Forum: Writing Warfare in M-e

Discussing: sparring and practice

sparring and practice

I loudly proclaim my ignorance here. I am writing two people sparring, sword only. Are there positions I can name? Particular techniques? Any indicators to show one of the combattants much superior to the other?

All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Lyllyn

Re: sparring and practice

I'd like to add a plea here, since I have one or two of those scenes in my future as well.

Lyllyn, I did find an interesting SCA-esque essay on fighting sword-and-shield in closed and open position. No positions given formal names, really, but it might help a little. Check the URL library. Sadly, the images that originally went with it have been taken out. :-(

Well, I've not found any useful online resources yet, but if you're willing to spend some money, it looks like there are some books on it. All links go to Amazon, but feel free to grab the ISBN number and order the books from your local independent bookseller:

Medieval Swordsmanship: Illustrated Methods and Techniques

Medieval Combat: A Fifteenth-Century Illustrated Manual of Swordfighting and Close-Quarter Combat

Codex Wallerstein : A Medieval Fighting Book from the Fifteenth Century on the Longsword, Falchion, Dagger, and Wrestling

Highland Swordsmanship: Techniques of the Scottish Sword Masters

This is only a sampling - each book's detail page lists other books on swordfighting. You might also check at your local library for these.

Now I'm all curious about swordfighting....

The best site I know for this is

http://celt.drak.net/gaidin/library/library.html

The site shows fantasy warriors in training and the masters name the positions, explain strategy, etc. The training extends over many weapons and includes battle tactics.

Enjoy.

The site shows fantasy warriors in training and the masters name the positions, explain strategy, etc. The training extends over many weapons and includes battle tactics.

Yes! This is great, thanks so much, Daw. I have visited several sites, but this looks to answer some particular questions.

Shadow975, I also like the the ARMA site http://www.thehaca.com/
and they have material from some of the books there.

Thanks everyone

Lyllyn

Both the above websites have been added to the URL Library.

Ithilwen

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

We're sorry. This is a closed discussion. Content is available only to invited readers.

« Back to Writing Warfare in M-e