Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Destruction of Minas Morgul

Destruction of Minas Morgul

I am trying to figure out what the destruction of Minas Morgul and cleansing the Morgul vale would entail. I have read everything I could in LOTR and on the web, but I'm hoping someone can point me to some other canonical sources about the nature of evil, the form of evil, etc. they would encounter there. We know that the Nazgul are gone, but I'm picturing lingering spells causing magical and psychological pollution, and perhaps physical pollution as well.

Also, Elessar has Minas Morgul physically destroyed. How might that be accomplished? We know they have explosives used by Saruman, but that was a secret weapon of the enemy and possibly "out of bounds" for use by the good guys (like Ang's "dragonfire" in HOTK). Can anyone point me to sources that might explain how Wizards or Elves might destroy something physically? Do we know how Dol Guldur was destroyed?

Thanks!

-Raihon 

Re: Destruction of Minas Morgul

I don't know about canonical sources of information; but if I were Aragorn, I'd call in the Dwarves (after Faramir has cleared Minas Morgul of any lingering baddies and pests); as well as the best engineers of Gondor. I would imagine that Dwarves have ways to move stone. Also, didn't Boromir and Faramir destroy the bridge of Osgiliath rather than let Sauron's forces take it? Wouldn't Aragorn have access to whatever method they used?

As far as ecological cleansing of Mnas Morgul and the Morgul Vale; I think that might take a long time. Again, if I were Aragorn, I'd consult the remaining Elves, and bring in Radagast, to jump-start the process. (Radagast's redemption of parts of Mordor is not an original idea, Jodancingtree used it in her AU fic FOLLOWING THE OTHER WIZARD)

RAKSHA

Hi Raihon,

I'm not very comfortable speculating, myself, but I do believe that Tolkien gives us some clues to how the cleansing might begin:

Here are some relevant quotes from the Morgul Vale entry (the Morgul Vale is the great valley containing the city of Minas Morgul and the Morgulduin river):

[2002 III, the Fall of Minas Ithil:]
"...[the Nazgûl] took Minas Ithil and dwelt there, and they filled it, and all the valley about, with decay ..."

The Two Towers, LoTR Book 4, Ch 6, The Forbidden Pool

[I believe that the above quote shows that the Morgul Vale was not evil until the Nazgûl came, so there is hope that it can be restored to its uncorrupted state.]

"'You will have no lack of water as you walk in Ithilien, but do not drink of any stream that flows from Imlad Morgul, the Valley of Living Death.'"

The Two Towers, LoTR Book 4, Ch 7, Journey to the Cross-roads

"But against [the proposal to assail Minas Morgul] Gandalf had spoken urgently, because of the evil that dwelt in the valley, where the minds of living men would turn to madness and horror...."

The Return of the King, LoTR Book 5, Ch 10, The Black Gate Opens

"So they came slowly to the white bridge. Here the road, gleaming faintly, passed over the stream in the midst of the valley, and went on, winding deviously up towards the city's gate.... Wide flats lay on either bank, shadowy meads filled with pale white flowers. Luminous these were too, beautiful and yet horrible of shape, like the demented forms in an uneasy dream; and they gave forth a faint sickening charnel-smell; an odour of rottenness filled the air."

The Two Towers, LoTR Book 4, Ch 8, The Stairs of Cirith Ungol

[19 March 3019, the Host of the West comes to Morgul Vale:]
"All the land now brooded as at the coming of a great storm: for the Captains of the West had passed the Cross-roads and set flames in the deadly fields of Imlad Morgul."

The Return of the King, LoTR Book 6, Ch 3, Mount Doom

So, burning is likely to be the first step in the cleansing process for the Morgul Vale; otherwise, it would be dangerous to even approach the city itself.

Hope this helps!
- Barbara

Of course, Dwarves! Thanks for the idea. It will be fun to write some Legolas/Gimli bits into this.

-Raihon 

Thank you for the cites, Barbara. They are extremely helpful.

I also found something else on the nature of evil in Tolkein in an essay somewhere, relating evil to covetousness (e.g. the Ring).

-Raihon 

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum