Forum: Challenges Fundraiser

Discussing: The Hobbit Story Pledge Challenge

The Hobbit Story Pledge Challenge

Last May, we ran a fundraising pledge challenge that has paid for almost all site hosting costs in 2012. The basic idea of a pledge challenge was taken from fund raising walks and runs where people pledge to pay a certain number of cents or dollars per mile that the runner/walker completes.

We changed the rules to be for story writing - readers pledged to pay a certain set amount of money for each story written for the challenge, up to a limit they determined for themselves. Authors in turn wrote original stories for the challenge that appeared exclusively on HASA for the month of the challenge.

This was such a success, that we're back with another fundraising challenge, this time with a theme - The Hobbit.

Write a story that is connected in some way with The Hobbit - the book or the movie - and post it on HASA. It can be anything you like as long as it ties in to something that happens or is mentioned or must have occurred given the events of the book or the movie.

This forum is for general discussion of this challenge.

To read the full details of the challenge, click here.

Re: The Hobbit Story Pledge Challenge

I'll be sharpening my metaphorical pencil as soon as I'm done visiting my family. Every little helps, eh?

Absolutely!

I have a story I'm getting prepped for it (my first Hobbit story in years) and I may even have two by the time January comes to a close.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Anglachel

I'll give it a go as well...

I have a quick question about pledges, as there seems to be conflicting information on different sites.

In HASA News on LJ, it states that 'You can even put in very specific pledges, for instance, you can say you'll donate $10 for each story that focuses on Bombur, or very general ones such as giving $100 if there are 10 or more entries in the challenge, or anything you like…',   but on the Challenge page itself it says 'The pledge is per completed story posted to the Challenge - you can't specify that you'll only donate for an Elf story or one with Gollum in it, for example) '.  

It needs clarification, so people know what they can pledge!

Okay, that was - somehow - my error. I've no idea where I picked up the specific pledges idea, but I'll go sort out the various news items to bring them into line with the Challenge text itself.

Hi Jay,

Thanks for catching the discrepancy between the information on the site and those in the News post.

To be clear, you can't pledge for specific stories because that comes very close to paying someone for a specific piece of fanfiction. Even though the money does not go to the author, it could still be interpreted by orc-hearted lawyers in that way and both the author and HASA could get in trouble.

With the way the pledging system is set up, the contributor is rewarding the site for posting lots of new stories, regardless of who wrote the stories or what the stories are about.

Hope this answers your questions. Smile

Anglachel

OK, thanks!  I thought it was the case that readers couldn't pledge for a specific character, but just wanted to give a heads-up about the discrepancy.

And now to get my thinking cap on ...

And now to get my thinking cap on ...

Eagerly awaiting whatever you come up with, Jay!

Anglachel

A passionate plea and a thank you from some one with the artist ability of knat. Wink

If you are of a certain age you may feel a little lost in todays world of technology especially with so called entertainment snippets coming at you at the rate of 100 per second.  My world was a little different, I grew up with books, in my youth I would become absorbed for hours in a novel.  My imagination would take me from Middle Earth to outer space to the Emerald city with no problem and if you asked me what I was going to do with my life I would have said, A) Become Mrs. Michael Jackson  B) Become a world famou adored author  or C) become Mrs. James Bond.

Unfortuantely due to circumstances beyond my control A and C were definitely out and due to absolutely no creative talent B is also out.

What I still have is my love of a good story.  I cannot begin to thank the authors here for sharing their work with others.  As an avid lover of Tolkiens work, I am humbled by your gifts.

So what I can do is kick in some dough.  So I encourage all of you great authors to contribute to the challenge.  I'm donating for every story because I want this site to stay up and running for a very long time.  Who needs video games when you can spend hours with such great stories.

Be blessed my friends and know your work is truly appreciated.

E. 

As not one but two folks have now commented that they wondered just exactly how a knight of Gondor came to be wielding elf-swords before his ever-so-narrow escape from lunch with Bert, Tom and Bill, I find myself wondering... if I were to write a sequel (prequel?), would it still count as a story for the Challenge, or would it be ineligible?

Aruthir -- I'm not the final authority on your question, but it seems to me that a prequel or a sequel is in fact a separate story, even if it is related to the original one already posted, so my opinion is that it would count as a story for the challenge.  Smile

Hi Aruthir,

Yes, it is part of explaining the events and artifacts of The Hobbit, so it counts.

Anglachel

Awesome- thanks for the advice Ang and Lin. Prepare for another story soon!

Would anyone mind awfully if I wrote more backstory for Glamdring, Orcrist and Sting?

Not at all

Another story for you guys- "Fallen" is it's name... and and I apologise for it being a little more brutal than the ones that came before it.

Another story posted to this challenge- "As Gondolin Burned"- and I hope you'll forgive me that it's a little grisly.

Please find my story "Finalé" entered into the Fundraising Challenge and forgive me my over-prolific imagination.

I have a story about Glorfindel during the siege of Gondolin lurking in the back of my head- if I linked it to previous stories of mine, could I theoretically link it to the Fundraising Challenge or am I pushing my luck too far?

I'm going to rule it as being a bit too disconnected, but encourage you to write it anyway, even if it won't go into the challenge. The challenge stories need to have something fairly direct to connect them to The Hobbit (book or movie).

Also, have you considered putting together a playlist of these stories? That would allow you to link them all together in a coherent whole for when the challenge is completed.

Ang

Not nearly as brutal as it could have been, though perhaps kinder to Turgon than he deserves!  And who was that last Orc, really, we wonders? Smile

Hadn't considered that, no... but am doing so now! Smile

Another from me, reconciling why Elrond was on the hunt, when he's a healer and they avoid it. (the one elf thing I did NOT like about the film)

"Out with the hunt"

Ever wondered just who had the elf-blade Sting made, and who for? My story "A Suitable Blade" might give you a clue...

I've finally entered my story, Astray on the Road to Bag End.  It turned out to be more difficult to write than I anticipated -- mostly because of time constraints.  Thankfully there are still a few days left in the challenge month for it to count!  Grin  I'm still debating whether I can manage a pledge, as well -- I'll see what I can do!

Bwhahahahaha!

This is a comic gem, Lin, thank you! Now I want to see this scene of Thorin meeting another (in)famous Hobbit.

Ang

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Challenges Fundraiser