Forum: Nuzgûl of the Month Forum

Discussing: Nuzgûl of the Month January 2012

Nuzgûl of the Month January 2012

The Nuzgûl of the Month January 2012, Alternate Perspectives, can be found here.

Take any scene that Tolkien wrote, from any of the books. Now turn it on its head: write it from some POV other than the one Tolkien gave us. Here are some examples:

* Bilbo's "unexpected party" in The Hobbit -- we pretty much get just Bilbo's perspective. What was one of the Dwarves thinking, or Gandalf, or the hobbit next door?

* The Nazgûl attack Frodo, Sam, and Pippin as they cross the Shire (just before they bump into Gildor). We get Frodo's thoughts, but what about the other hobbits', or the elves, or the Nazgûl, or an animal who oversaw the whole encounter?

* Faramir's interrogation of Frodo and Sam, but from his POV or one of his Rangers', or from Frodo's for that matter.

* Éowyn attacks the Witch-king, but through her own eyes. Or Théoden's. Anyone but Merry.

The idea is to find a scene that Tolkien tells us through one point of view, and tell that same scene from some other cahracter (canonical or original) who would have seen the same scene. I'm not sure this would work for all scenes, but there are several that are told pretty strongly from one POV or the other.

(Movieverse pieces are allowed, too, if you can find a scene that's shown through one particular character's eyes, or even several but not all characters. The nature of the medium makes it harder, but if you can find such a scene go ahead and have fun.)

Re: Nuzgûl of the Month January 2012

I must admit that I didn't write this story for this challenge, but then I also didn't set the Challenge to match the story Laugh out loud Nevertheless, a happy coincidence, and my entry for this month is A brief doubt

Can I still enter this, or is it too late?

I don't see why not :-)

Would it require a new story, or are old stories permitted?

Given that my own entry was only possible because I wrote it for something else, I don't see that an old story is a problem... (*mutters something about rules and guidelines*)

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Nuzgûl of the Month Forum