Forum: Elena Tiriel - Star Gazings

Discussing: Famous First Lines

Famous First Lines

The Entish Version of Moby Dick

That's brilliant.

Re: Famous First Lines

I'm with Altariel - just about did me in!

Entish Moby Dick,indeed.

Wish I'd thought of it first.

**walks off grumbling**

You know what just occurred to me, Barbara? If you actually write the fic that goes with that first line - you can enter it in the Tale by Any Other Name Challenge. It's getting a little lonely there. I'd like the company and I can only see Moby Dick done in Entish as either horribly boring or rip-roaringly funny.

At least take a placeholder and think about it?

Please?

Lindorien

Agreed. That was brilliant!

So was the cave troll. How about a sequel with Gimli and a hill troll now?

Absolutely, Acacea! And know what else I was thinking? If she makes the Ents Pirates they can be entered in the Corsair challenge.

Definitely I am shutting up now.

Lindorien

That's brilliant.

Thank you, Altariel!

Although, I discovered this afternoon that it has 33% more words than it should, based upon Melville canon.

I have corrected the problem, and severely chastized the Ent who translated it.

- Barbara

just about did me in!

Thank you! *Barbara glows*

Wish I'd thought of it first.

LOL! Wish I had thought of Marta's name for her story: The Best of Lines, the Worst of Lines...

- Barbara

Agreed. That was brilliant!

Wow... now I'm getting all embarrassed...

So was the cave troll.

*Giggle* I thought that would raise a few eyebrows...

How about a sequel with Gimli and a hill troll now?

Ack! I'm fighting off Núzguls as fast as I can! Back, Acacea! Back!!

- Barbara

If you actually write the fic that goes with that first line - you can enter it in the Tale by Any Other Name Challenge.

Lindorien, you are so evil. The answer is no!

But, there is a good reason the answer is no. Witness this first paragraph of Moby Dick:

Call me Ishmael. Some years ago - never mind how long precisely - having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation. Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off - then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship. There is nothing surprising in this. If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me.

Now, you are probably wondering what my point is. Well, it is quite obvious: Except for the first line, it is already written in Entish.

- Barbara

If she makes the Ents Pirates they can be entered in the Corsair challenge.

I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass this núzgul to me!

- Barbara

Come to the dark side, Barbara. At least take the placeholders. If I told you what bait Acacea just handed me that I took I would have to kill you you wouldn't believe it.

I shall outdo even myself.

The prospect should frighten you horribly.

And since it is already written in Entish - that makes it all the more easy.

hehe. I had somebody tell me that Lorien Glass was making no sense!

How pleased was I? How concerned would I be if somebody actually began to understand it?

If you write those Ent Pirates a drinking song for when they carve up the booty (poor whale) you can enter THAT in the drinking song challenge.

Although - Moby Dick is definitely a case of sometimes you eat the whale and sometimes the whale eats you.

I'm shutting up again.

Lindorien

I'm shutting up again.

Trust me. Twice is not nearly often enough...

- Barbara

If you write those Ent Pirates a drinking song for when they carve up the booty (poor whale) you can enter THAT in the drinking song challenge.

Agreed. And how convenient, just today at HA I put in a plea for an Entish drinking song.

Though to be fair, would Ents sail in boats made of wood? Somehow I'm not so sure.

Moby-Dick's already in Entish? All right. How about Entish Hemingway? Now there's a challenge.

Cheers,
Marta

How about Entish Hemingway? Now there's a challenge.

*Barbara faints*

Ack! I'm fighting off Núzguls as fast as I can! Back, Acacea! Back!!

In that case I must tell you that i had just about managed to restrain myself from suggesting that post Gimli/hill troll you do cave troll/hill troll with implied Legolas/Gimli, just to even things out.

Hmm...or perhaps a foursome.

I'll shut up now.

Wow, Barbara: you've just explained a lot about Moby Dick that I never knew before! Obviously, it should have been sub-titled: Translations from the Entish. As for Legolas and his first love: now that's a Legomance I would actually read cheers, Maya

you've just explained a lot about Moby Dick that I never knew before! Obviously, it should have been sub-titled: Translations from the Entish. LOL! I thought so, too! That first line just sucks you in -- and then, wham! you're reading a novel in Entish! As for Legolas and his first love: now that's a Legomance I would actually read You would? *Barbara backs away very slowly and carefully trying not to alarm this dangerous creature with the wild eyes and the flaring nostrils... not to mention the "I (heart) Legolas" T-shirt and bare midriff and alarmingly skinny body...* *Trying to placate the creature, Barbara mumbles...* Um, if you write it, I'll read it! Yeah, that's the ticket... - Barbara *nearly out the door now*

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Elena Tiriel - Star Gazings