Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: The timing of the Two Trees of Valinor.

The timing of the Two Trees of Valinor.

Em…I’m just a little confused with the timing of the Two Trees of Valinor. I’ve read the paragraph from the Beginning of Days over and over, but I still don’t understand fully.

Telperion came first into bloom, then while he waned Laurelin waxed, that was the first mingling of lights right? Then Laurelin began to wane and Telperion wax and the day ended with the second mingling, but what then happened to Telperion? Did he continue to shine, depriving Valinor of sleep? Or did he wane too afterwards.

I’m a little confused…

Can anyone help me?

Re: The timing of the Two Trees of Valinor.

I don't know if I can help, but I was just re-reading this this morning. A day in Valinor was only 12 hours. Each tree waxes and waned its glory in seven hours. So, Telperion flowered for six hours, and waned the seventh hour. In that seventh hour Laurelin waxed, so in that seventh hour the lights mingled. Then Laurelin's light shone for six hours more, and in the twelth hours of the day ceased her blossoming. The twelth hour was hour one for Telperion, so again the lights mingled for an hour.

Apparently there was light all day! The day began with the mingling of lights and ended with the mingling of lights.

Maybe they did not need to sleep in Aman, or did it in light.

Nilmandra

Re: The timing of the Two Trees of Valinor.

Maybe they did not need to sleep in Aman, or did it in light.

Well, I'd imagine that the light of Telperion would be more like moonlight, so it would be easier to sleep with that than while Laurelin was on the wax.

-Aerlinnel

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum