Forum: Reference Library - entries, requests, etc.

Discussing: Footnotes

Footnotes

Hi,

Would it be possible to have footnotes to our character fact sheets? There are some matter which might need to explained, for example:

Feanor: Under Title, it should be written that he was, by heritage, High King of the Noldor after his father died. However, should it be mentioned that many of the Noldor took his brother Fingolfin instead?

Ereinion Gil-galad: According to the Silm, his dad was Fingon. But it seems that in his last day, Tolkien took Ordoreth to be Gil-galad's father.

Should these be mentioned in the spaces provided in the factsheets, or is the idea of footnotes too ambitious?

-Klose

Re: Footnotes

The "footnotes" will be in the attached essay collections.

The general idea is a user will click on, say, Gandalf, and will see a one page form with all the basic facts. There will be one fairly extensive text box holding description and gotta-know notes. A small controversy might get a mention in this text area, but a sustained analysis will go into an essay.

In addition to this, a user will be able to click to a Forum discussion dedicated to that character, where all the niddly questions can be asked, theories expounded, obscure citations mentioned, and discussion of what is so cool about so and so anyway.

All this is in place now, but the data needs to be entered and the discussions need to be started in the Resources area. There has also been some questions about creating a HASA Conference that is *nothing* but character discussions. That seems a bit limited but we'll see how things play out. It can be implemented at a future date, if necessary.

Phase II - Sustained pieces about the different characters will be collected into a character article collection. Each charachter is eligible for a collection. The first few "chapters" or essays in any collection will probably be the same - footnotes, identification of contradictions and controversies, perhaps a list of stories featuring that character - this isn't set, yet. The rest of a collection will be essays and arguments by different HASA members about that particular character - Different perspectives on Boromir, speculation on the life of Galadriel, etc. What we're trying to work out is how to let all memebrs contributte directly to a particular collection, rather than having a single author. It's coming along. I just uploaded a few code changes in the last hour.

Phase III - Dynamic timelines/event calendars that can be interlinked with characters. This is a join between charcters proper and chronologies (and citations to) events/history.

So, that's where footnotes fit into the greater scheme of things.

These are great questions.

The simple fact sheets have limited space, and the idea is to link them to essays later. The issues you mention would be perfect to discuss and footnote at length in an essay. If you are inspired to write this up now, you can do one of two things with it.
1.Enter it as a research article, set as General of Offlist (private).
OR
2. Email it to me and I will enter it and store it.
Either of these is a temporary measure until the factsheets can be linked to the simple bio.

The issues surrounding Gil-galad's parentage and Tolkien's choices would make a great essay!

Thanks for the nice work on Fingon and Maedhros. You might want to add locations, (eg Valinor, Himring for Maedhros) and today's date after your name. I see what you mean about the controversial issues; adding (controversial, Silmarillion only) after Gil-galad as Fingon's child ought to do it.

Nice work!

Yllyn

Anglachel, thanks for that informative reply.

Sorry, I should have read your earlier notes about the phases. Ever the blur queen I am. Lemme go digest all of that now.

Oh yeah, and thanks for adding the location for Fingon!

-Klose

Yllyn wrote:

The issues surrounding Gil-galad's parentage and Tolkien's choices would make a great essay!

Do you think so? Perhaps I'll write one, then, if I ever get around to finishing my WIPs.

Thanks for the nice work on Fingon and Maedhros. You might want to add locations, (eg Valinor, Himring for Maedhros) and today's date after your name.

Okay, I'll add the locations now... one second... oh, Ang, thanks for adding that! Oh yes, I forgot the date, let me write that too.. alrighty, that's done. Thanks for pointing that out! Dunno why I missed it.

I see what you mean about the controversial issues; adding (controversial, Silmarillion only) after Gil-galad as Fingon's child ought to do it.

Oh, phew, that sounds better than putting a simple '?' next to his name.

Thanks!

-Klose, admiring her new lab coat (hehehe)

Hey, it is all still in beta testing at this point. We need people to experiment with things so we can figure out how it should be.

That's the tought part - making sure the data is consistent in format and presentation from record to record so that people don't have to relaern stuff. So we have to experiment with differnt styles until we know which one works best.

Oops! I see something I forgot - last update on record. I have that stored somewhere in the table and it needs to be shown.

Toodles - Ang

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Reference Library - entries, requests, etc.