Forum: Reference Library - entries, requests, etc.

Discussing: Who's working on the factsheets?

Who's working on the factsheets?

Ok, this might have been decided before, but Lyllyn, are you working on the Character factsheets yourself? It seems like a lot of work to me. Do you need any help?

-Klose

Re: Who's working on the factsheets?

Lyllyn's the idea lady, and I'm the code monkey.

Still in idea stages, but some here's a working list of tables and fields:

Character - This is the primary table
Name - primary name
Meaning - translation of name if available
Race/Species - elf, dwarf, orc, hobbit, etc.
Type - noldor, sindar, rohirrim, black numenorean, etc.
Other Names - mithrandir, olori
Years and Eras - this one is tough. It would be best to be actual dates, but we don't always have those and then there are eras to think of.
Status/Title - King of Arnor and Gondor, The Dark Lord, Thain
Location(s) - Shire, Annuminas, Menegroth, Khazad-dum, Gondor
Description - a physical description of the character, preferably with quotes and citations.
Parents - if known
Siblings - if any/known
Spouse - if any.known
Children - if any/known
Discussion - a Forum discussion dedicated to just this character, if any

Timeline - this is speculative. I would like to try to build a timeline for events, which characters can be linked to. Click on event, see description, citations, and list of character/participants. Clicking on character would take you to character page. Eventually, would try to link character back in to event, so you can start from one and move to other.

Essays - possibly. We were thinking that there could be a way to organize member critical writings on a particular character, building up a small library of thoughts, speculations, intrepretations. There would probably be an introductory piece talking about why the character captures our imagination so well, and then short essays (maybe one or two chapters) by different people. Not every character would get this treatment, probably just the major ones, but I think this would be fascinating to see how different authors view the characters.

And we're trying to figure out how to have as many people as want to help be able to participate. Big characters, like Bilbo, Elrond, Gandalf, Aragorn (hands off Dwim!) will need multiple people working on the basic bio, while anyone can post to discussions, and the critical essays are welcome form whomever cares to write them.

Ang answered many questions, but not the crucial one for me.

Ok, this might have been decided before, but Lyllyn, are you working on the Character factsheets yourself? It seems like a lot of work to me. Do you need any help?

Yes!
There is going to be a lot of work, and I thought that people might sign up for individuals, or in the case of really major characters, portions or ages.

Do you have a particular individual or part you'd like to do? Or any other ideas for helping? All welcome.

Lyllyn

As I said, I'm just the code monkey ;-)

Right, yes, volunteers welcome, needed, to be suckered in at all costs!

This really is a participatory knowledge base that will greatly benefit from every addition. Even folks who might not want to write fiction can help put together the Resources.

Ang

Ang wrote:

And we're trying to figure out how to have as many people as want to help be able to participate. Big characters, like Bilbo, Elrond, Gandalf, Aragorn (hands off Dwim!) will need multiple people working on the basic bio, while anyone can post to discussions, and the critical essays are welcome form whomever cares to write them.

Well, I would like to help out with the basic bios, if that is possible. Perhaps you could post a message on HA, asking if anybody wants to help out, and then have them go somewhere to sign up. Give them a deadline (for signing up), after which it can be decided who does what. Would that work out?

Anyway, thanks for the quick reply!

-Klose

Lyllyn wrote:

Do you have a particular individual or part you'd like to do? Or any other ideas for helping? All welcome.

Well, I am working on Fingon and Maedhros factsheets, could I adapt that those to this format, and submit them? I also wouldn't mind working on a few other Silmarillion characters, such as Finrod Felgaund and Maglor. Would that be possible?

Re: Ideas for helping? I'm still a bit vague about this whole thing, but if I do think of something, I'll be sure to tell you.

Thanks!

-Klose

Well, I am working on Fingon and Maedhros factsheets, could I adapt that those to this format, and submit them? I also wouldn't mind working on a few other Silmarillion characters, such as Finrod Felgaund and Maglor. Would that be possible?

Excellent. All characters welcome, and several silm writers on this site will probably be ecstatic to have that resource. As soon as Ang has done whatever one does with code (mystery to me, glad someone is good at it), and the format is ready, we'll start. This was somewhat discussed on HA several weeks ago, and I will post there also when the format is done. If you know anyone else interested, pass the word.

And thanks.

Lyllyn

Excellent. All characters welcome, and several silm writers on this site will probably be ecstatic to have that resource. As soon as Ang has done whatever one does with code (mystery to me, glad someone is good at it), and the format is ready, we'll start. This was somewhat discussed on HA several weeks ago, and I will post there also when the format is done. If you know anyone else interested, pass the word.

Great. I'll try to get the word around. Thanks!

