Forum: Help Wanted!

Discussing: What we need

What we need

Some kind members have said they are willing to help, thank you! What we need right now: A review admin. We have one and need one more. The review admins have been swapping one month on, one month off. When you are "on" we ask that you check daily. There is fairly limited member contact, and other admins can help with sticky communication issues. Two challenge admins. I'm not sure how this has been split up. This has lots of member contact - that's the main part of the job. There is some behind the scenes work, but limited. Someone who is willing to lead a discussion of how to reduce the conflicts and politics. Eventually, a new site manager and a new user admin. For all of these, the member who takes them on needs to be reliable, and good about arranging other admins to cover when they are unavailable. They also need to be able to work well with others, and avoid getting into flame wars. Thank you to anyone who can help us, and HASA! Lyllyn

Re: What we need

Lyllyn, I have already e-mailed you about my willingness to help out and what I'm not able to do. I'll leave it to you to assign me what you need most, trusting you'll keep in mind the reservations stated in my e-mail. Oh, and barring unforeseen circumstances I should be able to sign in to HASA daily for the next few months at least. Amanda.

Just to expand a little on the Challenges aspect of Lyllyn's post: On the Challenges side, Dwim and I haven't strictly divided up who handles what. But generally, I put up the challenge announcements, draft the monthly bulletin and put up the challenges and generally fling nuzgul when the opportunities present themselves. Plus, I also answer members' queries wherever I find them and those that come through email. Dwim covers these for me when I don't get to them fast enough, and in addition, she generally takes charge of the Drabbles forum, sorting and putting the birthday drabbles in HA Writers entries and putting up nuzgul. These bits can be time consuming. We also try to watch the HA yahoo group for questions on challenge-related stuff, but things move pretty fast there, and we're not always online. I'd say you'll need to log in daily for the CM job, but it's generally good fun, and you'll get to meet lots of familiar and new faces. The technical aspects of putting up challenges, creating nuzgul and oliphaunts are pretty easy to master as well. cheers, nrink

Out of curiosity, how much work does a CM require? An hour a day? Less, more? I have excellent access to a computer, and a wonderful internet connection, and I might be able to help out. Granted, I don't always have an hour a day to spare to devote to fanfic, but most days I should, unless Other Circumstances pop up. And I always pop in about once a day, if only for five minutes. ~Allie [edit: OK. I love nuzgul-flinging, and after more consideration, I think I'd definitely like to try being a challenges admin. I think it'd be some good fun!]

I'm new to this sort of thing, but I'd be willing to help - perhaps on reviews? I log in every day, and I'm not on dial-up, so access is good. Let me know if I can help. Jay

I'm new to this sort of thing, but I'd be willing to help - perhaps on reviews? I log in every day, and I'm not on dial-up, so access is good. Let me know if I can help. I'm going to leave it to nrink to answer questions about Challenges, as she's the knowledgeable one there. Thanks, Jay! Some further information - For reviews the requirements are daily access, anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour depending on the volume and length of stories. The review admin must give up reviewing privileges and has no effect on the results. If there are sticky situations, review admins can get help from the other admins in how to deal with them. Currently Nic (Paranoidangel) is the only review admin. Lyllyn

At the moment I am still too new at HASA for any responsible job and I have also a degree paper to finish, but when I know my way around and have a little more time, I would really like to help. Yours Juno

I'm new to this sort of thing, but I'd be willing to help - perhaps on reviews? I log in every day, and I'm not on dial-up, so access is good. Let me know if I can help. Hi Jay Lyllyn asked me to provide a little more information on the RA role, as it's one of the admin roles I handled when I was part of the admin team. The main tasks for the RA: 1) Checking stories before they are submitted to the review pool, looking for identifying material, severe formatting problems, chapters that don't display. As part of this, the RAs need to skim-read the first and last paragraphs of every chapter of every story. This means encountering things that they personally might not read if they had a choice, such as violence, sexual content both het and slash, etc. 2) Processing stories once they have 9 reviews. This involves a simple technical aspect, and reading over text comments to ensure they do not violate HASA code of conduct regarding courtesy and respect for other members. You need a good feel for what's "fair comment" and what isn't. Any comments the RAs think are problematic are discussed with the other RAs, the SM and other admins as appropriate. Help with decisions and emails is always available. 3. Publishing approved stories to the public archive (the fun bit!) 4. Answering questions from members by e-mail and in the forums. The RA must also be extremely discreet. To ensure fairness to all parties, no reviews information may be discussed except with other admins or with the relevant author or reviewer. If you want to ask me any more questions, please feel free, either through the forum or privately by e-mail. Hope that helps Liz (formerly HASA Review Admin)

