Forum: 2013 - HASA Birthdays

Discussing: May 2013 Birthday Cards

May 2013 Birthday Cards

Birthday folks: Is your birthday in May and you would be delighted by a little story gift from your fellow HASA members? Then state your request here in this thread. To collect your birthday cards in one place, you can create a birthday workshop story.

Authors: Let yourselves get inspired by the suggestions - a chance to be creative and to make a fellow HASA member happy at the same time! Just like the recipients, you can collect the stories you've written in a  birthday workshop story.

And don't forget to add your birthday cards to the 2013 Birthday Cards Challenge.

Here's a short recap on how to do that:

• Add each birthday present as a chapter in your story, using the story name (and the birthday recipient if there is room) as the story chapter. If you can't fit the person's name into the chapter title, just include it as the first opening line in the chapter.
  • Be sure you give each chapter a number and set the status to public so everyone can read it!
  • Since most birthday card stories are pretty short, you might include the birthday recipient's wish for what kind of story she wanted. Paste it from the forum.
  • In your story summary, you can list out who you've written stories for if you like.
  • It's up to you on the order you want to give your chapters - Alphabetical by recipient, order by month chronologically, newest first, etc.

In case you need help or have a comment, question or suggestion, please post it here or send me an e-mail - I'll do my best to help.

May, 6th - RiverOtter: Having become a grandmother in March, I'd like stories about passing on stories. Surely, there are lots of stories that grandparents tell their children about  'the good old days.'

May, 18th - Nath: I'd like stories about dissent. Not everybody in Gondor, or even in Eriador, will be happy with Aragorn as king (or perhaps even with the concept of a king...); we know not all the Noldor followed Fëanor out of Aman; and there are many more instances of political dissent over issues great or small over the ages, among Men or Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, ...

Re: May 2013 Birthday Cards

For my birthday on the 18th, I'd like stories about dissent.

Not everybody in Gondor, or even in Eriador, will be happy with Aragorn as king (or perhaps even with the concept of a king...); we know not all the Noldor followed Fëanor out of Aman; and there are many more instances of political dissent over issues great or small over the ages, among Men or Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, ...

May 6th - RiverOtter

Having become a grandmother in March, I'd like stories about passing on stories. Surely, there are lots of stories that grandparents tell their children about  'the good old days.' 

Re: May 6th - RiverOtter

A very late happy birthday, Riverotter!

Once upon a time

"Inzil says you can't have seen an Elf. There are no Elves, and even if there are, they're not allowed on Yôzâyan."

"Child, what makes you think Inzil knows anything?" A long-drawn out sigh. "But she is right the Elves no longer come here. Just don't talk to her about them. You don't want to upset your friend, do you?"

A short silence, before Aglahad ran past him, going outside to play.

Later, he spoke to his mother. "You shouldn't tell the boy of Elves. Those days are gone."

"All the more reason to tell him of them, I'd think."

Re: May 6th - RiverOtter

Sorry this is late, RiverOtter, and equally sorry it's not a true drabble... but 111 is a good number for words nonetheless, I think?

A HOBBIT'S TALE

"Once upon a time…"

He trails off as he notices the glare.

"What? Have I said something wrong?"

Elfstan snorts, derisive as only seven-year-olds can be.

"All your stories start like that. They're boring."

He raises an eyebrow.

"Boring?"

Elfstan nods.

"There's no fights. Nobody ever dies. They're rubbish."

The old Hobbit sighs.

"You want a different story, then?"

The little boy nods, and though it has been long years Sam still finds his voice shaking as he starts to read.

"When Mister Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton…"

Happy belated birthday, Nath...

"We, for our part, shall travel East."

Alatar's words ring out loud in the Council Chamber and as the echoes die I wish my twin had kept our plan silent.

"We?"

Curumo's gaze sweeps towards me.

"Does he speak with you, brother, or for you?"

My mouth is dry, my voice lost.

My eyes flicker right but Aiwendil looks away; they flicker left and Mithrandir stares back impassively…

…his message, however, rings clear and clean in my ears.

"The decision is yours, brother- for better or worse."

My decision is made.

"We speak as one."

Curumo nods.

"So be it."

Ooh, shiny Thanks!

*hands out cake*

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to 2013 - HASA Birthdays