Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Treebeard and Galadriel

Treebeard and Galadriel

I know I have read this somewhere. Did not Galadriel meet Treebeard somewhere after the War of The Rings? Is something written about this meeting in HOME? I need this for my story.

Doyonil

Re: Treebeard and Galadriel

Hi Doyonil

Do you mean the meeting at Isengard when the Hobbits and Arwen's wedding party are returning to the Shire?
Then Treebeard said farewell to each of them in turn, and he bowed three times slowly and with great reverence to Celeborn and Galadriel. 'It is long, long since we met by stock or by stone, A vanimar, vanimálion nostari!' he said. 'It is sad that we should meet only thus at the ending. For the world is changing: I feel it in the water, I feel it in the earth, and I smell it in the air. I do not think we shall meet again.'

And Celeborn said: 'I do not know, Eldest.' But Galadriel said: 'Not in Middle-earth, nor until the lands that lie under the wave are lifted up again. Then in the willow-meads of Tasarinan we may meet in the Spring. Farewell!'

The Return of the King, LoTR Book 6, Ch 5, Many Partings

Or do you mean another meeting? (In which case I will do more digging for you!)

HTH

Cheers, Liz

Hi Liz!

Yup! That's what I was looking for. I knew  I had read it somewhere, but I couldn't remember where. I was wondering where  Galadriel said they would meet again. And if its Tasarinan, then they're bound to meet after the World is remade and the Silmarillions got out and Feanor returned etc. I was planning to shape this statement as an epilogue to my story. Anyway, can you check whether there is any account of this meeting in the HoME? I don't have the books with me, and if there is no such description, I can make things go just the way I want.

Thanks a lot!

Doyonil

Hi Doyonil

I knew I had read it somewhere, but I couldn't remember where.

Isn't that frustrating? (Especially when you're convinced it's in a different text to the one it's actually in, so you get cross when you can't find it...)

Anyway, can you check whether there is any account of this meeting in the HoME?

I've done a search on Treebeard and not come up with anything. However, that's a part of the legendarium that I'm not very familiar with, so I can't promise I didn't miss something.

if there is no such description, I can make things go just the way I want.

Ah, but even if there is, HoMe is "not canon" (i.e. published in Tolkien's lifetime), so you could argue that you can ignore it and do your own thing....

HTH

Cheers, Liz

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum