections that you had made straight to the entry. - Edit the entry and press "Link" to add sideline links. For example, an entry on the Sindar should be linked to the bio for Elves. - Once you have completed the entry, I recommend that you post a message on the Announcements and Feedback Requests thread and ask for feedback. One of the active members will review your entry and give you feedback (don't worry, we don't bite!). I suggest this because you are new to Races entries -- but in fact, Liz and I, who are old hands at this, do this routinely whenever we add Races or other major entries, so we help each other out. Sorry that this post got so long, but I wasn't sure which part of the process you were having trouble with, so I included a lot of detail. If you have any further questions, post them here and one of us will answer them. Hope this helps! - Barbara

Welcome and thank you for volunteering! I've edited the list to switch your name with Barbara's for the Sindar. We already have a volunteer for the Laiquendi though. Thanks for speaking out. And Barbara, thank you for being willing to switch and explaining the templates. I learned something too. ~Loqi

Thanks very much! The info on posting really helped!

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Reference Library - entries, requests, etc.