Forum: Nuzgûl of the Month Forum

Discussing: Nuzgûl of the Month September 2011

Nuzgûl of the Month September 2011

September's Nuzgûl will be Pub Crawl (no, not a pub crawl... appealing though that sounds), and it's another Oliphaunt.

How about writing a story about an evening in "The Prancing Pony" or any other pub in Middle Earth? You may set your story in any original or canonical pub. Who could be there? Dwarves, men, Dúnedain, hobbits? Others? A disguised elf?

How about a birthday-party? A business meeting? Or just a chance encounter between strangers?

Would there be only talking or also singing and dancing?

Gossip? Rumour? Drunkards?

Re: Nuzgûl of the Month September 2011

I'm going to have to rename this "Nazgûl of the Month"...

Here's my entry for September:

Name

To the Inn.  

The command echoed in his mind.

He tasted the sweet memory of heady wine, felt the wind as it rustled through rows of grapevines in the sun, heard someone call his name as he entered the inn he once...

He tried to catch the name. Too late… gone.

It had been gone a long time, taken by his Ring. He had become the Ring, and then It, and his self, had been taken from him. Yet the Ring – and with it, his Master who held his Ring – still held him.

Inside, Frodo stirred and woke up briefly.

I liked this a lot, Nath- the combination of light and and dark in this sent a shiver down my back.

Now, if only I could get something written for this challenge...

Thank you, and you still have a few days... You little devil!

I'm sorry this is so late- the Real World got in the way. I hope people aren't disappointed that this is a departure from my usual blood, fire, doom and gloom- but sometimes, I think, a happy ending is actually mandatory, let alone deserved.

Please, enjoy.

The years went by, and the world went on turning.

The new Age was one of hope and happiness, and if it seemed a little less magical and a little more mundane then no-one spoke of it- boredom seemed a small price to pay for peace and prosperity.

The years went by, and the world went on turning.

The mighty Trees went back to sleep, the great Eagles flew away to high and hidden places only they and the Gods knew where, the last few Elves sailed away over the horizon and into legend.

The world became smaller and sadder by the day, and yet Men woke each day with gladness in their hearts that the Dark Lord had been defeated.

There were still dark places in the world, granted, and there were still monsters to fight and evils to best and sagas to be written, but hope now burned bright in the minds of all who had dwelled in darkest shadow.

Heroes rose and heroes fell and tales were told- it was the way of the world.

Gradually, however, they rose more slowly and fell more often and were forgotten more often than not, or dismissed as merely myth- tales and nothing more.

Until one day, many years and many leagues away from where a small unlikely hero had saved the world from darkness, two little old men met in the road outside a public house as dusk was falling.

Their eyes were dulling, their hair was greying, their limbs were failing and their ears were failing...

But their memories were as strong as ever.

"Pippin."

"Merry."

Their smiles were stronger still.

"The same as usual?"

"Aye. Does it still come in pints?"

Their bond was strongest of all, even after all those years.

"Aye. It still comes in pints."

Linking arms, they stepped through the doors and into the Prancing Pony as they had done every year on that date ever since a search for mushrooms had become a quest that had turned their world upside-down and inside-out all those years ago.

Neither of them knew it that night as they sipped from their mugs and talked of an Age long-gone, but that meeting was to be their last- in life at least.

They would not have cared even if they had.

The Dark Lord had been defeated, and the Shire had survived, and good had prevailed.

And good things still came in pints.

I hope people aren't disappointed that this is a departure from my usual blood, fire, doom and gloom

I'm not disappointed, but I am thirsty now... Cheers!

Then here's to you, Nath!

Cheers!

Cheers!

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Nuzgûl of the Month Forum