Forum: Medicine in Middle Earth

Discussing: Print Resource -- ACEP/DK First Aid Manual

Print Resource -- ACEP/DK First Aid Manual

I came across this last weekend while at the bookstore. I have the Second American Edition, (c) 2004. ACEP/DK refers to the originating authority -- the American College of Emergency Physicians -- and Dorling Kindersley, the publisher. While I'm often leery of these kinds of things in relation to fanfiction resource material -- modern medicine and biology transplanted into Middle Earth, no matter what the guise, never fails to get my back up -- this book has plenty of information in it that could quite easily pass for field medicine in Middle Earth. I'm particularly impressed with the scores of illustrations and explanations related solely to bandaging; honestly, if someone ever wanted the details about how to place a bandange safely as a point of conversation between patient and healer or healer and caretaker, here's the book for the job. If accuracy is an aim, sequential photographs on how to bandage a certain injury can't go far wrong as source material. Granted, there are sections that aren't of much use -- the whole bit on blood components and the details on the nervous system, to name a few, and you'll pardon doubts on the usefulness of the section on electrical injuries -- mainly as a result of the inherent limits on technology and the average (or even above average) Middle-Earth healer's understandings of physiology. That said, I would advise caution on using some of the illnesses/injuries included in this manual in fiction, lest the healer's newfound knowledge of the human/elf/hobbit/dwarf/adult/child body glow (and call attention to itself) like the flashers on the top of an ambulance running a call. Just because the first aid suggested is simple doesn't mean it'll make fanon. Still, there are sections that make quite a bit of sense, even with the knowledge of those toiling in the various places of healing in Gondor and other realms. Among those: -"Giving Care with Confidence" -"Dealing with Stress" -- in particular, that of the person providing care -"Water Rescue" -"Assessing a Victim," including "Mechanics of Injury," "Symptoms and Signs," and "Examining a Victim" -Observation (actually noted as "Observation Charts") -"Principles of Bandaging" -"Controlling a Fall" ...and a whole lot more as the book goes on. I heartily recommend this book, not only as a personal resource should the RL need arise to provide first aid, but also as a handy resource for those who would want to portray the details of patient care in Middle Earth in depth.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Medicine in Middle Earth