Forum: Hands of the King

Discussing: Ch. 8 - Ruins

Ch. 8 - Ruins

Ruins Denethor POV chapter. I wrote this one almost exactly one year ago. A good amount of Thorongil in the first part, of Ecthelion in the second, and Adrahil throughout. A new OC is introduced who has been mentioned by name before. Politics and skullduggery abound. Denethor cannot resist giving Thorongil's tail a twist. Family relations raise their ugly head again. One thing I am doing throughout HotK is bring the locations to life and set them into historical context. Osgialith got some of that in the last chapter. It is Pelargir's turn this one. Have fun! Ang PS - There is a bit of homage to my favorite fantasy series (sorry, not LotR!) - a gold star to whomever catches it first.

Re: Ch. 8 - Ruins

I don't think I'll get the gold star, or at least not on first read-through. I must confess it's driving me crazy - I want to know more about the lost and their relation to Thorongil! I liked the Pelargir description, that came through loud and clear. Some small stuff: I had a little trouble in the very beginning: the initial exchange about news not coming from Harned. I couldn't tell who was speaking, and whether or not it involved the rider from the far shore. It became clear in the next few paragraphs that it didn't, but I still couldn't tell who was speaking initially - Denethor, Thorongil or Baragund. Typo patrol- It stood stood, black and smooth, built of the same material as Isengard and outer wall of Minas Tirith, but far older than either. Denethor was glad to be riding Gaerhûlagain. [need space] He grabbed her hands. ‘Sister, what are [you] talking about? Stop this! Tell me what is wrong!’ Write fast. Lyllyn

Typos fixed and interlocutors made more distinct in the opening exchange. I must confess it's driving me crazy - I want to know more about the lost and their relation to Thorongil! You know as much as Denethor does... Write fast. I am creating typos as fast as I can, dearie. Expect a new chapter every 10 days to two weeks. Ang

Dialogue now very clearly attributed, thanks! You know as much as Denethor does... I bet Denethor knows a little more than I do at this point... And I realize I'm a fine one to talk about writing fast, I'm the world's slowest writer. Lyllyn

No, he really doesn't, but Finduilas will help him figure more things out. My problem is I actually write fairly quickly - I can knock out 3,000 solid words in a day if I have all day, and I have a goal of 500 words per weekday evening - but my stories keep growing and expanding so, no matter how much I write, I can't keep up. I'm about to start Ch. 29, we're heading to Rohan, and Denethor & Finduilas *still* aren't married. Argh!!! Ang

I can knock out 3,000 solid words in a day if I have all day, and I have a goal of 500 words per weekday evening Wow! That's an output I can only dream of... I'm about to start Ch. 29, we're heading to Rohan, and Denethor & Finduilas *still* aren't married. Argh!!! I see what you mean, but for me as a reader, it's an extremely delightful prospect. So much more to come - yay!

Nath caught a few more typos (actually missing words) and those have been corrected. That's the why the chapter has been updated. Nothing important, so no need to re-read. Unless you want to, of course. ;-) I'm doing edits on Ch. 9 today, and hope to have it posted by this evening. Ang

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Hands of the King

Stories linked to the forum