Forum: Writing Mary Sue: the Mother of Challenges

Discussing: Nienor

Nienor

Is Nienor, Turin's sister (whom he ended up marrying, yikes!) a minor enough character to be considered an MS for this Challenge?

Re: Nienor

Um... depends on what you're asking. If you want Nienor to romance a major male character, I'm not sure. I'm tempted to say 'yes.'

If you want Nienor to be the object of a Mary Sue's affections in a femslash way, then Nienor's status as major or minor character doesn't matter--she's fair game.

I'm thinking an angsty vignette concerning Mablung and Nienor. I've always wanted to see a story revolving around these two, and since no one else seems to see it the same way... so, does a Nienor-Mablung fic apply to this challenge?

Hm. Still tempted, but uncertain. Opinions, folks? We all know Nienor pretty well as the sister and bride of the ill-fated Túrin. Does that notoriety take her out of the running. If I think about it, I probably know more about Nienor's life story (despite my not being a major Silm expert) than I do about Arwen's, and I don't think Arwen counts as a minor female character.

Comments? Opinions? I'll forward the question to the owner of the challenge as well, to see what she says. If she says "sure" then I'd say that trumps. What do you think?

Well, I guess I'll just wait to see what the challenge owner has to say. In any case, I suppose this is a type of fic that does not need a challenge to survive, so it shouldn't matter, right? Hmm.

I probably know more about Nienor's life story (despite my not being a major Silm expert) than I do about Arwen's, and I don't think Arwen counts as a minor female character.

Good point. Perhaps the "size" of a canon character also depends on the effect they have on the main story and its other characters? In which case, Nienor does have a fairly important role in the Silm... although Turin was the most prominent in the lay of the Children of Hurin. Hmm.

Amanhalaiz recently said in response to my inquiry:

So, if it comes down to me as the challenge author, I'd do what I usually do and defer to the Sue author to choose whether or not Nienor's background is flexible enough for him/her to feel that
characterizing her would be truly challenging.

In other words... both yes and no, as befits one enamoured of Elves. ;-)

;-)

Ah, I should have expected that... well, I guess I'll just leave this story as a stand alone, since it wasn't written with the intention of submitting it... I think I'll just stick with one Mary Sue, that one was bad enough.

Anyhow, thanks for your help, Dwim!

Klose, dear, I do hope you have your school work done. Is it?...Okay, now how about that nap you've been needing?

Mother, just checking in!

Nessime

Re: Klose's Sleep :)

Well, Mom (heehee), I have come to the conclusion that in this quantum universe, the Laws of Physics have defined that the scenario of me having my homework done is a virtual paradox.

But seriously, thanks for asking... I actually woke up feeling very stoned today, and I just came back home from a 12 hour school day... I'm going to sleep right now!

Re: Klose's Sleep :)

Wow! I can't get my own two to get off the computer until 2 or 3 in the morning, and they're right here in the same house with me!

Glad to see that you're taking this seriously though. We do care about you.

Maybe once school is out, and if you've been very good, we'll throw a party for you, nuzgul and all!

Nessime (shedding her Mom role)

Ah, I should have expected that... well, I guess I'll just leave this story as a stand alone, since it wasn't written with the intention of submitting it... I think I'll just stick with one Mary Sue, that one was bad enough.

Yeah. I'm going to say ix-nay on Nienor in my capacity as Challenges Manager, given that the owner of the challenge didn't give a clear indication of her views.

Reason: Nienor is a major figure in Túrin's life, and we know more about her than we know about Arwen. Arwen doesn't count as a minor canonical; ergo, neither does Nienor. Sorry all those who may have wanted to do a Nienor/Canonical Male fic.

>>I think I'll just stick with one Mary Sue, that one was bad enough.>>

Yeah.

So it really was that bad, huh? ;-)

Hey, it's alright. I think these sort of stories can survive on their own... considering that Nienor and Canonical Males (ahem) should fairly established characters...

Nessime wrote:
Maybe once school is out, and if you've been very good, we'll throw a party for you, nuzgul and all!

Ooh! Really? Cool! What a motivating factor!

>>I think I'll just stick with one Mary Sue, that one was bad enough.>>

Yeah.

So it really was that bad, huh? ;-)

Neh? Oy, bad positioning on my part. Was commenting on you only get to do one MS because I'm nixing Nienor as a possibility. Sorry. I peeked into chapter one once, long ago, then wandered away. Thought the little dinner scene with mum and dad about lack of spouse was amusing.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Writing Mary Sue: the Mother of Challenges