EDIT: I am a minor, so I would not be able to help out with the reviews. I'd definitely be able to help out in other ways, such as being a Challenge Admin. I am homeschooled, so I have a lot of time on my hands that is not work-related, and I always pop in for at least ten minutes everyday. Generally, I will come in here for at least an hour. Please let me know how I could help. CLF

Hi Lyllyn, is there anything that needs to be done that could be managed in small time intervalls and at infrequent unforeseeable times ? I simply cannot bind myself to promise to be able to log-in every day. I have two small children (one just now lays with flu) and hope to get for the other a clinic-stay in near future. Otherwise if all is silent at the family front (and no other RL restrictions appear) I am able to be logged in for long times with respect to the technic installed. I do not think that admin work is possible now for me, but there might perhaps be other volunteer work which helps to lessen the load heeped on the admins. Best wishes Elanor

Thanks for this information, Liz. I think I'm familiar enough with the HASA review process to identify problems pre-submission. I've been a reviewer for some time, so have read a wide range of fics and and posted a great deal of comments - I hope my declines are diplomatic. I understand that I would have to stop being a reviewer - that's a shame, but I can quite see why. I can do discreet - I'm a teacher and school governor. I hear a lot of confidential, sensitive information - far more sensitive than who said what in a review. And finally, I actually met Nic (Paranoidangel), the current RA about a year ago at the LOTR exhibition! Jay

I just looked at the information on the job of a Review Admin, and I would definitely not be able to do that. I am still a minor, and cannot-and would rather not--read stories with explicit sexual content. I could help as a Challenge Admin, or leading a discussion, though. I am not one to flame people, and actually never have, as far as I can remember, at least.

I've already emailed, but I wasn't very specific. If you want someone besides Jay to be review admin, then I'd be happy to help. I'd prefer something with less member contact (that makes me sound horrible) because I'm not sure how good I'd be at that. If not, I don't mind helping with the challenges, along with CLF or whoever else is chosen. I log on almost every day and I try to avoid conflict, so there shouldn't be any problems on that front.

Dwim posted this to the HA list, and I hope she doesn't mind me posting it here as it's already getting buried on the list. Lyllyn--site manager Julie--site admin nic/paranoidangel--site admin Nath--reviews Ithilwen--URL librarian Nessime--Resources (but on sabbatical this month) Cheryl--Welcome Celandine--User Admin Starlight--User Admin Although, apparently Nic's RA (is she still a site admin as well?) and Nath doesn't do reviews, she does Stories. Is this correct at the moment? - Elvenesse/Kate

Yeah, I'd be willing to help, just let me know what you need. How many admins do you need? I'd guess that as long as you have a lot of them, it would help take a load off the current admins.

Although, apparently Nic's RA (is she still a site admin as well?) and Nath doesn't do reviews, she does Stories. Is this correct at the moment? Thanks for posting this Elvenesse. Just to sort out any confusion: Nath is a site admin, but does behind-the-scenes work keeping stories tidy; Nic is RA. Site admins are admins without a specific admin role (such as RA) who provide general support in running the site. Cheryl

Hi all Thanks so much for volunteering. I'm working with Lyllyn to come up with a clear (and managable) list of what we need to do. You will probably all be contacted either here or by private email, as to how we'd like to go forward. Meanwhile, thanks for volunteering your time and energies, I can't tell you how much it's appreciated. Of course, this post doesn't mean that anyone else who wants to volunteer can't! If you've just arrived and want to help out, please say so. Just wanted to post and let all of you know that we're getting things together and that we appreciate your support! Cheryl

At the moment I'm the solo User Admin; Starlight used to be, but is now a general site admin. Other than that, yes. The User Admin job is not a very difficult one. The main responsibilities are adding new members on request (typically 1-3 per day), reinstating inactive members on request (2-3 a week usually), and once a month setting those who have not logged in for at least 90 days to inactive status. And some emails, but generally not too much of that; mostly explaining how to retrieve a forgotten password and that sort of thing. Maybe 20 minutes a day most days, unless someone's having a serious problem of some kind, which is rare. Cel, hoping to retire sometime

I could probably be a User Admin (in addition to Welcome Assistant). Ann

Hi all, I know I'm new here, with limited experience, but I've talked to a few of you and haven't met anybody disagreeable, though I can see there's a lot of disagreement going on. As I'm outside of all this, I might be of help. It seems everybody wants to do right by the site and each other. If you need help cutting to the central issues, I've some experience with that. If you need an impartial ear, I can lend it. My work is sporadic and I don't know that I can be here every night. but I'll be here as much as I can and I'll let you know when I won't be able to. Buchs

[edit: OK. I love nuzgul-flinging, and after more consideration, I think I'd definitely like to try being a challenges admin. I think it'd be some good fun!] Great! I've sent you an e-mail earlier today, Allie, and if you're comfortable with everything, I can set the wheels in motion and send off to the mithril factory for a full set of armour. You can contact me at my e-mail address nrink_nrink @ yahoo. com. Thanks to everyone who's volunteered to help - it's lovely of you guys. Those interested in challenges - please feel free to e-mail me, Dwim or Lyllyn with your queries. I may take a day or so to answer. cheers, nrink

I can set the wheels in motion and send off to the mithril factory for a full set of armour. *groan* What in the name of Eru am I doing?!? ~Allie wondering just what she's gotten herself into...

~Allie wondering just what she's gotten herself into... LOL, I wondered the same thing when I volunteered to be an admin.. You're brave to take on Challenges...be sure to get that full suit of mithril armor, you're going to need it I need the ankle guards, and I"m just the Welcome Manager LOL Cheryl

nrink promised me a full suit, so hopefully I should avoid being too bitten... And perhaps: flinging nuzgul at other hapless-- er, willing... victims-- er, volunteers, is crucial in one's own avoidance of nuzgul. ~Allie

When nrink said to e-mail her, did she mean about helping, or about general challenge questions?

I would assume she meant about helping out with challenges. ~Allie

Oh, lovely! I'll send you an email about it - thanks for the offer, Ann! Cel

Thanks, Alli!

I would do Review Admin, New User Admin, just not Site Manager or Challenge Manager. I'm no good at fliging Nuzguls. Just please don't make me referee that discussion. *points at "Whither Hasa?" I've done a lot of reviews and have a lot of free time at work.

It's been quiet on this forum for several days now. Have all the necessary positions been filled? Or are the admins still listing what is needed and what work is most urgent? I do know we have a new Challenges team, so yay Team C! Just curious, Amanda.

It's been quiet on this forum for several days now. Have all the necessary positions been filled? Or are the admins still listing what is needed and what work is most urgent? Thanks for checking, Amanda. We still will need a Site Manager. I'm willing to alternate for a while, or split duties if no one wants to take it on entirely. Thanks to all our new admins, we're busy adjusting, which will take some time. I don't think there are other specific positions - yet. If we do go to the "board of directors" approach suggested on the Whither HASA? thread, we would need volunteers for that. Eventually we will need help revamping various policies, like the Review policy or the code of conduct. Lyllyn

Re: What we need - Forums

Lyllyn, We could also use a forums manager, if there is someone who is interested. What does that entail? Not too much. Once or twice per month, the FM would need to check the conference lists to make sure that all new members have correct access to the forums - and it's a one-click operation to add people. After that, just checking discussions here and there and making sure that things are displaying properly, helping people get their settings right, or removing a deactivated discussion. Preferably, you'd keep an eye peeled for people saying they don't understand how to do something and would step in to lend some help. Checking the search a few tiems a month to make sure it is working. If you'd like to suggest and advise on the condition of forums, that's good, too. There's really not too much to do, maybe a few minutes every week. You would need to be an adult as you'd have to deal with posts that have "Mature Content" on occasion. Forums run more or less on their own, but would benefit from a more attentive eye. There are a lot of forum features that don't get promoted as much as they should. Ang

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is closed to the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

« Back to Help Wanted!