Forum: Hands of the King

Discussing: Ch. 42 - Misrule

Ch. 42 - Misrule

Ch. 42 - Misrule

First of two Denethor POV chapters. Warnings: One brief scene of battlefield gore.

Denethor thinks about personal and political legitimacy as he comes to terms with the dishonor of his house, and uncovers more mysteries of the north. Extended scenes with Thorongil, Finduilas, Ecthelion and Halmir.

Toodles - Ang

Re: Ch. 42 - Misrule

Absolutely excellent chapter, Ang...

I so loved the line -  I am a Queen's Man, now.

And the thought of Denethor upon greeting Ecthelion.  You wished me dead - or some such - brilliant! 

I LOVE Thorongil and Denethor's time together.  Great discourse.

Can't wait to read more!

Agape

Love it, of course. Sorry, I read it at your other website and forget to come and comment! I HATE cliffhangers. >.< Now I have to wait and see. Move Thorongil! *pounds on table* It's your fault for writing him so well, you asked for me to poke and bug you. I suggest... well, lots of angsty, vulnerable, half naked Thorongil. *shrug* Or, you know.... you can keep the story legit and ignore my suggestions.

*sigh* Will be waiting. Oh, and I forgot to say how much I liked the chapter where Thorongil got upset when the ranger died. I thought that was beautifully written. Keep writing!

You wished me dead - or some such - brilliant!

That was brilliant. And I never considered this before, but the line has great symmetry with the words exchanged by Faramir and Denethor in Return of the King.

Poor Denethor. Everything comes back to haunt him in the end.

I HATE cliffhangers.

Snicker.

More Thorongil! *pounds on table* It's your fault for writing him so well, you asked for me to poke and bug you. I suggest... well, lots of angsty, vulnerable, half naked Thorongil. *shrug* Or, you know.... you can keep the story legit and ignore my suggestions.

Hey, don't mess up the furniture! There will be plenty more Thorongil in the upcoming chapters, bot in teh Denethor POV and the Finduilas POV chapters. He'll be angsty and vulnerable, but the half-naked part... You'll have to imagine that for yourself. Considering that I wan't really going to have the fellow directly int he story, he has ingratiated himself quite a bit.

Oh, and I forgot to say how much I liked the chapter where Thorongil got upset when the ranger died. I thought that was beautifully written.

Thank you!

Ang

That was brilliant. And I never considered this before, but the line has great symmetry with the words exchanged by Faramir and Denethor in Return of the King.

You noticed. Denethor didn't wish Faramir dead - he wanted him to be obedient/loyal, and stop being a tool for Mithrandir. In this case, I think Ecthelion really, truly wanted Denethor to never return. I'm not sure Ecthelion explicitly wished him dead, but it is there. Something to consider in the political and familial machinations is that Maiaberiel is the one who actively tries to do Denethor in, and who makes claims about what she and the Steward are planning, yet Ecthelion doesn't quite say or do what she says. A subtle difference, but important. He wants Denethor to stop challenging his authority. Hmm, another parallel between father, son and grandson. Faramir uses his mother's approach to opposition - since Denethor won't let himself lose an argument, don't argue, just do.

Poor Denethor. Everything comes back to haunt him in the end.

Sad to say, but true.

Ang 

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Hands of the King

Stories linked to the forum