Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Games that Gondorian families might play

Games that Gondorian families might play

I'm trying to figure out what medieval or byzantine game of skill might be suitable for an aristocratic Gondorian family, parents and children, to play together. And would Chess be played in the same milieu as draughts; since draughts seem to be similar to checkers? RAKSHA

Re: Games that Gondorian families might play

Raksha-- Watch the silver scales flash as Branwyn rises to the bait--I really can't resist.... I believe that chess originated in India around 500 AD. From there it went to the Mideast then on to Byzantium. By around 1000 AD, it had spread throughout Europe, including to England. Some of the rules were different, but the game would still be recognizeable to a modern person. The game of checkers predates chess, so no reason not to have them both being played in the same household. Casting dice or knucklebones is not a game of skill but was widely enjoyed in medieval times, including by children. There was a game played with stones called Nine Men's Morris; I have never played it, but it looks like a complicated version of tic-tac-toe. Taking turns asking and solving riddles is another possible pastime. Hope that is helpful. Branwyn

When my children were young we enjoyed playing a game called Mancala, which I believe originated in Ethiopia. The game is played with stones, and a polished wooden board, (or holes in the ground, or even bare ground) - items or conditions which would certainly have been readily available in Gondor, even for soldiers in the field. You can learn a bit more about Mancala here. Sounds like something very interesting is on the way, Raksha! Ann

You might also look up the rules for the Japanese game Go. It sounds like you were thinking something from Mediterranean regions, but hear me out. First of all, the basic concept behind Go is a battle between light (the white stones) and dark (the black stones). Any society greatly affected by such battles in their daily lives (much like Gondor; or even Númenor, it could be that old) is liable to come up with a game based around that concept. Also, Go is a game based on winning territory. This is a concept well-known in Gondor as its basically been at war for its entire existance. Granted, with periods of relative peace, but war was always looming over there on the Eastern horizon. Just a little bit of food for thought. ^_^ Bado na sídh. Berz.

"Casting dice or knucklebones is not a game of skill but was widely enjoyed in medieval times, including by children. There was a game played with stones called Nine Men's Morris; I have never played it, but it looks like a complicated version of tic-tac-toe. Taking turns asking and solving riddles is another possible pastime" Thanx, Branwyn. Can dice or knucklebones be played by several players, i.e. more than two people? I think I'll check and see whether Hounds and Jackals can be played by multiple players; since I alluded to a M-e game based on it (and made up by me) in an earlier chapter. RAKSHA

"Sounds like something very interesting is on the way, Raksha! Ann" Thanx, Ann. Actually, it's for the 16th chapter of HOME TO HEAL, the epic I'm co-writing with Clairon at ff.net and Storiesofarda.com; third in a trilogy, Faramir & friends/family in the Fourth Age. After putting Faramir through 15 chapters of nightmares, angst, an assasination attempt and worse, I thought the poor guy deserved a nice quiet evening at home with Eowyn and the kids before the crisis-in-the-background comes to the fore. (this is an AU, he's got six kids and one more on the way) I've spent hours agonizing over medieval menus, for just one sentence in one paragraph...Call me obsessive. RAKSHA

Thanx, Berz. Go sounds marvelous; except I'd need a new name for it, and I need a game that can be played by 5-7 people. RAKSHA, who will check out Go as well as the other games

Found them! and bookmarked them to enjoy later, as a reward when I ever get caught up with my to-do list for the weekend! Ann

Let me know how you like them. I didn't have anything to do with the first story, beta'd the second and started co-writing around chapter 11, and totally co-plot and co-write the third, which is loooooong (gonna be 30+ chapters). Reviews, even unfavorable ones, are encouraged! RAKSHA

Raksha-- I only just found this because I didn't set the e-mail alert (oops). The period (medieval or older) depictions I have run across for knucklebones show two players, but I don't see why a group couldn't play either knucklebones or dice. (I was recently researching the game of knucklebones). You play for the highest score, and no "pot" of winnings has to be involved (so it doesn't have to be gambling). I have read that the modern descendant of knucklebones is the game of jacks that young girls still play. Hope this is helpful! Branwyn

"The period (medieval or older) depictions I have run across for knucklebones show two players, but I don't see why a group couldn't play either knucklebones or dice. (I was recently researching the game of knucklebones). You play for the highest score, and no "pot" of winnings has to be involved (so it doesn't have to be gambling). I have read that the modern descendant of knucklebones is the game of jacks that young girls still play. Hope this is helpful! Branwyn" Thanx, Branwyn. I'll probably go with knucklebones as a group game. I played jacks at summer camp; it was a big favorite with girls. I was never much good at it. Never knew it was a descendant of knucklebones, though! That's neat. RAKSHA

Here, we have a game that's something like a modified version of checkers (if I'm not very confused) - nine white bits in the center of the board, four black at each corner. The object is to (obviously) eliminate everything of the other colour. It's incredibly difficult, whether you're white or black, and very, very annoying.

Which game is this? Knucklebones or draughts? Or is it another game? Thanx for your input, Noldo. RAKSHA

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum