Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: tinted/stained glass in Minas Tirith

tinted/stained glass in Minas Tirith

I need to have at least one green-tinted or green stained glass window in the Library of Minas Tirith. Would they have had the technology? I know that in medieval Europe, they were doing amazing things with stained glass in the 12th century while building all those gorgeous gothic cathedral (Chartres, Notre-Dame de Paris, etc.). And would it be accurate to say that they would want stained or tinted glass in the library because it would let in less sunlight which would be good for preserving old parchments and texts...Though my green window has to let in some sunlight, because it's crucial to the story that the window emits a green glow/shine to the viewer when the sun shines on it. Raksha, grateful for any insight y'all might have.

Re: tinted/stained glass in Minas Tirith

content deleted by poster

Ah! I actually remember hearing/learning something about that many years ago. Do you think that a green tinted flat glass window would seem to glow a bit if, on a sunny day, sunlight were coming through the window into the interior? (i.e. the window not being in a shaded area) And out of curiosity, would there be some clear glass windows in the wealthier parts of Minas Tirith, not to mention the King's House and the Steward's House? Thanx much, Blue Iris!!! RAKSHA

content deleted by poster

Thanx much, B. Iris! You are a true lore-master! Or mistress. Whatever. RAKSHA THE Happy DEMON

Why would glass windows be so rare in Minas Tirith, when even the pubs (or at least one) in the Shire had them? And since Frodo's bedroom window had curtains (and not a shutter or shutters) it is more than reasonable to assume that Bag End was also possessed of them. In fact, if glass was common enough in the Shire that it was worth glazing the windows of a pub (I expect that hobbits were less rowdy at closing time on a weekend than humans), then I would have thought that this argues for the widespread use of glass. No?

I would think that it would be quite possible. I don't know specifically about the history of "glass," but I do a fair bit of pottery. I've been doing research lately on glaze making, which is an old old art, going back to ancient Egypt and who knows how many dynasties in China. Glazes on pottery are basically melted glass, being composed of silica and fluxes in various ratios. (You may remember, too, that glass windows were once called "glazings.") Colors found in pottery glazes are produced by the addition of mineral oxides. The vast majority of minerals in glazing (and hence glass-making, too) are found in nature, not produced synthetically. Not only the materials, but the process would be fairly easily accessible, too. If you wanted to, you could make a kiln in your own back yard. (I know people who have, actually). So, I don't see any reason why Minas Tirith wouldn't have appropriate technology and access to the resources to make colored glass. As far as extrapolating from something that is unique to the Shire to the rest of M-e, I'm somewhat hesitant to do that. I have... but often feel more comfortable placing it within the context of the 4th age (during peace time and increased trade between civilizations) and framing it as a new addition or something unusual. It seems to me that the Shire is prototypically Edwardian, with its waistcoats, mantle clocks, social structure, and values. It's set aside and different than the rest of the more "remote" medieval context of M-e. I think Tolkien had a distinct purpose in doing that. I think the hobbits and the Shire are, in a way, the contemporary reader's ticket into an age and land of ancient times, the bridge between modernity and myth. So, I'm reluctant to let too much of the culture of the Shire "bleed" into the rest of M-e. Silli

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum