Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Trade between Gondor and Harad

Trade between Gondor and Harad

Back in the days when relations between Gondor and Harad were better, what would they have traded between them?

At the moment (based on thinking about what Africa and Asia offered to Western Europe in the past), I can see Harad offering spices, silk and minerals which are rare or difficult to mine in Gondor, but all of those seem rather like "luxuries" and I could really do with something that's a bit more of a "necessity" for my fic.

And I'm coming up with a blank with what Gondor would offer back - the only thing I can think of is foodstuffs! And I really want something that is useful for Harad, but would not be of great military benefit to them.

Any suggestions most welcome

Cheers, Liz

Re: Trade between Gondor and Harad

Hm...this depends in good part on what you envision the climate and terrain of Harad to be like, and also which part they would be trading with; and also which metals are available where. But a few ideas:

Harad->Gondor
Animals & animal products - ivory, leather, hides, furs, feathers, 'medicinal', &c.
Foodstuffs - nuts, dates, spices, &c.
Ebony
Gum
Incense
Perfumes
Oils
Dyes

Gondor->Harad
Animals & animal products
Foodstuffs - grain, wine, &c.
Wool
Cotton
Lumber
Marble
Crafts - furniture, metalwork, glasswork, &c.

Things that might go either way/both ways:
Horses
Metals - iron, copper, lead, tin, &c.
Precious & semi-precious stones, beads
Salt
Ceramics

Elemmire

Re: Trade between Gondor and Harad

Hm...this depends in good part on what you envision the climate and terrain of Harad to be like, and also which part they would be trading with; and also which metals are available where

So your answer is: it depends? I was being non-specific because I was trying not to rule any possibilities out -- and that's a great list you've come up with. Many thanks!

I particularly like your suggestion of gum - I can see it being very frustrating for Gondor to no longer have access to various forms of gum and natural rubber that they'd become used to using.

Cheers, Liz

(I'm still open to other suggestions from anyone else)

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum