Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Limits on the Steward's Travel

Limits on the Steward's Travel

I thought I read somewhere that the Stewards (once a Steward) were not permitted to travel extensively, either not outsideof Gondor or not outside of Minas Tirith.

Am I misremembering this? If not, citation?

Thanks,
Ang

Re: Limits on the Steward's Travel

: I thought I read somewhere that the Stewards (once a Steward) were not permitted to travel extensively, either not outside of Gondor or not outside of Minas Tirith.

Am I misremembering this? If not, citation?

You are not misremembering, but it it took me a while to track it down.

In Unfinished Tales, Cirion and Eorl and the Friendship of Gondor and Rohan Note 53:

"It was also Rómendacil I who established the office of Steward (Arandur "king's servant"), but he was chosen by the King as a man of high trust and wisdom, usually advanced in years since he was not permitted to go to war or to leave the realm. He was never a member of the Royal House. [Author's note.]"

I'm not sure this was always followed after the Stewards began to rule, as they may have had to leave the realm to fight. The closest I can find to this is in the same section, where Cirion "gathered as great a force as he could, and taking command of it himself made ready as swiftly as might be to lead it north to Calenardhon. Hallas his son he left in command at Minas Tirith."

I believe this would still be counted as within the realm of Gondor, however.

Lyllyn

Ah, yes, this is what I needed!

OK, not go to war and not leave the realm, but *can* leave Minas Tirith and immediate vicinity. Excellent.

As per Cirion, he also left his heir behind, which may have mollified the populace.

Thank you!

Ang

As per Cirion, he also left his heir behind, which may have mollified the populace.

Read that as "HAIR" and thought it was an unusual compromise.

I think I need more sleep.

Julia

It probably made his subjects feel warm and fuzzy

Lyllyn

Boo, Lyllyn!

-Aerlinnel

[noises of distress]

Lyllyn, that was *hot* coffee that just went out my nose.

Ang,
trying to be rid of the image of the Lord Steward of Gondor wearing a large toupe...

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum