Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Names of Sauron

Names of Sauron

I've been researching other names that Ol' Red-Eye has used, and, aside from Gorthaur (the Cruel) and of course Annatar (everyone's favorite gift-giver in Second Age M-e, what do you say to the gift that keeps on enslaving, eh?!); don't remember anything mentioned in LOTR or the Silm.  However, at Encyclopedia of Arda, the names Aulendil and Artano are mentioned - does anyone know if these two names are mentioned in any Tolkien work, or in HoME or in Tolkien's Letters? 

I've heard of, on one Tolkien website, and in the footnotes of a story at StoriesofArda.com, a name that was supposedly used by Sauron before he defected to Melkor - Mairon; but the source material mentioned is an issue of a Tolkien language periodical, which I can't access, so I'm a bit iffy about using it...

RAKSHA

Re: Names of Sauron

Hi Raksha,

Which periodical/issue? If it's Vinyar Tengwar or Parma Eldalamberon I probably have it and can check the reference for you.

Hi, Nath:

I believe it's Parma Eldalamberon, and I think it's either issue #7 or 17...That would be great if you could find it; and tell me how they came up with the info - I think it was said to be from Tolkien's notes?

Hi Raksha!

Back when I was obsessively creating family trees, I, too, tried to dig up all the names referring to Sauron, and found quite a few. Aulendil and Artano are also on my list, but unfortunately I don't remember where I got them... will search around a bit and let you know. (I've never had access to those language publications, so it must have come from somewhere else.. but since it was so long ago, it might possibly have been Encyclopedia of Arda... I might have made a note to research the names (since EoA doesn't give citations), but never did....)

BTW, Raksha, one of my favorite non-canon epithets for Sauron comes from you, in a review of my drabble, Triumph Incarnate, that you left on the Stories of Arda site (in ET's Dribs and Drabbles):
ol' Tall, Very Dark and Soon To Be Less Handsome
I *still* crack up at that one!

Anyway, here's the list I made long ago, before I had access to HoME and Letters... Will post again if I find more there. ;-)

Sauron 'The Abhorred'
Annatar 'Lord of Gifts'
Artano 'High-smith'
Aulendil 'Servant of Aulë'
Gorthauer 'The Cruel'
Base Master of Treachery
King of Kings
King of Men
Lord of Barad-dûr
Lord of Mordor
Lord of the Earth
Lord of the Rings
Lord of the World
Lord of Werewolves
Lord Sauron the Great
Master of the Dark Tower of Mordor
The Biggest Boss
The Black Hand
The Black Master
The Black One
The Dark Lord
The Deceiver
The Great Eye
The Lidless Eye
The Maia
The Nameless
The Necromancer
The Power of the Black Land
The Shadow in the East
The Sorcerer of Dol Guldur
The Terrible
The Unnamed

Hope this helps! Because, hey, one can never have too much obsessiveness in one's life, right?

- Barbara

Hi Raksha,

I searched all the HoME texts and Letters, and couldn't find either Aulendil (except as applied to Mahtan, Nerdanel's father).or Artano. I hope Nath has better luck with other sources....

But, from the HoME index, I found a few more names... mostly obsolete ones, but who knows what a fertile author's mind can do with them? LOL!

Adûnaic?: Zigûr
Thû
Sauro, Súro, Sûr
Gorsodh, Gorthû
Old English: Saweron, se Malsca 'of Sauron'
Wolf-Sauron
the wizard
the Magician

Hope this helps, Raksha!

- Barbara

And I thought that Aragorn had a lot of names!  LOL.

As for Ol' Tall Very Dark and Soon To Be Far Less Handsome, Sauron wasn't exactly the brightest bulb among the Evil Ainur/Valar contingent, was he?!  Hanging out in Numenor and watching the Valar's vengeance roll in with a bang, and not realizing he might lose more than his lunch?  And then there's the little matter of his Ring being at large, in enemy hands, and Sauron doesn't put even one eensy-weensy little Orc guard at the Sammath Naur? 

Actually, I just found the names Artano and Aulendil in the notes in Unfinished Tales - note #7 or 8 for the chapter about Celeborn and Galadriel.

RAKSHA

Hi Raksha!

As for Ol' Tall Very Dark and Soon To Be Far Less Handsome, Sauron wasn't exactly the brightest bulb among the Evil Ainur/Valar contingent, was he?! Hanging out in Numenor and watching the Valar's vengeance roll in with a bang, and not realizing he might lose more than his lunch?

ROTFLMAO!

Actually, I just found the names Artano and Aulendil in the notes in Unfinished Tales - note #7 or 8 for the chapter about Celeborn and Galadriel.

DOH! Of course it was in the one book I forgot to search... other than The Hobbit, that is! *snerk*

Thanks for letting me know... I'm glad I didn't use a couple of names without knowing they came from somewhere in Tolkien's writings, anyway... LOL!

- Barbara

Found it Smile

Parma Eldalamberon 17, pg. 183

It's under the entry for SAWA (a root meaning disgusting, foul, vile). The relevant part of the entry reads:

Sauron's original name was Mairon, but this was altered after he was suborned by Melkor. But he continued to call himself Mairon, the Admirable, or Tar-mairon 'King Excellent' until after the downfall of Númenor.

The material in this issue of PE comes from papers Tolkien compiled in the 60s, dealing with languages and names in the first edition of LotR. PE and Vinyar Tengwar are both published by the 'official' team who are working on ordering and publishing Tolkien's linguistic notes, and they are authorised by Christopher Tolkien and have access to (photocopies of) material at Marquette and the Bodleian. So, their info is quite 'safe', if not always consistent with published material, earlier issues of PE/VT or for instance HoME (because Tolkien kept changing his mind *g*)

This is excellent provenance (spelling?), Nath - Thanx much! 

Sauron styled himself after the manner of a Numenorean king?  That's interesting?  I bet he loved corrupting the Numenoreans, encouraging their arrogance, etc.

Quick question - But he continued to call himself Mairon, the Admirable - do you think that means that Mairon literally means the Admirable, or he called himself Mairon the Admirable, i.e. the Admirable as a separate epithet?  I'm not sure I need that particular distinction for the ficlet I want to slightly polish, so if it takes time to find that information again, don't bother.  (I did want the information on the name Mairon, and the reference, that is fantastic)

Thanx again!

RAKSHA

The passage itself can be read both ways *g*, but elsewhere in that issue there's the root MAY with among the derived words listed the Quenya adjective maira, admirable, excellent, so I'd say the literal meaning of Mairon is 'the admirable one'.

And you're welcome

My, my, The Deceiver certainly had a healthy sense of self-esteem from the beginning, didn't he!

Mairon and Curumo so had to have been pals, if they weren't rivals in Aule's service; maybe they were both.  (and no, I am not going to run out and write a Sauron/Saruman slash piece; those two were more likely to be standing around admiring their hands, or their navels, or their craftsmanship, than actually making love to another person)  Now I'm wondering whether it was Mairon, Curumo or Feanor who invented black leather...

Thanx for the info!Cool

RAKSHA

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum