Forum: Languages in Arda

Discussing: Ada or adar? Which one when?

Ada or adar? Which one when?

I have seen both adar and ada used for 'father'. Is one more "right" than the other? Are they used differently? Is one 'direct address' - I don't know what you want, ada - and the other for talking about a father - his adar walked away - or vice versa or some other distinction? I find myself wanting to use the word for 'father' but not wanting to look clueless. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate tips on how to use the two words. Thanks Gwynnyd

Re: Ada or adar? Which one when?

In the absence of someone more qualified - AFAIK ada is the short, more informal form. It's often translated as daddy as opposed to adar equalling father. Avon

Yes, _adar_ means 'father' while _ada_ is more like 'daddy'. Same with _naneth_ 'mother', and _nana_ 'mommy'. I guess it's up to the writer how to use it in a story, as cultures can differ on such points. But my personal feeling is that there are limited uses for _ada_ and _nana_ between adult Elves and their parents. IMHO. ;) Ithildin *(

,i>Yes, _adar_ means 'father' while _ada_ is more like 'daddy'. Same with _naneth_ 'mother', and _nana_ 'mommy'. Avon & Ithildin: Ohh Thank you! Yes, this helps very much! Gwynnyd

Yup, that's what I was told, too. Berz.

Though I haven't posted the fic yet, the one where I use Ada and Adar, I've used "Adar" when the Kids have to be formal, so "Father" and "Ada" when they're informal, therefore "Dad/Daddy". I don't know about anyone else though... Shadowed Mind

As an interesting sidenote, in Irish "athair" is the word for father. I thought that was cool. I'm also a geek.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

We're sorry. This is a closed discussion. Content is available only to invited readers.

« Back to Languages in Arda