Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Timelines for the Shire?

Timelines for the Shire?

Oh Mighty Research Folk Who Dwell Places of the Unknown, could you be so kind as to tell me a place to find the timelines for the Shire during the War of the Ring? Everything else seems well enough documented. Perhaps I'm missing something. Thanks and biscuits for all of you. -- Love -- Molly

Re: Timelines for the Shire?

Hi Molly,

If you're looking for Tolkien's sources, I recommend the chapters "The Scouring of the Shire" and "The Grey Havens" in The Return of the King, "The Search for the Ring" in Unfinished Tales, and the Tale of Years (Appendix B) in the Appendices.

Here are some pertinent entries from The Tale of Years (Appendix B). Info in [brackets] is added by me to clarify.

3018/1418
September 23- Four Riders enter the Shire before dawn. The others pursue the Rangers eastward, and then return to watch the Greenway. A Black Rider comes to Hobbiton at nightfall. Frodo leaves Bag End. Gandalf having tamed Shadowfax rides from Rohan.
September 29- Frodo reaches Bree at night. Gandalf visits the Gaffer [in Hobbiton].September 30- Crickhollow and the Inn at Bree are raided [by Riders] in the early hours. Frodo leaves Bree. Gandalf comes to Crickhollow, and reaches Bree at night.

3019/1419
August 22- They [Gandalf and Hobbits and Others] overtake Saruman; Saruman turns towards the Shire.
September 22- The hundred and twenty-ninth birthday of Bilbo. Saruman comes to the Shire.
October 30- They [hobbits] leave Bree. The "Travellers" come to the Brandywine Bridge at dark.
November 1- They are arrested at Frogmorton.
November 2- They come to Bywater and rouse the Shire-folk.
November 3- Battle of Bywater, and Passing of Saruman. End of Ring War. [I believe, but am going by memory, that the Lockholes are liberated the next day; it's not specified here, but I think it is in "The Scouring of the Shire." In any event, Frodo is made deputy mayor around this point.]

3020/1420
March 13- Frodo is taken ill (on the anniversary of his poisoning by Shelob).
April 6- The mallorn flowers in the Party Field.
May 1- Samwise marries Rose.
Mid-year's Day. Frodo resigns office of mayor, and Will Whitfoot is restored.

3021/1421
March 25. Birth of Elanor the Fair, daughter of Samwise.
September 21- Frodo and samwise set out from Hobbiton [for the Havens].
September 22- They meet the Last Riding of the Keepers of the Rings in Woody End.
September 29- They come to the Grey Havens. Frodo and Bilbo depart over Sea with the Three Keepers.
October 6- Samwise returns to Bag End.

Re: Timelines for the Shire?

Marta, you're wonderful! Just what I needed! Biscuits and honey cakes for you! -- Love -- Molly

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum