Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Elves of Rivendell

Elves of Rivendell

I need some help figuring out what the majority of "ordinary" Rivendell elves are likely to be.

My initial assumption would be Avari, i.e. elves of Beleriand who stayed in M-E rather than go to Aman after the downfall of Morgoth. But then - how many of Gil-Galad's people were Noldor? Would some of them have settled in Rivendell when it was established?

This is where a much better grasp of the multifarious Elven kindreds than I have comes in handy...

Re: Elves of Rivendell

I can only give you some guesses and extrapolations, not exact information.

From Unfinished Tales, Of Galadriel and Celeborn:
Elrond had gathered such a few of the Elves of Eregion as had escaped, but he had no force to withstand the onset. He would indeed have been overwhelmed had not Sauron host been attacked in the rear; for Durin sent out a force of Dwarves from Khazad-dûm, and with them came Elves of Lórinand led by Amroth. Elrond was able to extricate himself, but he was forced away northwards, and it was at that time [in the year 1697, according to the Tale of Years] that he established a refuge and stronghold at Imladris (Rivendell)...

But as he ravaged the lands, slaying or drawing off all the small groups of Men and hunting the remaining Elves, many fled to swell Elrond's host to the northward.

Eregion was founded by Noldor, so there would be some Noldor with the group. The others from Eriador who fled to Rivendell could be Sindar or Nandor.
The Sindar were Teleri who crossed into Beleriand enroute to Aman, and stopped there. The Nandor were Teleri who started for Aman but stopped east of the Misty Mountains, and only later crossed into Beleriand. The Avari were those who never started the journey, and I'm not sure they would have made it to Eriador at all.

There is a helpful illustration of divisions of the elves at the back of the Silmarillion.

Hope this helps...

Lyllyn

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum