Forum: Challenges: Story Discussions

Discussing: Maligned Characters Challenge

Maligned Characters Challenge

In the Silmarillion, the house of Feanor gets a pretty bad rap; yet if one reads between the lines of the Silmarillion, one can see that the Sons of Feanor are quite noble and honourable, and altogether quite... decent (when they aren't Kinslaying, that is). I refer to Maedhros and Maglor in especial, and cite these quotes:

"For Maedhros begged forgiveness for the desertion in Araman; and he waived his claim to kingship over all the Noldor, saying to Fingolfin: 'If there lay no grievance between us, lord, still the kingship would rightly come to you, the eldest here of the house of Finwë, and not the least wise.'"

"But Maedhros restrained his brothers, and they departed from the council, and soon afterwards they left Mithrim and went eastward beyond Aros to the wide lands about the Hill of Himring. That region was named thereafter the March of Maedhros; for northwards there was little defence of hill or river against assault from Angband. There Maedhros and his brothers kept watch, gathering all such people as would come to them, and they had few dealings with their kinsfolk westward, save at need. It is said indeed that Maedhros himself devised this plan, to lessen the chances of strife, and because he was very willing that the chief peril of assault should fall upon himself; and he remained for his part in friendship with the houses of Fingolfin and Finarfin, and would come among them at times for common counsel. "

"Then Caranthir looked kindly upon Men and did Haleth great honour; and he offered her recompense for her father and brother. "

and "And now Celegorm and Curufin are dwelling in my halls; and though I, Finarfin's son, am King, they have won a strong power in the realm, and lead many of their own people. They have shown friendship to me in every need..."

And so on.

This not only applies to the House of Feanor. What about the romance of Eol and Aredhel? Could Maeglin have had his reasons? Any story is fine, as long as it portrays normally maligned characters in a better light.

Re: Maligned Characters Challenge

Hi Aramel,

I'm sorry, but this thread is for the discussion of Challenges that have already received 5 pledges from authors, who are willing to write a story for it, and have been officially opened. I'm assuming that this Challenge idea has not gotten 5 pledges elsewhere?

Please create a new topic and repost this in the Prospective Challenges thread, and from there you can corner five victims into writing a story for it.

Thanks!

~Nienna

Re: Maligned Characters Challenge

Oops! Sorry.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Challenges: Story Discussions