Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: OC names

OC names

Am not completely sure how to use this area (resources). Could someone direct me? I did find the lists of names and things, but need a bit more... direction. I have figured out, or someone told me, that Rohirrim are often named with Old English names, and yes, I've found the links. Thanks! What language would the names of Gondor come from? (Boromir, Faramir, Beregond, Bergil, Denethor, Ecthelion, um...) I assume Elvish names are Quenya? or are they (darn, forget the other, it is too late for my brain to be awake) Sindarin? What about Dwarves? How about Orcs? (haven't had need of orc names yet, you never know) What other races am I forgetting? And what types of names would they have? I am feeling paranoid about using an Old English name for a character when it might turn out her name ought to be derived from the Norse. You know what I mean? I mean, why are there links to Norse names in the research links? What culture in M-E would draw from Norse? Sorry if I'm rambling. I've gone too many days without chocolate.

Re: OC names

Gondor is all Sindarin. Denethor, Faramir, Boromir, Beregond, et. al = Sindarin. Northern Dunedain are also Sindarin. Aragorn, Halbarad, Arathorn, Gilraen, Arvedui, et. al. = Sindarin words. Elves from Lorien, Rivendell, and Mirkwood are, yes, wait for it, Sindarin! Mostly. Galadriel is Quenya, as are names like Feanor. Some Numenoreans from the Second-early Third age have Quenya names. Isildur is Quenya, as is Elendil. Is Anarion? Sounds more Sindarin but it could be Quenya. councilofelrond.com has the most amazing Sindarin names dictionary ever. Dwarves I believe are Norse. I don't think I have a link bookmarked, but I am sure if you run a Google search for old Norse names, you will find tons. Rohirrim = Old English. Except now and then you stumble into, you'll never guess, Sindarin! Brego is Sindarin, as is Arod. Orcs = no clue. It kind of looks like the Black Language, but I don' know what that is derive from. I made up a harsh sounding word when I had to name an orc, whereas for others I could look up something legitimate and feel smart 'cause I had great names for OCs.

Mostly. Galadriel is Quenya, as are names like Feanor. I hope that someone with more knowledge than myself will please step in and correct where I am wrong, but I belive Galadriel's Quenya name was Nerwen. Galadriel is a Sindarin name, something along the lines of light-maiden. Feanor is the Sindarinized form of the Quenya Feanaro as far as Orcs, there is very little Black Speech available, I also use harsh sounding names. Vitzug, Mugzbur, Lhargsh

Thank you, Gypsum, this is just what I was asking. A question, then... Is there somewhere a list of standard endings for masculine and feminine names in Sindarin and Old English and Norse for that matter? something like: Male (Sind.) -mir -gond -gorn -or -il etc. Female (Sind.) -wyn -wen etc.

as far as Orcs, there is very little Black Speech available, I also use harsh sounding names. Vitzug, Mugzbur, Lhargsh Fascinating. I just ought to remember in the dim mist of the past my brothers' burping contests (chug a can of cola, see how many words you can burp out in a single string) and I bet I'd have a whole raft of orc names.

just ought to remember in the dim mist of the past my brothers' burping contests (chug a can of cola, see how many words you can burp out in a single string) and I bet I'd have a whole raft of orc names. ~Nessime PS - if you try this, please be sure to let us know the results. Perhaps in the form of a Research article on the creation of orc names...

Re: OC names - Sindarin endings

lindelea Is there somewhere a list of standard endings for masculine and feminine names in Sindarin and Old English and Norse for that matter? something like: Male (Sind.) -mir -gond -gorn -or -il etc. Female (Sind.) -wyn -wen etc. __________________________ Male (Sind.) -ion = son, -dir = man (as in male person, elf, whatever) -adan = man (as in mortal man) -ron = person? one who...? as in _faron_ - hunter, _tauron_ - forester, _ithron_ - wizard, etc. -or = one who...? as in _maethor_ - warrior, _bachor_ – peddler, _badhor_ - judge, etc. -tân = maker, craftsman (NOTE: this would lenit as the second element of a compound to _–dan_) -tôr = brother (NOTE: this would lenit as the second element of a compound to _–dor_) note: additional special cases could result in different or additional mutations. ______________________ Female (Sind.) -wen = maiden -iel = daughter/maiden -eth = general feminine ending _______________________ Most names though are simply compounds of two descriptive terms, including these listed above: -mir = jewel -gond = stone -gorn = valor Hope that helps some, Ithildin *(

So it would not be unreasonable for someone to hear the name Thorielin (and I'll be darned if I can find what elements I thwacked together to make that one up, but the last one was - lin 'to chant') and not know if the elf was male or female? Or does it just 'sound' 'female' or 'male' to someone more familiar with sindarin than I am? edit My eyes are getting old.- It's not Thorielin but Thonielin from kindler -thoniel and make a musical sound -lin- or to chant -lin So, male, female or it doesn't matter? Thanks Gwynnyd

Thonielin from kindler -thoniel and make a musical sound -lin- or to chant -lin So, male, female or it doesn't matter? In this case it does. _Thoniel_ already contains the feminine ending. _Thoniel_ is isolated from __Gilthoniel_ (_gil_ - n., star, + __thoniel_ - f. n., kindler). I, personally, have not come across any other suggested reconstructed words from further reducing the existing form. _Thôn_ is glossed – “pine tree.” Most nouns do not have gender, so you are right in that. A name such as _Luinmir_ “blue jewel” could be either masculine or feminine. (‘M’ usually lenits to ‘v’, but sometimes exceptions are made in compound – so _Luinvir_ could also be correct here.) Watch out for m. or f. endings incorporated into the words you choose as elements in a constructed compound. For example, _ceredir_ “maker” includes a masculine ending and would sound awkward in a feminine name. Ithildin *(

Admittedly I know nothing about language but what does lenit mean and how does it allow you to get from Luinmir to Luinvir? Nic

In this case it does. _Thoniel_ already contains the feminine ending. _Thoniel_ is isolated from __Gilthoniel_ (_gil_ - n., star, + __thoniel_ - f. n., kindler). Thank you. Drat. I wil have to rewrte that scene. I hate to sound more ignorant than necessary. Gwynnyd

Hi Nic, I gave a brief explanation of lenition in a post on the Grey Havens forum. You can find it in the Translation Request thread - the third post down. http://www.henneth-annun.net/members/forums/messages.cfm?confId=6&forumId=542&messageId=25461#25605 If it is still confusing you, post your questions in the Grey Havens forum Language Questions and Resources thread or in the Languages of Arda forum and I’ll try to explain further. Ithildin *(

A large majority of Gondorin names come from people who have already existed. Ecthelion, for example, was the elf who killed Gothmog in the fall of Gonolin. Beregond was someone related to Beren (cousin, I think).Denethor was, I believe, in Gondolin. The others I'm not sure of. It depends. Most Elven names are in Sindarin, but if the elf in question is one of the exiles, it's probably in Quenya (ie: Galadriel, Fëanáro, Maitimo, etc), although many of the Quenya names were translated into Sindarin (ie: Fëanáro to Fëanor). Dwarf names are usually in Westron. They have names in Khuzdûl, but they don't tell anyone because of their secretive nature when it concerns their language. Orcs named in Westron, the Black Speech, or the tongue of that particular Orc tribe. I would stick with Westron, merely because most Orcs didn't know the Black Speech, and no knows the various Orc tongues. Other races: Ents- They will have Sindarin names or Westron names. Treeish names, though. Ainur-They will have names in just about any tongue, but their true names are in Valarin. Random evil beings-Black speech if they are powerful and intelligent. Otherwise, Westron, or some tongue of their own. Hobbits-Hobbitish or Westron. I would go with flower names for the girls. I wouldn't know about the Norse thing. Probably some form of Elvish, though... -XNemesis

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum