Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Concerning hobbits: money and medicine

Concerning hobbits: money and medicine

I'm concerned this may be stated obviously somewhere in the legendarium, but I thought I would ask.  How do folk in the Shire pay for things?  Do they use money? (and if so, what do we know about their money?)  Or do they barter, or both?

Also, I was wondering what they do when someone is sick?  I'm taking midwives for granted in the case of pregnancy, but for other stuff, do they have apothecaries or pharmacists, or grocers?  It's partly a question of terminology as well.  Do they send for a "doctor"?  Or for a "healer"?  (I suspect "doctor," but that's me guessing.)

Re: Concerning hobbits: money and medicine

"I'm concerned this may be stated obviously somewhere in the legendarium, but I thought I would ask.  How do folk in the Shire pay for things?  Do they use money? (and if so, what do we know about their money?)  Or do they barter, or both?"

Actually, it looks as though I have just found an answer to this question on the Barrow-Downs forums: http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5905

If anyone has further information on the subject, though, I would welcome it.  Meanwhile I continue to look for information re: halfling medical practices.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum