Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: elven speach

elven speach

ok guys i love languge and speaking them. other than elen dictionaries is their any way to some form of elvish at this point i dont care what type

Re: elven speach

Dictionaries will only give you vocabulary. You'll still need to know sentence structure. The best way to do that is to grab your copy of RoTK and look at the appendix on languages. It'll get you started. Have Google close at hand, though; Tolkien was a linguist before he was ever a writer and he uses a lot of terminology you'll probably have to look up. The best dictionary out there available for download that I know of is one called Dragon Flame. It cites the reference for every word it's got in it. It's only Sindarin, though; no Quenya. And as for everything else, I can only tell you what not to do... 1. Go not to the Grey Company for counsel for they will say both 'no' and 'sheep.' 2. Don't bother with something called "Tel'Quessir." For one thing, it's made for the Forgotten Realms D&D universe. For another, it uses advice from Grey Company. 3. Don't just string together Sindarin words in an English sentence structure. That's not a different language, it's a cypher. 4. If you get stuck, don't try to go it alone, ask for advice. There are plenty of people out there on many message boards who know Elvish and most of them don't bite. ^_~ Hope some of that is helpful. ^_^ Bado na sídh. Berz.

1. Go not to the Grey Company for counsel for they will say both 'no' and 'sheep.' I'll have to remember that one...

1. Go not to the Grey Company for counsel for they will say both 'no' and 'sheep.' May I quote you on that?

There are several sites to which you can go to... in my opinion, the best one is The Fellowship of the Words-smiths site. It has quotes from the movies, including the songs from the soundtrack, and analyses every single word to a tee. It even has poems and such in Tolkien's languages, which I think it's pretty cool... If you want to delve more deeply though, the same site offers a Sindarin (and Quenya, if I remember correctly) course, which you can download and use it. Be warned though, it's kinda big... Here's the link: http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/language.htm Garo galu! (good luck!)

Have a look in the HASA Resources' URL Library, under Languages - several excellent sites are listed there. In addition to the ones people have already mentioned I'd say Ardalambion (in the list, but the URL is: http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/ ) which has sections both on Quenya and Sindarin as well as some more obscure Elven tongues such as Telerin and Nandorin (though as the site points out hardly anything is known about these). I find Ardalambion's Sindarin section - useful for grammar - and the Hisweloke/Dragon Flame dictionary usually do me for the short chunks of Sindarin I try to put into fics. Cheers, Azalais

May I quote you on that? Wish I could say yes, but I read it somewhere else. For the life of me, I can't remember where I read it, but it's not mine. Alas, I am not so witty as that! Bado na sídh. Berz.

thaqnks to all ive been working on a story for months but with moving and school ive goyyen off track these links should help

I think there may be some languages information in HoME. I'd have to go back and check, but I'm pretty sure I read something there.

There's lots of stuff on the Tolkienian languages in HoME. It all depends on what you're looking for. There's stuff on Adunaic in "Sauron Defeated." There's stuff on the split between Quenya and Sindarin under an essay entitled "The Shibbolith of Fëanor" in "The Peoples of Middle-earth." And I remember something about the elvish languaes in whichever volume it was that talked about the development of the Appendices. ^_^ Bado na sídh. Berz.

Re: HoME resources

Hi Berz! Peoples of Middle Earth (XII) contains the drafts of the appendices and there is a lot of interesting information about the development of the various languages in there. War of the Jewels (XI) contains'Quendi and Eldar' an in-depth essay on the elvish languages, and Lost Road (V) contains the The Etymologies - essential for language studies. It takes a good bit of knowledge to sort out the differing forms and versions of Elvish that appear there, though. For anyone embarking upon the study of the elvish languages, I highly recommend the language resource information and links on the Language Help Desk thread at LOTR Fanatics Plaza in the Languages Forum - it is the most accurate briefing and collection of reliable links I have found: http://www.lotrplaza.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=42&TopicID=165525&PagePosition=1 http://www.lotrplaza.com/forum/houseroomview.asp?house=288&room=1 Ithildin *(

There's also the 'Lhammas' in HOME V which has a fair bit about the development etc of different language. Hope it helps Elcalion

Na vedui, Ithildin! Lú and, ú-tirad! ^_^ Berz.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum