Forum: Languages in Arda

Discussing: Quenya translation of two short terms

Quenya translation of two short terms

I need help with two (easy) Quenya translations: "My father" and "my son."

I think that "my father" is atarinya.

Is "my son" senya?

Can anyone confirm these? If they are wrong, can you tell me what the correct words are?

Any help much appreciated.

Gandalfs apprentice 

Re: Quenya translation of two short terms

I'm no expert, but such as I have gleaned from those who are I am happy to pass along.

Atarinya does indeed translate as "my father," as found in The Lost Road; Elendur also addresses his father Isildur thus in UT: The Disaster of the Gladden Fields.

Senya is how Isildur (in the same UT text) addresses his son Elendur, which, drawing solely from the context in which it is used, I have always understood to mean "my son." But at the moment I am unable to locate a canon source that verifies this.

Ardalambion has both a Quenya to English and English to Quenya wordlist, and on neither am I able to locate senya. However, working backwards from English I located the Quenya for "son": yondo. It goes on to indicate that "[vocative] yonya *"my son", [is] a contraction of *yondonya..."

Interestingly enough, in UT: Aldarion and Erendis, Tar-Meneldur addresses his son Aldarion as onya, which could be derived from the aforementioned yonya.

I still believe senya also means "my son," (not sure if it's meant to be Sindarin or Quenya), but will have to keep looking for a canon source that states it more definitively.

Or hopefully someone who is more expert than I can verify it for you.

~Nessime

Nessime:

Thanks so much for the info, including the Quenya resources. I'll keep looking, too.

G.A. 

I would speculate that, like yonya, senya is a contraction, of seldonya 'my boy, my child'.

Nath:

That seems to be a very good guess. Thanks!

G.A. 

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

We're sorry. This is a closed discussion. Content is available only to invited readers.

« Back to Languages in Arda