Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Square or Round?

Square or Round?

Is there any indication whether the White Tower was square or round? The picture in the ATLAS OF MIDDLE-EARTH shows a round tower, but for some reason, in my mind's eye, I see it with corners. Any help appreciated! Branwyn

Re: Square or Round?

Is there any indication whether the White Tower was square or round? "standing high within the topmost walls shone out against the sky, glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver, tall and fair and shapely, and its pinnacle glittered as if it were wrought of crystals; and white banners broke and fluttered from the battlements in the morning breeze..." The Return of the King, LoTR Book 5, Ch 1, Minas Tirith I personally believe that "shapely" is more likely to describe a round tower than a square one... Or oval, maybe? - Barbara

I'm away from my books, so I can't look it up, but I seem to remember the topmost chamber being described as round. Anyone confirm? Berz.

I personally believe that "shapely" is more likely to describe a round tower than a square one... Or oval, maybe? Certainly a shapely woman is presumed to be round and not square! (That seems to be the usual context for that word, LOL). Thank you very much! Damn, now I have to decide if the stairs in a round tower would be interrupted by a landing on each floor or would run in a continuous spiral... Branwyn

I'm away from my books, so I can't look it up, but I seem to remember the topmost chamber being described as round. I can't find anything describing the topmost chamber of the White Tower as round, but the topmost chamber of the Tower of Cirith Ungol is indeed round. The closest I could find was this: "At once [Gandalf] went to Denethor. The Lord of the City sat now in a high chamber above the Hall of the White Tower with Pippin at his side; and through the dim windows, north and south and east, he bent his dark eyes, as if to pierce the shadows of doom that ringed him round." The Return of the King, LoTR Book 5, Ch 4, The Siege of Gondor But that doesn't appear to be the topmost chamber (where the palantir is), and I think the "ringed him round" phrase just means that the darkness surrounded it. There may be more there that I didn't find by searching for "chamber", though... - Barbara

Just watch the movie and go with that. Although I don't know if they showed the tower in the movie... The whole thing is just Minas Tirith to me.

Damn, now I have to decide if the stairs in a round tower would be interrupted by a landing on each floor or would run in a continuous spiral... Would that be decided by which is better for defense? That came out weird, but I feel weird tonight, so that's probably why. What I mean is that if for some reason the Tower had to be defended from the inside, is it strategically better to have landings or not? I don't have an answer, btw. Just throwing it out there.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum