Forum: Fanfic: customs and conventions

Discussing: A Convention or Conference - IRL!

A Convention or Conference - IRL!

I have only attended a couple of fan events (Barlibash, the Two Towers party in LA and the Mythopoeic Society Conference) but in seeing how many wonderful ideas get bandied about in the forums here, I would like to offer a proposal:

I think that Tolkien fanfiction writers should get together for a 3- or 4-day weekend. I'll help coordinate.

I live in a convention city (Nashville, TN) and would be happy to be a key person for logistics, planning meeting sessions, etc. if there are others who have an interest in us writers having our own Con. If somebody in England would like to do it, I'll still be happy to contribute as much time as needed to facilitate, and I'd love an excuse to get out of the South in the summer! I assume that summer is the only time that works for most people, though a gathering around the time of Frodo/Bilbo's birthday in September might work for people as well.

It's just an idea, but one that has moved to the forefront of my mind, so I'm tossing it out there. Would you all like to get together, discuss our works, plunder other writers for suggestions and beta readers and debate arcana about the Ardaverse, all in real time?

~Thevina

Re: A Convention or Conference - IRL!

I naturally wouldn't be there (other side of the world) but it sounds like you'd have a lor of fun. I've been to a few SF cons and could come up with some possible suggestions for panels/activities etc if you wind up looking for ideas.

Avon

It's a cool idea, though would very much depend on time/place for me - next summer I expect to spend mostly in the UK doing professional research. But summer in general would be best - school year just wouldn't work for me (though I'm contemplating taking one day off to go to LA for the RotK party).

Celandine

Which RotK party in LA? Are there many of us in the LA area?

Lyllyn

TheOneRing.net - there's going to be an Oscar party there in LA. Quite a lot of TORnsibs are planning to attend, I believe. There are a few around here on HASA... but I don't know that any of us here live in LA!

Cel

I think a writer's-con would be huge fun. I agree that summer's probably the best time for most folks . Unfortunately, I'm totally snowed under during the school year, so couldn't help much with planning. But I think it's a neat idea, and would certainly be interested in attending such a conference if it were anywhere near me (southern U.S.).

Or it could be moved over here to southern England.

Well, flick, Nashville is in the southern U.S. - but I would love for it to be in England and I could join up!

I may try testing the waters in some other forums and see if there is further interest...

~Thevina

I would be interested. Way too early to be able to commit to traveling for it, but count me as an interested party.

I'd be interested, but unfortunately can't commit unless it's reasonable travel time. If many others are planning on ToRN's oscar party would it work to hold it then? Probably too little lead time, but I'll ask anyway - anyone else planning to be in southern california for that?

Lyllyn

I'd be interested, but unfortunately can't commit unless it's reasonable travel time. If many others are planning on ToRN's oscar party would it work to hold it then? Probably too little lead time, but I'll ask anyway - anyone else planning to be in southern california for that?

Probably several of us would be out that way- I suppose if somebody lives there and didn't mind a bunch of people crashing their house for a day or two prior to the party, we could sit around and talk about writing and have it be more informal. My vision is far grander than that (dream big, LOL!), but it's certainly a place to start. If I get brave I may just go ahead and pick a weekend for next summer and see who shows up.

~Thevina

I suppose if somebody lives there and didn't mind a bunch of people crashing their house for a day or two prior to the party, we could sit around and talk about writing and have it be more informal.

I'm fairly close by, if not in LA itself. With light traffic (wishful thinking) it's within 30 -40 minutes. If people want informal, it's available.

Lyllyn

Great idea, Thevina - count me in, if I can... how's August? 'Seems like it'd work for most...

-- Aliena

Well, I'd love to go, but I'm about as far away from Nashville as you can get.

I'm on an LOTR Costume list, and they have a separate list for "LOTR Costume Gathers," large events like the LA one where people can look for each other or plan to meet up. Perhaps there could be a HASA Gather list, as well, so that HASA members going to cons and LOTR premiere events and line parties can look out for one another?

I myself will be at the One Ring party in Wellington, and making a fool of myself alongside the red carpet at the global premiere.

Perhaps there could be a HASA Gather list, as well, so that HASA members going to cons and LOTR premiere events and line parties can look out for one another?

That's an excellent idea. I'm on the LotR costume list as well, and did find a few others at TORn's "Two Towers, One Party" last year, but not as many as I had hoped.

But hey- I'm up for a conference in England, or NZ... as I tell my friends in Brisbane, it's only a day's flight from Nashville to Australia! The cost, however, is a slightly different matter. *cringe*

I'm completely envious of you being in Wellington. I can't even get up to Toronto for The Gathering. Ah well. Our little group will get together, and have our own little line party, etc.

But excellent idea about having a HASA list to be circulated among all of the different get-togethers around the world...

I'm planning on going to the TORN RotK party, and it sounds like other HASA members are as well. I think it would be great to have a get-together before the party, and I'll offer my house as a venue.

Lyllyn

I'm seriously considering doing the Red Carpet LotR tour of New Zealand this winter/summer, December 29th, 2003 - January 9th, 2004. Has anyone done this tour and is it worth it? Would anyone like to join me?

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Fanfic: customs and conventions