-Klose

Just as an FYI - the intention is that anyone/thing listed on the current character list is eligible to have a character bio written up. So, check out that list and see if there is anybody you would like to claim.

The code isn't so hard. Sacrifice a few Help Desk techs to the ether gods, give the server a good whack, and ingest enough coffee to keep a small army awake for a week - nothing to it.

Ang, aka, Aulë
'cuz Dwarves are cool

We are ready to start filling in a simple factsheet for each character, with the more complete material to come later. If the research is done, each one should only take a few minutes.

This is the time for volunteers!
Klose, since you already volunteered, I'll have Ang give you 'researcher' status, so you can start. Play with it, let me know how it goes, we're still tweaking.

And thanks.

Lyllyn

I currently have a lot of information gathered on Denethor (and the palantir), which I have compiled on my Denethor fansite. I've kept it to mostly quotes, though, to minimize the amount of bias I might introduce into it (unfortunately, I think it still crept in).

Would that be useful?

~Aralanthiriel

currently have a lot of information gathered on Denethor (and the palantir), which I have compiled on my Denethor fansite. I've kept it to mostly quotes, though, to minimize the amount of bias I might introduce into it (unfortunately, I think it still crept in).

Would that be useful?

Absolutely. Your information could be useful in two different ways.
The factsheet- this is very basic, and is our current project. For someone very familiar with the character, this would take a few minutes to fill in.
Essays - I'd love to an essay or 2 or 3 or... on Denethor. On a character like Denethor where a fair amount of canon information is known, I would envision several essays tied to the factsheet. These can be expanded general information, an examination of one aspect - as in his use of the palantir, or well founded speculation. Any and all welcome.

If you are willing to do the simple factsheet, I will have Ang give you access. If not, hold onto those quotations, put a bit of essay around them, and I'll let you know where to go from here.

Yllyn

I wouldn't mind doing the fact sheet at all!

If not, hold onto those quotations, put a bit of essay around them, and I'll let you know where to go from here.

Hrm... Not sure what you mean by put a bit of essay around them. The current format is here:

http://denethor.hidden-archives.com <-- click on Profile

What would I need to add? Me = clueless.

~Aralanthiriel

What would I need to add? Me = clueless.
That's because you don't need to add anything. You already have it all there, not just a 'collection of quotations.'

I'd like to get this loaded into the system, although the link may not appear for a while. Paste it into the system as General or Off-list, whichever you like, and we'll link it when ready. General will mean all members can see it now, Off-list will keep it private until the link is up.

As soon as I email Ang, you should have researcher access.

Lyllyn

I'd be happy to help with the factsheets, if you still need people.

Klose and Aralanthiriel are both official HASA Researchers now! Lab coats optional. >D

To clarify Yllyn's comments about the critical essays on characters:

Right now, all we have are basic character fact sheets. There's a *lot* of room for info in them, and there is (potentially) one for every character listed on the character drop down.

We have two "In development" projects that be joined up with the basic bios in the first part of 2003:

1. Critical Essays on characters - we can take the essays now (so just enter them into the system just like you would a regular story - set it to General - and let Yllyn know it is there) and the plan is to have one essay collection per character. So create them and psot them, and let us worry about the behind the scenes organization. We're still working on that!

2. Dynamic timelines - This one is the big bad creature. We want to make timelines of events with fairly extensive discussions and info about them, AND then be able to link charatcers in to the events. Once we do that, we will be able to do a backwards engineering move and create individualized timelines for characters. Well, that's what's in rehersal, anyway. ;-)

So, we are going to need a lot of help to get the basic fact sheets filled out, and we will be looking for critical essays to link into the fact sheets. The timelines will be another project soon thereafter.

Ang

OK, I just filled out the factsheet for Denethor. Is that too much information? I wasn't sure what would qualify as character info, and what would qualify under "essays".

I also have information collected under the uses/properties of the palantir, which I'm not sure fits under the character fact sheet. Should that be written as a separate research article?

~Aralanthiriel

OK, I'm afraid I can't offer any or much help by way of Men or Elves...
But if you need someone to do the hobbits, I'll have a go.

*nods decisively* Yes, I shall indeed try.

~Sorrow

Is that too much information? I wasn't sure what would qualify as character info, and what would qualify under "essays".

I also have information collected under the uses/properties of the palantir, which I'm not sure fits under the character fact sheet. Should that be written as a separate research article?

Aralanthiriel, this is great. The information under character description was intended to be mostly physical description. I'd like to hold onto some of what was posted, and move the rest, as it would be better as a linked essay. I'll move it and hold it if you don't want to post a separate piece under General. The palantir article would be good as a separate article that can be linked later, so you can post it now under General, or send it to me and I'll set it up offlist.

Great work!
Yllyn

I'll move it and hold it if you don't want to post a separate piece under General. The palantir article would be good as a separate article that can be linked later, so you can post it now under General, or send it to me and I'll set it up offlist.

Okay, I've posted the palantir article under "General". I'll let you decide which parts of the bio to move/hold.

Thanks for your time! This project is great!

~Aralanthiriel

This project is great

Wait until we get the links and timelines going!
And if you want to spread the word about doing bio sheets, the more volunteers, the quicker we'll enough to set it to public view.

Yllyn

Ang wrote:

Klose and Aralanthiriel are both official HASA Researchers now! Lab coats optional. >D

Ooh, Lab Coats... I'm getting one! Yay.

-Klose, Dr. (I wish!)

Where do I find these character factsheets? If you need another volunteer, I'm in.

Finch

Where do I find these character factsheets? If you need another volunteer, I'm in.

Actually Finch, it won't take that much time to do any on sheet, and I'm delighted to count you in. We are working toward a standard format, and these are still in beta stage, so little format things may get changed.

Ang will switch you to 'researcher' status, and send an email explaining how to access the page. Might have to wait a bit, as I know she was up late last night watching a certain movie.

Note that Bilbo is done, and can serve as a model. We are trying to get consistent about dating. So far I like Klose's I, II, III, IV as indicators for first, second, third and fourth ages. Pre Trees and Trees also can be used.

Welcome!

Lyllyn

Suilad,

I'm new here and very interested in helping in the research field. I already have an outline of a timeline on Legolas and would be glad to contribute to a fact sheet on him. I could easily handle the basic fact sheet/ bio categories you have listed above if it's not already been done. I could probably target contributing an essay or two as well.

Here's the link to the timeline as it is now -

http://woodrealm.tripod.com/legolasresearchandfanclub/id27.html

I would be interested to know what level of detail this would need to come up to.

I've also been working on learning Sindarin for almost a year and though I am far from an expert, I could possibly be a resource in that area as well.

Cuio mae,
Ithildin

Great! Expect to be contacted by Yllyn on this. We *definitely* need Legolas materials.

Thank you very much for volunteering!

Ang

I'm new here and very interested in helping in the research field. I already have an outline of a timeline on Legolas and would be glad to contribute to a fact sheet on him. I could easily handle the basic fact sheet/ bio categories you have listed above if it's not already been done. I could probably target contributing an essay or two as well.

Thank you for volunteering Ithildin! HASA can use all the help and character essays we can get. The simple bio on Legolas has been done, but an expanded bio or essay or timeline would be most welcome. I know Ang has interesting plans for linking the timelines in, and I don't know yet how that will work. I will consult with Ang on that and let you know.

In terms of detail, the more detail you can find the better, and it should be referenced. Since there are so many editions, we are suggesting that references be to chapter number and name. Ex: Ch 1, Book 2 'Many Meetings' FoTR. I appreciate that there simply isn't as much known about Legolas as many of us would like, so the more you can find, the better. There is certainly also room for essays containing speculation, labeled as such and founded on available information.
The Michael Martinez essays on various Tolkien subjects are a prime example. I don't agree with all of his conclusions, but it is interesting to see what he can wring out of the known canon.

I've also been working on learning Sindarin for
> almost a year and though I am far from an expert, I
> could possibly be a resource in that area as well.
>
> Cuio mae,
> Ithildin

Many authors are interested in help with Sindarin. If you were willing to do something in that direction you could:
Write a research article with some frequently requested Sindarin phrases OR
Start a discussion in the resource forum on Sindarin OR
Start a thread in the research question discussion offering to answer questions on Sindarin.
I'm sure any of these would be useful to members and most welcome.

Anyone out there with some other ideas on this?

Lyllyn

Having the books right in my hands on the weekend and feeling the need to see more facsheets up, I got a lot of easy-to-fill characters started. I just have a problem with the "character description" field, because my books are in Portuguese and I don't want to risk a wrong quotation... so, when anyone has time, be my guest to take any character you like and fill in a short physical description or correct something you think is off.

I can write some of those descriptions if they don't have to be exact quotations. Yllyn? What say you?

I can write some of those descriptions if they don't have to be exact quotations.
I would say as long as they are accurate to canon, exact quotes shouldn't matter. If you say 'paraphrased' people will know it is not an exact quote.

Thanks, Dimmie!

Now that you've got me inspired, I'll work on some of them, too.

Lyllyn

If you need more volunteers, I'm willing. Is there a list, besides those already mentioned above, of what characters are taken?

Nellie

If you need more volunteers, I'm willing. Is there a list, besides those already mentioned above, of what characters are taken?

Volunteers are always very welcome! If you click on Resources on the left hand list, and then Character bios, you should see 1st a list of simple biographies, 2nd biographies in progrees, and 3rd no biographies. Some of those on the first two lists may not be as complete as possible, feel free to add additional material with citation as appropriate. Anything on the 3rd list is wide open.

Check out one of the finished ones, such as Bilbo or Arwen as a model, we are trying to keep the format standard. Be sure to change the bio condition to the appropriate status.

Ying, I will change your access to research, and you will get an email shortly.

Thanks again for helping HASA to build up the database.

Yllyn

Thank you, Yllyn, I'm in.

I'll be starting with Celeborn since I've just finished reading Unfinished Tales.

Nellie (Ying)

Howdy, Ying! Celeborn will be great. I think Mike will be working on Galadriel.

Yllyn, I just finished up Gollum's basic chart.

Ang

Thanks Ang, and thanks for moving him to the 'completed' status.

I'm going to go through the 'in progress' bios in the next few days, and move some that look complete. I gather some researchers are unsure when to label them complete. This is a good time to remind people that even when you feel it is complete and change the status, if more information is found it can still be updated, no problem.

I'll start a discussion when we get enough bios up, so any member can suggest additions.

Lyllyn

Celeborn will be great. I think Mike will be working on Galadriel.

Gotcha. Somehow, it seems logical to stay with Celeborn's family tree for now.

Also, given the rather contradictory histories JRRT had written for Celeborn (and Galadriel), I'm leaving it to whoever wants to write the in-depth research article and keep simple bio as simple as I can...

Also, given the rather contradictory histories JRRT had written for Celeborn (and Galadriel), I'm leaving it to whoever wants to write the in-depth research article and keep simple bio as simple as I can...

That sounds like the best plan for the simple bios. You can leave it at 'controversial' for some of the fields, and the in-depth articles can explore the fine points.

And to all who celebrate New Years today, Happy New Year!

Lyllyn

Hello, I'm new and eager to help. *wave*
Is there anybody needing help out there? I just got my lab-coat but standing around doing nothing.

-Loqi

Is there anybody needing help out there? I just got my lab-coat but standing around doing nothing.

We need all the help we can get, roll up those nice white sleeves!

We are still at the 'simple biography phase,' although close to the halfway mark. Click on 'character bios' under Resources on the left hand bar, or you can access it from the Resources main page.

You will see a list of characters under 'complete bios,' one under 'bios in progress,' and a third with no bios. All are fair game. For most of the ones under 'complete' there won't be any additional material in LOTR or Sil to add, but there may be additional material in History of Middle-earth or Unfinished Tales or Letters of JRR Tolkien for those who have them available.

Many of those under 'In progress are complete or very close to it. Some still have a blank description area, and there may or may not be material available for that space. If you see a blank where you have material to add, click on edit and add your material, as well as your name and the date at the bottom.

The third category has nothing entered. Pick one you would like to work on and it's yours. Don't worry if you have to leave blanks, if there is material available, eventually someone will fill it in.

If you need additional help or information, post or email and I'll get you what you need.

Lyllyn

Since I'm now skulking about on this project, poking my nose in lots, I have a question of etiquette. For the simple bios, if someone is already working on one, but you notice something missing, can you add it? Or do you need to get permission from the person who originally claimed that character?

We're just adding whenever we find a missing tidbit or an interesting quote to add; no need to ask for permission.

Ying

Though if you think you need to make a significant correction, I think it would be polite to let Yllyn know, in case there is some question later down the line.

Correcting a typo, nah.

Ang

We're just adding whenever we find a missing tidbit or an interesting quote to add; no need to ask for permission.

I agree, this is just fill-in-the-blanks stuff. I'm leaving the ones I've done in the 'in progress' section for a few days after I've finished, just in case someone has additional data. I expect that many of us will not have ALL the books: Hobbit, LoTR, UT, HoME and Letters; I know I don't. You lucky ones who do, add away.

Lyllyn

I can't promise anything in the immediate future, but at some point I would like to take on more extended treatments of "Hobbits" and "Dwarves" . I do have all the books (plus a bunch of other stuff - but no movie-verse materials), and I would like to see Dwarves in particular with information gathered into fact sheet and some critical essays.

Ang

Characters have gotten added to the drop-down as stories have come in, and they are now available for factsheets under character bios. The characters are:
Adrahil,
Ioreth,
Narvi,
Asfaloth
Voronwe

All open for additions! Ioreth, Dwim, Ioreth!

Lyllyn

There are 2 more characters added to the list: Ingwe and Amarie.

~Loqi

I'm glad you took a few of the recent additions on, Loqi. I expect we'll see more trickling in as people make requests.

Still no takers on 'None' or 'Other,' though.

Lyllyn

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Reference Library - entries, requests, etc.