Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Where is Merry called "Master Perian"?

Where is Merry called "Master Perian"?

In my copy of RoTK (the movie cover paperback with Aragorn and his phallic symbol sword), there is an entry in the Index under "Hobbits": Master Perian (Merry) 966. But if I go and read page 966, and the several before and after it, I don't see it. (Notice that I didn't say it's not there...) If somebody can find that reference and tell me where it is so I can read it myself, I would very much appreciate it! I'd like to put that nickname into my Genealogies, but I won't do so unless I see a real quote with my own limpid blue eyes... Thank you! - Barbara

Re: Where is Merry called

Here it is: 'Come, Master Perian!' said the lad. 'You are still in pain, I see. I will help you back to the Healers. But do not fear! They will come back. The Men of Minas Tirith will never be overcome. And now they have the Lord Elfstone, and Beregond of the Guard too.' That's (almost) at the beginning of Chapter 10: The Black Gate Opens (no idea about the page number, but I love that text version I have on my notebook: not good for reading but excellent for searching) fliewatuet

If somebody can find that reference and tell me where it is so I can read it myself, I would very much appreciate it! I'd like to put that nickname into my Genealogies, but I won't do so unless I see a real quote with my own limpid blue eyes... A woman after my own heart. It took a little, but I found it: RotK, Book V, Chapter 10, The Black Gate Opens. It should be within the first few pages, and Bergil calls him that. lyllyn Edited Urk, crosspost! You beat me to it, Fliewatuet.

That's (almost) at the beginning of Chapter 10: The Black Gate Opens (no idea about the page number, but I love that text version I have on my notebook: not good for reading but excellent for searching) fliewatuet Ah, thank you, fliewatuet! And my laptop is in the Houses of Healing, so I restored my electronic copy onto my desktop and loaded it into Word. But, whenever I try to do *anything*, like search or save as, the window starts blinking and I have to kill Word from Task Manager. Probably because I had opened the thing in Word XP, but only have Word 2000 on my old desktop. - Barbara *grumbling about stupid computers...* (Edit: ) P.S. it's on page 866... *grumbling about stupid indices*

A woman after my own heart. Obsessive, right? Or is it that you like limpid blue eyes *she asked while s-l-o-w-l-y edging away from Lyllyn...* Thank you! - Barbara

A woman after my own heart. Obsessive, right? Unquestionably! Or is it that you like limpid blue eyes *she asked while s-l-o-w-l-y edging away from Lyllyn...* You're probably wise to edge away, but not for that reason. It's the resouce!nuzguls that are the real danger... and as usual, I have a few nice cuddly ones right here... Lyllyn

It's the resouce!nuzguls that are the real danger... and as usual, I have a few nice cuddly ones right here... Lyllyn Shrieeeeeeeeek! - Barbara

And my laptop is in the Houses of Healing, so I restored my electronic copy onto my desktop and loaded it into Word. But, whenever I try to do *anything*, like search or save as, the window starts blinking and I have to kill Word from Task Manager. Probably because I had opened the thing in Word XP, but only have Word 2000 on my old desktop. Uh, I wish your laptop all the best. I know why I avoid Word like the plague. I have a good old ASCII text version of the texts, which can be read with almost everything. P.S. it's on page 866... *grumbling about stupid indices* I could not even find the Master Perian reference in the index at first ... fliewatuet

And where does one find an ASCII text version of the texts, prey tell? (I always thought it was "pray tell" but a friend who recently read "Robin Hood" aloud to her kiddles told me it was "prey tell". Wonder what the derivation of that is?) Lin

And where does one find an ASCII text version of the texts, prey tell? Dunno, my significant other got it from somewhere and I didn't ask. Obviously someone used a scanner and some OCR software, because the version I have is not free of errors (but it's sufficient for searching things). But if you're interested (or anyone else), just drop me an email at fliewatuet@gmx.net (as I assume that you all spent enough money on the books already ) fliewatuet

(I always thought it was "pray tell" but a friend who recently read "Robin Hood" aloud to her kiddles told me it was "prey tell". Wonder what the derivation of that is?)
I'm curious about this, because I have always understood pray tell to be a variant on the archaic rhetorical question, "I pray you", meaning you must tell me [example: what, pray, is the meaning of this behavior?] (source: The New Lexicon Webster's Dictionary of the English Language) According to Dictionary.com it means:
Main Entry: pray tell Definition: please do tell (about something) Source: Webster's New Millennium™ Dictionary of English, © 2003 Lexico Publishing Group, LLC
When I typed in prey tell I got this response:
No entry found for prey tell. Try looking up each word separately: prey tell
I would have thought that Dictionary.com would have something on it - after all, it's a multi-source dictionary. It even has the entry for froward. I suppose it's possible that prey tell is a more archaic rendering, like nightshade (the archaic meaning for which no dictionary outside the OED seems to have). If you can find out which edition of Robin Hood your friend was reading, and the context in which the term was used, I would be most interested. ~Nessime

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum