Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Ship traffic & runaway hobbits

Ship traffic & runaway hobbits

Am planning my Corsair tale, & had a couple of questions: would there be regular ship traffic around T. A. 2890 between Gondor & the Grey Havens? Would a Took who wanted to go to sea be likeliest to head to the Havens, & once there, would he find a ship from Dol Amroth to sign up on?

Regina

Re: Ship traffic & runaway hobbits

I haven't found any indication that Gondor had relations with anyone in the North after Arnor fell. If I recall correctly Imrahil tells Legolas that Elves have not been seen in Gondor in a long time, and makes some remark about his Elvish ancestry as "so it is told", or something of the sort, which implies to me that there has been no recorded confirmation of that tale aside from whatever records Gondor has. Of course, Mithlond would have no record of that anyways. But I'm inclined to believe that after Edhellond was deserted Gondor had little or no further contact with the Elves. I certainly got the impression that Imrahil had never met an Elf before.

As to the Took who goes to Sea - I've wondered about that as well. I think the evidence weighs against Men living near the Sea in the North - there's a comment about there being no one within 100 leagues of the Shire/Breeland, and also (I think) perhaps a comment about no mortals living West of the Shire. But I don't have my books with me at the moment, so I can't source any of that. IAC, if he went to sea in the North, it seems they Grey Havens were the place to do it.

In terms of a Hobbit going South, Gondor doesn't seem very familiar with halflings, apart from as matters of legend, so it seems unlikely that (m)any ever visited Gondor before the War of the Ring. But perhaps they did, and it has been forgotten, or become legend.

Another possibility would be Tharbad, which was destroyed/abandoned in 2912. I believe Gondor was still marginally holding it at that point, but I could be wrong.

Elemmire

Re: Ship traffic & runaway hobbits

In terms of a Hobbit going South, Gondor doesn't seem very familiar with halflings, apart from as matters of legend, so it seems unlikely that (m)any ever visited Gondor before the War of the Ring.

Said hobbit won't make it to Gondor--his ship would be attacked by Corsairs in the Bay of Belfalas & he'd be captured. Since he has a death date in the family trees, it appears he made it back to the Shire, so I'm guessing Gandalf was involved in tracking him down.

Maybe young Isengar could take a boat or raft, a la Huck, down the Brandywine to see the sea, where he discovers a Dol Amroth ship that's put ashore for repairs after a storm & offers him a place as cabin boy.

Regina

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum