Forum: Reference Library - entries, requests, etc.

Discussing: Places - would this help?

Places - would this help?

There have been some entries duplicated, and this seems to happen most in Places. I know I've done it, I think others have, too. I keep a list of all places entered, and another of all places (that I can think of) with the entered ones marked. Would this bit of obsessiveness be helpful to anyone else? I'm slightly behind, but I'm in process of bringing it up to date. Lyllyn

Re: Places - would this help?

Is this a list you could send in email? I'd be interested in seeing it. I know that I try to check first before adding something, but sometimes miss seeing what I'm looking for. (And it sure doesn't help that Tolkien gave everything fourteen different names...) - Barbara P.S. I have a spreadsheet of all the different links I add to entries. Would you like me to send you a text version of my Places entries? At the least, it would include all the ones that I have added recently, plus other random ones... We could compare lists...

Thanks, Barbara. I'm integrating lists and checking them against the site; Elithien has also been busy, to my delight. I'm trying to think of how to post these so they can be kept up to date. I can send them when I've finished updating, but they'll be incorrect very rapidly. Any thoughts? I suppose I could start a thread just for the list. Two lists, actually - the ones that are done, and the ones that aren't. Oh, and the alternate names, that I thought I'd enter just the name and link to the 'main' entry. Lyllyn

I'm trying to think of how to post these so they can be kept up to date. I can send them when I've finished updating, but they'll be incorrect very rapidly. Any thoughts? Short of having some sort of spreadsheet (I like spreadsheets, you can sort them any which way...) that can be shared by everyone with researcher capabilities, the only thing I can think of is to post the list at the top of a thread; as each of us adds something, we leave a message, then you add the new entries to the list at the top of the thread (like they do in the Birthday Card forum). But, message threads are not really well-suited to long lists... maybe a message for each letter of the alphabet? *Groan* The problem with anything that I can think of is that it requires one person - probably you - to update the top message... that creates an unavoidable bottleneck... - Barbara P.S. Um, while you're at it, you *cough* might want to *cough* add these entries to your list, since I added them after sending you the list this afternoon... Durin's Tower Endless Stair Ford of Carrock Old Ford And I *think* these were already on the list I sent you: Celebdil/Zirakzigil/Silvertine Fanuidhol/Bundushathûr/Cloudyhead

The problem with anything that I can think of is that it requires one person - probably you - to update the top message... that creates an unavoidable bottleneck... How about using either he HA Writers ID, so anyone can update the main list (although I'm not sure you will like that idea) or the HASA Resources ID (not the Resource Manager one - the one the beta reading articles are posted under and which is meant for resources written by one admin but maintained by others) which any of the admins can use to update? Also, regarding the length of the list vs mulitple threads, how about a smaller number of threads each covering a range of letters eg A-D, E-H etc Cheers, Liz

How about using either he HA Writers ID, so anyone can update the main list (although I'm not sure you will like that idea) or the HASA Resources ID (not the Resource Manager one - the one the beta reading articles are posted under and which is meant for resources written by one admin but maintained by others) which any of the admins can use to update? The HAWriters ID may work, but it does require people to login separately to use it which I find slightly irritating. It's a good idea though, and it may be the best solution. Also, regarding the length of the list vs mulitple threads, how about a smaller number of threads each covering a range of letters eg A-D, E-H etc Yes, I think this is the way to go for the threads. We're currently up to aroun 300 entries, and it's only going to get bigger. Lyllyn

Very nice work on the lists, Lyllyn! So, if we add a new place starting with "B", for example, do you want us to post a message under the A thru D(?) thread? Or would you prefer to start another thread for the new names, and leave the alphabet threads alone (you could make them read-only, I think). I see a few place names that have synonyms... unless you're already doing that, I'll pull together a list of the ones I know and post it for you. - Barbara P.S. Are you using a spreadsheet for these? There might be a bunch of synonyms -- would you like me to post them as plain text, or as text that you could copy into a .csv file? (Putting quotes around the multi-word names makes it easier to import into a spreadsheet -- and it's trivially easy to do with a special text editor that I use.) And how would you like to see synonyms? Just the synonym name, or the synonym name along with the "real" entry name? And, do you wish to break up multi-word entries (sorry, I didn't check whether you were already doing this...) E.g. "Bridge of Khazad-dûm, The" and "Khazad-dûm, The Bridge of "? I can do that for you, since I've been doing it a lot for the Index of my Genealogies -- I'm very practiced at it. And, last but not least, can we dump those pesky "The"'s for the sake of this list? Since it is just meant as a list to detect the presence or absence of a place, not the arbiter of the exact place name... - Barbara

Very nice work on the lists, Lyllyn! Bows, grateful that geekyness is appreciated. There are times when mindless organizing is so satisfying. So, if we add a new place starting with "B", for example, do you want us to post a message under the A thru D(?) thread? Or would you prefer to start another thread for the new names, and leave the alphabet threads alone (you could make them read-only, I think). We could do it either way, but I think adding to the bottom of the same thread is best, or the 'name' threads will get rapidly buried. I see a few place names that have synonyms... unless you're already doing that, I'll pull together a list of the ones I know and post it for you. P.S. Are you using a spreadsheet for these? There might be a bunch of synonyms -- would you like me to post them as plain text, or as text that you could copy into a .csv file? (Putting quotes around the multi-word names makes it easier to import into a spreadsheet -- and it's trivially easy to do with a special text editor that I use.) And how would you like to see synonyms? Just the synonym name, or the synonym name along with the "real" entry name? I do have a lot of the synonyms. What I've thought is that for any synonym someone is likely to use to look up an entry, there should be an entry, even if it only says, "see x". So Rivendell and Imladris should both have entries, even if only a link; but some less used/descriptive names may not need separate entries. I haven't been using a spreadsheet, but a list with three colors. (equally obsessive, just different.) And, do you wish to break up multi-word entries (sorry, I didn't check whether you were already doing this...) E.g. "Bridge of Khazad-dûm, The" and "Khazad-dûm, The Bridge of "? I can do that for you, since I've been doing it a lot for the Index of my Genealogies -- I'm very practiced at it. I tried to do that on the posted lists, putting it both ways so people can find it. I'm sure I missed several; send 'em along when you spot them. And, last but not least, can we dump those pesky "The"'s for the sake of this list? Since it is just meant as a list to detect the presence or absence of a place, not the arbiter of the exact place name... Fine by me! I'll take them off the alpha lists as I get the time. Lyllyn

Bows, grateful that geekyness is appreciated. There are times when mindless organizing is so satisfying. Yeah, I know what you mean. I just wish I could apply that energy to organizing parts of my life that are not inside a computer... my house, for example... I think adding to the bottom of the same thread is best, Will do... I do have a lot of the synonyms. Yes, I saw that after writing the message. The only test case I thought of was "Erebor" for "Lonely Mountain", and that wasn't there... LOL! (I'm good at testing software, too. ) some less used/descriptive names may not need separate entries. Agreed, though we might not agree on specific cases. I've read Hob/LoTR/Sil several times, so I apply this criteria: If I don't remember ever seeing that name before, it definitely doesn't belong on the list! I tried to do that on the posted lists, putting it both ways so people can find it. I'm sure I missed several; send 'em along when you spot them. Yes, again I should have looked closer before asking. If I see any other candidates, I will let you know. And I have seen a couple of missed entries, too, but I'm still checking. And I'm glad you agree to dump the "The"s... - Barbara

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Reference Library - entries, requests, etc.