Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: More Quenya assistance needed.

More Quenya assistance needed.

If anybody (Aerlinnel?) can help me with a battle cry:

I need a suitable battle cry from Glorfindel when he faces the Witch King of Angmar in T.A. 2043. If anyone's been following my "Envinyanta" series, Glorfindel has not revealed to anyone that he is actually the Balrog-slayer reborn. I want to change that with a battle challenge that will put the fear of Eru into the Witch King and leave no doubt to anybody that our dear golden-haired warrior is back from Mandos and taking names.

Basically something like: "Know me, creature of darkness/the shadows, and come no closer, for I am the Balrog-slayer, come out of Mandos to face thee."

Re: More Quenya assistance needed.

It's late, so I'll just offer this and a literal translation for now; ask if you want an explanation of the grammar.

Nin á ista, rauco nuruhuinëo, ar har áva tulë, an nanyës i mancë Valarauco, túlina Mandossello mahtië macil elyenna.

"Me know, demon of death-shadow, and near come not, for I am he who hewed the Balrog, come from Mandos to wield a sword against thee."

Ooooh! Thank you!

As soon as I finish my unnamed fluff, I'll be working on my third Glorfindel story. This one will have the adult Elladan and Elrohir in it (hey, they *could* have been among the Elves of Rivendell who rode out with Glorfindel), and more from Lindir and Erestor.

I've got the first part already:

"Mortals Glorfindel had known. Some, like Tuor, he had even admired.

Eärnur of Gondor was not one of them....."

Ooh!
Can I tack on another quick question?

I am looking for a Quenya version of 'falling stars.' I have it in Sindarin as taltgiliath (having downloaded a Sindarin online dictionary of sorts) but I'd love to have it in Quenya.

Only if you're not busy, that is...

~Thevina

Nin á ista, rauco nuruhuinëo, ar har áva tulë, an nanyës i mancë Valarauco, túlina Mandossello mahtië macil elyenna.

"Me know, demon of death-shadow, and near come not, for I am he who hewed the Balrog, come from Mandos to wield a sword against thee."

At this hour of the morning that looks mostly correct, except I'd say 'nanyero' instead of 'nanyes' (the ë isn't necessary in that position); not that -s is wrong, but I like the -rë/-ro suffixes.

'Mandossello': I don't think the s should necessarily double with the insertion of the -e, so 'Mandosello'; otoh, the doubling might stop the -o from lengthening to ó. Could you explain why you doubled it?
Myself, I might even have chosen to use 'Mandollo' instead (analogous to Numenessë -> Numendë).

'Mandossello': I don't think the s should necessarily double with the insertion of the -e, so 'Mandosello'; otoh, the doubling might stop the -o from lengthening to ó. Could you explain why you doubled it?
Myself, I might even have chosen to use 'Mandollo' instead (analogous to Numenessë -> Numendë).

I was considering Mandollo...actually, now I'm not entirely sure why I didn't use it. Running a little low in the sleep department

As for Mandossello, the Quenya-English dictionary that I downloaded from Ardalambion mentions that Mandossë is given as a longer form of Mandos in the Etymologies (which I did not bring to school with me - grr!) Being lazy, I decided to go with the longer form which already had a vowel at the end to serve as connector, rather than try to come up with the correct one to add to Mandos.

Thanks for the correction regarding the diaresis - I should've noticed that. What does nanyero gloss as?

-Aerlinnel

Thevina,

I come up with éli lántala, "stars falling", reversed for the sake of euphony. Nath, check? Can the stem vowel in lanta- be lengthened, considering that it's followed by a consonant cluster?

Taltgiliath strikes me as odd, somehow, but I'm rusty on my Sindarin and can't remember how strict it is, compared to Quenya, regarding permissible intervocalic clusters like -ltg-.

-Aerlinnel

Thank you!! Taltgiliath strikes me as odd, somehow...
Probably because I simply put the two words together from my downloaded Sindarin dictionary.

I'll change mine to what you suggested until I hear from Nath.

You guys are wonderful!

'Mandossë' - hmm maybe I should start memorising the Etymologies

'nanyero' glosses as 'I am he' as well, but it's explicitly 'he', where -s is just general 3rd. sg. - I'm now thinking that it should probably be nányero/s rather than nanyero/s, but I'd have check what the effect of ny is on preceding long vowels, since it's not really a 'proper' consonant cluster.

And answering two posts in one: in 'lantala' the a definitely shouldn't lengthen.

And now I need coffee; why do I keep doing Quenya questions first thing in the morning?

For right now, I just need two more things:

How does one say "defiance" and "battle-cry" in Quenya?

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum